Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2024 3:43 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (A)

4 empty possessions to open second half.

1/20/2024 3:48 pm  #27

The team is struggling mightily to find scoring. How about a little Savrasov?

1/20/2024 4:32 pm  #28

I mean they have to be throwing this game right, and all the games at this point. Rozier must be in heavy on St. Joe's. It's absolutely incredible.

1/20/2024 4:49 pm  #29

phil95 wrote:

The team is struggling mightily to find scoring. How about a little Savrasov?

It seems bazaar that Andrea is not getting even a minute in these last few games?

1/20/2024 4:49 pm  #30

Shoulda drew up a 3 with 13 seconds left.   Tie, on a nice play by Hronsky,  but then that happens or at best OT on the road.

Just a brutal ending.  Heads will be hanging low tonight. 

Good effort by Hronsky and DeMichele.  I liked our D in the 2nd half, kept us in the game.

Drame, Dixon and Barre looked good at FT line.

1/20/2024 4:56 pm  #31

Stupid plays by stupid players.... Rozier this one is on you!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by CalDuke (1/20/2024 4:59 pm)

1/20/2024 4:59 pm  #32

CalDuke wrote:

Stupid plays by stupid players.... Rozier this one is on you!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% If he has that little composure in that situation at the end of the game where he can't even handle the ball or stay on the right side of the court, he shouldn't be in at the end of close games. A two point lead and they gave away three straight possessions with plays that middle schoolers wouldn't have made. It's INEXCUSABLE!

1/20/2024 5:05 pm  #33

What amazes me is that we are half way through our schedule, and the coach still doesn’t know  who can do what for this team. The analyst even alluded to this by saying Hronsky and DiMichele really haven’t played until the last two games. The play after the timeout near the end of the game with Tre Clark taking a three shows the coach doesn’t know how to end a game
with a set play. It took a one on one move by Hronsky to tie the game, another indication that the coach has no clue. We have some very talented players but no one knows who they are playing with and therefore no consistency. We have some very talented players but a lack of coaching is our demise. It was a great effort by our players but a little bit of coaching puts them over the top. As one of my daughters said to me while watching the game, why doesn’t he coach the situation instead of Complaining about the last play. And the other two daughters who played college ball agreed. This coach ought to coach instead of constantly crying!!!

1/20/2024 5:17 pm  #34

My feed cut out for a few seconds on that backcourt violation. Was it Rozier or Jake who threw the inbound pass to the player in the backcourt?

Why was that player in the backcourt to receive a pass?

kidd082000 wrote:

CalDuke wrote:

100% If he has that little composure in that situation at the end of the game where he can't even handle the ball or stay on the right side of the court, he shouldn't be in at the end of close games. A two point lead and they gave away three straight possessions with plays that middle schoolers wouldn't have made. It's INEXCUSABLE!

Last edited by phil95 (1/20/2024 5:18 pm)

1/20/2024 5:22 pm  #35

Once again, we put ourselves in position to win the game. Coaches put players in position. Players execute. Some of those mistakes down the stretch were elementary. Brutal loss. We maintained those explosive guards pretty well.

Phil, Barre received the entry pass in the backcourt and dished it to Rozier before Rozier crossed half. Every big knows to wait a half a second and just hand it to the guard. Brutal error. And then a turnover by Rozier. Even so, we still had a chance to win. This team is snakebit at the moment. But things change quickly. This team is certainly down, but not out.

1/20/2024 5:25 pm  #36

kidd082000 wrote:

CalDuke wrote:

I didn't think it was back and forth because Rozier didn't touch the ball until he crossed the center line. He is allowed to go back and receive that pass.  I think we got screwed there.

1/20/2024 5:25 pm  #37

phil95 wrote:

My feed cut out for a few seconds on that backcourt violation. Was it Rozier or Jake who threw the inbound pass to the player in the backcourt?

Why was that player in the backcourt to receive a pass?

kidd082000 wrote:

CalDuke wrote:

Throwing the ball into the back court to a big is the correct move!!! But the point guard should also receive the ball in the backcourt from the big to start the play. The coach should reiterate this to the point guard because he is going to start the play and you don’t want the big to bring it over the timeline. But I’ll bet there was no play or instructions on how to run a play. On the coach!!!

1/20/2024 5:40 pm  #38

This is the second time Dusan started and again had no rebounds. I like his size and his potential to put the ball in, but he is not ready to be a starter at this point.  Our 3 point shooting keep us close, but again trying to feed it in the paint is too slow and not producing enough points to win games. Once again our defense did a good enough to win any game if we scored 75 points per game. This low scoring inside game isn't working very well.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/20/2024 5:51 pm)

1/20/2024 5:51 pm  #39

On the last possession for St. Joes -  WHY NOT INSERT NICHOLLS for one of the guards??  Can appreciate the efforts by Jake, Kareem and Matteus to try to overcome the match up problems throughout the game. 99% of the fans probably expected St Joes to drive to the hoop,,,maybe with Nicholls size and athleticism the other guys can play straight up...  maybe St Joes still scores...  but doesn't look like the staff gave the team the best shot at winning

1/20/2024 5:52 pm  #40

Nothing I can say that hasn’t been said.
The Coop will be empty Tuesday. Sure hope Dru Joyce does better if he takes over. No NCAA or NIT in 7 years. The constant is the head coach. Sorry, that is factual.

1/20/2024 5:53 pm  #41

Chabi & Dixon did some very nice things today. They looked, for the most part, more under control. That was very promising. However, I don't understand keeping a 5th-year Tre Williams, who has been playing solidly, on the bench for the last 13-14 minutes.

NapaDuke wrote:

This is the second time Dusan started and again had no rebounds. I like his size and his potential to put the ball in, but he is not ready to be a starter at this point.  Our 3 point shooting keep us close, but again trying to feed it in the paint is too slow and not producing enough points to win games. Once again our defense did a good enough to win any game if we scored 70 points per game. This low scoring inside game isn't working very well.

1/20/2024 5:54 pm  #42

SkepticAl wrote:

On the last possession for St. Joes -  WHY NOT INSERT NICHOLLS for one of the guards??  Can appreciate the efforts by Jake, Kareem and Matteus to try to overcome the match up problems throughout the game. 99% of the fans probably expected St Joes to drive to the hoop,,,maybe with Nicholls size and athleticism the other guys can play straight up...  maybe St Joes still scores...  but doesn't look like the staff gave the team the best shot at winning

Great point.  We didn't make the best moves in the closing minute to win again.

1/20/2024 5:55 pm  #43

Dusan is too slow, and paired with Williams is a disaster.   I assume the injury has just stripped him of any quickness.   Our bigs were never going to be scoring options, but they better rebound, play good D, block a shot or two.   

Last edited by townsonkid (1/20/2024 5:56 pm)

1/20/2024 6:08 pm  #44

Asking Mahorcic to guard an opposing center with mobility & 3-point shooting capabilities is a non-starter. He just can't do that at this point. The issue is only compounded by the expectation for all players to be switching constantly in DU's current defensive scheme. It's a shame but, Dusan is, at this point, very hard to play.

townsonkid wrote:

Dusan is too slow, and paired with Williams is a disaster.   I assume the injury has just stripped him of any quickness.   Our bigs were never going to be scoring options, but they better rebound, play good D, block a shot or two.   

1/20/2024 6:25 pm  #45

townsonkid wrote:

The last two games, that pair dug us a hole to start and to start the second half.  Barre and Dixon proved today that they should both be in there as starters, and Dusan and Williams should come off the bench only, not the other way around. 

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/20/2024 6:31 pm)

1/20/2024 7:28 pm  #46

The Dukes played hard and nearly got their first League win without their leading scorer.  It was a very entertaining basketball game but unfortunately again self-inflicted wounds killed us. I like the way DiMichele and Hronsky played today and they both need to be a big part of the rotation going forward.  One of things I like about these guys is that they drive the ball and make things happen off of their drives.  I am hoping that the Dukes can turn this around and make a run.  There is no question the Dukes can play with any team in this League, they just need to eliminated the self-inflicted wounds and finish.  

One other note, there is no question that if the Dukes are going to turn this around we neeed better play at the point, especially with Dae Dae out. Someone pointed out that Kareem who leads the team in minutes played only attempted 10 free throws all year.  That is an incredible stat and speaks volumes about the Dambrot offense.  

2023-24 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

Last edited by CLK (1/20/2024 7:38 pm)

1/21/2024 6:07 pm  #47

I know everyone is in “Dambrot is the devil” mode right now..blaming him for Rozier turning the ball over, Drame traveling, and Barre throwing it to Rozier too early for a backcourt violation…..But how about his decision out of the timeout in a game down 2 with 13 seconds left to go to Hronsky down low. Gutsy decision. When everyone in the gym was looking to Clark and Dimichele, he went to Hronsky. I thought that was a damn good chess move.

1/21/2024 7:25 pm  #48

City,
There are of course 2 parts of this and I appreciate your support for the coach and team.  However, both of these are facts...not an opinion.
1.  Yes, the players the last few games have been the cause of losing by two points and mucking it up at the end of the games.
2.  With that said, if you read many coaching philosophies, a general one, though you don't have to agree, is that when teams get blown out or lose by a lot of points often it's because they just don't have the players.  Though the coach is responsible for recruiting, we won't go there here.  When teams lose a number of close games, theyplayers are there but the coach didn't do what was needed.  Again, you don't have to agree.

However, this is year 7 with the same coach and I don't see any of the following:
1.  An at large NCAA Bid
2.  An NIT bid
3.  Them winning the A-10, or even getting to the finals.
So if this is true, 7 years of no tournaments (I don't count the CBI - you have to pay to play...and when they did, they lost there also.) for Coach D.

I hope Dru Joyce is given a chance and I hope Dambrot doesn't get another contract.  Not because I dislike him, but because he hasn't succeeded.

1/21/2024 8:06 pm  #49

I was shocked & impressed by the play call for Hronsky. Given the team's general lack of success executing set plays in general & ATO plays in particular, it was kind of genius in its simplicity as well as its unlikely choice of shooter.

I have disliked KD's coaching philosophies & public persona from very early on. However, I thought he was an outstanding hire 7 years ago based on his maturity, experience, success at Akron, & deep desire to help his dad's Alma mater return to college basketball prominence while taking a big step up in his own career. I feel no different about the hire now.

I believe that KD has helped to put the program on better footing than it has been on in decades. His tenure has produced some conditions that should give the next coach a strong possibility of enjoying the kind of success we all so desperately yearn for. Thanks to him for that. I know that was hard as hell to do.

I don't see the current coach as the devil. He is simply a person that has failed to meet the expectations for a very prestigious & demanding job after having given ample time, compensation, institutional support, & resources to do so. There are less than 400 of these jobs on the planet. You either win & stay, win & move up the food chain, retire or lose & leave.

1/22/2024 1:35 am  #50

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen....

Board footera