Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2024 5:08 pm  #1

​IF, but only IF....

IF, but only IF there is a definitive plan of succession in place whereby Joyce becomes the Dukes coach at the end of this season, I respectfully request that KD be removed now so that Joyce can be evaluated by his results & actions during a lengthy, real-world audition lasting the remainder of the season.

1/20/2024 5:12 pm  #2

Re: ​IF, but only IF....

I totally agree, as I watched Joyce calmly talk to the referees near the end of the game to get clarification, and then maybe talk to the team calmly to bring home a winner!!!!

1/20/2024 5:13 pm  #3

phil95 wrote:

IF, but only IF there is a definitive plan of succession in place whereby Joyce becomes the Dukes coach at the end of this season, I respectfully request that KD be removed now so that Joyce can be evaluated by his results & actions during a lengthy, real-world audition lasting the remainder of the season.

Agree.

1/20/2024 5:49 pm  #4

I agree....I've never more disappointed as Dukes Basketball Fan. At my age at 70 and over 50 years supporting this team I DESERVE better.

1/20/2024 5:59 pm  #5

we all deserve better.   Just once in my adult life I would love to see my school's name in the NCAA tourn bracket.   Is that too much to ask?   I guess it might be.

1/20/2024 6:30 pm  #6

If a plan is in place, that puts a failing assistant coach in as the anointed successor to a failed head coach, they will never see me even watch a game on TV.  Let alone attend.

1/20/2024 6:43 pm  #7

DuqBlue wrote:

If a plan is in place, that puts a failing assistant coach in as the anointed successor to a failed head coach, they will never see me even watch a game on TV. Let alone attend.

No one actually really knows how Dru would coach, so, I think it would be a great move right now to turn the program over to him right now. Jamie Dixon was not on the list when Howland left, only the players insistence did Pitt give Jamie a chance and that worked out better then starting over. Giving Joyce a chance right now is a smart move with no down side. Keeping KD at this point just does not make sense. This is the exact time for DU to make a move. And considering  KD's age, he's done.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/20/2024 7:07 pm)

1/20/2024 7:08 pm  #8

NapaDuke wrote:

DuqBlue wrote:

If a plan is in place, that puts a failing assistant coach in as the anointed successor to a failed head coach, they will never see me even watch a game on TV. Let alone attend.

No one actually really knows how Dru would coach, so, I think it would be a great move right now to turn the program over to him right now. Jamie Dixon was not on the list when Howland left, only the players insistence did Pitt give Jamie a chance and that worked out better then starting over. Giving Joyce a chance right now is a smart move with no down side. Keeping KD at this point just does not make sense. This is the exact time for DU to make a move.

Ben Howland was a success at Pitt.  So an assistant replacing him makes sense. 

Dambrot is a failure at Duquesne.   If Dru Joyce was such a spectacular assistant coach, they would not be 0-5.   We see that he isn’t contributing much as an assistant, I don’t need to see him in charge. 

They are never going to fire Dambrot mid season. 

But aren’t we hosting the NCAA tournament again this year?

1/20/2024 7:24 pm  #9

DuqBlue,
This is not a lecture...honest.  But Dru defers to Dambrot in most decisions.  I am sure you have seen (and examples were mentioned) where an assistant was successful.  None of us know if he would be, but his experience as a player, a coach at Cleveland State and here, etc. ... I believe he should be given an opportunity.  However, not a 7 year contract.

1/20/2024 7:32 pm  #10

FAM wrote:

DuqBlue,
This is not a lecture...honest.  But Dru defers to Dambrot in most decisions.  I am sure you have seen (and examples were mentioned) where an assistant was successful.  None of us know if he would be, but his experience as a player, a coach at Cleveland State and here, etc. ... I believe he should be given an opportunity.  However, not a 7 year contract.

Yes I don’t wish to argue.   They aren’t going to fire Dambrot.   So Joyce as an interim is not going to happen.  That may be a viable test but if is not going to happen. 

Of course, assistant coaches become successful coaches.  Rarely does someone start as a head coach. 

But are you willing to take a chance with a 5 year contract on an assistant coach of a failed regime becoming your next head coach?   

I’m not.     Thats my last comment this season.  We are know how this is ending.  Peace my friends!

Last edited by DuqBlue (1/20/2024 8:11 pm)

1/20/2024 8:20 pm  #11

This team has talent. Coach Dambrot has failed down the stretch. He is no Chess  player nor a checker player. Schmidt comes this week to the CooperCenter. You would think the Dukes get their first conference win. If however the game is close Schmidt & the Bonnie’s no doubt walk away with the win. Dru Joyce getting the short end based upon the current underachieving  Dukes. Personally, if the dukes go one & done in the A10 tournament Joyce has an uphill battle. Coach Dambrot kick your game up. Season not over yet but the end is near. Go Dukes

1/21/2024 8:21 am  #12

One final point WVU which stinks beat #3 Kansas & worse yet Pitt wins at Duke after getting killed at home last week. I am getting tired of this💩

1/21/2024 8:54 am  #13

Where do I find last night's post-game presser video? Thanks in advance.

1/21/2024 11:51 am  #14

I am guessing there was none.  Only 2 days between games so I imagine getting on bus back home was priority.  Probably a presser at practice?  Not sure.

Board footera