Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2024 3:22 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (A)

Wildwood13 wrote:

What amazes me is that we are half way through our schedule, and the coach still doesn’t know  who can do what for this team. The analyst even alluded to this by saying Hronsky and DiMichele really haven’t played until the last two games. The play after the timeout near the end of the game with Tre Clark taking a three shows the coach doesn’t know how to end a game
with a set play. It took a one on one move by Hronsky to tie the game, another indication that the coach has no clue. We have some very talented players but no one knows who they are playing with and therefore no consistency. We have some very talented players but a lack of coaching is our demise. It was a great effort by our players but a little bit of coaching puts them over the top. As one of my daughters said to me while watching the game, why doesn’t he coach the situation instead of Complaining about the last play. And the other two daughters who played college ball agreed. This coach ought to coach instead of constantly crying!!!

Wildwood your daughter’s observation is spot on. I don’t know this for fact that based on your previous posts you may have refereed on the High School level. If I am correct as a referee how would you handle a Coach chirping on every call against his team? Would that coach get a reputation throughout the Referee community? My problem is that the players pick up on the head coach complaining 24/7. They lose their focus. Look no referees are perfect. Bad calls do occur within a game. Accept the call & adjust to the game as it unfolds. Deal with the situation. A good coach accepts & moves forward. Sometimes like the Nebraska game Dambrots self inflicted technical was clearly justified. Again the coach does a great disservice to his or hers team as a coach. As Tom Hanks said” there is no crying in baseball”

1/22/2024 3:42 pm  #52

If you guys really think Dambrot is a complainer, you either do not watch a lot of basketball or just don’t like the guy. I guess it is all relative, but have you watched other coaches? The Hurleys, for example? Nate Oats? Huggins? I do not think he works the officials nearly as much as he even could or even should.  I am glad he has started to more as of late, but thats what happens when Nebraska and Richmond happen.You lose patience for it. That is human.  They have been terrible and Duquesne is treated like a step-child by this league’s officials. I love the fact that someone is finally willing to speak to it and stand up for these players’ efforts.

Also, this is a guy who was the chairman of the ncaa basketball rules committee. I’d bet he has a pretty good understanding of how games should be officiated.

https://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-basketball/2015/8/28/9220067/keith-dambrot-ncaa-rules-committee-chairman

Last edited by CityDuke (1/22/2024 3:57 pm)

1/22/2024 4:25 pm  #53

CityDuke wrote:

If you guys really think Dambrot is a complainer, you either do not watch a lot of basketball or just don’t like the guy. I guess it is all relative, but have you watched other coaches? The Hurleys, for example? Nate Oats? Huggins? I do not think he works the officials nearly as much as he even could or even should.  I am glad he has started to more as of late, but thats what happens when Nebraska and Richmond happen.You lose patience for it. That is human.  They have been terrible and Duquesne is treated like a step-child by this league’s officials. I love the fact that someone is finally willing to speak to it and stand up for these players’ efforts.

Also, this is a guy who was the chairman of the ncaa basketball rules committee. I’d bet he has a pretty good understanding of how games should be officiated.

https://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-basketball/2015/8/28/9220067/keith-dambrot-ncaa-rules-committee-chairman

I have no issue with KD’s level of chirping/complaining.  I watch every single game live or on tv and it never occurred to me that he complains to the officials more than most.  I will say that the man seems not to enjoy any moment of the game though. I’d say he yells at his team more than he yells at the refs.

1/22/2024 4:47 pm  #54

I forgot we had a (former?) ref on the board. Wildwood, what’s your take on the backcourt call? Now let me first say there is absolutely no excuse for it to even be close. I was confused live, and on replay it looked to me like they got it wrong. Kareem was set in the front court, but it looked to me like the ball was still in the backcourt, or at worst on the line, when he caught it.

I will say the foul on Kareem shortly after was the worst call I’ve seen. Luckily Greer (I think it was) missed the foul shot so it didn’t have any effect. They showed three replays of the foul though and I didn’t even see what the ref could have thought he saw. Kareem was totally vertical and never even touched him (which might explain why he made the runner).

We played sloppy and are fully to blame for losing a very winnable game. I thought the officiating was terrible though. I think Dambrot was fully justified in letting the refs know what he thought.

1/22/2024 6:07 pm  #55

luckymcd, the backcourt call was absolutely correct.  Rozier did not yet establish position in the backcourt when he first touched the ball (jumping over the center court line); thus he first touched the ball in the frontcourt and brought it into the backcourt.  This screwup was on Barre for not waiting for Rozier to take the ball from him. 

1/22/2024 6:34 pm  #56

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

luckymcd, the backcourt call was absolutely correct.  Rozier did not yet establish position in the backcourt when he first touched the ball (jumping over the center court line); thus he first touched the ball in the frontcourt and brought it into the backcourt.  This screwup was on Barre for not waiting for Rozier to take the ball from him. 

Perhaps my understanding of the rule is wrong. If (and it is really close even on replay so I truly mean if) the ball was in the backcourt when he caught it (and I assume on the line means still in the backcourt) would it still have been a violation because he was standing in the front court?

1/22/2024 6:36 pm  #57

If he didn’t establish himself in the backcourt again (both feet on the floor)after being in the frontcourt before catching the pass, then it is a backcourt violation.  If the player establishes in the frontcourt and is in the air when he catches the pass from the backcourt  and lands in the backcourt it is a violation.

1/22/2024 6:42 pm  #58

Thanks for the clarification guys. I still don’t know  what the ref who called the foul on Rozier just afterwards saw or thought he saw.

1/22/2024 6:48 pm  #59

There was literally nothing Kareem could have done in that case to avoid the violation, unless he avoided the ball and let it sail onto the court, possibly leading to an open-court turnover and layup.  It seems a few people on the Board placed blame on Kareem for this blunder.  It was clearly not his fault!

1/22/2024 8:07 pm  #60

Hey guys all I am saying is coach the  game. Tomorrow watch Mark Schmidt. I hope the Dukes prevail but game day strategy is getting old. This team has potential. You have to prevail over bad calls. 💩happens. Can’t go 0-6 in A10. Criminal based upon the University support. 

1/23/2024 1:08 pm  #61

Ironduke81 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

What amazes me is that we are half way through our schedule, and the coach still doesn’t know  who can do what for this team. The analyst even alluded to this by saying Hronsky and DiMichele really haven’t played until the last two games. The play after the timeout near the end of the game with Tre Clark taking a three shows the coach doesn’t know how to end a game
with a set play. It took a one on one move by Hronsky to tie the game, another indication that the coach has no clue. We have some very talented players but no one knows who they are playing with and therefore no consistency. We have some very talented players but a lack of coaching is our demise. It was a great effort by our players but a little bit of coaching puts them over the top. As one of my daughters said to me while watching the game, why doesn’t he coach the situation instead of Complaining about the last play. And the other two daughters who played college ball agreed. This coach ought to coach instead of constantly crying!!!

Wildwood your daughter’s observation is spot on. I don’t know this for fact that based on your previous posts you may have refereed on the High School level. If I am correct as a referee how would you handle a Coach chirping on every call against his team? Would that coach get a reputation throughout the Referee community? My problem is that the players pick up on the head coach complaining 24/7. They lose their focus. Look no referees are perfect. Bad calls do occur within a game. Accept the call & adjust to the game as it unfolds. Deal with the situation. A good coach accepts & moves forward. Sometimes like the Nebraska game Dambrots self inflicted technical was clearly justified. Again the coach does a great disservice to his or hers team as a coach. As Tom Hanks said” there is no crying in baseball”

I have been an high school official for 30 years and small college for 2 years but the pay and travel didn’t make sense for small college officials. I got a late start as I coached at various levels for 30 years. Now the division 1 officials get nice money. They have to lay out a good bit of money to attend the camps of the assigning official of each conference. After attending and paying for these camps for a few years they might get picked up by that conference. Then their travel is insane to say the least. How these guys handle a regular job and family is beyond me.  Now getting to your questions, of course there are coaches that are known complainers. Then there are ones that just don’t know how to talk to officials. That would be about 10% of the coaches. All you can do is give the coach a warning that if you keep going you are getting a T.  Now that 10% of coaches run into trouble because each official has a different temperament. Some will give all the 50/50 calls to the non complainers. Others may even give a few bad calls to the complaining coach. But most officials and coaches are in good standing, where the official and coach talk like normal human beings. Officials understand some times a coach may get over excited about a call and let it go after talking the play over.  The coach then tries to go back to his team and settle them down and tell them to adjust to the referees because we all call things differently. Do officials miss calls, of course, these kids are big and sometimes get in your line of vision thus blocking you from seeing something. Or maybe they are keeping a close eye on two players that have been going at it and that don’t want that situation to escalate. Those are just a few examples of why good officials miss calls. Then there are just some referees that are bad. I myself do not referee some high schools because I can’t take the constant complainers, and basically do it as a hobby and stay close to the game. I’m 65 and still considered one of the younger officials because young guys are not getting into officiating. I hope this answered your question.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (1/23/2024 1:16 pm)

1/23/2024 2:53 pm  #62

I have never gotten to impression that KD was hard on officials or a constant complainer.  He stands out in the open in clear view of the crowd and officials.  Outside of the memorable outburst vs. Penn State at PPG several years ago, his behavior seems to be far less threatening than many coaches. 
Good post “Wildwood”, I’ve been on both sides of the Coach/Referee position.  I had a few techniques as a coach to get my point across to the refs while avoiding direct confrontation, such as keeping a running dialogue going with my assistants when I thought we were getting screwed.  I only got one “T” in all my years coaching, so it relieved some stress and seemed to work.

Board footera