Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2024 9:24 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (H)

Well it certainly wasn’t pretty, but sitting on 0-5 we didn’t need style points. We just needed a W. Good effort Dukes.

1/23/2024 9:46 pm  #27

Almost did it again (lose).  Duquesne's new med school should start a promotion of passing out blood thinners at the 5 minute mark of every game.  

1/23/2024 10:01 pm  #28

Good things the Bonnies missed some free throws because we sure did. Let's get Grant back to help out the offense and continue playing D like we did today. Start stacking some wins.

1/23/2024 10:04 pm  #29

It wasn't pretty and we again don't score enough to win, but thank God St. B. was worse.

1/23/2024 10:49 pm  #30

The Dukes desperately needed a win and they got one.  End of story.  Let's see if they can get another on Saturday at home against Fordham.

1/23/2024 10:56 pm  #31

I'm so happy Duquesne won. Bonaventure seemed to miss a bunch of open shots. I'm with Phoenix... I'm celebrating the win before dissecting this too deep. 15 points allowed in one half lowest of Dambrot era.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/23/2024 10:56 pm)

1/24/2024 8:16 am  #32

Won that game with defense rather than offense for sure.  Dukes will need to work on inbounds plays and avoiding the trap when they have the ball.  But it  was great to see such an intense defensive effort and to come out on top . Cogratulations to both playes and coaches.

1/24/2024 9:17 am  #33

1/24/2024 11:36 am  #34

An ugly win is a win!

Let’s beat Forham.

1/24/2024 11:53 am  #35

townsonkid wrote:

i paid for espn+, so I will watch, just wondering what way the Dukes will invent to lose.   Seems we are in every game as of late, but fumble away the chance for the W.   
Part of me wants Grant's 15 ppg back, part of me wants to see more Hronsky, Necas, Nichols and DiMichele.

Necas?????

1/24/2024 12:11 pm  #36

Just knew this wasn't going to be easy!! Cudos to our defense especially in the first half. Sure, Bona missed some open shots here and there but that defense that we threw at them was stifling. We do more of the same, the wins will come. Need Grant back and still curious to see more of Dusan on the court.
GO DUKES, not FLUKES. Think that was for real last night!!

1/24/2024 12:27 pm  #37

Dukes are now #94 in NET; moved up 7 spots after the win over the Bonnies.  #8 in the A10, but only 18 spots behind the #2 team, Saint Joe's.  Dayton is up to 14 in the NET.

1/24/2024 12:35 pm  #38

You have to be impressed with the team's grit. No Dae Dae, no great game from Jimmy, & terrible shooting night in the midst of a long losing streak is not an easy set of circumstances to overcome.

NEED to have Dae Dae back & win the next 2 to right the ship.

1/24/2024 12:42 pm  #39

phil95 wrote:

You have to be impressed with the team's grit. No Dae Dae, no great game from Jimmy, & terrible shooting night in the midst of a long losing streak is not an easy set of circumstances to overcome.

NEED to have Dae Dae back & win the next 2 to right the ship.

Great game Monkey off our backs.
As far as Dae Dae goes someone yelled down to him as he was near my seats and asked when he will be back?
His reply SOON so hopefully Fordham

Ageee with Phil need the next 2!

1/24/2024 12:54 pm  #40

Albaby wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

i paid for espn+, so I will watch, just wondering what way the Dukes will invent to lose.   Seems we are in every game as of late, but fumble away the chance for the W.   
Part of me wants Grant's 15 ppg back, part of me wants to see more Hronsky, Necas, Nichols and DiMichele.

Necas?????

Nescas does a lot of little things well, especially defensively. You can tell that he has been well coached. However, there is no question that Necas has struggled offensively so far.  In the last 4 games he has played he logged over 45 minutes and only scored 2 points off of 2-4 free throws.  I think a lot of it is gaining his confidence on his three-point shooting which he exclusively seems to be doing.  If I was his coach, however, I would tell him that he needs to use that big, strong, athletic body to drive the ball and post up more like he did in international play.   This kid is a scoring machine ready to explode.He needs to gain confidence and be play to his strengths.  

1/24/2024 1:47 pm  #41

CLK wrote:

Nescas does a lot of little things well, especially defensively. You can tell that he has been well coached. However, there is no question that Necas has struggled offensively so far.  In the last 4 games he has played he logged over 45 minutes and only scored 2 points off of 2-4 free throws.  I think a lot of it is gaining his confidence on his three-point shooting which he exclusively seems to be doing.  If I was his coach, however, I would tell him that he needs to use that big, strong, athletic body to drive the ball and post up more like he did in international play.   This kid is a scoring machine ready to explode.He needs to gain confidence and be play to his strengths.  

There is so much upside in Necas' game; but as you pointed out, CLK, he is struggling immensely to score.  He has only taken 30 shots from the field this year, but 23 of those shots have been from 3 point range (making only 4 for a 17.4% 3pt%). Because he is not making those outside shots, defenses are sagging to prevent him from driving giving him the 3 point shot.  The coaching staff needs to help get his confidence back; a set play or two designed for him to cut and get a back screen from one of our bigs might help spark him.  

1/24/2024 1:56 pm  #42

1/24/2024 3:01 pm  #43

1/24/2024 4:01 pm  #44

1. Great story
2. Is the author of the story the woman that asks the great questions during the post-game press conferences?
3. I do not recall reading previously that Jake turned down 5 D-1 offers before coming to Duquesne. How many others knew this?

1/24/2024 4:08 pm  #45

phil95 wrote:

1. Great story
2. Is the author of the story the woman that asks the great questions during the post-game press conferences?
3. I do not recall reading previously that Jake turned down 5 D-1 offers before coming to Duquesne. How many others knew this?

I knew he had "offers" from the likes of Lehigh and Holy Cross but I always didn't understand what that meant because at the same time they say he got no D-1 offers. The article states those schools offered him academic scholarships but not an athletic full-ride. Still... Lehigh is not a bad program and a great education. Turning down an academic scholarship there with an offer to play basketball as well to walk-on at Duquesne? Gutsy.

1/24/2024 4:20 pm  #46

I read that as Duquesne offered only an academic scholarship while those other 5 schools offered athletic scholarships

1/25/2024 8:06 am  #47

Good observation about Necas shooting sub 20% from 3-point range.  DiMichele is shooting sub-30% from three on 24 attempts, and Hronsky is shooting 33% over 2 seasons.  Savrasov is also shooting in the low 30's and for some reason no longer plays.

Our opponents have to know we do not shoot well from 3 and prepare accordingly.  Also, this provides our opponents with an easier time putting together schemes to make it difficult for Grant.  Prior to Grant's injury, his 3 point shooting percentage was the lowest of his career.  This is likley due to opponents letting our other wings shoot, while making it very difficult for Grant to get open looks.  Something needs to change.  Either we need to find someone who is a 40% plus 3-point shooter to spread the floor, or we have to make adjustments to get Grant better looks.  On the same note, Rozier is our best 3-point shooter, so it makes sense to try and get him open looks.  He is a very good shooter when he has a good look.  Too much dribbling and not enough ball reversals.  

1/25/2024 8:26 am  #48

lakersnixon wrote:

Good observation about Necas shooting sub 20% from 3-point range.  DiMichele is shooting sub-30% from three on 24 attempts, and Hronsky is shooting 33% over 2 seasons.  Savrasov is also shooting in the low 30's and for some reason no longer plays.

Our opponents have to know we do not shoot well from 3 and prepare accordingly.  Also, this provides our opponents with an easier time putting together schemes to make it difficult for Grant.  Prior to Grant's injury, his 3 point shooting percentage was the lowest of his career.  This is likley due to opponents letting our other wings shoot, while making it very difficult for Grant to get open looks.  Something needs to change.  Either we need to find someone who is a 40% plus 3-point shooter to spread the floor, or we have to make adjustments to get Grant better looks.  On the same note, Rozier is our best 3-point shooter, so it makes sense to try and get him open looks.  He is a very good shooter when he has a good look.  Too much dribbling and not enough ball reversals.  

Great observations, but 3 pt shooting late on the shot clock is usually a careless shot and is a lot different then attempting to score early on the clock from designed 3 pt plays.  It doesn't seem to be part of our offense. The Dukes spend too much time and effort feeding the ball to our bigs in the paint and go deep on the shot clock trying, so likely half of our 3 pt shots are just careless attempts to beat the shot clock. Also, we seem to have no one attempting to box out and be in position to rebound 3 pt shots maybe because it's late on the shot clock and not from designed plays.

1/25/2024 10:26 am  #49

1/25/2024 10:29 am  #50

You should add poor spacing, lack of movement/cutting, half-assed dribble penetration, & bad use of screens to your accurate list of deficiencies. The offense is a mess.

There is plenty of size, athleticism, experience, & talent on this team for it to be otherwise but, the offense remains a mess, mess, mess. After 7 years, it just has to be the coaching.

lakersnixon wrote:

Board footera