Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2024 9:18 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Chicago State University Cougars

CityDuke wrote:

I wondered when the “hating” as my daughter would say would re-commence. I’m busy watching us hold another team to 60 or less points on our way to our third straight win. Go Dukes! We believe!

It’s a lot flashier to play no defense and win 100-90 even though it’s mostly the same thing, and that’s what people are remembering because we tasted unsustainable success that looked exactly like that 15 years ago.

1/31/2024 9:30 pm  #27

Hey City Duke, I have Duquesne in my blood. I'm a son of the bluff. The fact of the matter is Beating teams like Chicago state in a tight game on your home court isn't going to spur interest. This is a never ending saga of the boy who cried wolf. This team was getting a lot of accolades in the run up to the season. I think it's safe to say they have disappointed.

1/31/2024 9:44 pm  #28

The best thing that happened tonight was that Savrasov got some much needed minutes and the Dukes were on the positive when he was out there. Not going anywhere far without him as a piece of the puzzle and I think Hassan Darme shoud get some minutes as he's a tenacious defender and a very capable three point shooter which is where the Dukes are mightily struggling at this point.

1/31/2024 9:46 pm  #29

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

This takes me back to Eastern Michigan. Who was that guy? Uh, George Gervin.

I was there in the DU Student's section. Can't erase the memory of the last possession, when Gervin exploited a complete absence of defensive presence and waltzed in for an uncontested layup before the buzzer. Not your fault for triggering that memory, as it has never left.

1/31/2024 9:51 pm  #30

Yeah, I remember that was a walk-over win, then became a "Who is that guy?"  Amazing how many of us remember that game, it baffled everyone. 

1/31/2024 9:52 pm  #31

Yeah, I remember that was a walk-over win, then became a "Who is that guy?"  Amazing how many of us remember that game, it baffled everyone. 

1/31/2024 10:02 pm  #32

I like Savrasov.  My feeling is, someone needed to answer for the 0-5 conference start and KD made it him and H Drame. I like Savrasov and he shouldn’t be nailed to the bench BUT I am in the camp of less players in the rotation the better so somebody has to sit and I nominate him. At this point, barring foul trouble, 9 max should get regular run. 

Jimmy
Dae Dae
Jake
David Dixon
Trey Williams
F Drame
Dusan
Rozier
Matus

My starting 5 would be:

Jimmy
Dae Dae
Jake
Dixon
Trey

But I’d like to see, Dusan, and F Drame, play as much as Trey and Dixon.   Matus and Rozier giving Jimmy, Dae Dae, and Jake breathers.   Then the others can grab a few minutes here and there and play when we are in foul trouble

In crunch time tonight KD had Jimmy, Dae Dae, Dixon, F Drame, and Jake out there. I think that tells us who he thinks the best players are

1/31/2024 10:15 pm  #33

Styles1229 wrote:

I like Savrasov. My feeling is, someone needed to answer for the 0-5 conference start and KD made it him and H Drame. I like Savrasov and he shouldn’t be nailed to the bench BUT I am in the camp of less players in the rotation the better so somebody has to sit and I nominate him. At this point, barring foul trouble, 9 max should get regular run.

Jimmy
Dae Dae
Jake
David Dixon
Trey Williams
F Drame
Dusan
Rozier
Matus

My starting 5 would be:

Jimmy
Dae Dae
Jake
Dixon
Trey

But I’d like to see, Dusan, and F Drame, play as much as Trey and Dixon. Matus and Rozier giving Jimmy, Dae Dae, and Jake breathers. Then the others can grab a few minutes here and there and play when we are in foul trouble

In crunch time tonight KD had Jimmy, Dae Dae, Dixon, F Drame, and Jake out there. I think that tells us who he thinks the best players are

I'm good with that five in crunch time, but think the doors may open for Savrasov given his experience down the stretch. He, Duson, and the Drames all came here to get to the dance.

1/31/2024 10:31 pm  #34

I’d like them all to play BUT I don’t see the offense getting any better without a steady, consistent rotation of players. That means someone has to sit

1/31/2024 10:50 pm  #35

Rayrich wrote:

The best thing that happened tonight was that Savrasov got some much needed minutes and the Dukes were on the positive when he was out there. Not going anywhere far without him as a piece of the puzzle and I think Hassan Darme shoud get some minutes as he's a tenacious defender and a very capable three point shooter which is where the Dukes are mightily struggling at this point.

Yes, I noticed that we were out scoring Chi. when Andre was in there. I agree H.Drame should get some time too. It's been strange that Andre sat out so long.

2/01/2024 12:39 am  #36

Styles1229, I'm digging what your putting down. I posted something similar in the other thread but I like your breakdown. But I have to say... I might be in the minority across the board here, but I'm cool with Savrasov getting minimal to no minutes to help trim this rotation. The first three A10 games he posted 2, 2, and 0 points, all with decent to significant minutes. Obviously that's not enough to win, especially with others than can create and with more upside (and he's a senior coming in with experience). And idk what it is, I just don't like his game, he's too small at the 4 and doesn't shoot or move well enough to move him to the 3. I know he had a couple good games during non-conference, but as you know and have seen, the A10 is a different animal.

Separate Topic: I think next year, we need a 3 man that can slash. Bad... and a PG over 6 ft 😁

2/01/2024 7:01 am  #37

Shooting 3 for 20 at the 3 pt range isn't going to help. Chicago hit 40 percent from 3 pt range vs 15 percent for the Dukes.  This whole team really needs to practice shooting. FT could be better too.

2/01/2024 8:18 am  #38

Savrasov better have played aggressively last night or he was done.   He disappears too much to use a lot.   Maybe in a couple 5 minute bursts he can provide a boost.   Its not like Williams is Karl Malone.   If Savs wants to be a bull in a china shop, let him, we need that.
I'd keep an eye on a couple of those CSU players if they enter the portal.

2/01/2024 8:32 am  #39

Good news Fort Duquesne holds the opponent again with solid defense. When was the last time the Dukes beat a ranked team on the road? Chi St did! Second point, according to Ellis there were NBA scouts In attendance. Maybe that’s why Jimmy Clark was all world defensively. Coach Dambrot is gradually adjusting his lineup with the Jimmys & Joes thus he is better with the X’s & O’s. Pretty obvious at this point based on the box score as to who should be decreased PT in order to provide a better opportunity for the others with limited PT. Hopefully, Coach Dambrot makes the necessary adjustments by mid February. Should be interesting this Saturday against the Rams what Coach Joyce does in his debut has a head coach. Prayers to Coach Dambrots wife. Final point a win is a win👍

2/01/2024 10:04 am  #40

2/01/2024 10:32 am  #41

Did I miss something? Will KD be out on Saturday?

Ironduke81 wrote:

Good news Fort Duquesne holds the opponent again with solid defense. When was the last time the Dukes beat a ranked team on the road? Chi St did! Second point, according to Ellis there were NBA scouts In attendance. Maybe that’s why Jimmy Clark was all world defensively. Coach Dambrot is gradually adjusting his lineup with the Jimmys & Joes thus he is better with the X’s & O’s. Pretty obvious at this point based on the box score as to who should be decreased PT in order to provide a better opportunity for the others with limited PT. Hopefully, Coach Dambrot makes the necessary adjustments by mid February. Should be interesting this Saturday against the Rams what Coach Joyce does in his debut has a head coach. Prayers to Coach Dambrots wife. Final point a win is a win👍

2/01/2024 10:54 am  #42

Yes. Wife’s surgery is tomorrow I believe so he’s not making the trip.

2/01/2024 12:32 pm  #43

I was disappointed with last night's overall performance but I think it is worth noting both that all wins are good wins & several positive developments were in evidence.

-Dae Dae is back & played a well rounded game.
-The closing lineup showed no signs of choking. They displayed some poise.
-The team seems to be a tight unit that believes in each other.
-Dixon continued his developmental progress.

2/01/2024 12:38 pm  #44

StillatShales I am with you as to what is needed for next year, not that I am looking that far ahead - I want to see if this team can still make some noise.  Styles I am on board with your starting 5, but I think Dambrot likes bringing Dixon off the bench given his propensity to get into foul trouble plus he gives you a spark with his ability/talent.  I also want to see Matus get minutes as I think that kid is starting to show what he is capable of.  Necas will get there as well next year once his offensive game comes together.  The kid is too good of a player to not further develop.  The drum I keep beating the most about this team is starting Rozier.  Start Jimmy Clark at the point and let Rozier sub at 15 or so minutes a game.  Even Dambrot acknowledges how small we are when he starts with Jimmy and Dae Dae.  Teams so easily just shoot over him and I ask, what is Rozier really giving us??????

2/01/2024 12:41 pm  #45

Iron Duke, I'd like to know who you think should be getting the most minutes at PG?

2/01/2024 2:06 pm  #46

PistolPete wrote:

StillatShales I am with you as to what is needed for next year, not that I am looking that far ahead - I want to see if this team can still make some noise.  Styles I am on board with your starting 5, but I think Dambrot likes bringing Dixon off the bench given his propensity to get into foul trouble plus he gives you a spark with his ability/talent.  I also want to see Matus get minutes as I think that kid is starting to show what he is capable of.  Necas will get there as well next year once his offensive game comes together.  The kid is too good of a player to not further develop.  The drum I keep beating the most about this team is starting Rozier.  Start Jimmy Clark at the point and let Rozier sub at 15 or so minutes a game.  Even Dambrot acknowledges how small we are when he starts with Jimmy and Dae Dae.  Teams so easily just shoot over him and I ask, what is Rozier really giving us??????

I like Matus and listed him as deserving minutes in the rotation. He, along with Rozier, should be backing up Jake, Jimmy, and Dae Dae regularly.  Necas likely has the goods and there will be plenty of PT available for him next season - he just needs to keep working. 

I really believe KD is too enamored with all the intangibles he sees in Kareem to recognize he needs to play less to be the player this team needs him to be. He has invested a lot of time and lip service expounding on what a player/person Kareem is that he may be reticent to curb his PT as it could reflect poorly on Kareem. To that, I would say: If Kareem is the player/leader/person KD purports him to be - and I fully believe he is - Kareem would handle the demotion with aplomb and really increase his value to the team  in the reduced minutes.

2/01/2024 3:40 pm  #47

Styles, I couldn't have said it any better, right on point my man!!!  Off the bench with limited minutes should be Kareem's role and that is where he can best help the team.

2/01/2024 3:58 pm  #48

I was very supportive of Kareem being our point guard as there have been many small point guards being successful at the D one level. Not that Kareem has been a failure, but our better options are with Jimmy and Dae Dae alternating at the point and the Dukes playing bigger. I noticed in last nights game, when Kareem was in there, Jimmy still brought the ball up court thus making Kareem the shooting guard which is just ridiculous at his size.

2/01/2024 4:46 pm  #49

Being at the game last night and all game this season I have been open-minded to the different players playing but we are now at the point in the season where I believe we now who should be playing and who shouldn't.

The best lineup last night.  And it was on the court at the end and I believe the one stretch where Duquesne went up 29-21 or 28-21
     Trae Clark
     Dae Dae
     DiMichiele
     F. Drame
     Dixon

Duquesne's offense I believe runs more smooth without Kareem Rozier.  He just doesn't have the height to play 25-30 minutes a game.  I am fine with him coming off the bench and giving 10-12/per game and that is it.  Trae and Dae Dae were fine running the point and just gives Duquesne a different look with a bigger point guard.  I am open to Kareem is he actually shot well or drove to the hoop but he doesn't.

I am fine with Dixon not starting if it allows him to calm down and not foul right away.  He should then be first off the bench.  Start either Dusan or Tre Williams.

I thought Savrasov gave quality minutes and I could see him continuing that.  My main take is Kareem (and I love his passion and energy, not knocking the kid) just does not have the physical attributes to play as many minutes as he was.  DiMichele being 6'4 with Grant and Clark is a better fit for A-10 play.

2/01/2024 5:05 pm  #50

This is a fair discussion I think because of the emergence of Dimichele. However, Rozier has shown he is a knock down shooter. This is the second year in a row he is shooting above a 40% clip from three. This is good for second on the team (of players with significant playing time) behind only F. Drame by half a percent but with much more volume.  Rozier spaces the floor and facilitates the offense very well. He is also is one of our best on-ball defenders (in my opinion). His ability to evade/get through ball screens is exceptional. I do agree that he is not a 30 min/game guy, but let’s not overlook what he brings in addition to his intangibles. I do wish he were more of a scoring threat at times, but he certainly has a place in this team and at the A10 level for that matter.

All that said, I do really like Clark, Grant, and Dimichele out there together in crunch time.

Board footera