Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2024 7:59 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of Rhode Island Rams

Hats off to the Dukes today, best offensive game that I've seen in a while. The D was as usual really good.  Kareem played very well today and I commend his effort.  He actually I believe made the play of the day when he made the 3 after RI cut it to eight in the second half.  I also like this 10 man rotation, 4 bigs, 4 guards and F.Drame and Matus at the 4 - along with one of the bigs at times.  Dixon does drive you crazy sometimes, but boy he is fun to watch and his ceiling is very high - how about his blocks?  I thought Chabbi acquitted himself quite well today and I was happy to see it.  Let's not forget this is the first year he is really getting some pt.  Anyway, very nice win and kudos to the team and coaching staff.

2/03/2024 8:24 pm  #27

let's keep stacking wins.

2/03/2024 9:55 pm  #28

Great to see the team playing like this.  Keep building that momentum and piling up wins!  Really enjoyed this game and the players seem to genuinely be pulling for one another and unified.

2/03/2024 11:19 pm  #29

Last season Dae Dae shot 102 FTs in 1,073 minutes over 33 games at a great percentage of .875. He made just under 2.7 FTs per game out of 3.09 attempts.

This season Dae Dae has also shot 102 FTs but in just 583 minutes over 18 games at the ungodly percentage of .9509. He is making just under 5.4 FTs per game out of 5.66 attempts.

Below is a list of the national leaders for FT percentage before today's results are added in.
-Lonnell Martin missed 5 FT's today.taking him down to .92.
-DJ Davis didn't play today so his percentage stayed the same.
-Tamar Bates went 2-2 today. He is now at .952
-None of these guys are shooting more than 3.5 FTs per game or scoring morethan 14 points per game.RANKNAMETEAMCLHEIGHTPOSITIONGFTFTAFT%1Lonnell MartinArk.-Pine BluffSr.6-4G20687097.142DJ DavisButlerSr.6-1G22707395.893Tamar BatesMissouriJr.6-5G21586195.084Dae Dae GrantDuquesneSr.6-2G17929794.85

2/04/2024 4:35 am  #30

This season Dae Dae has shot 103 FTs but in just 586 minutes over 18 games at the ungodly percentage of .9514. He is making just over 5.4 FTs per game out of 5.72 attempts.

2/04/2024 11:07 am  #31

Best performance of the season for me on both ends of the court. Think today’s performance is the kind of basketball a lot of us expected to see from this team this year. Ditto for the coaches who picked them 4th and the media covering mid majors who gave them a lot of love going into the season.

The first part of the A10 stretch was tough, but after UMASS which was admittedly bad, they lost the next 4 games by an average margin of 3.5 points to Dayton who is now nationally ranked, Richmond who is undefeated in the conference, Loyola who has been a big surprise and currently sit 3rd at 6-2, and St joes who are currently 5th and were another favorite this year in the A10.

That was a 4 loss stretch to #1, #2, #3, and #5 and the average margin was 3.5. On top of that UMASS are currently #6. That now looks like the toughest stretch of the schedule and feels like we have some momentum having ripped off 4 wins in a row.

Gotta beat Davidson and beating SBU at their place would be a big statement. If they do that and split Dayton and St. Joes, they should be favored in most other games besides maybe VCU/maybe GMU for the rest of the season.

This next 4 game stretch is crucial. Win 3 and I believe we have a real chance of making a run at a top 5 finish which is big for the tourney. Get in with a decent seed and I feel like we have a real chance of beating anyone, except maybe Dayton. Hopefully Mahorcic can continue to gain strength and health and be ready to match up with Holmes in the tourney if we can actually get to that point.

This still feels like our best team and chance in a long time. If we beat one of Princeton/Nebraska/Santa Clara (all games it felt like we could have won), and one or two of those first conference games, this season would look very different. We should be favored in all but 2-3 of the last 10 games. Everything to play for.

Go Dukes.

2/04/2024 12:35 pm  #32

I agree Phil, looks like Dae Dae should win that award.

2/04/2024 1:25 pm  #33

Finally got to to watch this game . The Dukes seemed to be well prepared and I feel they played their best fundamental basketball of this season.. Just plain fun to watch. Congrats to coaches and players on a needed road win.  Does this team have s strong finish in store?  Let's Go Dukes!

2/04/2024 9:35 pm  #34

Duques102 wrote:

Best performance of the season for me on both ends of the court. Think today’s performance is the kind of basketball a lot of us expected to see from this team this year. Ditto for the coaches who picked them 4th and the media covering mid majors who gave them a lot of love going into the season.

The first part of the A10 stretch was tough, but after UMASS which was admittedly bad, they lost the next 4 games by an average margin of 3.5 points to Dayton who is now nationally ranked, Richmond who is undefeated in the conference, Loyola who has been a big surprise and currently sit 3rd at 6-2, and St joes who are currently 5th and were another favorite this year in the A10.

That was a 4 loss stretch to #1, #2, #3, and #5 and the average margin was 3.5. On top of that UMASS are currently #6. That now looks like the toughest stretch of the schedule and feels like we have some momentum having ripped off 4 wins in a row.

Gotta beat Davidson and beating SBU at their place would be a big statement. If they do that and split Dayton and St. Joes, they should be favored in most other games besides maybe VCU/maybe GMU for the rest of the season.

This next 4 game stretch is crucial. Win 3 and I believe we have a real chance of making a run at a top 5 finish which is big for the tourney. Get in with a decent seed and I feel like we have a real chance of beating anyone, except maybe Dayton. Hopefully Mahorcic can continue to gain strength and health and be ready to match up with Holmes in the tourney if we can actually get to that point.

This still feels like our best team and chance in a long time. If we beat one of Princeton/Nebraska/Santa Clara (all games it felt like we could have won), and one or two of those first conference games, this season would look very different. We should be favored in all but 2-3 of the last 10 games. Everything to play for.

Go Dukes.

I like your post. Most on about everything. Except, against Dayton. Both Drame's should completely take on Holmes and take him out of the game. Offensively and defensively. He is too fast for most bigs to keep up with his moves to the perimeter for 3's.  Just make the game 4 on 4 without Holmes. Last game his wide open 3's was the only difference that kept us from winning. Great coaches take out their opponents top player. Some games teams try to take Dae Dae out like that. Both Drame's keep subbing in and stay on him. I would.

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/05/2024 10:37 am)

2/05/2024 1:05 pm  #35

NapaDuke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Go Dukes.

I like your post. Most on about everything. Except, against Dayton. Both Drame's should completely take on Holmes and take him out of the game. Offensively and defensively. He is too fast for most bigs to keep up with his moves to the perimeter for 3's.  Just make the game 4 on 4 without Holmes. Last game his wide open 3's was the only difference that kept us from winning. Great coaches take out their opponents top player. Some games teams try to take Dae Dae out like that. Both Drame's keep subbing in and stay on him. I would.

Agree the key to beating them would be to take Holmes out of the game and not allow him to get in any type of rhythm offensively. Also agree that should involve multiple guys.

In a matchup with them I would love to see us rotate every big to play him hard and physical, with the intention of having each guy giving him 2-3 good hard fouls. Use that depth. You get that from Dixon, Barre, both Drames, Williams, and Mahorcic and I think you can disrupt him and their offensive rhythm. Don’t let him get to the basket.

I just hope Mahorcic can continue to improve physically and if he does he could be a big contributor down the stretch, rather than a guy who can give you a few solid minute stretches.

2/05/2024 1:35 pm  #36

Do folks feel like Mahorcic has more wind, less rust, & better movement than he did when he started playing 11 games ago? I can't decide. Sometimes I see it & sometimes I don't.

There are 11 guaranteed games left. Do you feel like he will be able to provide more production as the season progresses?

Getting a dozen quality minutes from him every game would be so huge.

2/05/2024 3:27 pm  #37

phil95 wrote:

Do folks feel like Mahorcic has more wind, less rust, & better movement than he did when he started playing 11 games ago? I can't decide. Sometimes I see it & sometimes I don't.

There are 11 guaranteed games left. Do you feel like he will be able to provide more production as the season progresses?

Getting a dozen quality minutes from him every game would be so huge.

Absolutely see an increase in his endurance and his mobility. Far more effective than his first game back.

Board footera