Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2024 10:42 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Davidson University Wildcats

Sometimes it looks like Duquesne just rolls the ball out,we need to get a coach in here that is a stickler for fundamentally sound basketball.Dukes cant bring in top flight talent to beat teams like Dayton and some of the better teams in A10.Davidson made us look sillly with back door cuts and a patterned offense.Game was decided by halftime.
   Totally embarrassing.

2/07/2024 10:50 pm  #27

Got back from the game and it seems we can hold teams to 60 points defensively, but seemingly have little to no offensive plans. At least not one that would win in the A-10.  You would think by now these coaches would copy the Princeton offense or even Davidson or just about any successful offensive teams.

2/08/2024 12:31 am  #28

I have to agree with Stew, very disappointing.  Disciplined team totally schooled us.  No offensive flow, flawed defensively with the back door cuts, what more can you say.  Embarrassing that we are now 1-11 versus Davidson - just inexcusable.  And whoever said we still don't have a set rotation is correct and that is unacceptable at this point of the year.  Oh well.

2/08/2024 6:57 am  #29

I think everyone can agree our rotations were getting more consistent over the last 5 games. However, rotations with Dambrot are performance dependent, as they should be in my opinion. He was clearly searching for the group that would perform as his two star guards did not show up. And credit to him, he seemed to have found it. His mix of Dimichele, Rozier, Drame, Savrasov, and Necas cut it to 4. He also went to a 3-2 zone that seemed to switch back into man after a certain number of passes during this period taking it from 46-31 to 46-42.

2/08/2024 9:14 am  #30

CityDuke wrote:

I think everyone can agree our rotations were getting more consistent over the last 5 games. However, rotations with Dambrot are performance dependent, as they should be in my opinion. He was clearly searching for the group that would perform as his two star guards did not show up. And credit to him, he seemed to have found it. His mix of Dimichele, Rozier, Drame, Savrasov, and Necas cut it to 4. He also went to a 3-2 zone that seemed to switch back into man after a certain number of passes during this period taking it from 46-31 to 46-42.

I think it is good that Coach D is still discovering things that work about this team. A 3 big lineup like that has its place in the game. My problem is how obviously underprepared Duquesne was compared to Davidson like Levon mentioned. Every time Duquesne set up a half court offense and started running a play the Davidson bench would yell out a word and the defense would adjust. It looked like they studied film to the point of being able to identify half-court plays regularly whereas it seemed like Duquesne went in thinking it would be fine to play against Davidson like they do everybody else. Another thing is Clark falling on the offensive end later in the second half, throwing his hands up to the Duquesne bench, (I think because he thought he got fouled) getting up, running back at 3/4 speed to just be late enough contesting a three that they buried. I like Jimmy but stuff like that is unacceptable. I agree with Dambrot that I wish everybody on this team played with the same urgency and intensity as Dimichele.

2/08/2024 9:16 am  #31

2/08/2024 10:07 am  #32

CityDuke wrote:

I was wondering why he didn't stay with the zone - that was working pretty good.  He went back to man and they made back-to-back dribble drives and pulled away again.  

I honestly thought he should have stuck with he zone and stuck with that lineup until it failed.  Dae Dae and Clark were cold - I would have stuck with that hot lineup.

Made no sense to me he changed everything when they cut it to 4.

2/08/2024 12:06 pm  #33

KD's willingness to deploy a zone defense & have it produce results is commendable. I also understand his extreme lineup tampering last night given the poor all around performances of his 2 best players. Coach certainly went for it in last night's game.

None of this changes the facts that the team was unprepared for last night's opponent & has chronic offensive system/execution issues. This is, as much as any other reason, why the Dambrot Era must end in a few short weeks.

Jake is such a satisfying player to root for. I really hope he stays.

I think the Mahorcic experiment is over. F. Drame has been playing effectively & with great energy/urgency/purpose. Just start him next to Tre, give Dixon the bulk of the minutes, & let Chabi spell those guys for 8 minutes a game.

Playing Hronsky for 2 minutes is pointless. Play him or don't play him.

I find KD's latest use & treatment of Rozier to be bizarre. He played a little too much against URI & way too much last night while being steadily berated by the coach. Weird.

Last edited by phil95 (2/08/2024 12:08 pm)

2/08/2024 12:30 pm  #34

Really disappointing loss for sure the other night. Thought we should and would win this one. Of course, when your 2 leading scorers don't score, all bets are off. I too liked the zone and have believed for some time that it should be deployed more. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what transpires for the rest of the season and after the entire season has run its course. As I've said here before, I'm not a fan of a particular coach though I've had my favorites, but a fan of Duquesne Dukes basketball. Let's do what has to be done to get this program where we all want to see it. GO DUKES!!

2/08/2024 1:12 pm  #35

Last night was extremely disappointing.  To say that this team has underachieved to this point is an understatement. DU was picked to finish in the top 4-6 teams by just about every poll. This year was going to be special with a team loaded with talent, depth and 5th year experience. The Dukes possibly could still finish strong and make it back to the top 6 of the League, however, based on last night's performance it feels more like the famous Dambrot February swoon we have seen for the last 7 years. You know, the crushing "folding tent" finish we have experienced, followed by March sadness.  

So. what are we doing, and where are we going?  Can this still get turned around? Listening to Dambrot's post game interview it felt like Groundhog Day to me saying the same things.  Dambrot talked about the lack of discipline, lack of intensity, lack of urgency, as if he had no responsibility for the situation. Seriously? This is an indictment on him and his staff, Dambrot needs to get control of this team as the first step in turning this around. I am sorry, but no more excuses.  Every bonehead play, every missed assignment, every ill-advised shot, every time they fail to get back on defense is on Dambrot and his staff. It is called coaching.  Just like any manager in business, most of whom makes a lot less than $1MM per year, knows that if his team fails it is on him. No excuses.

This may sound harsh on my part, but I am just trying to be honest.  I feel bad for KD on a personal level for all he and his family are going through. Nobody would blame him if he stepped aside for a while.  However, this team is screaming for discipline, leadership and better coaching.  I don't think it is too late to turn it around.

2/08/2024 1:49 pm  #36

Their star guards were stars. Our star guards laid an egg. It’s not anything deeper than that. We were coming off our best all around performance of the year. Last game we were all so high on this team. A game in which Grant broke 2000 points and Clark’s highlight with his family member’s commentary went viral on social media. I think this game was a possible hangover reaction from the high of that game for those two, and it affected everyone else. I think we’ll see a much better Dukes performance this weekend.

2/08/2024 2:04 pm  #37

CityDuke wrote:

Their star guards were stars. Our star guards laid an egg. It’s not anything deeper than that. We were coming off our best all around performance of the year. Last game we were all so high on this team. A game in which Grant broke 2000 points and Clark’s highlight with his family member’s commentary went viral on social media. I think this game was a possible hangover reaction from the high of that game for those two, and it affected everyone else. I think we’ll see a much better Dukes performance this weekend.

I think you're right about a hangover effect. I think they scored 85 points and didn't think they had to mud wrestle. If our stars play better we hopefully win the game but I think it is deeper than you say. We got outprepared, outhustled, and outsmarted by a team with not nearly as much talent. Their main big was also out and it did not seem to matter. Our intensity has to be better. I'm with CLK and I also think this team has what it takes to make a run in Brooklyn. Everybody has to flip the switch and commit. Our bigs have to be better. I miss Weathers and Hughes more than the world. This team seemed to have so much swagger and momentum coming into last night... I have no idea where it all went by gametime. The next two games will teach us all a ton. 

2/08/2024 2:20 pm  #38

BluffHunter wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

I think you're right about a hangover effect. I think they scored 85 points and didn't think they had to mud wrestle. If our stars play better we hopefully win the game but I think it is deeper than you say. We got outprepared, outhustled, and outsmarted by a team with not nearly as much talent. Their main big was also out and it did not seem to matter. Our intensity has to be better. I'm with CLK and I also think this team has what it takes to make a run in Brooklyn. Everybody has to flip the switch and commit. Our bigs have to be better. I miss Weathers and Hughes more than the world. This team seemed to have so much swagger and momentum coming into last night... I have no idea where it all went by gametime. The next two games will teach us all a ton. 

And just to clarify, I don't think this team is as talented as they think they are. That's why they have needed to "Mud wrestle". Set the egos aside and get gritty. Nonetheless they are talented, and moreso naturally than Davidson's roster.

Last edited by BluffHunter (2/08/2024 2:20 pm)

2/08/2024 2:59 pm  #39

phil95 wrote:

KD's willingness to deploy a zone defense & have it produce results is commendable. I also understand his extreme lineup tampering last night given the poor all around performances of his 2 best players. Coach certainly went for it in last night's game.

None of this changes the facts that the team was unprepared for last night's opponent & has chronic offensive system/execution issues. This is, as much as any other reason, why the Dambrot Era must end in a few short weeks.

Jake is such a satisfying player to root for. I really hope he stays.

I think the Mahorcic experiment is over. F. Drame has been playing effectively & with great energy/urgency/purpose. Just start him next to Tre, give Dixon the bulk of the minutes, & let Chabi spell those guys for 8 minutes a game.

Playing Hronsky for 2 minutes is pointless. Play him or don't play him.

I find KD's latest use & treatment of Rozier to be bizarre. He played a little too much against URI & way too much last night while being steadily berated by the coach. Weird.

Jake is a great pickup. He and Drame are the only consistant players last night. Rozier was too short to stop very tall guards from shooting right over him and he was in there too much. Davidson fouled anyone driving to the hoop all night, and the Dukes should have drove the lane constantly, just for the fouls. I can see how other teams have beat them, likely getting them in foul trouble early and often. The zone again was effective, but not used enough. And if you want Dae Dae to get a clear shot, then set an intelligent screen that works to get some shots off. KD's Dukes looked slow, winded, less in shape than Davidson? What kind of conditioning training do these kids do or don't? Davidson by comparison were running everywhere and at times, it felt like they must have 6 players out there because they ran everywhere, and the Dukes slow walked every-time they could?  We looked like the visitors, exhausted from traveling,  and Davidson looked like the home team well rested?

2/08/2024 6:08 pm  #40

I just read the Tribs BS of what KD said about  his teams readiness and blamed it on the players???  Get rid of this third baseman, please. It's all his fault. Not the players?  9 out of 10 mid-major coaches would have won this game. Davidson had a ton of reasons not to win, but in typical KD fashion, we lost because of the players?  Do not bring this man back another season.  In seven years, we have never had a sell-out, except the Dayton fans coming once to see an ass-kicking.  Last night is typical of the low crowd attendances, of why would anyone come to see our team score barely 50 some points?  It doesn't have to be the high scoring teams that RE brought here, but any offense at all would be nice.

2/08/2024 6:48 pm  #41

NapaDuke wrote:

I just read the Tribs BS of what KD said about  his teams readiness and blamed it on the players???  Get rid of this third baseman, please. It's all his fault. Not the players?  9 out of 10 mid-major coaches would have won this game. Davidson had a ton of reasons not to win, but in typical KD fashion, we lost because of the players?  Do not bring this man back another season.  In seven years, we have never had a sell-out, except the Dayton fans coming once to see an ass-kicking.  Last night is typical of the low crowd attendances, of why would anyone come to see our team score barely 50 some points?  It doesn't have to be the high scoring teams that RE brought here, but any offense at all would be nice.

Tim McCormick pretty much said the same more than a few times in the Rhode Island game. "Duquesne is the most underachieving team in the league" without of course calling Dambrot out, but we all know at this point that is the problem given the vast amount of talent and experience on this team. Calling out certain players after the fact and not taking any blame is just lame. You are the coach and why weren't they prepared? Inexcusable. His substitutions at certain times of the of games is mind boggling. Go with whats working. Try something new. Why a player likenHassan Drame has sit on the bench for 6 or 7 straight games is inexcusable. This guy played a "huge" role in getting St. Peters of all schools to a final eight. That's just dumbfounding. Dambrot just doesn't get the ebb and flow of a game.
Need some real reporters in that post game press room to take him to task once in a awhile.This team is by far and it's not even close the most underachieving, under coached team in their history given their talent and experience. The St. Louis game will be for 15th place because there is no way they are winning any of the next three. They'll get blasted. They are lost and it's all on this coach. Pretty damn sad because its just a waste of good talent..

2/08/2024 7:06 pm  #42

Rayrich wrote:

Why a player likenHassan Drame has sit on the bench for 6 or 7 straight games is inexcusable. This guy played a "huge" role in getting St. Peters of all schools to a final eight.

I never thought about it like this when I should have. You have a great point. I think a rotation of 10+ is a bad idea but the spark that fousseyni gave last night was the only thing that kept us in the game. I always thought having both of them on the court at the same time was a liability because of the similar mistakes they make but man, the 3 “big” lineup works well.

2/08/2024 8:09 pm  #43

The Groundhog Day comparison is an apt one as well as being seasonally appropriate!

The most honorable thing KD could do is step down now, take care of his wife, & give Dru Joyce a nice, long, real-time audition for the head coach's position.

CLK wrote:

Last night was extremely disappointing.  To say that this team has underachieved to this point is an understatement. DU was picked to finish in the top 4-6 teams by just about every poll. This year was going to be special with a team loaded with talent, depth and 5th year experience. The Dukes possibly could still finish strong and make it back to the top 6 of the League, however, based on last night's performance it feels more like the famous Dambrot February swoon we have seen for the last 7 years. You know, the crushing "folding tent" finish we have experienced, followed by March sadness.  

So. what are we doing, and where are we going?  Can this still get turned around? Listening to Dambrot's post game interview it felt like Groundhog Day to me saying the same things.  Dambrot talked about the lack of discipline, lack of intensity, lack of urgency, as if he had no responsibility for the situation. Seriously? This is an indictment on him and his staff, Dambrot needs to get control of this team as the first step in turning this around. I am sorry, but no more excuses.  Every bonehead play, every missed assignment, every ill-advised shot, every time they fail to get back on defense is on Dambrot and his staff. It is called coaching.  Just like any manager in business, most of whom makes a lot less than $1MM per year, knows that if his team fails it is on him. No excuses.

This may sound harsh on my part, but I am just trying to be honest.  I feel bad for KD on a personal level for all he and his family are going through. Nobody would blame him if he stepped aside for a while.  However, this team is screaming for discipline, leadership and better coaching.  I don't think it is too late to turn it around.

2/09/2024 5:13 am  #44

Am I missing something? We’re coming off a five game win streak…

2/09/2024 8:16 am  #45

He didn’t have a lot of choices at guard with Dae Dae picking up fouls and Jimmy having a tough night trying to get to the hoop against two or three defenders and losing the ball.  Jake was the only guard that seemed to understand the Davidson defense.

2/09/2024 9:02 am  #46

CLK, you hit on all of the correct points. Nothing but excuses and they all fall back on the head coach. To say that this loss is only on Grant & Clark is to totally miss every other aspect of the game. The minute Rozier entered the game he immediately turned the ball over three straight possessions, DiMichele, as hard as he plays, was beaten like a drum continuously by back door cuts which are the staple of this teams offense. 

Dambroat in his press conference claims that Davidson gives you open three’s and that may be but the officials in this game gave every indication that any reasonable effort to drive to the hoop would result in a foul. Davidson had 6 team fouls in the second half with around 10 minutes left and I don’t believe we got to 7 until 4 to 5 minutes later. 

To start two players and have them play 4 to 5 minutes or less and then never see the court again is absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea what message that sends to your team. The rotation of players is just as ridiculous. Savrasov can’t get off the bench and then you expect him to come in play well. Necas who was an outstanding international player against top competition has been turned into a defensive robot who offensively is afraid to make a mistake. With his size and strength he shouldn’t be limited to throwing up an occasional 3. 

Finally, this coach has been given EVERYTHING he has asked for and then some. The return on that investment has been poor to say the least. Please don’t forget that last year we entered the A-10 on a high note only to watch him get schooled by Fran Dunphy. Instead of calling it a day the AD rewarded him with a trip to a who cares tournament only to be embarrassed again by a lesser opponent.  Enough is enough it’s time to move on. 

2/09/2024 9:46 am  #47

At Bonnie’s & Dayton this week. Pending a complete turnaround this will once again ensure the annual February Dambrot swoon. Come March one and done. Good news for Duquesne no need for a payout due to a firing. Hasn’t Gormley, the University & AD done enough to support Coach Dambrot? Can’t disagree with CLK who has been the most positive on the board. Sorry but does this team has enough talent not to end up at the bottom of the A10. Unfortunately, hiring a new coach requires a rebuild. Although NIL can serve as a factor unless Duquesne hires a guy like Huggins( please I am not saying hire him) we can expect a 2-3 wait until the Dukes are competitive. Although Groundhog Day should be a national holiday I am tired of the annual repeat  of failures in February by Dambrot.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (2/09/2024 9:47 am)

2/09/2024 10:55 am  #48

Bring in a assistant coach from Richmond or Davidson who know how to win in the A10,who teaches fundamentals and does more with less.Dukes not going to recruit anyone against Power5 schools.It dont have to be a sexy hire to get things done at Duquesne.

2/09/2024 11:18 am  #49

-Rozier should have played very little after his turnovers
-Embarassing no crowd… which is what happens when you lose at home during a sellout
-I look for them to lose their next two without a problem (Hope I’m wrong but I doubt it.).

2/09/2024 11:24 am  #50

Dome, you bring up a great point about Necas, which is really a bigger question on player development under this staff. When I watch videos of Necas as a pro in Europ it highlights his ability to handle the ball and drive to the hoop.  I seems like his offensive game has been limited to shooting threes.  I don't get it.  

Board footera