Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2024 2:51 pm  #1

Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (A)

7:00pm EST tip on Tuesday 2/13/2024 at the Dayton Arena, Dayton, OH

Betting line: Dukes are 10 point underdogs; Over/Under 136
Duquesne 9-13 Against the Spread: Dayton 12-10-1 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 104; Dayton 18

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #108 (14-9; 4-6 A10) vs Dayton #22 (19-4; 9-2 A10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 11, 73-62 - Dukes with 15% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=4433
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #120 vs Dayton #22
Game prediction:  Dukes lose by 13, 73.17-60.21
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=4359&neut=0
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #108 vs Dayton #25
Game prediction:  Dukes lose by 11, 72-61 - Dukes with a 13% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/2/12/mens-basketball-dukes-flyers-square-off-tuesday.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/2/12/24_Dayton.pdf Dayton Game Notes: https://daytonflyers.com/news/2024/2/11/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-back-home-tuesday-vs-duquesne.aspx
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html Dayton: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/dayton/men/2024.html
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Bradley (67); UC Irvine (75); St. Bonaventure-2 (86); College of Charleston (128); Rhode Island (178) 
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Davidson (120); Santa Clara (116); Saint Joseph's (106); Loyola Chicago (105); UMass (97); Richmond (80); Princeton (66)

Dayton KenPom Best Wins: Cincinnati (32); St. John's (43); SMU (46); St. Bonaventure (86); LSU (87); UMass 97 
Dayton KenPom Worst Losses: VCU (81); Richmond (80); Northwestern (50); Houston (1)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 32.6%, 238 in D-1; Defense 33.2%, 146 in D-1
Dayton 3 Point:  Offense 39.5%, 7 in D-1; Defense 31.0%, 43 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.5%, 213 in D-1; Defense 47.4%, 67 in D-1
Dayton 2 Point:  Offense 53.3%, 71 in D-1; Defense 46.4%, 48 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 69.0%, 278 in D-1; Defense 70.1%, 100 in D-1
Dayton FT:  Offense 73.2%, 112 in D-1; Defense 70.1%, 102 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Dayton Adj Offense Efficiency - 117.3; 24 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.6; 74 in D-1
Dayton Adj Defense Efficiency - 98.5; 45 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.8; 162 in D-1
Dayton Adj Tempo - 63.6; 347 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.3; 204 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Dayton 2.39 yrs; 79 in D-1; Dukes 2.56 yrs; 47 in D-1
Average Height - Dayton 76.8"; 234 in D-1; Dukes 76.4"; 301 in D-1

2/12/2024 2:53 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (A)

Will be interesting to see how the Dukes defend Holmes this time around.   

2/12/2024 4:39 pm  #3

townsonkid wrote:

I don't know, but those 3 uncontested 3s he hit were the backbreakers last game. Can't let that happen again.

2/12/2024 5:07 pm  #4

Gotta think that after Friday night's loss, Dayton is in a bad mood & feeling the heat to produce a home-court blowout. Let's hope they are tight, feeling the pressure, & can't get out of their heads. Busting up their defensive pressure would go a long way toward eroding their confidence.

I think that their NET, KenPom, etc...ratings are exaggerated by 12-20 spots. I feel like the Duquesne team that showed up Saturday has more like a 35% chance of victory. 

2/12/2024 6:46 pm  #5

I would like to see  Drame start tomorrow instead of Jake. Tre Williams should get the first crack at Holmes. I like Drame/Tre in the double teams as well as pick-and-roll switches involving Holmes & Brea. Necas was pretty solid on Holmes in the first game in limited minutes so he can help with this endeavor.

I don't think teams foul Homes enough when he is close to the basket. The Dukes' roster is packed with players that are big enough to bother him & foul them like they mean it. He is only a 69% FT shooter. Trying some extra physicality on him instead of walling up against sure-thing layups & dunks seems worth a shot. I also want to see some sporadic 3/2 zone defense.

Rozier has to be aggressive about drawing charges & shooting open 3s.

Dae Dae has to take it to the hole so he can dish, finish, or shoot FTs.

2/12/2024 7:39 pm  #6

MikeR wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I don't know, but those 3 uncontested 3s he hit were the backbreakers last game. Can't let that happen again.

Holmes is ranked by KenPom metrics as the #2 player of the year, behind Zach Edney. https://kenpom.com/kpoy.php

He’s shooting 39% from 3. Not a fluke the first time against the Dukes.

2/12/2024 9:28 pm  #7

Dayton is overrated.Pressure Holmes and when you foul him clobber him.The rest of team is good but not  great. Lets go Bluffites. 

2/12/2024 9:58 pm  #8

Looks like the line opened at Dayton -8.5

Last edited by BluffHunter (2/12/2024 9:58 pm)

2/13/2024 8:52 am  #9

The answer is Necas, one of the best defenders on the team, taller than you think and can match up with Holmes.   I think the rest of their team is good enough to beat us, even if Holmes doesnt score a lot.
Nothing to lose tonight.   Play free and easy.

2/13/2024 9:24 am  #10

This game is a gigantic opportunity for KD to polish his reputation as an A-10 coach by doing several things he has failed to do.
-Beat a ranked team
-Build late season momentum
-Get a signature conference road win

2/13/2024 9:36 am  #11

phil95 wrote:

This game is a gigantic opportunity for KD to polish his reputation as an A-10 coach by doing several things he has failed to do.
-Beat a ranked team
-Build late season momentum
-Get a signature conference road win

Hoping for the win.
Will take just about everything going our way including getting some road foul calls go in our favor.
Holmes has to be neutralized as much as possible. A wrecking machine!!!!
Let's make a game of it!
GO DUKES!!

2/13/2024 10:06 am  #12

Last time they didn’t double Holmes. I’d try it this time. Dayton is very good but I don’t think they are as good as that particular ranking.

2/13/2024 1:57 pm  #13

Need the Dukes to play with the same confidence, ball movement, and stinginess defensively that they showed against the Bonnies. Also, need the A10 to allow the game to be played with integrity and not in favor of promoting a high ranking at-large bid.

In the last 3 Dayton games….Dayton’s opponents have shot 24 free throws, 8 each per game. In the same span, Da’Ron Holmes alone has shot 38 free throws. Something to watch for sure. And I hope Dambrot is on top of this as well.

2/13/2024 2:22 pm  #14

In case anyone needs a laugh before the game. Every time we play Dayton I can't get this out of my head: https://www.reddit.com/r/NormMacdonald/comments/nszye8/norm_visits_a_fortune_teller/

2/13/2024 3:36 pm  #15

Jackdoc13 wrote:

In case anyone needs a laugh before the game. Every time we play Dayton I can't get this out of my head: https://www.reddit.com/r/NormMacdonald/comments/nszye8/norm_visits_a_fortune_teller/

Well done my friend👍I loved Norm Macdonald. “Dirty Works” classic. Can’t believe he passed away.

2/13/2024 5:35 pm  #16

phil95 wrote:

I would like to see  Drame start tomorrow instead of Jake. Tre Williams should get the first crack at Holmes. I like Drame/Tre in the double teams as well as pick-and-roll switches involving Holmes & Brea. Necas was pretty solid on Holmes in the first game in limited minutes so he can help with this endeavor.

I don't think teams foul Homes enough when he is close to the basket. The Dukes' roster is packed with players that are big enough to bother him & foul them like they mean it. He is only a 69% FT shooter. Trying some extra physicality on him instead of walling up against sure-thing layups & dunks seems worth a shot. I also want to see some sporadic 3/2 zone defense.

Rozier has to be aggressive about drawing charges & shooting open 3s.

Dae Dae has to take it to the hole so he can dish, finish, or shoot FTs.

I agree with all of that. Especially Dae Dae getting to the line. He needs to be driving more.

2/13/2024 5:59 pm  #17

FAM wrote:

Last time they didn’t double Holmes. I’d try it this time. Dayton is very good but I don’t think they are as good as that particular ranking.

That's partly how they lost last game. Double anytime in the paint.

2/13/2024 6:03 pm  #18

Play loose, no one expects us to win there. Shoot all open 3's. Take chances for steals. Be aggressive and take all transitions to the hoop. Just then, maybe we pull it out.

2/13/2024 6:04 pm  #19

FAM wrote:

I don't necessarily think "doubling" will work long-term, but what was lacking in the first game was having defenders, especially the guards "digging" at him as soon as he puts it on the floor, and turns his back as he often does. Dig from the blind side so he can't see the open man, whenever possible.  If you jump his dribble fast enough, he won't be able to pick up the dribble and kick it to the open man.  This is a must, tonight.  Letting him dribble around as he pleased was perhaps the most painful thing to watch all season.  As far as the 3's go, he just has to be made to move from his spot-up position and he will miss.  

2/13/2024 6:27 pm  #20

Although the puns for him coming off the bench practically write themselves, I like the idea of Fuse starting. He leads the team in + / - by a fairly wide margin. Dixon is third, so typically I'd say he should be starting too, but I do think coming off the bench has helped him to be aggressive while staying out of foul trouble. I'm torn on what to do with Williams. I think he is better starting, but he's dead last in + / - and the only one who is even close is Matus. I never feel like he's hurting the team when he's out there, but those numbers might explain his reduction in minutes over the past few weeks even while he's been starting.

I do like the idea of using all our big man fouls this time out. We don't stand much of a chance in a shoot out. Whoever came up with the mud wrestling analogy, it's a good one. I'm not saying make it into a brawl, but the muddier the game is the better for us. They're only 4-4 when scoring less than 70. We're 10-1 when holding teams below 70. Obviously it can't be the only goal, but we need to start there. Keep it below 70 and we have a chance. I do think we keep it close, but don't think we keep them under 70. I'll say Flyers 71 Dukes 63.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/13/2024 7:12 pm)

2/13/2024 6:57 pm  #21

Time to beat these bastards

2/13/2024 7:52 pm  #22

Great start Dukes. That sure looked like it should have been a 4 point play to me. Clark anticipated the reach and started the shooting motion. And it happened to go in haha. That wouldn’t even have been the luckiest shot of the half either. Holmes threw two lefty prayers up and they were answered. One hit the top of the backboard.

2/13/2024 8:34 pm  #23

Holding my breath. Need to be disciplined. No turnovers. Get back fast on our misses.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/13/2024 8:36 pm  #24

Guys are representing,

2/13/2024 8:40 pm  #25

We have 3 foul shots in the game. Dixon, you were wide open....

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera