Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2024 10:02 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (A)

Duquesne scores 26 field goals, Dayton scores 26 field goals    Duquesne loses by 16.  You tell me.

2/13/2024 10:17 pm  #52

Dayton had 10 total team fouls in the game. 3 of them were intentional at the end of the half by that walk-on.

2/13/2024 10:21 pm  #53

I agree that Dayton played better down the stretch, but that free throw discrepancy is hard to ignore, especially when a couple of those calls don't pass the eye test.  We did give one of the country's best teams a real test in a difficult place to play.  Probably outplayed the Flyers for 34 minutes. This one was lost at the charity stripe.  Gotta get over it and beat St Joe's at home.  Hope to see you there.

2/13/2024 10:58 pm  #54

There certainly were some questionable calls down the stretch, but when you go the last six minutes with more turnovers than points you have no room to blame the refs for the L. Bottom line is nobody in their right mind expected a win. Some fans probably thought it crazy to even hope for one.

We can’t get down from this loss. We’ve proven we can compete with a top 20 team for long stretches. We did both times out against them. This team is close even if a 16 point loss doesn’t look like it. We need to find an answer in crunch time though, and I don’t even know where to look at this point. A team loaded with experienced backcourt talent shouldn’t have these late game issues time after time.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/13/2024 11:28 pm)

2/13/2024 11:27 pm  #55

I was at the game in Dayton.I  thought the Dukes played the best basketball of the season for 34 minutes
and then Dayton played really good defense at the end and with a little hometown  refereeing, Dukes fell apart.I was pleased with the defense for most of the game.Too much dribbling ,poor ball movement at end.
   The team is improving in my opinion,Mahorcic is shaking off the rust,Dixon improving every game and Clark shot the ball better.Duquesne played hard and better days are ahead.
 The negativity on this board is not  good.I think some enjoy seeing Dukes fail.

2/13/2024 11:30 pm  #56

Since you were there Stew I’m curious about the technical on Dambrot. I could see it heading down that road, but they didn’t really show anything on the broadcast. Did he earn the T?

2/13/2024 11:36 pm  #57

The a10 desperately wants two teams in the Big Dance  and If Flyers keep winning,good for league.I think 
they are beatable on the road. This is a very tough competitive league.Dukes are going to be ok come
tournament time.

2/13/2024 11:44 pm  #58

I wasnt paying attention to Dambrot as I was on opposite end of floor sitting low. Was shocked 
when Dayton got the free throws and the ball. I looked at him and he was visibly upset.

2/14/2024 8:49 am  #59

I thought Anthony Grant turned the game around when he went to a soft press. The dukes time to shoot was limited since they refused to attack the press. Unfortunately, dry run in regard to 3’s. Coach Grant became the hunter, Dambrot became the hunted. Dusan getting into better shape. T. Williams 16 minutes. Zero POINT zero Mr. Blutarsky. The Dukes at this point in their schedule should go on a nice run.Go Dukes. No excuses.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (2/14/2024 8:51 am)

2/14/2024 9:16 am  #60

Styles1229 wrote:

kidd082000 wrote:

If you take the fouls and the free throw shooting out of it, over the last 6 minutes, here are the stats:

Dayton 12-0 Run
Duquesne 0-8 FG
Duquesne 4 Turnovers
Dayton 5 Offensive Rebounds

The officials could have left the building with 6 minutes to go and Duquesne still would have lost. 

Dayton beat Duquesne. And they did it because they played great down the stretch and we did not. But don’t act like the refs had nothing to do with it?!?! They continuously went the free throw line while the Dukes got no calls. They made the FTs. But if a few of those fouls aren’t called they are empty possessions and the Dukes possibly get momentum and don’t have to face the press on an inbound pass. The call on Rozier just bad and I think Dae Dae getting run over while taking a forearm to chest and getting called for a foul was terrible. They executed and took advantage of a very lopsidedly called game. The Dukes could not overcome. I’m not blaming the refs for the loss but it would have been nice to see how things would have played out if the Dukes got a couple calls and Dayton wasnt getting a whistle on every possession

There is no question that the foul calls were lopsided in favor of Dayton, however, I struggle with the concept that the refs were part of a big conspiracy by the A10 to insure a Dayton win.  Maybe I am naive, but I see the same referees officiating in other leagues.  Are they really under the control of the A10?

{ give the coaching staff credit, they had a great game plan going into the game, and executed well for the first 33 minutes.  With 6 plus minutes to go the Dukes were up 4, and Dambrot had three time outs left. and then the  wheels fell off.  From that point on there were no visible signs of coaching.  Many may disagree, but I am just trying to be honest.  My hope is that the Dukes move on, finish with a winning record in the League, and make a run in the Tournament.  

2/14/2024 9:45 am  #61

CLK wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

kidd082000 wrote:

If you take the fouls and the free throw shooting out of it, over the last 6 minutes, here are the stats:

Dayton 12-0 Run
Duquesne 0-8 FG
Duquesne 4 Turnovers
Dayton 5 Offensive Rebounds

The officials could have left the building with 6 minutes to go and Duquesne still would have lost. 

Dayton beat Duquesne. And they did it because they played great down the stretch and we did not. But don’t act like the refs had nothing to do with it?!?! They continuously went the free throw line while the Dukes got no calls. They made the FTs. But if a few of those fouls aren’t called they are empty possessions and the Dukes possibly get momentum and don’t have to face the press on an inbound pass. The call on Rozier just bad and I think Dae Dae getting run over while taking a forearm to chest and getting called for a foul was terrible. They executed and took advantage of a very lopsidedly called game. The Dukes could not overcome. I’m not blaming the refs for the loss but it would have been nice to see how things would have played out if the Dukes got a couple calls and Dayton wasnt getting a whistle on every possession

There is no question that the foul calls were lopsided in favor of Dayton, however, I struggle with the concept that the refs were part of a big conspiracy by the A10 to insure a Dayton win.  Maybe I am naive, but I see the same referees officiating in other leagues.  Are they really under the control of the A10?

{ give the coaching staff credit, they had a great game plan going into the game, and executed well for the first 33 minutes.  With 6 plus minutes to go the Dukes were up 4, and Dambrot had three time outs left. and then the  wheels fell off.  From that point on there were no visible signs of coaching.  Many may disagree, but I am just trying to be honest.  My hope is that the Dukes move on, finish with a winning record in the League, and make a run in the Tournament.  

Agree 100%. Good game plan. Went toe to toe with them for the vast majority of the game. Very encouraging. However, in the end, the better team won. Dayton is excellent and a solid sweet 16 caliber team IMO.

2/14/2024 10:06 am  #62

A lot of great points in the thread today. Proud of the effort, the game could have easily gone another way. I was extremely mad about the 8 sets or whatever it was free throws given in a row to Dayton as I felt some of those calls were horrible. As time went on and we didn't score the anger dissipated. We have to score in the final 5 minutes. No matter what we cannot give up a 24-0 run. The refs hurt us... and then we shriveled into a ball and collapsed. 

2/14/2024 10:13 am  #63

You expect some homer calls wherever you go but Tre was definitely shooting when he got fouled at halftime... I will probably rewatch the second half tonight whenever I'm ready to get angry again... ugh.

And Kidd... I think calling a team that was up 4 against the #16 team in the country with 6 minutes left "garbage" is "pathetic". Also the reason people come to this website and cheer on this team is because it is the Duquesne fans message board.

2/14/2024 10:20 am  #64

I wanted to also mention Dusan easily had his best game of the season last night. He was moving a lot better and played FIFTEEN minutes!

2/14/2024 10:52 am  #65

CLK- I agree.

Dukes: don’t fall flat Saturday - move ahead from Dayton.

2/14/2024 11:02 am  #66

A10 Standings, 3 more big games tonight for the conference:

9-1 Richmond
10-2 Dayton
9-2 Loyola Chicago
8-3 VCU
6-5 Saint Joseph’s
6-5 UMass
6-6 George Mason
5-6 St. Bonaventure
5-6 Rhode Island
4–6 Fordham
4-7 Davidson
4-7 Duquesne
3-8 George Washington
2-9 Saint Louis
2-10 La Salle

2/14/2024 11:05 am  #67

El Presidente wrote:

CLK wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

Agree 100%. Good game plan. Went toe to toe with them for the vast majority of the game. Very encouraging. However, in the end, the better team won. Dayton is excellent and a solid sweet 16 caliber team IMO.

It doesn’t have to be much of a conspiracy. I personally know referees in both soccer and basketball and these types of things certainly go on. There are referees who will not participate and there are those that will. There are referees that like certain teams and ones that hate certain teams and will openly discuss with other refs how they plan to call games accordingly.  I had one ref tell me he was doing a HS basketball game at Brentwood and the main guy told them right before the tip that every close call was going for the home team.  I don’t know what happened last night and I don’t think there was a secret meeting to ensure the refs gave Dayton the win but the fact remains that there were terrible calls that all went against Duquesne and a preponderance of calls at precisely the stage of the game where Dayton needed to come back.  Dayton’s entire run was based solely on foul calls.  The fouls set up the press and the Dukes could not respond, which is on them.  The juxtaposition of Saturday and Tuesday makes it hard to ignore.  Dukes may have gotten the edge with calls in Olean and while the Bonnies tried to come back you did not see a bunch of bogus or ticky tack fouls to assist them.  The Dukes were able to hold on.

I also think that since the announcers blatantly ignored the foul disparity and actually had the gall to complain about the one foul where the Dayton player slapped our guy it was less apparent to the viewer

Last edited by Styles1229 (2/14/2024 11:07 am)

2/14/2024 11:54 am  #68

5-2 down the stretch, 9-9 in conference.   Get at least 1 bye in the A10T.   Try to avoid Dayton as long as possible, cause even in Brooklyn, the A10 will do whatever they have to do to get them dancing.
So that leaves one door open.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/14/2024 11:55 am)

2/14/2024 12:17 pm  #69

Unless Dayton has a massive collapse, they will be dancing. They could lose 3 games down the stretch, not win the conference tournament, & still get in.

The "best" thing for the league would be to get Richmond to 25 wins, have them beat Dayton in the A-10 tournament semi-final, & lose in the final.to the Dukes.

Last edited by phil95 (2/14/2024 12:20 pm)

2/14/2024 12:35 pm  #70

phil95 wrote:

Unless Dayton has a massive collapse, they will be dancing. They could lose 3 games down the stretch, not win the conference tournament, & still get in.

The "best" thing for the league would be to get Richmond to 25 wins, have them beat Dayton in the A-10 tournament semi-final, & lose in the final.to the Dukes.

I think the selection committee wants to see Daron Holmes in the tourney. I know I do. I think their ranking is inflated just because he is on the team.

2/14/2024 2:16 pm  #71

CLK and Iron Duke I am with you as to the last 6 minutes.  No matter the refs you can't have what happened, or better said what didn't happen,  in the last 6 minutes - end of story.  As CLK said:
With 6 plus minutes to go the Dukes were up 4, and Dambrot had three time outs left. and then the  wheels fell off.  From that point on there were no visible signs of coaching.  

And as Iron Duke said Grant became the hunter and Dambrot the hunted.  No response to their press, no timely use of time outs, it is what it is.  Hopefully we bounce back next game.   

2/14/2024 3:00 pm  #72

Grant’s decision to full court pressure us was a good one but most of our turnovers over that stretch were not a result of that full court pressure, we got sloppy once we broke it. It definitely disrupted our rhythm though, and 8 straight trips to the free throw line allowed them to keep setting it up. The press also created wide open threes for us when we broke it, we just couldn’t get any to drop.  My only qualm as far as coaching in the last 5 min was that Dambrot did not get a T sooner. We need to have zero tolerance for that type of garbage. 8 straight trips  to the line is absurd. 23-3 free throw disparity is absurd. And it isn’t like we were settling for jumpshots in the game. We had 32 points in the paint compared to their 34.

2/14/2024 4:44 pm  #73

CityDuke wrote:

Grant’s decision to full court pressure us was a good one but most of our turnovers over that stretch were not a result of that full court pressure, we got sloppy once we broke it. It definitely disrupted our rhythm though, and 8 straight trips to the free throw line allowed them to keep setting it up. The press also created wide open threes for us when we broke it, we just couldn’t get any to drop. My only qualm as far as coaching in the last 5 min was that Dambrot did not get a T sooner. We need to have zero tolerance for that type of garbage. 8 straight trips to the line is absurd. 23-3 free throw disparity is absurd. And it isn’t like we were settling for jumpshots in the game. We had 32 points in the paint compared to their 34.

Ref's do favor teams especially on a home court like Dayton. 13,000 seats all full and all screaming. Plus Dayton lost last week and are ranked. If they did lose to DU, they would not be ranked next week, nor get an at large bid. Those refs took a close game, playing a losing team like (DU) and moved the goal post, in the better interest of the league. Plus those 13,000 fans cheering the refs instead of screaming for their heads. Yes refs do take sides. The only way for DU to have won that game was sink all those missed 3 pointers, then the refs would have nothing left to call. I'm not mad that DU lost this one, it's the 5 plus previous winnable games that got us here that makes me mad. Now DU's only chance for the dance is win the tourney, and they just don't look like they are coached up enough for that. 

2/14/2024 4:47 pm  #74

City, I mean no disrespect, but to blame this game loss on a conspiracy by the refs and A10 toinsure a Dayton win is really out there to me to put it gently. Dayton continually drove the ball and got hacked. Duquesne almost exclusively in the second half shot threes. Dayton is not going to foul on three point shots. From the 6:17 mark when the big run started for Dayton, Duquesne shot 0-7 from three, 1-2 from two, 4 turnovers, and a technical on Dambrot. Let's call it what it was and move on. Missed calls, bad calls maybe. Conspiracy?

2/14/2024 4:47 pm  #75

BluffHunter wrote:

You expect some homer calls wherever you go but Tre was definitely shooting when he got fouled at halftime... I will probably rewatch the second half tonight whenever I'm ready to get angry again... ugh.

And Kidd... I think calling a team that was up 4 against the #16 team in the country with 6 minutes left "garbage" is "pathetic". Also the reason people come to this website and cheer on this team is because it is the Duquesne fans message board.

I have been coming to this board for a long time and I have rarely posted because I generally just support the team and enjoy reading other people's comments who have way more insight into the team and local scene (I live in NY) than I do.
Often times over the years I have found the board to be overly negative at times, and yet here we are and I am the only one seemingly feeling this way. Lately I have been coming here to commiserate with people who I figured were as frustrated as I am and apparently that is somehow not the case, the board is more positive than ever.

I will stop posting after this because no one wants to hear negativity clearly, but if you were reading these posts on the last few games you would think this team was a rag tag bunch of upstarts finding their way through a tough season.

This is a team that has SEVEN 5th year players! This is a team has more talent and experience than any other team in the A10. This is a team that was picked to finish in the top 4 by EVERYONE. This is a team who should find ways to win at the end of games with all that experience, not find ways to lose over and over again. This is a team that had a net and a kenpom in the 60's before the Santa Clara loss. This is a team that should have been contending for an at-large bid, or at the very least, an NIT invite. Instead, they sit at 4-7 in the conference, below many teams with much weaker rosters, and have no chance of a postseason invite without winning the A10 tournament. Year after year the tournament comes and goes without us involved and we have come to accept that, but this year was supposed to finally be different and I don't know how everyone else isn't as disgusted as I am.

Good luck to the Dukes the rest of the way, hope they win the A10 Tournament.....but they won't.

Board footera