Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2024 5:14 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (A)

kidd082000 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

You expect some homer calls wherever you go but Tre was definitely shooting when he got fouled at halftime... I will probably rewatch the second half tonight whenever I'm ready to get angry again... ugh.

And Kidd... I think calling a team that was up 4 against the #16 team in the country with 6 minutes left "garbage" is "pathetic". Also the reason people come to this website and cheer on this team is because it is the Duquesne fans message board.

I have been coming to this board for a long time and I have rarely posted because I generally just support the team and enjoy reading other people's comments who have way more insight into the team and local scene (I live in NY) than I do.
Often times over the years I have found the board to be overly negative at times, and yet here we are and I am the only one seemingly feeling this way. Lately I have been coming here to commiserate with people who I figured were as frustrated as I am and apparently that is somehow not the case, the board is more positive than ever.

I will stop posting after this because no one wants to hear negativity clearly, but if you were reading these posts on the last few games you would think this team was a rag tag bunch of upstarts finding their way through a tough season.

This is a team that has SEVEN 5th year players! This is a team has more talent and experience than any other team in the A10. This is a team that was picked to finish in the top 4 by EVERYONE. This is a team who should find ways to win at the end of games with all that experience, not find ways to lose over and over again. This is a team that had a net and a kenpom in the 60's before the Santa Clara loss. This is a team that should have been contending for an at-large bid, or at the very least, an NIT invite. Instead, they sit at 4-7 in the conference, below many teams with much weaker rosters, and have no chance of a postseason invite without winning the A10 tournament. Year after year the tournament comes and goes without us involved and we have come to accept that, but this year was supposed to finally be different and I don't know how everyone else isn't as disgusted as I am.

Good luck to the Dukes the rest of the way, hope they win the A10 Tournament.....but they won't.

Your frustration is definitely warranted. I just don’t think this team is garbage.

2/14/2024 6:05 pm  #77

BluffHunter wrote:

kidd082000 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

You expect some homer calls wherever you go but Tre was definitely shooting when he got fouled at halftime... I will probably rewatch the second half tonight whenever I'm ready to get angry again... ugh.

And Kidd... I think calling a team that was up 4 against the #16 team in the country with 6 minutes left "garbage" is "pathetic". Also the reason people come to this website and cheer on this team is because it is the Duquesne fans message board.

I have been coming to this board for a long time and I have rarely posted because I generally just support the team and enjoy reading other people's comments who have way more insight into the team and local scene (I live in NY) than I do.
Often times over the years I have found the board to be overly negative at times, and yet here we are and I am the only one seemingly feeling this way. Lately I have been coming here to commiserate with people who I figured were as frustrated as I am and apparently that is somehow not the case, the board is more positive than ever.

I will stop posting after this because no one wants to hear negativity clearly, but if you were reading these posts on the last few games you would think this team was a rag tag bunch of upstarts finding their way through a tough season.

This is a team that has SEVEN 5th year players! This is a team has more talent and experience than any other team in the A10. This is a team that was picked to finish in the top 4 by EVERYONE. This is a team who should find ways to win at the end of games with all that experience, not find ways to lose over and over again. This is a team that had a net and a kenpom in the 60's before the Santa Clara loss. This is a team that should have been contending for an at-large bid, or at the very least, an NIT invite. Instead, they sit at 4-7 in the conference, below many teams with much weaker rosters, and have no chance of a postseason invite without winning the A10 tournament. Year after year the tournament comes and goes without us involved and we have come to accept that, but this year was supposed to finally be different and I don't know how everyone else isn't as disgusted as I am.

Good luck to the Dukes the rest of the way, hope they win the A10 Tournament.....but they won't.

Your frustration is definitely warranted. I just don’t think this team is garbage.

Well that was in the heat of the moment because I also had 500 on them at +8.5.

So obviously I don't think they are garbage, as I said, I actually think they are very good, that's what's so maddening. They play most of these games like one of the too 40 teams in the country, but I've never seen such a good team blow so many games, they could/should be 20-4. They are the worst very good team I have ever seen.

Last edited by kidd082000 (2/14/2024 6:13 pm)

2/14/2024 7:23 pm  #78

CLK wrote:

City, I mean no disrespect, but to blame this game loss on a conspiracy by the refs and A10 toinsure a Dayton win is really out there to me to put it gently. Dayton continually drove the ball and got hacked. Duquesne almost exclusively in the second half shot threes. Dayton is not going to foul on three point shots. From the 6:17 mark when the big run started for Dayton, Duquesne shot 0-7 from three, 1-2 from two, 4 turnovers, and a technical on Dambrot. Let's call it what it was and move on. Missed calls, bad calls maybe. Conspiracy?

I think you are missing the overall commentary, at least the one I am making. If you watch the game again you will see plenty of those calls during the their run that did not necessarily need to be called. Often times some contact is allowed but during that run they called everything.  Not only that they did not make one call against Dayton. They could have easily called something against Dayton when they were pressing to to even things up especially when the contact was similar. They did not. I’m sure if you look at each foul called you could say that it was a legitimate foul but they chose to call every single one. How many times have you seen contact in the lane NOT called.  All the time. It would have been nice if the refs could have just tried to make it fair and call it both ways but they did not. I will continue to reiterate that the refs did not cost us the game. It just would have been nice to see what would have happened had they evened up the calls a bit

Last edited by Styles1229 (2/14/2024 7:39 pm)

2/14/2024 8:33 pm  #79

Styles1229 wrote:

CLK wrote:

City, I mean no disrespect, but to blame this game loss on a conspiracy by the refs and A10 toinsure a Dayton win is really out there to me to put it gently. Dayton continually drove the ball and got hacked. Duquesne almost exclusively in the second half shot threes. Dayton is not going to foul on three point shots. From the 6:17 mark when the big run started for Dayton, Duquesne shot 0-7 from three, 1-2 from two, 4 turnovers, and a technical on Dambrot. Let's call it what it was and move on. Missed calls, bad calls maybe. Conspiracy?

I think you are missing the overall commentary, at least the one I am making. If you watch the game again you will see plenty of those calls during the their run that did not necessarily need to be called. Often times some contact is allowed but during that run they called everything. Not only that they did not make one call against Dayton. They could have easily called something against Dayton when they were pressing to to even things up especially when the contact was similar. They did not. I’m sure if you look at each foul called you could say that it was a legitimate foul but they chose to call every single one. How many times have you seen contact in the lane NOT called. All the time. It would have been nice if the refs could have just tried to make it fair and call it both ways but they did not. I will continue to reiterate that the refs did not cost us the game. It just would have been nice to see what would have happened had they evened up the calls a bit

I agree totally. If the refs called an even game, likely Dayton would have won a close game. That second half press teams use on the Dukes and the total lack of the Dukes hitting 3's did them in, but the refs did favor Dayton from the 6 minute make on. 

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/15/2024 7:33 am)

2/15/2024 8:59 am  #80

Gents, it seems to me that many times after tough loses this board likes to look at the officials instead of the collapse of the team and more importantly the style that it plays. It’s extremely difficult to draw fouls when you are launching 3’s and really have very few players who take the ball to the hoop HARD. Many of the drives made by the Dukes have them falling away from the hoop or defender fearing a block. 
The Dukes by their nature want to pressure their man to man no matter where many times resulting in stupid fouls 40+ feet from the hoop. Clark at Bonaventure on his 5th foul is a classic example. 
We are last in the conference in offensive efficiency and we are last in the conference in points scored from the foul line. We are last in the conference in the percentage of points we give up at the foul line.  This is no conspiracy this is our style of play and it’s been that way since KD got here!

BTW Richmond lost to UMass at home last night. Both teams shot the same amount of foul shots. So much for A-10 wanting two teams in the NCAA's. We ALL root with our hearts but come on. 

Last edited by The Dome (2/15/2024 9:16 am)

2/15/2024 9:17 am  #81

Richmond lost to UMass last night so that means Dayton and Loyola are tied for first with Richmond a half game behind. As things stand currently Loyola owns the tiebreaker over Dayton. Man they have turned it around in an impressive way.

10-2 Loyola Chicago
10-2 Dayton
9-2 Richmond
8-3 VCU
7-5 UMass
6-6 St. Bonaventure
6-6 Saint Joseph’s
6-6 George Mason
5-6 Rhode Island
4-7 Davidson
4-7 Duquesne
4–7 Fordham
3-8 George Washington
2-9 Saint Louis
2-10 La Salle

2/15/2024 10:55 am  #82

The Dome wrote:

Gents, it seems to me that many times after tough loses this board likes to look at the officials instead of the collapse of the team and more importantly the style that it plays. It’s extremely difficult to draw fouls when you are launching 3’s and really have very few players who take the ball to the hoop HARD. Many of the drives made by the Dukes have them falling away from the hoop or defender fearing a block. 
The Dukes by their nature want to pressure their man to man no matter where many times resulting in stupid fouls 40+ feet from the hoop. Clark at Bonaventure on his 5th foul is a classic example. 
We are last in the conference in offensive efficiency and we are last in the conference in points scored from the foul line. We are last in the conference in the percentage of points we give up at the foul line.  This is no conspiracy this is our style of play and it’s been that way since KD got here!

BTW Richmond lost to UMass at home last night. Both teams shot the same number of foul shots. So much for A-10 wanting two teams in the NCAA's. We ALL root with our hearts but come on. 

Thanks Dome. This was the point I was trying to make, but you said it much better.  As disappointing as this season has been so far, if the Dukes can finish strong and get to 10 wins, they can still get into the top 6.  Tall order but looking at the schedule it is in my humble opinion possible. I think they match up favorably against the remaining teams and have the talent to do it. However. it is gut check time for the coaches and players.   

2/15/2024 10:58 am  #83

Kidd and Dome I couldn't agree with you more.  We all want the Dukes to win and this should have been our year.  I'm sorry but I'd like to know what the odds are of the Dukes winning the A-10 tournament and I would put good money on us not achieving that goal no matter the odds, just the reality.  Just look at the point that Dome made:

2/15/2024 11:06 am  #84

This is a very compelling argument for.....the officiating conspiracy being focused only on screwing our beloved Dukes.

Just kidding. This is a great post.

The Dome wrote:

BTW Richmond lost to UMass at home last night. Both teams shot the same amount of foul shots. So much for A-10 wanting two teams in the NCAA's. We ALL root with our hearts but come on. 

2/15/2024 3:30 pm  #85

Style of play? We had two fewer points in the paint than Dayton. In the last 6 minutes, fair. We shot threes because they were open because of the full court press. But even so, they shot 22 threes compared to our 20 attempts. 3 free throws over the course of the other 34 minutes when we were driving and banging bodies just as much as Dayton was? This is no conspiracy. Dayton had 7 fouls called on them that weren’t intentional fouls THE WHOLE GAME. 23 free throws to 3.  These are the facts. Do with them what you will.

2/15/2024 3:40 pm  #86

City Duke I am sorry but this team has talent. I had predicted the Nebraska game to be a joke with the referees, it was. But Coach Dambrots game day coaching is not on a coach K or Bobby Knight level. Not even close.  If I had a dollar for every time outs Coach Dambrot left on the table during runs I would be a millionaire. Sorry I can’t blame the referees or an A10 conspiracy. Just win baby. Go Dukes.

2/15/2024 3:50 pm  #87

Dome makes a lot of sense in his comments regarding the ability of the Dukes to draw fouls.  Jimmy has often been the only Duke player who takes guys to the hoop as a major part of his game.  Dave D., Tre Williams and Jake are also capable of getting to the hoop; but they don't get that many opportunities.  Consequently, a lot of shots are taken from the perimeter and therefore not likely to draw contact and fouls.  On the other hand, the more talented opponents seem always to make it a priority to probe the Dukes interior defense and continue to do so until the fouls start to rain down on the Dukes.  It is a big problem trying to hold a lead or close a gap in the second-half when you are fouling nearly every defensive stand.  As Dome stated, this has been a long-standing issue and the failure to seal off the driving lanes and cut off access to the lane is an ongoing challenge for this team.  In my view, the defense seems to be able to control penetration successfully for portions of games, but for some reason it typically is not sustained throughout many games. 

Last edited by levon1975 (2/15/2024 3:52 pm)

Board footera