Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2024 10:55 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (H)

I was so impressed & encouraged by the number of times I saw Dixon resist the urge to take actions likely to lead to pointless/costly fouls.

NapaDuke wrote:

Prince of Pilsner wrote:

Great game, great crowd.  Two very good teams slugging it out.  The game was very entertaining, and the refs let them play.  Both teams will be tough outs come tournament time.  In my humble opinion, this was the best game I have recently. seen them play.  Good defense in particular!  Necas and Dimmicheal  will be great down the road.

Just maybe they can take this momentum and finish strong enough to get a first round bye. I like Dixon starting. I hope that continues. Nice win.

2/18/2024 12:18 pm  #27

We sat near some kids who were having a great time dancing and chanting "defense.....defense".  It really helped create atmosphere for a small crowd. Keep winning and the crowds will grow. Let's Go Dukes.

2/18/2024 1:01 pm  #28

Jarrett Durham put it best yesterday when asked the identity of the Dukes,he said the team is consistently
inconsistent.Next game is St. Louis and with the Dukes you never know,Hopefully the Dukes can clean up some of the careless passes and rebound better.
 Really so pleased with David Dixon and the way he improves almost every game.The team seems to be
improving and am optimistic.

2/18/2024 1:34 pm  #29

2/18/2024 1:40 pm  #30

Duquesne is now 1.5 games out of 5th in the A-10 standings, ahead of a home game vs last place Saint Louis.

https://x.com/hoopsnut351/status/1759240345513062606

2/18/2024 2:09 pm  #31

With Rhode Island losing at home to Loyola-Chicago, Duquesne now is 9th in the Atlantic 10 standings and if the tournament started today, would get a first round bye.

https://x.com/hoopsnut351/status/1759293207412699474

2/18/2024 3:09 pm  #32

Nice article. I figured Dusan didn't practice much this week and that was likely the reason Dixon got the start, but I like Dixon in the starting five. at 6'9" , he plays taller than his size. He is growing into a big time interior player.

2/18/2024 3:19 pm  #33

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

With Rhode Island losing at home to Loyola-Chicago, Duquesne now is 9th in the Atlantic 10 standings and if the tournament started today, would get a first round bye.

https://x.com/hoopsnut351/status/1759293207412699474

It looks like the Dukes go 4 and 2 in the last 6 games and likely get a bye. I'd hope for more, but 4w seems in reach.

2/19/2024 8:32 am  #34

I watched a taped version of the game yesterday and I was struck by both broadcasters wanting to question KD about has use of 12 men in the rotation. What really perked color man John Giannini’s interest was the fact that Necas and Savrasov played key minutes and that no indication was given to their possible roles during the game planning and shoot around. 
Im sure we have all questioned KD’s substitution pattern but this sort of added to the randomness of it. How suddenly does a player get time?  I also noted that in the pregame access he gave the announcers KD said he thought it was best for his team to win ugly. 🤔

2/19/2024 9:44 am  #35

4 of 6 isnt unreasonable.   5 of 6 is within reach.   Obviously VCU is the one.   But they need to play every one of these 6 like they are tournament games.   If they do, and Necas becomes the final piece to the puzzle(main 5), then I think the A10 needs to watch out.   

But right now, just beat St Louie.

PS:   Dixon's  FT% up 11pts from last year.   Impressed more and more by that guy every week.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/19/2024 11:36 am)

2/19/2024 11:40 am  #36

Seeing Savrasov start the 2nd half was quite the surprise as was the limited playing time for Drame.

I didn't think Saturday's win was accomplished by playing ugly. I thought it demonstrated the team's ability to win in more than one way. Overall, the team is better than it was a month ago.

I couldn't care less how they win just as long as they do win!

The Dome wrote:

I watched a taped version of the game yesterday and I was struck by both broadcasters wanting to question KD about has use of 12 men in the rotation. What really perked color man John Giannini’s interest was the fact that Necas and Savrasov played key minutes and that no indication was given to their possible roles during the game planning and shoot around. 
Im sure we have all questioned KD’s substitution pattern but this sort of added to the randomness of it. How suddenly does a player get time?  I also noted that in the pregame access he gave the announcers KD said he thought it was best for his team to win ugly. 🤔

2/19/2024 11:58 am  #37

townsonkid wrote:

4 of 6 isnt unreasonable.   5 of 6 is within reach.   Obviously VCU is the one.   But they need to play every one of these 6 like they are tournament games.   If they do, and Necas becomes the final piece to the puzzle(main 5), then I think the A10 needs to watch out.   

But right now, just beat St Louie.

PS:   Dixon's  FT% up 11pts from last year.   Impressed more and more by that guy every week.

I’ve also noticed Dixon’s improved FT shooting. Even within this season.  He’s now hot 10 of his last 12 attempts.  Having a big man that hit FTs is a luxury.  Let’s just get him to the line more

2/19/2024 12:07 pm  #38

Very good performance. For those doubting player development, see David Dixon. Wow has he turned into a star. See Grant’s inside game. He was never this effective around the rim last year. See Clark’s playmaking. He is assisting and creating at a very high level right now.

Great win for the Dukes and a good job by Dambrot and the staff!  Relating to Dixon and his development it is not a matter of him becoming more skilled and developed.  It is simply a matter of him staying on the court.  Dixon is an elite athlete with a high motor, he is tough, and he wants to win.  He should only come off the court for four reasons:

1. He is injured
2. He is tired and asks to come out
3. He is in foul trouble
4. He comes out at a pre-determined time around a media time out to get some rest

The same is true for Grant and Jimmy C. 

2/19/2024 12:42 pm  #39

Dixon may be showing more improvement than any player that I've seen on the bluff in many a year. Whether it's coaching or just hard work on David's part, or a combination of both, it is truly good to see and his free throw percentage is rising like a hot air balloon. Grant is off the charts with his foul shooting and I have to believe it's simply a matter of extra effort in the gym. We have other players who are not showing the same improvement in areas of their game. Maybe they need to spend just a bit more time in the gym sharpening their skills?

Last edited by El Presidente (2/19/2024 12:44 pm)

2/19/2024 12:51 pm  #40

lakersnixon wrote:

Very good performance. For those doubting player development, see David Dixon. Wow has he turned into a star. See Grant’s inside game. He was never this effective around the rim last year. See Clark’s playmaking. He is assisting and creating at a very high level right now.

Great win for the Dukes and a good job by Dambrot and the staff!  Relating to Dixon and his development it is not a matter of him becoming more skilled and developed.  It is simply a matter of him staying on the court.  Dixon is an elite athlete with a high motor, he is tough, and he wants to win.  He should only come off the court for four reasons:

1. He is injured
2. He is tired and asks to come out
3. He is in foul trouble
4. He comes out at a pre-determined time around a media time out to get some rest

The same is true for Grant and Jimmy C. 

I totally agree with this substitution comment.  KD’s substitutions have long frustrated me.  A guy makes a couple nice offensive plays and he’s yanked.  I’m sure KD will say it’s to get fresh bodies in there or keep guys fresh and rested but no other teams seem to do it as much as the Dukes and it’s not like in years past the Dukes have been stronger than their opponents at the end of the season.  Actually, it’s the opposite.  And to the point that Dixon’s current development somehow negates KD’s long history of not developing players here - one example to the contrary does not make it so.  And if Dixon leaves or starts to regress then it’s a continuation of the pattern. 

I’m more excited about Dixon than I have been for a player since…. TJ? Eric Williams?  I hope that whatever the plan is for coaching next season it takes into consideration David Dixon and what will make him the most happy

Board footera