Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2024 6:44 pm  #1

Game Thread - Saint Louis University Billikens

7:00pm EST tip on Tuesday 2/20/2024 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Betting line: Dukes are 9½ point favorites; Over/Under 149½
Duquesne 10-14 Against the Spread: Saint Louis 10-14 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 102; Saint Louis 223

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #106 (15-10; 5-7 A10) vs Saint Louis #209 (9-16; 2-10 A10)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 10, 80-70 - Dukes with 82% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=4765
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #119 vs Saint Louis #187
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 9, 78.05-69.26
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=301&tid2=4391&neut=0
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #101 vs Saint Louis #182
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 11, 80-69 - Dukes with a 83% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/2/19/mens-basketball-duquesne-hosts-saint-louis-tuesday.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/2/19/26_Saint_Louis.pdf Saint Louis Game Notes: 

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html Saint Louis:https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/Saint-Louis/men/2024.html
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Bradley (75); UC Irvine (77); St.Bonaventure-2 (79); Saint Joseph's (112); College of Charleston (125); Rhode Island (181) 
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Santa Clara (116); Davidson (115); Saint Joseph's (112); Loyola Chicago (102); UMass (96); Richmond (82); Princeton (66)

Saint Louis KenPom Best Wins: Louisiana Tech (80); Saint Joseph's (112); Hofstra (136); Wyoming (174); Illinois St (180); La Salle (244) 
Saint Louis KenPom Worst Losses: Fordham (212); Wichita St (162); Davidson (115); Southern Illinois (113); Vermont (109); Loyola Chicago-2 (102)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 33.1%, 207 in D-1; Defense 32.4%, 96 in D-1
Saint Louis 3 Point:  Offense 36.2%, 55 in D-1; Defense 34.8%, 250 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.6%, 203 in D-1; Defense 47.8%, 74 in D-1
Saint Louis 2 Point:  Offense 48.3%, 263 in D-1; Defense 53.3%, 301 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 69.2%, 284 in D-1; Defense 69.9%, 79 in D-1
Saint Louis FT:  Offense 74.7%, 68 in D-1; Defense 74.2%, 314 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Saint Louis Adj Offense Efficiency - 109.6; 111 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.3; 70 in D-1
Saint Louis Adj Defense Efficiency - 113.3; 327 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.7; 166 in D-1
Saint Louis Adj Tempo - 69.5; 83 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.1; 221 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Saint Louis 2.07 yrs; 127 in D-1; Dukes 2.55 yrs; 49 in D-1
Average Height - Saint Louis 76.6"; 261 in D-1; Dukes 76.4"; 300 in D-1

2/19/2024 6:50 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis University Billikens

2/19/2024 8:46 pm  #3

Take no opponent for granted.St.Louis likes to run and if they get into a good rhytm they can score lots of points. 

2/19/2024 9:22 pm  #4

Dambrot will not take St. Louis for granted. We need to have another good night of shooting 3's and come out to start both halves with tremendous energy.

Go Dukes and play Dixon a lot of minutes!

2/20/2024 8:58 am  #5

2/20/2024 9:55 am  #6

There is an excellent article in the Post Gazette today by Zeiss on college basketball in Pittsburgh.  Highlighted are the Duquesne Women and Pitt Men’s teams. Sadly the Dukes men’s have a (0) for getting to an NCAA tournament.

As was stated in another post title on the board…many folks’ opinion is that Dambrot has improved the program but has failed because he never got us to an NCAA OR NIT game. It’s time to give another coach a chance.  I like Schmidt, the coach from Ohio State got fired but I doubt he’d come here. Of course they will probably go with Dru Joyce who will probably coach like Dambrot. Good luck tonight Dukes!

2/20/2024 4:03 pm  #7

This is a huge must win tonight and there is no reason why the Dukes should not prevail.
They simply have more and deeper talent.
As to Dru Joyce, I have no idea how he would coach the Dukes. There may be more qualified candidates for the head coaching job here but certain there are many of those who would not be interested without a sizable salary increase closer to 2 million per year. Say 1.8 maybe. It's all speculation at this point. Right?

2/20/2024 4:32 pm  #8

If Drew Joyce is responsible for the current Fort Duquesne defensive scheme this year he may get the job on the cheap.My major concern is that the staff all played under Coach Dambrot. Not that this is horrible Coach Joyce could bring in some new assistants to open up recruiting territories and new offensive schemes. However, due to the current NCAA environment in regard to NIL & the portal the only thing that matters is “show me the money”. The AD has a big decision coming up after the season. Keep it rolling tonight Dukes👍

2/20/2024 6:51 pm  #9

Chabi in street clothes.

2/20/2024 7:19 pm  #10

Whatever ever we did to get ready for this game, we should do every game. Blistering start!

2/20/2024 7:21 pm  #11

Play smart.  Work it back inside.   Dont stop playing defense!!!!

2/20/2024 9:04 pm  #12

Another fantastic performance. St. Louis averaged 91 points over the last 3 games. We held them to 66. Sincere Parker has scored over 30 points in each of the last 3 games. We held him to 4 points on 1-8 shooting. Grant and Clark were excellent. Clark with 19 points, 4 rebounds, 7 assists, 6 steals, and a block while completely taking Parker out of the game. Dimichele with a quiet but outstanding 11 point, 9 rebound game. Also, nice to see Williams find his feet a bit again. This team is coming together!

2/20/2024 9:10 pm  #13

Duquesne was focused, locked and lethal tonight. Go Dukes 🏀

2/20/2024 9:20 pm  #14

That was fun huh guys? Dae Dae finding his stroke from 3 is also something we need desperately down the stretch. Barre in street clothes is a bit of a bummer... I wonder if KD will address that in his presser? We have 5 left... we are favored in 3 of those remaining 5, and frankly we need/should beat those teams. If we can steal 1 between GM or VCU, I think we can still get 5th place, which would be a Day 1 bye AND play the winner of the 12/13 game. Then face whoever ends up being 4th. It's a path forward fellas, we're not done, keep the faith.

2/20/2024 9:24 pm  #15

StillatShales wrote:

That was fun huh guys? Dae Dae finding his stroke from 3 is also something we need desperately down the stretch. Barre in street clothes is a bit of a bummer... I wonder if KD will address that in his presser? We have 5 left... we are favored in 3 of those remaining 5, and frankly we need/should beat those teams. If we can steal 1 between GM or VCU, I think we can still get 5th place, which would be a Day 1 bye AND play the winner of the 12/13 game. Then face whoever ends up being 4th. It's a path forward fellas, we're not done, keep the faith.

VCU is doable, they got spanked tonight,

2/20/2024 10:05 pm  #16

If these Dukes can play this aggressive on offense the rest of the way, then they are a different team. The defensive effort tonight was great, but the offense produced.  That late game press and trap, I think, can be beat by moving the ball quicker down the court. It seems the longer we pass it around  before mid-court, then the more we have trouble with it. This is a good starting line-up. I hope we stick with it. Dixon's drive to the hoop on the last seconds of the first half was great. He should do it more often.

2/20/2024 10:08 pm  #17

Great job taking care of business tonight! Thus should be a momentum building performance.

One of the priorities for the next game has got to be getting Drame back in the mix. He is a very important player. Also have to cleanup the turnovers.

2/21/2024 8:05 am  #18

After the team fumbled the opportunity for the upset at Dayton, I give them credit for taking care of business in the last two home games.  As mentioned above, they need to clean up the careless turnovers.  Jimmy is an amazing talent with a penchant for making game-changing plays; but as a point guard he tends to force things both on the dribble trying to split defenders and on some low percentage passes.  Against the better teams this will need to improve. 
The Dukes caught a break against St Joe’s with their big man Essandoko missing that game after scorching the Dukes for a double-double in the first matchup.  Then the struggling Billikens came to town and lived up to their record.  Hopefully the Dukes can finish the comeback in the last 5 games and get a workable position for the Tournament.
I suppose the next few game's will  determine whether the team has progressed, or just taken advantage of one team with a weakened lineup and another that is just a mess.  As usual Dukes fans we are hoping!

Last edited by levon1975 (2/21/2024 9:55 am)

2/21/2024 8:59 am  #19

Minimize successes, maximize shortcomings. The life of a Dukes fan! I hope one day we could get to 3-4 pages after a win. Let’s sweep those Rams, and I’m not just talking Fordham!

2/21/2024 9:34 am  #20

2/21/2024 9:34 am  #21

We were 0-5 in the league. This team has really turned it around and besides Davidson has been on a roll. As long as we don't have another performance like that Wednesday against Davidson I am very high on these guys. Dae Dae and Tre combined for 50... Boom.

2/21/2024 10:03 am  #22

BluffHunter wrote:

We were 0-5 in the league. This team has really turned it around and besides Davidson has been on a roll. As long as we don't have another performance like that Wednesday against Davidson I am very high on these guys. Dae Dae and Tre combined for 50... Boom.

Their success has been a function of the quality of the opponent; so beat a quality opponent and that narrative changes to being capable of beating anyone in the A-10!

2/21/2024 11:04 am  #23

levon1975 wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Their success has been a function of the quality of the opponent; so beat a quality opponent and that narrative changes to being capable of beating anyone in the A-10!

Levon, I agree with your assessment of Jimmy at PG. he is a rare talent but gets too careless with passes and overall decision making SOMETIMES.  Other times, he is a top 3 player in the A-10. Even with his penchant for tossing dangerous passes the team has excelled since he has been running point.  That’s not all on Rozier, who had to start against the top teams, but it is certainly the main reason for the turn around.

Beating the Bonnie’s twice qualifies as beating a quality opponent - especially  in Olean.  I know they aren’t world beaters but they are 7-4 vs the rest of the A-10.  4-1 down the stretch and I’ll be extremely pleased.  Can’t do worse than 3-2 and still feel good about the season

2/21/2024 11:06 am  #24

Beating Bonnies at Bonnies qualifies as a Quad 1 win.

2/21/2024 3:00 pm  #25

CityDuke wrote:

Beating Bonnies at Bonnies qualifies as a Quad 1 win.

Meanwhile we are positioned way behind them in any ranking that you care to look at.
Needed to win some other games that we didn't.

Board footera