Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2024 5:54 pm  #26

Re: When Will the Question of Coach's Status Be Addressed

The friction appears to be between the players and the coaches.  I agree that the players seem to like one another.  The Bekelja and TDM reference as Dambrot favorites were from another person's post that we have been commenting on.  They exactly fit the narrative as they both left.  

2/22/2024 5:59 pm  #27

One took a step down to be a star player on a team and one went pro. If there were friction, they would have stayed at Akron, or went somewhere else, no?

Once again, I don’t see it.

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1732598183094575377

2/22/2024 6:10 pm  #28

Bekelja averaged almost 10 minutes a game in 36 out of a possible 48 career games at Duquesne. He started 9 times despite clearly not being an A-10 level player. He shot below 27% overall & from 3Pt range for his career. As a 2nd year player, he got way more time than Hronsky is currently getting. He was a redshirt last season at Kent & is averaging 2.4 points a game there this season while continuing to shoot horribly 5 years out of high school on a mediocre MAC team.

None of this is a knock on Bekelja. It is a valid criticism of his coach who treated him as a most favored son when it came to playing time.

TDM had much to offer as a bench player but unjustifiably had the most green of green lights, played abysmal defense, got too many minutes no matter what the results in a given game, & had no discipline. (until his last 6-8 games.) A better coach would have channeled all his positive traits so much more productively. He absolutely blossomed at a lower level of competition.

For me, TDM is the perfect example of KD not getting the best from his talented players. Mike Hughes is a close second.

CityDuke wrote:

I would hardly call Bekelja a Dambrot favorite. He barely played while he was here. TDM came off the bench while he was here. He won 6th man of the year. Also, TDM and Hughes both dropped what they were doing at Akron and followed Dambrot here. Not sure that fits your narrative. Yes the turnover has been high. I see a team that seems to really like each other and celebrate each other’s successes. This is one of the closest teams I’ve witnessed here in a long time. I’m not seeing the friction.

2/22/2024 6:12 pm  #29

CityDuke wrote:

I would hardly call Bekelja a Dambrot favorite. He barely played while he was here. TDM came off the bench while he was here. He won 6th man of the year. Also, TDM and Hughes both dropped what they were doing at Akron and followed Dambrot here. Not sure that fits your narrative. Yes the turnover has been high. I see a team that seems to really like each other and celebrate each other’s successes. This is one of the closest teams I’ve witnessed here in a long time. I’m not seeing the friction.

I cited Bekelja as a favorite of the coach along with TDM, the grad asst from 2 years ago, and Rozier as “favorites” of KD because he  consistently mentioned them in the press.  We’ve had lots of great talent here that KD barely ever mentioned when talking about the team INCLUDING Dixon and Clark. If he mentions them he always qualifies any praise with things they aren’t doing right. Maybe that’s his way of motivating them but he regularly talked about Bekelja, TDM, and Rozier with high praise and little to no criticism.  KD could be building Dixon and Clark up to the press constantly so anybody that reads about the team would know what great players they are.  The little to no press this team gets NEEDS to include Clark and Dixon and Grant with high praise from the coach that they deserve but it never does. It is my belief that this does not go unrecognized by the players and leads to a culture of unhappiness. Rozier aside, I don’t contend that KD’s favorites get the most PT.  Just attention and praise. I think players want to feel appreciated and have their talent recognized by the HC and when it is not they will look to play elsewhere.  To be fair, KD DID heap high praise on Sin Carry and he still left but that is an exception. 

I don’t follow the coaching talent in NCAACB enough to have an opinion about who should come next but I do feel like Dru would be a step back.  KD has brought DU basketball to the middle of the pack and a step back cannot occur. I think the next coach has to be a proven winner

2/22/2024 6:24 pm  #30

Candidate #2 Brandin Knight – Associate Head Coach – Rutgers.  This guy has some ties to Pittsburgh having played and coached at Pitt.  He has extensive recruiting experience in the Northeast.  He was a winner at every level and is the associate head coach for one of the most respected head coaches and “good guys” in the game, Steve Pikiell

Over 17 years he has worked his way up the ladder from a video coordinator up to the Associate Head Coach of a successful Big-Ten program.  Coach Knight deserves an opportunity to be a head coach!
According to public records, Knight makes between $400,000 and $625,000.  Should be affordable to a program looking to give a young man who was one of the 40 under 40: rising stars by The Athletic.
Brandon Knight is Candidate #2!  Read his bio from the Rutgers site below:

Brandin Knight heads into his third season as Associate Head Coach with Rutgers men’s basketball in 2023-24 and his eighth season since he joined the team as an Assistant coach joining Rutgers University on April 18, 2016. A New Jersey native with a reputation as one of college basketball’s rising coaches, he has advanced to 12 NCAA Tournaments as either a staffer (ten) or student-athlete (two), including four Sweet Sixteen appearances.

In 2022-23, the Scarlet Knights became the first team in RU history to amass four consecutive winning seasons. RU reached postseason play in three consecutive seasons with a trip to the NIT. In 2021-22, Knight helped RU return to the NCAA Tournament in 2021, making its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1991. The Scarlet Knights returned to the NCAA Tournament in 2022 marking the first time RU has made the big dance in consecutive seasons since 1976.Along with, the Scarlet Knights fourth straight season with double-digit Big Ten triumphs. In 2021-22, Knight helped the team return to the NCAA Tournament in 2021, making its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1991. The Scarlet Knights returned to the NCAA Tournament in 2022 marking the first time RU has made the big dance in consecutive seasons since 1976. 

In addition to playing an instrumental role in recruiting, game-planning and opponent scouting, Knight is key in the development of the Scarlet Knights’ backcourt and perimeter players. Rutgers has welcomed four-star signees from New Jersey in three consecutive classes, with Cliff Omoruyi (2020), Paul Mulcahy (2019) and Ron Harper, Jr. (2018) all electing to stay home, keyed by the recruiting presence of Knight. who was named to The Athletic’s 40 Under 40 Rising Stars list in the 2020 offseason. Despite playing the among the toughest conference schedules in the Big Ten according to Ken Pom analysis the past five seasons, Rutgers has made significant strides with Knight on staff. In 2020-21, RU earned its first NCAA Tournament bid since 1991 and earned an opening round victory over Clemson that marked RU’s first NCAA Tournament since 1983. 

In 2019-20, the Scarlet Knights posted their first winning season in 14 years with a 20-11 record. It was the program’s first 20-win regular season in 37 years. The team had 18 regular season home wins, the most in the nation and a program record. The Scarlet Knights tied for fifth in the Big Ten Conference, the nation’s top-rated league per Ken Pomeroy, posting an 11-9 mark in league games. RU earned its most conference victories in 29 years. RU earned its first opening road bye in a conference tournament in 25 years, and were poised to secure its first NCAA Tournament berth since 1991.

The Scarlet Knights had four double-digit victories over ranked opponents, including a 20-point win over Seton Hall in the annual Garden State Hardwood Classic, RU largest margin of victory over a ranked foe in program history. During the season, Rutgers joined the national rankings for the first time in 41 years and were ranked or receiving votes for eight weeks. RU was recognized as the nation’s Most Improved Team in 2018-19 by Sports Illustrated. The Scarlet Knights improved 70 positions in the KenPom.com rankings, best among all Power conference programs. Rutgers earned seven league victories, its most in conference play in 13 years, while competing with a roster ranked 330th in experience.

The Scarlet Knights ranked among the top three in the Big Ten in eight statistical categories in 2017-18 and won two conference tournament games for the first time since 1998. In 2016-17, Rutgers more than doubled its overall win total, while tripling their conference victory total, en route to a plus-117 rank improvement in RPI. Knight arrived to Rutgers after an accomplished tenure at the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to being named assistant coach by Jamie Dixon in 2008, Knight served the 2007-08 and 2006-07 seasons as Director of Men’s Basketball Operations and Program Assistant/Video Coordinator, respectively. The Panthers compiled a 252-101 (.714) record and reached the postseason all 10 seasons with Knight on staff. Pitt won the 2008 Big East Championship, earned two NCAA Tournament No. 1 seeds (2009 & 2011) and captured the 2011 Big East regular season title.

Knight was instrumental in the development of All-America selection Sam Young, and all-league guards Levance Fields, Ashton Gibbs and Tray Woodall. A point guard from 1999-2003, Knight’s leadership was instrumental in Pitt’s basketball renaissance. He helped lead the Panthers to consecutive Big East regular season titles (2001-02 and 2002-03), two NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances (2002 and 2003), the program’s first Big East Tournament title (2003), three consecutive appearances in the Big East Tournament final (2001, 2002, and 2003) and an 89-40 (.690) four-year record. A 2003 Wooden All-American, 2002 Associated Press All-American and two-time All-Big East honoree, Knight concluded his career with 1,440 points, 785 assists, 492 rebounds and 298 steals. He earned the Big East’s co-Most Valuable Player and Most Improved Player awards in 2001-02. Knight still holds school records for career assists (785), career assist average (6.2), career steals (298), career 3-point field goal attempts (261), season minutes played (1,284 in 2001-02) and consecutive games played with at least one assist (91 from 2000-03).Knight’s No. 20 jersey was retired by the Panthers on March 4, 2009 and he was recognized as a member of the Pitt Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2020. 

Following his collegiate career, Knight played two seasons with the NBDL’s Asheville Altitude. He helped lead the Altitude to back-to-back league titles in both 2003-04 and 2004-05. In 2005, he signed a contract with the Houston Rockets, but suffered a knee injury. Knight spent the following two years in Pittsburgh rehabbing the injury. During that span, he became involved with coaching. He directed several AAU teams, including a squad that captured the Under-16 Pittsburgh Jamfest title in 2006. An East Orange native, Knight’s brother Brevin was a 12-year NBA veteran and a consensus All-America point guard at Stanford (1994-97). The Knights represent one of only eight brother combinations in NCAA Division I history to earn All-America honors. 

The son of Brenda and Melvin Knight, his father is a former Seton Hall assistant basketball coach (1978-82) and player (1968-71), who served as athletic director at Essex County College (N.J.) prior to his retirement. Knight graduated with a History degree from Pitt in June, 2005. He and wife Michelle are proud parents of two children, daughter Kylah and son Brandin Jr.

2/22/2024 6:31 pm  #31

Welcome to the board Lakers.  This is good info! Are we sure Dambrot is done after this? I thought I saw something about an extension.  Maybe it was on here, I can't remember.

2/22/2024 6:41 pm  #32

CityDuke wrote:

I also don’t see the friction this year. The team respects dimichele because he plays hard and he even motivates them to get down and dirty like he does. Even in the press conference when Clark and Grant are asked about being a dangerous duo after dropping 50 points combined Grant made sure he said it’s not just them two who are dangerous and have chemistry but the whole team.

2/22/2024 6:47 pm  #33

CityDuke wrote:

Welcome to the board Lakers.  This is good info! Are we sure Dambrot is done after this? I thought I saw something about an extension.  Maybe it was on here, I can't remember.

Rumors are becoming louder and louder about retirement. But as mentioned it hasn’t been addressed by the media in any pressers

2/22/2024 7:00 pm  #34

lakersnixon wrote:

Candidate #2 Brandin Knight – Associate Head Coach – Rutgers.  This guy has some ties to Pittsburgh having played and coached at Pitt.  He has extensive recruiting experience in the Northeast.  He was a winner at every level and is the associate head coach for one of the most respected head coaches and “good guys” in the game, Steve Pikiell

Over 17 years he has worked his way up the ladder from a video coordinator up to the Associate Head Coach of a successful Big-Ten program.  Coach Knight deserves an opportunity to be a head coach!
According to public records, Knight makes between $400,000 and $625,000.  Should be affordable to a program looking to give a young man who was one of the 40 under 40: rising stars by The Athletic.
Brandon Knight is Candidate #2!  Read his bio from the Rutgers site below:

Brandin Knight heads into his third season as Associate Head Coach with Rutgers men’s basketball in 2023-24 and his eighth season since he joined the team as an Assistant coach joining Rutgers University on April 18, 2016. A New Jersey native with a reputation as one of college basketball’s rising coaches, he has advanced to 12 NCAA Tournaments as either a staffer (ten) or student-athlete (two), including four Sweet Sixteen appearances.

In 2022-23, the Scarlet Knights became the first team in RU history to amass four consecutive winning seasons. RU reached postseason play in three consecutive seasons with a trip to the NIT. In 2021-22, Knight helped RU return to the NCAA Tournament in 2021, making its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1991. The Scarlet Knights returned to the NCAA Tournament in 2022 marking the first time RU has made the big dance in consecutive seasons since 1976.Along with, the Scarlet Knights fourth straight season with double-digit Big Ten triumphs. In 2021-22, Knight helped the team return to the NCAA Tournament in 2021, making its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1991. The Scarlet Knights returned to the NCAA Tournament in 2022 marking the first time RU has made the big dance in consecutive seasons since 1976. 

In addition to playing an instrumental role in recruiting, game-planning and opponent scouting, Knight is key in the development of the Scarlet Knights’ backcourt and perimeter players. Rutgers has welcomed four-star signees from New Jersey in three consecutive classes, with Cliff Omoruyi (2020), Paul Mulcahy (2019) and Ron Harper, Jr. (2018) all electing to stay home, keyed by the recruiting presence of Knight. who was named to The Athletic’s 40 Under 40 Rising Stars list in the 2020 offseason. Despite playing the among the toughest conference schedules in the Big Ten according to Ken Pom analysis the past five seasons, Rutgers has made significant strides with Knight on staff. In 2020-21, RU earned its first NCAA Tournament bid since 1991 and earned an opening round victory over Clemson that marked RU’s first NCAA Tournament since 1983. 

In 2019-20, the Scarlet Knights posted their first winning season in 14 years with a 20-11 record. It was the program’s first 20-win regular season in 37 years. The team had 18 regular season home wins, the most in the nation and a program record. The Scarlet Knights tied for fifth in the Big Ten Conference, the nation’s top-rated league per Ken Pomeroy, posting an 11-9 mark in league games. RU earned its most conference victories in 29 years. RU earned its first opening road bye in a conference tournament in 25 years, and were poised to secure its first NCAA Tournament berth since 1991.

The Scarlet Knights had four double-digit victories over ranked opponents, including a 20-point win over Seton Hall in the annual Garden State Hardwood Classic, RU largest margin of victory over a ranked foe in program history. During the season, Rutgers joined the national rankings for the first time in 41 years and were ranked or receiving votes for eight weeks. RU was recognized as the nation’s Most Improved Team in 2018-19 by Sports Illustrated. The Scarlet Knights improved 70 positions in the KenPom.com rankings, best among all Power conference programs. Rutgers earned seven league victories, its most in conference play in 13 years, while competing with a roster ranked 330th in experience.

The Scarlet Knights ranked among the top three in the Big Ten in eight statistical categories in 2017-18 and won two conference tournament games for the first time since 1998. In 2016-17, Rutgers more than doubled its overall win total, while tripling their conference victory total, en route to a plus-117 rank improvement in RPI. Knight arrived to Rutgers after an accomplished tenure at the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to being named assistant coach by Jamie Dixon in 2008, Knight served the 2007-08 and 2006-07 seasons as Director of Men’s Basketball Operations and Program Assistant/Video Coordinator, respectively. The Panthers compiled a 252-101 (.714) record and reached the postseason all 10 seasons with Knight on staff. Pitt won the 2008 Big East Championship, earned two NCAA Tournament No. 1 seeds (2009 & 2011) and captured the 2011 Big East regular season title.

Knight was instrumental in the development of All-America selection Sam Young, and all-league guards Levance Fields, Ashton Gibbs and Tray Woodall. A point guard from 1999-2003, Knight’s leadership was instrumental in Pitt’s basketball renaissance. He helped lead the Panthers to consecutive Big East regular season titles (2001-02 and 2002-03), two NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances (2002 and 2003), the program’s first Big East Tournament title (2003), three consecutive appearances in the Big East Tournament final (2001, 2002, and 2003) and an 89-40 (.690) four-year record. A 2003 Wooden All-American, 2002 Associated Press All-American and two-time All-Big East honoree, Knight concluded his career with 1,440 points, 785 assists, 492 rebounds and 298 steals. He earned the Big East’s co-Most Valuable Player and Most Improved Player awards in 2001-02. Knight still holds school records for career assists (785), career assist average (6.2), career steals (298), career 3-point field goal attempts (261), season minutes played (1,284 in 2001-02) and consecutive games played with at least one assist (91 from 2000-03).Knight’s No. 20 jersey was retired by the Panthers on March 4, 2009 and he was recognized as a member of the Pitt Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2020. 

Following his collegiate career, Knight played two seasons with the NBDL’s Asheville Altitude. He helped lead the Altitude to back-to-back league titles in both 2003-04 and 2004-05. In 2005, he signed a contract with the Houston Rockets, but suffered a knee injury. Knight spent the following two years in Pittsburgh rehabbing the injury. During that span, he became involved with coaching. He directed several AAU teams, including a squad that captured the Under-16 Pittsburgh Jamfest title in 2006. An East Orange native, Knight’s brother Brevin was a 12-year NBA veteran and a consensus All-America point guard at Stanford (1994-97). The Knights represent one of only eight brother combinations in NCAA Division I history to earn All-America honors. 

The son of Brenda and Melvin Knight, his father is a former Seton Hall assistant basketball coach (1978-82) and player (1968-71), who served as athletic director at Essex County College (N.J.) prior to his retirement. Knight graduated with a History degree from Pitt in June, 2005. He and wife Michelle are proud parents of two children, daughter Kylah and son Brandin Jr.

Rutgers 6-8 in Big 10. Pitt eat you know what. Really ? Let’s hire D. Porter again.

2/22/2024 7:24 pm  #35

I definitely have no argument against Dru Joyce in particular as Duquesne's next coach. However, if you take away the familiarity that he has with the possible returning players & the league, I would loudly vote against the hiring of another candidate with the same resume & level of experience.

If he is the next coach, I will root for him like crazy until he demonstrates a reason to do otherwise. My gut just tells me he is the wrong choice at this time.

I have read good things about Josh Schertz at Indiana St.

Last edited by phil95 (2/22/2024 7:24 pm)

2/22/2024 7:26 pm  #36

For the record, I thought Jim Ferry was a good hire & KD was damn near perfect. So, what do I know?

2/22/2024 7:34 pm  #37

BluffHunter wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Rumors are becoming louder and louder about retirement. But as mentioned it hasn’t been addressed by the media in any pressers

Very good incite and unless KD's team, (bye some miracle), wins the A-10, which he won't,  he should be retired. As far as Dru, it's anybodies guess.  Get him in here at 400,000, likely more than we should, and attach incentives to up his salary for performance. Or, form a committee, and start all over from square one. And then take 5 to 7 years to also find, we have an other dud. Give Dru a 2 year, and then see what he thinks he is doing, then extend the contract if it looks like he can coach up players. It's more than fair.  Most good coaches take the player on that team and make them better. This pass 7 years, I just don't see that. 5 games left, please prove me wrong.

2/22/2024 7:36 pm  #38

For the record, I thought Jim Ferry was a good hire & KD was damn near perfect. So, what do I know?

2/22/2024 7:38 pm  #39

BluffHunter wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

I hear you Bluff. My only guess. And this is only a guess.  as to why it has not been addressed is that there mat be a conditional option to extend in his contract. I am hoping that it is his ability to take the Dukes to the NCAA and he earns that extension. Go Dukes

2/22/2024 7:48 pm  #40

phil95 wrote:

Only at first, like you, did I think they looked great on paper. But just maybe the committee was not made up of former players and maybe some very good BB sports analysis. Next coach spend a few more dimes on the selection committee than dropping a million a year on someone that didn't coach at this level. 

2/22/2024 9:23 pm  #41

I bet they all know what is going on behind closed doors. The discussion distracts from the bigger purpose which is winning now and Dambrot announcing his retirement now is not something I could really see him doing because it would take away from the team and cause extra commotion. I don't think we will learn much until after the season. Hell, the worst kept secret in college basketball is Travis Ford getting fired and SLU is waiting until the end of the season to do that as well. 

2/22/2024 9:35 pm  #42

Ironduke81 wrote:

Rutgers 6-8 in Big 10. Pitt eat you know what. Really ? Let’s hire D. Porter again.

Right on, ironduke81. No friggin way.

Also, the thinking that Ferry was a good hire... The only reason that Ferry got hired here is because the Quinnipiac Clown fired Ron and didn't have a replacement coach lined up.  A goodly number of coaches (including Dambrot) turned down the Duquesne job; the search became a joke and Ferry turned into a desperation hire.  BTW - Ferry is 9-19 at UMBC this year.  At least he's consistent - his team ranks 348th in defensive efficiency.

2/22/2024 10:30 pm  #43

Ferry seemed like he was on the rise. He had just led LIU to 2 consecutive NCAA tournament bids at 43 years old by winning both the regular season & conference tournament titles. (RE never did that.) He was also coach of the year for the NEC in 2005 & 2011.

Who do you think was dying to be the DU coach after the dismissal of RE & the 5 guys before him?

Hindsight has 20/20 vision.

2/23/2024 7:13 am  #44

Ferry was not a good hire. Results count. I have no excuses for failure.

I remember sitting inside Dambrot office 5-6 years ago recounting  to him of watching a nationally broadcast Dukes that I watched from California.  I can't recall who the oppenent was, but late during the game, they cut to a full face shot of Ferry on his knee looking at was unfolding in front of him. I think the oppenents were at the free throw line. The Dukes were losing the game and things were getting out hand. 
What struck me was the total look of  total bewilderment and cluelessness on Ferry's face. Like he couldn't believe what was happening in front of him. I remember thinking how pathetic he looked and by extention how pathetic the Dukes looked. That look of total confusion on his face...reflected the Dukes eventual losing record.
I came away being totatly deflated and then angry ....what's the point?!!! Is this the best that the Dukes could do to...are you kidding me ??!!! 

Ferry was a reach at best...He was way over his head from day one.

Last edited by CalDuke (2/23/2024 7:18 am)

2/23/2024 8:05 am  #45

You missed the point on my posts. I had already posted that I was wrong about thinking Ferry was a good hire & KD was an almost perfect hire.

I merely pointed out why, at the time & under the circumstances, hiring Ferry seemed like a good thing.

2/23/2024 11:11 am  #46

You can name names until the cows come home, it comes down to money, other offers to that coach, and what the current team and staff do down the stretch.   I think KD is brought back on 1 yr deals until he is 100% done, and I dont think he reached that point yet.    But Harper and the AD staff better be keeping their fingers on the pulse of the coaching world.

2/23/2024 12:24 pm  #47

BluffHunter wrote:

I bet they all know what is going on behind closed doors. The discussion distracts from the bigger purpose which is winning now and Dambrot announcing his retirement now is not something I could really see him doing because it would take away from the team and cause extra commotion. I don't think we will learn much until after the season. Hell, the worst kept secret in college basketball is Travis Ford getting fired and SLU is waiting until the end of the season to do that as well. 

Ding, Ding, Ding!! We have a winner! After numerous replies and about a million words, the correct answer to the original question is "after the season". 

2/23/2024 12:55 pm  #48

An assumption that all of us should have made!!

2/25/2024 8:15 am  #49

Candidate #4 is Jerrod Calhoun at Youngstown State University. Coach Calhoun is a short drive from us and has been recruiting in the area for a couple of decades. He comes from the Bob Huggins coaching tree, and has experience recruiting at nearly every level, from D2 where he built one of the most successful programs at Fairmont State, to WVU, to YSU.

Coach Calhoun has also worked at two places with very little resources and still managed to win.  He has never had the opportunity to be a HC at a university committing funds to his program.  Hie has probably had to pick up the phone and ask an alumnus for the funds to buy a new shooting machine.  He may flourish in a program like ours where he actually has some resources.  Also, he will likely be able and willing to step outside of the practice gym and raise funds for the program and NIL.

He has won at every level and has proven he can recruit the portal!

According to public records Calhoun's salary is $300,000 plus bonuses, so he certainly should entertain this position at a salary below what we pay Dambrot.

He will probably be in the mix for the WVU job.

Read about coach Calhoun from the YSU site below:Jerrod Calhoun is now in his seventh season as Head Coach of the Youngstown State University men’s basketball program after being named to the position on March 27, 2017. Calhoun is the 13th head coach in program history.Calhoun, who owns an 11-year career record of 220-134, has 96 wins at Youngstown State and owns a 76-52 record over the last four seasons, has elevated the Penguins’ basketball program to unprecedented success. He is the first coach in program history to lead the Penguins to a regular-season conference championship after guiding the Penguins to an overall record of 24-10 and a 15-5 league mark en route to the Horizon League Championship. The 24 wins tied the program record for most wins in a season and the 15 Horizon League victories also set the record for most conference wins.For his efforts, he was named the 2023 Horizon League Men's Basketball Coach of the Year and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) District 12 Coach of the Year.He is the first coach in YSU’s Division I history to take the program to multiple postseason appearances in the 2023 National Invitation Tournament, the 2022 The Basketball Classic, and the 2020 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, which was canceled due to Covid-19.He has led the Penguins to four straight winning seasons for the first time in YSU's Division I era (since 1981-82) after posting a 24-10 mark in 2022-23. Over the last four years, the Penguins have won 76 games, which set a school mark for most victories in a four-year span, 2019-23.Calhoun has also guided nine All-Horizon League selections in six seasons, including five in the last two years. He became the first coach in 21 years to have multiple players earn all-conference laurels in the same season.The Penguins' 24 wins were the most victories since 1963-64, and YSU set the Division I record of most home wins with 14 and owned a home record of 14-3.Last season, senior Dwayne Cohill was named All-Horizon League First-Team, Horizon League All-Academic Team, College Sports Communicators Academic All-District First-Team, and NABC All-District 12 First-Team. He led the Penguins in scoring and assists with 18 points and 4.8 assists per game. He also became the first player in program history to score at least 600 points with 150 assists with 611 points and 164 assists in 2022-23.Adrian Nelson and Brandon Rush were named All-Horizon League Third Team and John Lovelace, Jr., was named to the Horizon League All-Freshman Team.YSU's 19 wins in 2021-22 were the most since 2000-01 and set a then-school record for most wins as members of the Horizon League. The Penguins also set a school record for most conference wins with 12.In 2021-22, Youngstown State tied the then-Division I record for most home wins with 13 and secured the program’s second postseason berth in three years with an appearance in the inaugural The Basketball Classic. The Penguins also won its second postseason game with a 70-65 victory over Morgan State.Fifth-year senior Michael Akuchie turned in a career-best year averaging 13.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game. Akuchie was named All-Horizon League Second-Team and ranked third in the league in rebounding, fourth with an .826 free-throw percentage, and 14th in scoring. Akuchie finished his career with 1,252 career points and 840 career rebounds.Cohill led the Penguins with 14.9 points per and a .835 free-throw percentage and was named to the All-Horizon League Third-Team. Cohill ranked third in the league in free-throw percentage and 10th in scoring. He scored in double figures 25 times and had eight games of 20-or-more points.   In 2020-21, Calhoun led the Penguins to its second straight winning season by posting a 15-12 overall record. It marked the first consecutive winnings season since the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons.The Penguins continued its strong play at home by winning 10 games at the Beeghly Center. YSU averaged 76.6 points and 13.1 assists per game at home. Since Feb. 7, 2019, the Penguins own a home court record of 27-9.Senior Naz Bohannon, a 2020-21 All-Horizon League Second-Team selection, led the Penguins with 16.5 points per game and second with 8.2 rebounds per game while shooting 52.6 percent from the field. He ranked fifth in the Horizon League in field-goal percentage, sixth in rebounding, eighth in scoring, and 15th with 3.2 assists per game. The Lorain, Ohio, native scored in double figures 20 times, had 10 20-point performances and five double-doubles. Bohannon became the 39th player in school history to score 1,000 career points and became the program's Division I all-time leading rebounder. He ranks 21st with 1,236 career points and fifth all-time with 990 career rebounds. He needs just 10 more rebounds to become the YSU player in the Division I era to record 1,000 career rebounds.Shemar Rathan-Mayes, who started 22 games, was named to the Horizon League All-Freshman Team and averaged 10.4 points and 3.5 assists per game and shot 82.4 percent from the free-throw line last season. He ranked third in the league in free-throw percentage and 11th in assists per game. He scored in double figures 15 times.Senior Garrett Covington became the 40th player to score 1,00th career points and ranks 26th all-time with 1,172 points. For the third consecutive season, Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team. He also turned in his best offensive season averaging 12.5 points per game and shooting 49.8 percent from the field. Covington scored in double figures 19 times and scored a career-high 30 points against Oakland on March 2, 2021.In 2019-20, Calhoun guided the Penguins to one the most historic seasons in the program's Division I history. YSU finished the season with an overall record of 18-15 and placed fourth in the Horizon League with a 10-8 league mark. The Penguins' 18 wins were the most since 2012-13 and ranked tied for the fourth most in YSU's Division I era. The 10 league wins tied a school record for most wins in Horizon League play. YSU's 17 regular season wins were the most since 2000-01 and the most since joining the Horizon League.Youngstown State went 13-3 at the Beeghly Center and set a Division I mark for most wins at home. The Penguins averaged 76.9 points and 14.6 assists per game at Beeghly Center.For just the second time in history the Penguins accepted a Division I postseason berth to the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the tournament was canceled.Darius Quisenberry was named to the NABC All-District 12 Second-Team and the All-Horizon League First-Team. He averaged 16.6 points, 3.6 rebounds 4.2 assists and 1.5 steals per game. He also ranked fifth in the Horizon League in scoring and assists per game, fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.5), sixth in field-goal percentage (.422), steals per game and free-throw percentage (.792), and 13th with 1.5 3-pointers made per game. He became the fourth YSU Division I player to score at least 40 points in a game and his career-high 41 points against Wright State on Feb. 20 rank as the sixth-highest single-game total. Quisenberry is the first player in school history to earn all-league honors in his first two seasons.Bohannon posted a career-best 11.2 points per game and averaged 8.6 rebounds per game, which ranked third in the Horizon League. He shot 51.7 percent from the field and averaged 12.9 points and 8.9 rebounds per game against Horizon League opponents. Bohannon's 284 rebounds were the third most in YSU's Division I history and the most since Jerome Sims had 327 in 1991-92. He also grabbed seven double-doubles on the year.For the second straight year, junior Garrett Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team. He is just the third YSU player to earn consecutive all-defensive team honors. He also averaged 8.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game in 2019-20.In 2018-19, Calhoun guided the Penguins to a four-win improvement from his inaugural season and posted the second-most wins in Horizon league play since joining the conference in 2001-02. The Penguins also set the school record for most 3-pointers made in a season with 303 and scored at least 2,000 points for the 10th straight season. The Penguins scored 2,415 points in 2018-19, which ranks fifth in program history.For the first time in 20 years, the Penguins won six straight games, which set a YSU record for consecutive wins in the Horizon League, from Jan. 31 to Feb. 16.Quisenberry became the first Youngstown State freshman to earn all-conference honors when he was selected to the All-Horizon League Second-Team. He was also named to the Horizon League All-Freshmen Team. Quisenberry led the Penguins with 13.8 points per game and had 120 assists. He became the first YSU freshman to score at least 400 points since 1978-79 and set the school record 3-point record with 51 made 3s.Bohannon reached a milestone by grabbing the 500th rebound of his career and finishing with 8.3 rebounds per game, which ranked second in the Horizon League. During the 2017-18 season, the Penguins set a school record with 266 steals, breaking the 27-year-old record of 255 set in 1990-91. Youngstown State also scored 2,410 points, which rank sixth on the single-season scoring list and is just the fifth time in school history a YSU team has scored more than 2,400 points in a season.Calhoun also guided the Penguins to their first 3-0 start in Horizon League play since the Penguins joined the league in 2001-02.Cameron Morse, who averaged 15.4 points per game, became just the second YSU player to earn All-Horizon League honors in three consecutive seasons after being named to the all-league second-team in 2017-18. Morse ended his career with 1,913 career points, which ranked sixth all-time, and tied the school record for career 3-pointers made with 232.Bohannon was named to the Horizon League All-Freshmen after averaging 7.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Bohannon's 259 rebounds were the most by a YSU player since Jerome Sims' 327 in 1991-92 and were the most by a YSU freshman since Jeff Covington's 311 in 1974-75.Prior to coming to Youngstown State, Calhoun, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, spent five seasons as the head coach at Fairmont State and accumulated an overall record of 124-38. He guided FSU to the NCAA Division II Tournament in each of his last three years and four times overall. The Falcons won at least 20 games in each of his five seasons and won nearly 80 percent of their conference games.The 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year, Calhoun directed the Fighting Falcons to an overall record of 34-3 and the program’s first national runner-up finish in 2016-17. Fairmont State won its first conference championship in 21 years with a mark of 21-1 and received its first NCAA Division II No. 1 ranking since 1976. The program also won 30-or-more games for the first time since 1974-75.Calhoun was a successful assistant coach at Walsh and most recently at West Virginia under Bob Huggins. He spent four years at WVU as the director of basketball operations before serving as an assistant coach in 2011-12.The Mountaineers went 19-14 during Calhoun’s last season there and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. During his five years in Morgantown, W.Va., the Mountaineers posted an overall record of 120-36 with five NCAA Tournament appearances, including the 2010 Final Four and the 2008 Sweet 16.At Walsh, the Cavaliers posted an 82-21 record during his three seasons in North Canton, Ohio. Walsh won the 2005 NAIA national championship while advancing to the Elite Eight in 2006 and the Sweet 16 in 2007.Calhoun, a 2004 graduate of the University of Cincinnati, began his coaching career at Cincinnati in 2003-04, where he served as a student assistant under Huggins. That year, the Bearcats were 25-7 overall and advanced to the second round of the 2004 NCAA Tournament.Calhoun played two years of college basketball at Cleveland State for Rollie Massimino and was a member of the Dean’s List as well as the Student-Athlete Advisory Board.

He earned four letters at Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School in Cleveland and averaged 19.0 points per game his senior year. He graduated as the school-record holder for free-throw percentage and was tabbed Lake County News Herald Player of the Year.Calhoun earned his bachelor’s degree from Cincinnati, majoring in criminal justice and minoring in communications.He is married to the former Sarah McKenna and has a son, Jordan, and three daughters, Kennedy, Kendall, and Quinn.

2/25/2024 9:50 am  #50

Better choice than Brandon Knight. Great  summary in regard to Calhoun as a potential candidate. Besides coaching under the Huggins tree he also played for Rollie at Cleveland State. Let’s just hope Youngstown State does not win the conference this year & go dancing. Good news WVU looking for a big name Coach. I would love this hire based upon his age,experience & success as a head coach. In Gormley & Dave I trust. Gormley more than Dave. Sorry 1 million $ contract with zero NIT & NCAA bid in the last 7 years not acceptable.

Board footera