Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2024 9:58 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Quick complaint incoming, Rose mauled Jimmy to start the half. Should have picked up his third, but refs swallowed whistle because it was Rose and led to a fastbreak layup. They are up for it now. We have to respond.

2/23/2024 10:03 pm  #27

I used to get really upset over this...but I'm working on the idea that if they are good enough, they will win.  If they aren't good enough to beat Fordham there, they will lose...and hope Dambrot and the Dukes don't implode as they have at the end of each season.  Sounds simple but has been difficult to do over the years.  Gotta let outside factors go regarding home-away/officials/etc.

If they can't beat Fordham away, they most likely won't win the A-10 tournament...yada - yada - yada.  Yes, they can come back but if they don't, I hope we move on to another coach at the end of this year.

Go Dukes - Don't Give Up - PLAY TO YOUR POTENTIAL!

2/23/2024 10:06 pm  #28

Pathetic. I wish I could say I’m surprised. 

2/23/2024 10:11 pm  #29

We are letting them bully us. Come on Dukes!

2/23/2024 10:13 pm  #30

Everytime you think this team might be turning it around they #### the bed. Put Savrasov and Hassan in the game. Nothing to lose down by 16.

2/23/2024 10:14 pm  #31

Had to turn it off.   Where are the guards?

2/23/2024 10:24 pm  #32

Cant believe I stayed up for this crap. This coach is clueless. 

2/23/2024 10:27 pm  #33

Ray’s back! Things must be going poorly.

2/23/2024 10:29 pm  #34

Dixon on the bench with his knee wrapped. I sure hope he’s alright.

2/23/2024 10:30 pm  #35

I’m kinda surprised and sad an elbow to the ribs ended Dixon’s night.  I guess it was to much to play with.   Dummies didnt know Rose buttered their bread?    Couldnt really win when he was on the bench was a bad sign.

Can this announcer coach, the guy who’s dad played at Duquesne?

Last edited by townsonkid (2/23/2024 10:33 pm)

2/23/2024 10:40 pm  #36

CityDuke wrote:

Ray’s back! Things must be going poorly.

When aren't they? 

2/23/2024 10:56 pm  #37

Fordham 0-6 at home in A10 until tonight. Now 1-6 at Home. That is all you need to know!!

2/23/2024 11:06 pm  #38

Knew it would be rowdy there.  They somehow have a student section.  We surely dont.   22-6 run, they got loud, we folded. 

Losing Dixon created a void on defense no one could fill.   I hope he is okay.  But looked bad limping around the huddles during TOs.

2/23/2024 11:10 pm  #39

National TV 🤮🤮Embarrassing. I am done. Dambrot can’t game coach. Calhouh at YST should be the next coach. Pathetic
This team has talent.

2/23/2024 11:13 pm  #40

Necas looks like he's grown an inch or two. He'll probably be a 7 footer when all said and done and playing at the next level. Sure hope he's around for the next coach.

2/23/2024 11:59 pm  #41

A few thought after attending this game.

1. The crowd was really into this one.
2. They played way more physical than us and pretty much bullied the team.
3. Their more physical style of play really disrupted our flow
4. They double teamed Grant on the parameter and it led to several turnovers
5. It was an off night for pretty much the entire team.  No one was really making consistently and we couldn’t do much inside
6. I was impressed by the teams calm demeanor and communication most of the game but frustrations got the best of the team after the half
7. We have the potential to be good when we are shooting well but we can’t let really physical teams dominate us like that
8. Our team has height but other teams have height and mass and they can push us around
9. We have to learn to deal with the switches better and not give up so many open looks
10. The team had a lot of heart and you can tell they really support each other out there

2/24/2024 4:57 am  #42

Well I'm back after a long drive that felt even longer after that 2nd half. This was the first game I saw in person this year, and I feel like it was a totally different team than I've been watching on TV. Credit Fordham for taking us out of the game.

I wish I could disagree with the obviously disappointed sentiment on the board, but I can't. Dambrot seems frustrated and was clearly outcoached tonight. Rose is a stud, but we have more talent than the Rams pretty much across the board. Games like this one show that sometimes it is about the Xs and Os and not just the Jimmies and Joes.

Their doubles and traps off our ball screens had the guards uncomfortable all game long and we never had an answer. It seemed every time they went to it the best result we got was a rushed shot. Clark has been great recently, but not having a true point guard on the floor really hurt tonight. Hopefully with time in between games we can find an answer so it doesn't become a blueprint against us.

Down the stretch when we desperately needed buckets, there didn't seem to be any offense. I know we needed points in bunches, but that doesn't mean they need to be 3s. There were far too many possessions down the stretch where 4 guys were standing around just waiting for the shot to go up. Every team needs a go to play they can run to get a good look when shots aren't falling. I don't feel like we have one, and isos don't count no matter how good a scorer Grant is. The big men have struggled to score pretty much all year long, but I feel like we had an advantage down low tonight. We didn't take advantage of it though, and down the stretch we didn't even try.

The defense wasn't as bad as the stats indicate in the 2nd half, but we need to do a much better job on the glass. It felt like the rebounding was pretty even off their misses, and in a close game that can definitely turn the tide. There weren't any real haymakers, but to fight for 30 seconds and force a miss only to see them still score time after time adds up.

I couldn't tell live at game speed what they were doing to get so many open looks, but Dambrot ended up yelling immediately after just about every timeout. I obviously couldn't hear the team huddles, but was close enough to hear the chatter on the bench. I lost track of how many times Coach turned to the bench after the first possession out of a timeout and said "I just told him not to do that" or something along those lines. To make matters worse it was in regards to multiple players at different times. Jimmy had an off night in just about every aspect, but he was far from the only one catching Dambrot's ire.

I didn't see what happened to Dixon, but don't think it was an elbow as someone else mentioned. He came out of halftime with his knee wrapped and a trainer was working on it with him. He did go right in, but came out shortly after and I don't think appeared after 15 or so minutes left. Mahorcic seems to be coming along healthwise, but we needed more than we got from him tonight. He looked good when he was in there, but I'd be surprised if it was much more than 10 minutes.

This game proves that fans make the atmosphere, not the arena. Rose Hill Gym has absolutely no bells and whistles, but it was a tough place to play. A flashy video board and loud music don't make for an intimidating atmosphere. You need fans who love their team and will give everything they've got to lend a hand. I don't know how long Fordham has had that, but they definitely do now. Even before they went on their run, it was consistently loud enough that you pretty much had to shout even to converse with the person next to you. That of course reached a different level early in the 2nd half. I wish our fans had even half the same passion (although I can't fault those here on the board).

I still think we have the talent to compete with anyone in the conference. Our backcourt is maybe the best in the league. Dixon is becoming a star if he can get his legs back, and Mahorcic is a 6'10 monster with as high a basketball IQ as you'll find. Drame stuffs the stat sheet, and DiMichele's youthful energy can light a spark. In a one game situation we can beat anyone we'll see. We can't seem to find our way out of the ruts we continue to fall into though. If that is the case, can we go four straight games without any? While I really hope it doesn't happen, I feel like the perfect synopsis of this team would be to beat Dayton in Brooklyn but then lose to LaSalle or someone like that.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/24/2024 4:59 am)

2/24/2024 7:22 am  #43

That was depressing to watch.  We were good at the free throw line is about the only compliment i can give the Dukes for this 1.  Hope they can put this behind them and compete the rest of the way.

2/24/2024 8:31 am  #44

Unfortunately this outcome isn’t surprising. The Dukes just don’t win big games. Dambrot’s mind set of this is what we do and we are not changing really echo’s that of Tomlin. We don’t adjust, I recall once again last year when we were in a good position going into the A-10 tournament. We played a LaSalle team that just two weeks earlier we beat on their court by 17 and get out played and out coached in the rematch. 

KD went for broke by stuffing the rooster with 5th year players and then never used them. IMHO we were far too dependent on guard based scoring which has changed slightly but to admit that a walk on guard is your hardest working player is an inditement of the staff. We do absolutely nothing to help Dae Dae get open for 3’s thus forcing him to many bad shots. I realize this is back a little but think back to what Duke would do to get JJ Redcick open. How many double screens have you seen? Or better how much movement have seen by our offense. 

Finally one last point is the rebounding, or lack there of. KD thinks we are a decent rebounding team. I beg to differ. Last night again we were pounded on the boards 41-28. We are last in the conference in % of offensive rebounds allowed this isn’t new this year. 

2/24/2024 8:36 am  #45

Thanks, CTS and luckymcd, for your in person game reports.  Looks like Fordham worked to create a tough, raucous game atmosphere in spite of having a team with a losing record.

The Dukes got completely exposed in the second half. We have seen glimpses of this in previous conference games - the Dukes guards have a tough time handling pressure (both forecourt and backcourt). Expect to see our remaining opponents press and double our guards aggressively.

The Dukes were punched in the face last night and could not respond. This is another disturbing pattern - the team appears to have swagger until adversity hits - then they tend to become timid and unassertive. Overall, they are showing that they are soft.

Time is quickly running out for this version of the Dukes.

2/24/2024 8:43 am  #46

Dome,
Out of everything I read here...including what I wrote (: I think your one sentence sums it up in that
Duquesne doesn't win big games.  They haven't under Dambrot.  This year's sellout to Dayton, they lost.  I could go on with a game or two or three from every year but won't.  And yes, he got outcoached tonight.  So for those fans, AD, and others who think we don't get it, we do.  We have stood by this team and will continue, but it's the same story.  Just look at the facts.  Coach Dambrot, thanks for improving our team, but you (and I'm going to go out on a limb here) never got us to an NCAA or NIT tournament in 7 years.

It's time to try for another coach and hope he can do it, because this one failed in that area.  Look at the attendance to be about 200 adults and 50 students at the next home game.

2/24/2024 9:30 am  #47

Not surprising we lost last night, although I was really hopeful,we would wiin this one.  
This was another exmple of us getting outcoached.  Three issues last night's coaching:

1. Our substitutions were terrible.  We go on a double digit run and then all of a sudden 3 of the guys who helped make the run come out.  This happens all the time and it kills us.  Dambrot does not run with groups who are hot and change the momentum.  

2. Fordham had a strategy for Grant and we did not adjust, We continued to dribble too much and not counterattack, or run anything on offense.

3. Fordham took advantage of Jake and Kareem in the post.  Jake was lost on defense and Fordham created mismatches, switches, and posted him up.  It was clear they were going after him and we did not counter by putting in someone with more size. They did the same against Kareem.  We actually subbed Jake for Kareem to get even smaller.  We have a very long team, and we should never be in a position where we are outsized.

On the positive, I am really becoming a fan of Necas.  Although he continues to shoot poorly from 3, he has a very high basketball IQ, has great height as mentioned last night, and he is big, He is also young, so he has a lot of upside.  

2/24/2024 11:16 am  #48

This was the second time we faced this team. They were well prepared and it didn't seem we were anticipating any of their potential adjustments, nor improved our own game plan from the previous meeting. It looked like we got out coached. And again, KD  subs in and breaks our runs. It's a shame because this was, of-course, a winnable game.  Well, let's win on Wed. and maybe surprise one of two on the road. The season isn't over. Go Dukes.

2/24/2024 1:35 pm  #49

I have a hard time watching that game and thinking we were outcoached. Urgo is nothing more than a cheerleader. I watched him hyping up the crowd more than talking to his players.  He gets his guys to play hard for him for sure but there were no tactical changes from him from the first half to the second. They continued to jump ball screens and our guards struggled. We did all the right things, our screener showed short to be available off the trap, but we were rattled by their physicality. We got bullied. We looked to the officials to blow the whistle the same way they had in the first half instead of matching Fordham’s physicality. That was the game.

Also, we got their best shot. I’ve watched Fordham several times this year. That was the best they’ve played all season. Charlton, a career 28% 3pt shooter went 3-3. Even Rivera, a 45% ft shooter was making them. Momentum in sports is a crazy thing, and it was just one of those nights for the Rams. I’m more concerned with our going into a shell when the going gets tough. We need to fix that and fast. This game had nothing to do with X’s and O’s. They just bullied us.

2/24/2024 1:54 pm  #50

We're always outcoached!  If you don't believe me, ask all the folks who don't attend the home games.  My seats are near the home bench, and from what I can tell, there is a bunch of coaching going on throughout the game, how effective it is, I don't know.  I'm no expert on the matter.

Board footera