Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2024 3:01 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Prince of Pilsner wrote:

We're always outcoached!  If you don't believe me, ask all the folks who don't attend the home games.  My seats are near the home bench, and from what I can tell, there is a bunch of coaching going on throughout the game, how effective it is, I don't know.  I'm no expert on the matter.

On message boards, the losing team is always outcoached.  For all 6 of the Dukes conference wins, the Dukes outcoached their opponent 

2/24/2024 3:04 pm  #52

Lost in the loss, Dae Dae continues to be a record setter at the FT line.  Crazy that 3 out of his 5 misses this year came in the first game of the season against Cleveland St.

"Senior guard Dae Dae Grant broke his own program record for consecutive free throws Friday against the Rams. Entering the contest having knocked down 36 straight at the line, Grant finished 10-for-10 to extend his current streak to 46. Grant broke a record that had stood for over 60 years during the non-conference portion of Duquesne's 2023-24 schedule, reaching 43 consecutive free throws in an 85-72 win at Marshall. In breaking his own record, Grant has converted 118 of his last 120 opportunities at the free-throw line, a success rate of 98.3 percent."

2/24/2024 3:24 pm  #53

Any idea what the records for season FT percentage at DU or the A-10?

2/24/2024 5:10 pm  #54

phil95 wrote:

You’re setting your sights too low. As best I can tell he’s 2nd in the country this year, but currently 4th all time (and if he makes his next he’d move to 3rd). He may have a chance at the all time record for consecutive makes in one season too. He’s at 46 with a guaranteed 5 games left. The all-time record is 73.

2/24/2024 6:05 pm  #55

CityDuke wrote:

I have a hard time watching that game and thinking we were outcoached. Urgo is nothing more than a cheerleader. I watched him hyping up the crowd more than talking to his players. He gets his guys to play hard for him for sure but there were no tactical changes from him from the first half to the second. They continued to jump ball screens and our guards struggled. We did all the right things, our screener showed short to be available off the trap, but we were rattled by their physicality. We got bullied. We looked to the officials to blow the whistle the same way they had in the first half instead of matching Fordham’s physicality. That was the game.

Also, we got their best shot. I’ve watched Fordham several times this year. That was the best they’ve played all season. Charlton, a career 28% 3pt shooter went 3-3. Even Rivera, a 45% ft shooter was making them. Momentum in sports is a crazy thing, and it was just one of those nights for the Rams. I’m more concerned with our going into a shell when the going gets tough. We need to fix that and fast. This game had nothing to do with X’s and O’s. They just bullied us.

Game prep before we even got on the floor and not being prepared for this team is being out-coached. Some folks think a lot of noise by the coaching staff from the bench during the game is good coaching, then explain games like this. Fordham had a game plan that the Dukes were not very ready for and this was a team that was 0-6 at home until this game? That's not good coaching.

2/24/2024 7:47 pm  #56

City please take this as a serious question and me not trying to be a smart ass. How does Fordham score 26 points in the first half and 53 in the second without some adjustments? 

2/24/2024 7:58 pm  #57

Do you mean all-time by season percentage for the NCAA?

luckymcd wrote:

phil95 wrote:

You’re setting your sights too low. As best I can tell he’s 2nd in the country this year, but currently 4th all time (and if he makes his next he’d move to 3rd). He may have a chance at the all time record for consecutive makes in one season too. He’s at 46 with a guaranteed 5 games left. The all-time record is 73.

2/24/2024 8:57 pm  #58

2/24/2024 10:40 pm  #59

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/ft-pct-player-season.html

Goes back to 92-93 season.

That was the first link I found too Phoenix. I can confirm Ahearn is the all-time leader. I think Raivio is 2nd all-time, but I haven’t been able to confirm that. Assuming I am correct, as of now 2 of the 4 best free throw shooting seasons of all time are ongoing.

2/24/2024 11:27 pm  #60

This year's current leader, DJ Davis from Butler, scored 11 points tonight in a loss to Seton Hall without taking any FTs. Davis has played 3-4 more games than Dae Dae with far less total attempts.

2/25/2024 12:16 am  #61

Pathetic

2/25/2024 1:02 am  #62

The Dome wrote:

City please take this as a serious question and me not trying to be a smart ass. How does Fordham score 26 points in the first half and 53 in the second without some adjustments? 

Rose no longer in foul trouble. Dixon unable to play, our key rim protector. A more lenient whistle from the officials. Us going into shells or playing as individuals when the going got tough. All these things led to a huge momentum shift that got Fordham feeling good about themselves. From there, the rim was 10 feet in diameter. What tactical adjustments did you see? Also me not trying to be a smart ass.

2/25/2024 8:01 am  #63

Ironduke81 wrote:

National TV 🤮🤮Embarrassing. I am done. Dambrot can’t game coach. Calhouh at YST should be the next coach. Pathetic
This team has talent.

Calhoun is another excellent candidate, and I will post about him shortly on the other thread mentioning my list of people to inverview

2/25/2024 8:09 am  #64

CityDuke wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Rose no longer in foul trouble. Dixon unable to play, our key rim protector. A more lenient whistle from the officials. Us going into shells or playing as individuals when the going got tough. All these things led to a huge momentum shift that got Fordham feeling good about themselves. From there, the rim was 10 feet in diameter. What tactical adjustments did you see? Also me not trying to be a smart ass.

Here's a question, why would you not go from a 3 guard offense to a 3 big/2guard offense when it was apparent we were getting pushed around. KD has too much size sitting on the bench that hardly get in? And I don't mean at the start of the game, but when we could have used some size because we were getting our butts kicked. Andrei, both Drames, Necas, Williams, Hronsky ? Even Dusan had just 10 minutes? Barre 8 minutes? Heck, why not adjust and try sometime else when the game isn't going to change with the present game plan? I can't imagine that KD doesn't play both Drames at the same time, I mean not once? It just might surprise the opponent to see this team switch it up. The Drame twins were on that St .Petes   team that got to the elite eight, I think they both know how to win, yet only one gets in there all season? 

2/25/2024 8:57 am  #65

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Here's a question, why would you not go from a 3 guard offense to a 3 big/2guard offense when it was apparent we were getting pushed around. KD has too much size sitting on the bench that hardly get in? And I don't mean at the start of the game, but when we could have used some size because we were getting our butts kicked. Andrei, both Drames, Necas, Williams, Hronsky ? Even Dusan had just 10 minutes? Barre 8 minutes? Heck, why not adjust and try sometime else when the game isn't going to change with the present game plan? I can't imagine that KD doesn't play both Drames at the same time, I mean not once? It just might surprise the opponent to see this team switch it up. The Drame twins were on that St .Petes   team that got to the elite eight, I think they both know how to win, yet only one gets in there all season? 

What this staff is doing to the Drame twin who sits the bench and especially Savrasov is so bad.  Savrasov was the first 5th year talked into coming in here and he was promised a role and minutes he is not getting.  There is absolutely no way our record would be worse than it is if Andre was playing 20+ minutes in every game and just left alone to do what he did previously without being at and yelled and yanked after the slightest mistake.  If Andre is upset who can blame him.  He was lied to and has wasted his last year of eligibility.  This is very unfortunate for him and for us fans, as he could be helping us if he was being treated like the adult he is.  

2/25/2024 12:02 pm  #66

I think lately Savrasov has given us decent minutes when he’s gotten opportunities lately. Not trying to pry into your personal life Lakers, but where are you getting this inside information? Say what you will about Dambrot, but I don’t see an old-school coach like him as the type of guy to promise anybody minutes.

Last edited by CityDuke (2/25/2024 12:11 pm)

2/25/2024 5:14 pm  #67

City, not everything revolves around X’s & O’s.  What coach put his team in a better position to win?  I think that’s undeniable. I have put forth my position on the horrible substitution patterns, the lack of plays for Dae Dae the horrible offense. Good coaches put their players in the best position to win. The all out man to man defense KD demands gives no quarter to either Clark or Dae Dae. I would rather expend as much energy on offense as defense. where do Clark and Dae Dae pick up most of their fouls?  

When Fordham made their run to open the second half what were we saving timeouts for. Waiting for the TV timeout is a fatal flaw. Most runs seem to put KD in a stupor, this wasn’t the first we have seen. I really hate to point out individual deficiencies but Rozier is an absolute failure as a PG and truly warrants no time. Look at the stats. His turnover rate is higher than his assist rate, scoring is non existent and due to size his defensive problems are obvious. And finally I will repeat a past comment DiMichele starting for whatever reason KD wants to come up with is a failure. 

2/25/2024 5:25 pm  #68

The Dome wrote:

City, not everything revolves around X’s & O’s.  What coach put his team in a better position to win?  I think that’s undeniable. I have put forth my position on the horrible substitution patterns, the lack of plays for Dae Dae the horrible offense. Good coaches put their players in the best position to win. The all out man to man defense KD demands gives no quarter to either Clark or Dae Dae. I would rather expend as much energy on offense as defense. where do Clark and Dae Dae pick up most of their fouls?  

When Fordham made their run to open the second half what were we saving timeouts for. Waiting for the TV timeout is a fatal flaw. Most runs seem to put KD in a stupor, this wasn’t the first we have seen. I really hate to point out individual deficiencies but Rozier is an absolute failure as a PG and truly warrants no time. Look at the stats. His turnover rate is higher than his assist rate, scoring is non existent and due to size his defensive problems are obvious. And finally I will repeat a past comment DiMichele starting for whatever reason KD wants to come up with is a failure. 

Dome, I agree coaching is more than x’s and o’s, but I was asking what adjustments Urgo made that him outcoach Dambrot. I will say however, we did call a timeout during that stretch and we switched to a zone as well. Neither put out the fire. The adjustments were certainly attempted, but maybe he could have called another timeout.  The Rozier criticism is valid as he has seemed to have lost confidence as of late. But you don’t think Dimichele deserves to start? That was certainly his worst performance of the season, but I would argue he has been our most consistent and stable player.

2/25/2024 5:58 pm  #69

I really like Jake but have wanted to suggest him playing less for a few games now. Other teams have figured out that Jake is really challenged by longer, taller SFs with mobility. The problem, for me, is that I don't have a better suggestion. Who's a better ballhandler/play maker/scorer/energy guy on the wing?

Maybe that should have been Savrason or Hassan for 8 minutes a game 10 games ago?

In general, Jake has been a godsend & I don't know where the team would be without him. Also, it is too late in the season to mess with starting lineup any more.

I do want Drame to play more.

2/25/2024 7:49 pm  #70

phil95 wrote:

I really like Jake but have wanted to suggest him playing less for a few games now. Other teams have figured out that Jake is really challenged by longer, taller SFs with mobility. The problem, for me, is that I don't have a better suggestion. Who's a better ballhandler/play maker/scorer/energy guy on the wing?

Maybe that should have been Savrason or Hassan for 8 minutes a game 10 games ago?

In general, Jake has been a godsend & I don't know where the team would be without him. Also, it is too late in the season to mess with starting lineup any more.
Both Drame should come in together. If KD really knew anything, just the chance of those two coming in together  would make both of them go over the top. Good coaches would have put them in at the start of the season together to see what can happen. This coach, not.
I do want Drame to play more.

2/25/2024 8:33 pm  #71

I enjoy discussing these ideas but I don't really think I have the answers.

2/25/2024 9:14 pm  #72

No one has the answers… Dambrot doesn’t have all the answers. I just keep going back the last 7 years with all of the information all of you have posted regarding Ranked teams away we don’t beat, our away record, no tournaments, etc.

To me if we take out all emotion and focus on numbers and results, the facts really do speak for themselves.

2/26/2024 7:43 am  #73

City, my point is he didn’t need to make big time adjustments he got his kids to play harder and smarter. I’m sorry I have watched a ton of games and other than a possession or two I don’t see the Dukes playing zone. Maybe we aren’t switching as much but I don’t see a zone. DiMichele is a defensive liability who makes up for his deficiencies by playing hard. Necas, Savrasov and Drame all would have been better solutions. 

How many teams do you see who substitute within the first 4 minutes of a game????
That has been a staple of KD since he got here. It is ridiculous. 
So you start guys just to say you started them and then they disappear. 

Last edited by The Dome (2/26/2024 7:45 am)

2/26/2024 8:22 am  #74

We played maybe 2-3 possessions of zone during that second half run. But I could not disagree more with you on Dimichele. Since he has gotten more significant minutes, our defense has been lights out. Good for top 3 in the league in most analytics. Also, the kid had 9 rebounds in 2 of the last 3 games. He deserves every minute he gets, in my opinion.

2/26/2024 3:16 pm  #75

FAM wrote:

No one has the answers… Dambrot doesn’t have all the answers. I just keep going back the last 7 years with all of the information all of you have posted regarding Ranked teams away we don’t beat, our away record, no tournaments, etc.

To me if we take out all emotion and focus on numbers and results, the facts really do speak for themselves.

Stats are a fairly accurate representation of what has transpired in games. The more games considered, the more accurate the stats will invariably be.

Board footera