Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2024 10:41 am  #1

Time to prepare for the future.

Dambrots time at Duquesne should come to an end after this year by retirement or dismissal. Why ?
Facts:
1. Only one non conference road win in 7 years
2. His .444 winning percentage in A10 52-65.
3. Record of 1-5 in A10 tournament play.
4. The highest ranked opponent he has beaten was a 63rd ranked team in 7 years.
5. During his tenure at Duquesne, he has had more players transfer out than any other A10 team by a wide margin.
6. He has been given more resources than any Duquesne coach in the history of the school.
7. His record in A10 play has occurred at the weakest time of the conference.
8. His non conference schedule has been the easiest in Duquesne history, with terrible opponents and most of the games at home.
Opinion:
1. Recruiting has been average
2. Player retention, below average
3. Game preparation average at best
4. In game coaching below average
5. I feel like he never really accepted Pittsburgh and Duquesne as his new home. Always the references to Akron and even playing a game there, which I don’t understand to this day.
6. I personally don’t like how he handles his players. I always felt it started with Mike Lewis, who I felt was an ambassador for Duquesne and has continued yearly with various players.
7. The staffs lack of attracting local talent or high schoolers that have a DU connection, example Suder , Alston and Therio’s sons.

My three top coaches I think we have a shot at are
Will Wade. Presently the first year head coach at McNeese State with a 23-3 record and road wins this year at Michigan, UAB and VCU.  His three losses are by 2, 3, and 9 all on the road. Has proven he can win in the A10. May have to watch him closely as he got in trouble either NCAA. But so did Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl.
My second choice would be Chris Mack the former Louisville and Xavier coach. His record speaks for itself.
My third choice would be Mitch Henderson, I suggested him prior to Dambrots hiring. He would make a lot more money at DU but Princeton is his Alma mater. He can flat out coach and recruit.

2/24/2024 11:33 am  #2

Re: Time to prepare for the future.

Mitch Henerson would be a home run. A winner in every sense of the word and he can flat out coach.  He has experience recruiting high character players and he has built a fantastic culture.  Additionally, he is not scared half to death to play tougher opponents. Lukewarm on Wade due to past allegations.  Mack allegedly is a hard ass like Dambrot and word on the street is that players hate him.  We need a sizeable shift in character, culture and roster stability and a coach like Mitch Henderson fits the bill perfectly.  Mitch Henderson is my Candidate #3!

2/24/2024 11:36 am  #3

Where did Alston's kid go to school?

2/24/2024 11:46 am  #4

WashPaRick wrote:

Where did Alston's kid go to school?

Boise St, was very successful.

2/24/2024 12:58 pm  #5

I’m not thrilled with Mack.  He struggled at Louisville in the wake of Pitino, and had everything at his fingertips. 
Why would Henderson leave Princeton for Duquesne?  He has a ranked program in a league he can compete to win every year.  He can recruit the kind of players who fit that system.  Good athletes, who are fundamentally sound, and smart. 
With that said, I think Duquesne should look for a Coach who can coach a system that recruits the type of player who fits that system.  Face facts that we aren’t getting 5,4, or even 3-star players, so recruiting to a system allows you to find those guys who might not jump out as the most talented D-1 players, but can thrive in your system. 
Will Wade is a pipe dream.  He re-entered coaching at a low level but like other lawless coaches like Pearl, Sean Miller and Kelvin Sampson he’ll soon be back at a P-5 program!

2/24/2024 1:28 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

I’m not thrilled with Mack.  He struggled at Louisville in the wake of Pitino, and had everything at his fingertips. 
Why would Henderson leave Princeton for Duquesne?  He has a ranked program in a league he can compete to win every year.  He can recruit the kind of players who fit that system.  Good athletes, who are fundamentally sound, and smart. 
With that said, I think Duquesne should look for a Coach who can coach a system that recruits the type of player who fits that system.  Face facts that we aren’t getting 5,4, or even 3-star players, so recruiting to a system allows you to find those guys who might not jump out as the most talented D-1 players, but can thrive in your system. 
Will Wade is a pipe dream.  He re-entered coaching at a low level but like other lawless coaches like Pearl, Sean Miller and Kelvin Sampson he’ll soon be back at a P-5 program!

You poked holes in my suggestions, which is fine, but who are your perspective list of possible candidates ? By the way as far as Will Wade being a pipe dream, how about, Martin for UMass came from South Carolina and Kansas State. Ford from Oklahoma State to St Louis, Grant from Alabama to Dayton and Miller from Indiana to Rhode Island. All power 5 conference schools to the A10. Not too much of a pipe dream in my book, Going from McNeese St to Duquesne. It’s called climbing back up the ladder.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (2/25/2024 7:51 am)

2/24/2024 1:37 pm  #7

Wildwood,
Excellent.  I would hope that folks on this board would start emailing Harper         harperd1@duq.edu
with their thoughts.  It makes a difference.  It did with Ferry - and I believe under Dambrot, more folks have given money than they have in a while.  I want to say again, I like Dambrot, appreciate what he has improved, and has given more life in Duquesne Basketball.  However, he was in above his head...no NIT and no NCAA.  It should be a "little easier" now to get a new coach here.

2/24/2024 2:14 pm  #8

After the money spent on the facilities/salaries, KD's run of respectable teams, & the university's demonstration of patience by giving Dambrot 7 years; the pool of high quality, interested candidates has to be considerably deeper than the last 3 hiring cycles. Doesn't it just have to be?

2/24/2024 2:57 pm  #9

phil95 wrote:

After the money spent on the facilities/salaries, KD's run of respectable teams, & the university's demonstration of patience by giving Dambrot 7 years; the pool of high quality, interested candidates has to be considerably deeper than the last 3 hiring cycles. Doesn't it just have to be?

phil95, you would think so.  This appears to be a fairly attractive job; the elephants in the room to me are the nearly 50 year futility, the lack of student support and the likelihood that the A10 will continue to struggle to become a multi bid league.

Wildwood13, thanks for laying out the facts and opinion. The body of work certainly did not meet the stated goals of the University.  The program is on much better footing than it was 7 years ago, but frankly it is about in the same position as it was in 2012, Ron's last year.

When I read it, I questioned the point that you made regarding the non-conference schedule. I agreed with Dambrot having most of the games at home, but I wasn't sure it was the easiest.  For all practical purposes, you were correct.  Per Ken Pom:
- Porter - 184th toughest non-conf schedule - 3 year average
- Everhart - 187th toughest non-conf schedule - 6 year average
- Nee - 191st toughest non-conf schedule - 5 year average
- Dambrot - 274th toughest non-conf schedule - 7 year average
- Ferry - 310th toughest non-conf schedule - 5 year average

2/24/2024 4:02 pm  #10

Don’t forget we were without a home court for 2+ seasons. All those non-con games were road games! Haha.

2/24/2024 6:46 pm  #11

I thought a quick check on that last post was worthwhile. 2+ seasons seemed wrong to me.

The Dukes played their last game at Palumbo on 3/6/20 the last scheduled regular season game of that season. The A-10 Tournament was canceled 2 days later ending everyone's season.

The Dukes played 5 home games elsewhere in the 20-21 season. Their first game at The Coop was on 2/2/21. There were 2 more at The Coop that season.

Am I wrong about this?

2/24/2024 8:35 pm  #12

phil95 wrote:

I thought a quick check on that last post was worthwhile. 2+ seasons seemed wrong to me.

The Dukes played their last game at Palumbo on 3/6/20 the last scheduled regular season game of that season. The A-10 Tournament was canceled 2 days later ending everyone's season.

The Dukes played 5 home games elsewhere in the 20-21 season. Their first game at The Coop was on 2/2/21. There were 2 more at The Coop that season.

Am I wrong about this?

phil95, the last home game at Palumbo was played on 3/9/19; the first game at the Coop was on 2/2/21 in front of no fans (they also had another game at the Coop later that month). The best team in the Dambrot era (2020) did not have a home court.

2/24/2024 9:21 pm  #13

That seems right but the DU website  clearly shows the Dukes losing to Richmond at Palumbo on 3/6/20.
https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2019-20

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Am I wrong about this?

phil95, the last home game at Palumbo was played on 3/9/19; the first game at the Coop was on 2/2/21 in front of no fans (they also had another game at the Coop later that month). The best team in the Dambrot era (2020) did not have a home court.

2/24/2024 10:33 pm  #14

phil95 wrote:

That seems right but the DU website  clearly shows the Dukes losing to Richmond at Palumbo on 3/6/20.

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Am I wrong about this?

phil95, that game was definitely at PPG. I remember being there, watching Richmond methodically take the Dukes apart. I had thoughts in my mind that Richmond would be a good team to pencil in on my NCAA bracket for a win or two. Also, if you check the recap of that game, it says that the game was played at PPG (box score location is wrong).

2/24/2024 10:36 pm  #15

phil95 wrote:

And if you look a couple weeks earlier according to the same site we had over 7,000 in the  Palumbo center against Dayton. Why would we expect our own website to have accurate information on our home courts?

2/24/2024 10:52 pm  #16

phil95 wrote:

If the Dambrot hire did one thing, it got us out of that "Coach's Graveyard" image that we have been since they stupidly dumped John Carroll.  Dambrot took them out of the "Maybe we can  win 15 games this year" to being a solid middle of the pack A 10 team, above .500 every year but one if I recall.  We are no longer radioactive to a coach on the rise, and I guess that is something.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/24/2024 11:12 pm  #17

hard to prepare when there is coaching uncertainty and the portal.   Just gotta hope for the best and some luck.  
would love to keep dixon, barre, necas, demichele, rozier, hronsky, wish we could have seen a bit more of Nichols, just to see what is there.   Gonna need scorers and ball handlers.   
curious to see how a new coach would handle the roster, go portal shopping or build with freshman.   

2/24/2024 11:20 pm  #18

Classic DU athletic department incompetence. Heaven forbid fans have an easy time tracking the team's results.

luckymcd wrote:

phil95 wrote:

And if you look a couple weeks earlier according to the same site we had over 7,000 in the  Palumbo center against Dayton. Why would we expect our own website to have accurate information on our home courts?

2/25/2024 3:35 pm  #19

phil95 wrote:

Classic DU athletic department incompetence. Heaven forbid fans have an easy time tracking the team's results.

luckymcd wrote:

phil95 wrote:

That seems right but the DU website clearly shows the Dukes losing to Richmond at Palumbo on 3/6/20.

And if you look a couple weeks earlier according to the same site we had over 7,000 in the Palumbo center against Dayton. Why would we expect our own website to have accurate information on our home courts?

You know, I just looked at that link and two things strike me. One is we won most of those games? It didn't seem to hurt us, maybe just the opposite. Second some of those games were at the PPG arena. That was also our home court at the time since it was built. But we still lost on the road, at about the same rate every season. I might point out one more thing here. This season, with so much experienced talent coming in and KD's regulars here in place, did we get too many players for too few minutes? You can't keep everyone happy you know. Any thought on, less would have been more?

2/25/2024 5:18 pm  #20

Wildwood I agree with much of what you have said except I have to push back on Will Wade. IMHO his actions while coach at LSU would have warranted him coaching high school before he got another chance. 

2/26/2024 8:18 pm  #21

As far as the future, I'm looking at the next four games.  My best scenario has the Dukes 2 and 2.

2/27/2024 9:08 am  #22

KD knew he wasn't wanted by some at Akron. He disagreed with the criticism there that he lost the ambition to win. And I think he wanted to win here more than he did. Furthermore there hasn't been any scandal here. Only one player staying from start to finish isn't a good look but hardly a scandal. Whenever he leaves, the program will be in better shape than he found it.

2/27/2024 9:36 am  #23

DUMgr wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Akron only gave this ******** 

Totally uncalled for!. Disappointed in you, NapaDuke.

My apology. I cleaned up my post. 

2/27/2024 10:01 am  #24

NapaDuke wrote:

DUMgr wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Akron only gave this ******** 

Totally uncalled for!. Disappointed in you, NapaDuke.

My apology. I cleaned up my post. 

I did not see the original post as I do not spend much time here on this Board anymore.  The season has been disappointing but the constant hijacking of threads to go on rants about Ron and KD has become intolerable and unnecessary.  My guess is that there is a 0% chance KD will get a contract extension unless he goes on a run and gets this team to the NCAA.  If that is the case God bless him he will deserve it, if not let's wish him well and move on.  Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.   

2/27/2024 12:01 pm  #25

Really good conversation!  I agree re: too many non conference games at home - that has not benefited us at all as we go into the A10 with difficulty on the road.  And I agree that a coach from outside would be preferable should KD retire. 

Board footera