Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2013 11:15 am  #1

Texas Pan American

Excited for hoops to start up again, and looking forward next month (weather permitting) to see the Dukes visit NJIT. UTPA, which has only won one home game so far, will provide a more fromidable opponent than UMass Lowell, but I still see this as a winnable game. 

UTPA presents even less height than a typical Duquesne team. The tallest players are 6-7 and on the thin side. That said, UTPA has three players who could give the Dukes fits:

Javorn Farrell is a 6-5 swingman (that in-beween size that we always have trouble defending) who leads the team in scoring (16.7 pg), and is among the leaders in rebounding (5.1 pg) and blocked shots (9). We'll need the Jones gang to body up on him and keep him from getting into the paint. Farrell likes to shoot the three, and I say let him try to beat us from there. It will keep him from hurting us other ways. Just don't let him get hot out there.

Shaquille Boga, a 5'11 guard, appears to be a quick player who will have a height advantage (won't he be surprised?) against our Smurf backcourt. Boga scores 11.7 pg and has 25 steals and 41 assists so far.

Josh Cleveland, at 6-6 and 225, is the bulkiest player on UTPA. We don't have a lot of muscle in the paint, unless there is a Festivus miracle and the airing of our grievances against the NCAA have been heard and Jordan Robinson is cleared. Cleveland is good for amost 5 points and rebounds per game but could go off on us if he is able to muscle his way around.

After that, they have Shaquille Hines, a 6-7 forward who scores almost 10 pg and pulls down almost 6 rebounds pg.

Dan Hipsher, who has been a long-time assistant at Dayton, coach at Akron, and most recently an associate head coach at Alabama, is the UTPA coach.

For Duquesne to win, we need Soko to stay out of foul trouble, Micah Mason to have a hot hand, and my new favorite Duke Dominique "Oak" McKoy continue to do all of the little things that help the team win. A big scoring night by Tra-vaughn White would also be a bonus.

Let's play strong and get over the .500 mark Go Dukes! 

12/26/2013 8:32 pm  #2

Re: Texas Pan American

Gitter done.

12/27/2013 8:21 am  #3

Rick, that's it? Man, I was looking forward to your spot-on scouting report. 

On second thought, maybe that IS your scouting report ... pithy, powerful and hopefully prophetic.

Happy New Year friend!

12/27/2013 9:23 am  #4

12/27/2013 10:23 am  #5

Looks like you had the scouting pretty well covered El Duque but I have one thing to add about Hipsher. He brought his Akron team into the Palumbo and beat us in a couple of overtimes and his players were flopping all over the court from the opening tap. They had a chubby white guard ( who I told my friend he would never get off the bench) score 30 plus many attributed to his fiopping skills. So my scouting tidbit would be defend the flop but I'm not sure that's possible.

Last edited by WashPaRick (12/27/2013 10:24 am)

12/27/2013 10:39 am  #6

One other memory from that Akron game. We had a forward named Davis on that team. Can't recall the first name. He blew a 2 footer. I turned to the guy next to me and said he missed that 2 footer by 2 feet. He nodded his head in agreement. Next time Davis got in the game he ran past the guy next to me and spoke to him. Turned out to be his dad. For the rest of the game I applauded everything Davis did even if it was just making it down the court without tripping.

12/27/2013 11:10 am  #7

With the new rules, if he's still Fosbury Hipscher we could be in for a long afternoon.

12/28/2013 10:35 am  #8

WashPaRick wrote:

One other memory from that Akron game. We had a forward named Davis on that team. Can't recall the first name. He blew a 2 footer. I turned to the guy next to me and said he missed that 2 footer by 2 feet. He nodded his head in agreement. Next time Davis got in the game he ran past the guy next to me and spoke to him. Turned out to be his dad. For the rest of the game I applauded everything Davis did even if it was just making it down the court without tripping.

WashPaRick, here's the box score from that game to assist in your trip down (your really good) memory lane.
http://www.bbstate.com/games/1998-11-28/AKR-DUQ

12/28/2013 11:05 am  #9

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

WashPaRick, here's the box score from that game to assist in your trip down (your really good) memory lane.
http://www.bbstate.com/games/1998-11-28/AKR-DUQ

Wow! What a blast from the past. Three players did everything. Nothing from the rest of the team.

12/28/2013 11:39 am  #10

Forgot how good Kevin Shand was. Too bad there was a rift between him and Porter (apologies, I no longer recall who was right or wrong in the situation so I will simply call it a rift); he could have helped a little.

12/28/2013 11:39 am  #11

15 for 15 from the line a lot resulting from flops, He made Mike Talley look like a piker at flopping. My memory had a couple ot's and I also thought the score was in the 100's. Maybe another Akron game?

12/29/2013 9:19 am  #12

WashPaRick wrote:

15 for 15 from the line a lot resulting from flops, He made Mike Talley look like a piker at flopping. My memory had a couple ot's and I also thought the score was in the 100's. Maybe another Akron game?

I remember this guy, Jami Bosley. He started his career at TheOSU, got tossed from the team and ended up in Akron.  Here's a short video clip of a game winning basket vs. BGSU.  You would never have picked this guy out of a lineup to be a really good basketball player, which he was.

http://youtu.be/zIZDeXbNCHU

12/29/2013 9:56 am  #13

I was there, too. I remember every time Bosley touched the ball, the guy in front of me would start yelling, "Get Shorty! Get Shorty!" We heard that all night. My boys were small were they still haven't forgotten that game & the guy in front of us.

12/29/2013 9:58 am  #14

WashPaRick wrote:

I always watch what I say in the stands coz I never know who's there. Many, many times I've sat next to one of the players' dads. To a man, each of these dads assured me that their son was going to the NBA, & none of these players even came close.

12/29/2013 5:05 pm  #15

Nice win on the road.  Micah with 4 treys.  The Dukes played well with ehe bench playing a big role.  Soko had a big game but has to learn not to mouth off to the refs. My only other comment is the Dukes really struggle  defensively when Colter and White are in the game together.  Texas PA made their run to cut it to 9 with them in together.  Neither one can play defense to save themselves.  Good to see Watkins get some extended play.  Let's keep it going.

12/29/2013 5:12 pm  #16

3 game winning streak.  All on road!

12/29/2013 5:57 pm  #17

Today was one of the first times I was actually uninterested in watching the game.  The bottom line is that I don't really care about our performance until we actually start A10 play.  This team didn't seem very good to me so it was difficult to get up for it.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/29/2013 6:51 pm  #18

Good win, but it still bothers me how Colter continues to launch threes when he can't hit them. Mason shoots 80% from 3-point land today and Colter, who continues his pattern of launching a three before anyone else on the Dukes can touch the ball, ends up taking more shots.

Sorry, I guess he's Ferry's guy, but he isn't that good and my fear is that he's going to kill this team.

12/29/2013 7:18 pm  #19

For some reason Ferry keeps sticking with Colter.  He hurts us more than he helps.  He shouldn't start but Ferry is in like with him.

12/29/2013 7:54 pm  #20

Checked out the Box Score -  Colter did have 8 assists and 1 Turnover - so things were not ALL bad.
As posted before just glad to get ANY win at this point.

12/29/2013 8:02 pm  #21

Box Score below.  Colter 1 of 6 beyond the arc and 3 of 10 overall, but did have 8 assists and only 1 turnover.  The Dukes have won 3 in a row on the road.  Granted against very weak competition, but outside of the 1st half of the Frankies game they have been playing at a higher level than they had been.  The return of Micah in my opinion has been the key to their better play.  In the last two games he is 8 of 11 from beyond the arc. 

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122913aac.html

Last edited by CLK (12/29/2013 8:11 pm)

12/29/2013 9:04 pm  #22

On Colter, I was more or less agnostic concerning his play at the point last year since many times he was the only option, BUT, today when Ferry wanted to shorten the game ole DC started jacking threes in traffic with time left on the clock rather than pass to the open man. Hey, Mason and McKoy have great shooting percentages and Jay Johnson can penetrate without getting snuffed inside, but DC decides to shoot off balanced treys.

Wining three on the road is still impressive and is teaching these new comers how to travel and live on the road.

Also a loss to these teams would have been a real crusher.

6-5 , I will take it.

Funny how these small programs have better streaming of games than at A.J., but Ray Goss play by play is so much better.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera