Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2024 11:34 am  #51

Re: When Will the Question of Coach's Status Be Addressed

Not that this alone is a good or bad thing, but I assume he’s related to Jim?

2/25/2024 11:45 am  #52

Please Dave Harper no to Dru Joyce.Does not have the resume in coaching to warrant him being the next basketball coach. This season has been so dissappointing and some of it was due to Dukes not handling pressure something Dru should have been able to  provide help with.
 I dont know much about NorthernKentucky U,but they always have good teams

3/01/2024 8:36 am  #53

3/01/2024 9:41 am  #54

I would be most sorry to see the HC position go to Dru Joyce without so much as a valid search for a qualified replacement. Really can't imagine that I'm alone in that thinking. Isn't the program worth a hard look at what qualified candidates might be available. Whoever is hired, assuming KD retires, will be around for at least 4 or 5 years no matter what so let's try to get it right this time. I will never accept that DU basketball can't be among the best programs in the A-10 and the eastern part of the country.  If this is not the case, please someone set me straight and tell me why not. 
As for changing conferences, I don't believe in running away from a challenge. Let's kick some ass in the A-10!!
GO DUKES!!!

3/01/2024 10:39 am  #55

What if his best friend Mr. James has promised  the AD 1 or 2 million $$ to use for NIL If Coach Joyce is the next head coach. No longer about the x & Os if you can buy top flight Jimmy’s & Joes. Just a thought 🤔🤔🤔

3/01/2024 11:22 am  #56

Ironduke81 wrote:

What if his best friend Mr. James has promised the AD 1 or 2 million $$ to use for NIL If Coach Joyce is the next head coach. No longer about the x & Os if you can buy top flight Jimmy’s & Joes. Just a thought 🤔🤔🤔

Ironduke81,
A most interesting thought!

3/01/2024 11:45 am  #57

I was thinking how much college basketball has changed just in the last several years.  It has always been somewhat of a business but was governed as an amateur sport.  Some schools used to "cheat" to gain advantages, but the rules were designed to protect armature status and treat players first as students who were athletes.  Judicial rulings that were previously only applied to business labor relationships have been applied to college athletics and forever changed CBB. 
Players are no longer student athletes but are one year contract employees free to work each year for the highest bidder of their services.   Coaches are really managers with budgets and performance objectives.  The AD’s are the CFO responsible for fund raising and managing return on investment.  The stockholders are the NIL Fund doners and advertisers that pay the players’ salaries, as well as the University that covers staff salaries, facilities and marketing. 
The problem today for most fans is that they do not yet recognize this paradigm shift. The coach is no longer selling student life and academics to recruit prospective players. The only real question the kids, or the kid’s agent has, is can you beat this price.  Moreover, some still think kids are going to stay with the program if they like the coach. Absolutely wrong!  From the players perspective, especially ones that have talent, their goal is to maximize their market value and get paid the highest salary over the course of their college career. The better the job of the coach in developing talent the more the market value of the player increases. The only way to retain these players is to pay market value.  The only way to do that is to have a strong NIL.
It is a new world of CBB. There is the old saying that superior talent will make average coaches look great.  If I am the AD there is one coaching talent that stands out above the others and that is the ability to increase the NIL fund.

3/01/2024 12:57 pm  #58

Well done CLK. 
I might add that I still think it's important to the players for be in a situation where they have a chance to play with other good players and win.  Getting to the NCAA Tournament can obviously do a lot to enhance the reputation and value of players, both to other college programs, or to professional teams.  The basketball season can be a long grind if you play on a team that loses more than it wins, so I strongly believe players still care about winning.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/01/2024 12:58 pm)

3/01/2024 1:03 pm  #59

Great points.  Our next coach needs to be seasoned professional with prior experience interacting with wealthy donors and raising money.  The game has changed and money matters.  We need someone who can develop a culture an environment so players WANT to stay AND has the ability to help raise money to pay the players.  A big ask, but this is the world we are now living in.

3/01/2024 1:17 pm  #60

It's too bad, CLK, but I fear you are right.

3/01/2024 1:23 pm  #61

Ironduke81 wrote:

What if his best friend Mr. James has promised the AD 1 or 2 million $$ to use for NIL If Coach Joyce is the next head coach. No longer about the x & Os if you can buy top flight Jimmy’s & Joes. Just a thought 🤔🤔🤔

Yes, that would certainly be something worth exploring.  

3/01/2024 2:52 pm  #62

Perhaps DU should de-emphasize major college athletics -  be more like Carnegie Mellon (They DO have a basketball team)  The school would continue to offer the Duquesne Education to any athlete who desires one going forward recruit STUDENT-ATHLETES as opposed to ATHLETE-STUDENTS.   Spare me the "Gonzaga Argument" where there is the talk about how admissions etc increase due to the quality of the basketball team -   I will counter with the "Indiana Argument"   when Bob Knight was terminated -  contributions/donations to the athletic department declined -  it was MORE THAN OFFSET by increases to the University as a whole.   Perhaps more attention should be given to Andy the Accountant and Paula the Pharmacist as opposed to Joann the Jump Shooter and Raymond the Rebounder.

3/01/2024 3:26 pm  #63

SkepticAl wrote:

Perhaps DU should de-emphasize major college athletics -  be more like Carnegie Mellon (They DO have a basketball team)  The school would continue to offer the Duquesne Education to any athlete who desires one going forward recruit STUDENT-ATHLETES as opposed to ATHLETE-STUDENTS.   Spare me the "Gonzaga Argument" where there is the talk about how admissions etc increase due to the quality of the basketball team -   I will counter with the "Indiana Argument"   when Bob Knight was terminated -  contributions/donations to the athletic department declined -  it was MORE THAN OFFSET by increases to the University as a whole.   Perhaps more attention should be given to Andy the Accountant and Paula the Pharmacist as opposed to Joann the Jump Shooter and Raymond the Rebounder.

Now there's a thought. Hartford (about 6000 students) went from D-1 to D-3 and St. Francis (NY) (about 2500 students) dropped intercollegiate athletics altogether. They're still in business. Besides, how many current students came to Duquesne becsuse of successful sports teams?

3/01/2024 4:51 pm  #64

Not saying I want that but I would 100% still go to games in that situation.

3/01/2024 5:22 pm  #65

An emphatic, no thank you, to a lesser level of or no basketball.

3/01/2024 5:41 pm  #66

phil95 wrote:

I second that motion.

3/01/2024 5:46 pm  #67

applecorps wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I second that motion.

I third that motion.

3/01/2024 5:57 pm  #68

CityDuke wrote:

applecorps wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I second that motion.

I third that motion.

Fourth.

3/01/2024 6:02 pm  #69

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

applecorps wrote:

I second that motion.

I third that motion.

Fourth.

Shouldn’t even be a talking point but not a surprise. Guess I’ll say fifth. I just don’t understand a lot of you!

3/01/2024 6:41 pm  #70

Again, not saying, I would want that at all. But at the same time, I love Duquesne for Duquesne, and the formative experiences I had there. I root because it’s Duquesne, and my fandom isn’t contingent. If they moved basketball to the moon, it would still be where I met my wife, many lifelong friends, got married, and so on.

And realistically, the bottom line is unless college football splits away from all of the other athletics, it’s going to get a lot worse at any school not in the big conferences.

3/01/2024 7:03 pm  #71

scduke wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

Now there's a thought. Hartford (about 6000 students) went from D-1 to D-3 and St. Francis (NY) (about 2500 students) dropped intercollegiate athletics altogether. They're still in business. Besides, how many current students came to Duquesne becsuse of successful sports teams?

When I initially read your post it was in my opinion total heresy. I still disagree that the Dukes should drop down. But your point about the students receiving aid is in my opinion valid. I can guarantee that those accountants, pharmacists, doctors, lawyers, etc… will give back to the University. These basketball players don’t give 💩about the University. Oh my bad the football players, soccer etc indeed  give back. I still believe in this basketball program based upon the leadership of Gormley. Go Dukes.👍

3/01/2024 8:35 pm  #72

Ironduke81 wrote:

scduke wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

When I initially read your post it was in my opinion total heresy. I still disagree that the Dukes should drop down. But your point about the students receiving aid is in my opinion valid. I can guarantee that those accountants, pharmacists, doctors, lawyers, etc… will give back to the University. These basketball players don’t give 💩about the University. Oh my bad the football players, soccer etc indeed give back. I still believe in this basketball program based upon the leadership of Gormley. Go Dukes.👍

According to the Internet DU has an enrollment of 8,100 - undergraduate and graduate students -  I was attempting to look at a scenario where the decision might be best for the 8,100 as opposed to the 30 on the 2 basketball teams.   

3/01/2024 11:48 pm  #73

Duquesne could best help those 8100 by reigning in the cost of their education.  The last time Duquesne went to the NCAA, tuition was about 12K for a four-year degree and starting salaries were probably around 12-14K per year.  Today, tuition for that same four-year degree would be around 180K and starting salaries would be around 60K.  So, starting salaries are up about 4X and tuition is up about 15X.
Solving that is a much more complex task than the cost of funding a basketball team.   Downgrading to a lower conference or eliminating the sport entirely would make as much sense as cutting funding to the team to raise more money for the Tamburitzans.  Wait.. didn’t we try that once before?  

3/02/2024 8:17 pm  #74

Only at Duquesne would the fan base encourage firing the head coach with a winning record.

This program has had two head coaches with winning records since Red Manning retired in 1974.

2 in 50 years.

I will start a Novena.

3/02/2024 10:12 pm  #75

Box & One wrote:

Only at Duquesne would the fan base encourage firing the head coach with a winning record.

This program has had two head coaches with winning records since Red Manning retired in 1974.

2 in 50 years.

I will start a Novena.

I would put it this way. DU was not patient with RE, but extended KD's contract. All was fair. KD will likely, at his age retire. That's fair. I really don't care after careful study that they do or don't give it to Dru. KD had a long career and DU will likely more on. I'm not a fan of KD, but I'm rooting for his team through this season. They are doing well, not great, but the last days of this season are not done. But, win or lose, DU should more on. I'll leave you with just one more point, it's not only at DU. Blogs every school call for a new coach, even when they are winning? Ask PITT how that push to get rid of Dixon is working out.

Board footera