Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2013 8:18 am  #1

Women's team lost to Pitt

Suzie beats her former team by 10 points. Now you can say she can take hers and beat yours, and take yours and beat hers.

It's an ugly and hurtful loss for Duquesne, because the women had owned the City Game for several years, so this represents a step back. I'm hoping it was a matter of shaking off the holiday dust, because this is still a good team that can win the A-10 and because I think Dan Burt is a good coach.

Get 'em next time.

12/30/2013 8:49 am  #2

Re: Women's team lost to Pitt

It was indeed a matter of shaking off the holiday dust. I've always felt that the Christmas break was often a great equalizer in college basketball. Pitt wasn't doing anything great, but Duquesne couldn't hit a shot to save their lives. Missed a lotta easy lay-ups & put-backs, had to have been at least a half dozen shots that rolled around the rim & rolled back out, & an equal number of rebounds that went directly into a Duquesne player's hands, only to be dropped. Very frustrating. I think we could play Pitt 10 more times & win all of 'em.

My wife bought a 4-game Pitt package that included the Duquesne game. So I'll get the pleasure of witnessing Notre Dame whipping Susie's butt at a later date.

12/30/2013 9:19 am  #3

“I think it was special to show how good of a coach (McConnell-Serio) is,” Davis said. “It definitely meant a lot to us to just work hard for her. She was going against a team that she built up to be as good as they are and she came to our program and has built us up a lot, too. It was special because we wanted to win it for her, having come from Duquesne to be with Pitt.”
from Tribune.

I am sure the field goal kicker for KC would make most of his field goals from where he missed yesterday also, but didn't.  I am a huge Duquesne fan but let's face it, an excellent coach left, went to Pitt, and her team beat us when it counted.  Just the facts.  In a few years from now we probably won't be able to compete with them and it will be similar to their men's team beating our men's team for years and years in a row.  Let's repeat we can't compete.

Last edited by FAM (12/30/2013 9:21 am)

12/30/2013 12:13 pm  #4

I have no doubt that Susie will build a great program at Pitt. After all, she did it at Duquesne---why wouldn't she do it at Pitt, with Pitt's resources & the ACC brand name at her disposal? And if she doesn't, she can always go somewhere else & justify it with more malarkey about new challenges & the next level & so forth. However, like Mark McGwire didn't go before Congress to talk about the past, I wasn't talking about the future.

Right now, much like her first team at Duquesne, Susie has a good point guard & little else. As can be expected, she has 'em playing hard. Other than Kiesel, she doesn't have the same caliber players as Duquesne. She doesn't have players like Wumi, Orsi, or Raegan. Wumi is 1st-team preseason all-A-10. Pitt has nobody on the preseason all-ACC 1st or 2nd team. Raegan is 6th in the country in 3-point FG % as I write this, 39th in 3-pointers per game, & has tied the school record with 9 3-pointers in one game. Pitt has no shooter like her. Orsi is one of the few women in the country with a triple-double as I write this. Pitt has nobody like her. These are facts. I was at the game & I'm just telling you what I saw. Notwithstanding the glowing reports about Susie's coaching in today's papers, Duquesne beat themselves more than Pitt beat them.

12/30/2013 5:38 pm  #5

She now has a budget for players, just like Jamie Dixon. Not as large as Dixon's, but maybe in the same bracket as the NY Yankees.

I'm kidding.

As far as you know.

12/30/2013 9:03 pm  #6

Well, if you think Pitt's athletic programs are strong now, they're really gonna get good in 2017 when they finally pay off the last of Tony Dorsett's parking tickets!

Board footera