Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2024 4:23 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - George Mason University Patriots

Rayrich wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

phil95 wrote:

C'mon Ray. Dae Dae is by far the most offensively dangerous Duke. His shooting has been troublesome for too many games this year but he didn't score 2,000 points because he is bad.

He just threw the ball into stands again. Didn't say he was bad, but is not being used properly by this coaching staff.

Clark is their catalyst and the most dangerous Duke, but Grant isn't far behind if he's playing his A game. Clark will make 2nd or 3rd all conference, Grant doesn't deserve it, but believe me I root for him. He plays hard.

Grant 33% from 3 pt this year compared with I think 43% last year.  Are they not running plays to get him open looks, or just an off year?

Funny that we are all fairly disappointed in how the season has gone, but 8-3 since the 0-5 start, and only the Davidson home loss was a bad loss.  At Dayton and at Fordham are the others.  Its been said by many, but I wish KD would go to to bigger lineup, with more Mahorcic, Savrasov, Necas and Drame(s), and theyd have a better shot in the tourney

3/02/2024 4:41 pm  #27

Well, that slow start sure had me worried, but kudos to the team for not letting that affect their defense.  Their offense took some time to warm up but the defense tightened up and held them at 14 points for forever.  At the end of the game, we made all the right plays.  It was great to see us step up in crunch time, especially as we get closer to the conference tournament.  Awesome 8 point win 

3/02/2024 4:59 pm  #28

That was one ugly basketball game. So many fouls, too many turnovers,  loads of bad decisions, & terrible long-range shooting from both teams.

I am very happy the Dukes came out on top. They showed tenacity & composure down the stretch.

I like the strategic use of zone defense coach deployed.

Do posters think that Dixon is not playing more minutes to protect his knee?

3/02/2024 5:06 pm  #29

Not to be too picky but, the loss at Fordham was probably the worst loss of the year both because they stink & because it wasn't really a close contest.

wharfrat wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

He just threw the ball into stands again. Didn't say he was bad, but is not being used properly by this coaching staff.

Clark is their catalyst and the most dangerous Duke, but Grant isn't far behind if he's playing his A game. Clark will make 2nd or 3rd all conference, Grant doesn't deserve it, but believe me I root for him. He plays hard.

Grant 33% from 3 pt this year compared with I think 43% last year.  Are they not running plays to get him open looks, or just an off year?

Funny that we are all fairly disappointed in how the season has gone, but 8-3 since the 0-5 start, and only the Davidson home loss was a bad loss.  At Dayton and at Fordham are the others.  Its been said by many, but I wish KD would go to to bigger lineup, with more Mahorcic, Savrasov, Necas and Drame(s), and theyd have a better shot in the tourney

3/02/2024 5:47 pm  #30

Dare I say we won this one at the free throw line?  Very nice road win and should help our A-10 toruney seed.

3/02/2024 6:02 pm  #31

The women yes women scorekeeper told the referees that Jimmy Clark had 2 foul shoots with only 9 team fouls. No penalty. Referees tell Dambrot & Duquesne players two. Jimmy clanks front end. GM players last second tell player 1& 1 . Dukes stand around rightfully so. GM. Players rebound release layup referees have to blow the whistle. GM fans go nuts. Even the GM announcers said two shots. Referees on camera confront her & on camera she goes in deny mode. Can you imagine if the great Tim Zugates blew this call at home for Duquesne against the visiting team. If would fire her asap. woke rules unfortunately. God bless Zugates👍

3/02/2024 6:06 pm  #32

Rayrich wrote:

Ugly, but a great gritty win. Won a lot of the loose ball battles. Dixon's defense was huge in the 2nd half and shot a perfect 4-4. F Drame another solid game along with Jimmy. Beat VCU! 

Loose ball battles was right on. We seem to want it more.

3/02/2024 6:22 pm  #33

In the pregame interview KD said Hassan Drame had knee surgery and is out for the year. I believe he alsi said that he had the knee issue for most of the season. Wish him the best.

3/02/2024 7:38 pm  #34

CLK wrote:

In the pregame interview KD said Hassan Drame had knee surgery and is out for the year. I believe he alsi said that he had the knee issue for most of the season. Wish him the best.

Not sure that would have been true. Since it would have been in KD's  best interest to have said that earlier?  Still, this doesn't explain in his early season comments, that both Drame's were disappointed  that KD was only going to play  the one Drame? Nothing here makes any sense? Also, that Andrei is nailed to the bench doesn't sound right here either.

3/02/2024 8:26 pm  #35

Coach Dambrot coached a solid game at a hostile environment. GM took down flyer Natio previous game. . I do however can’t understand Andre sitting on the bench. The current 4 just gives nothing especially with his experience. I hope this is not personal against Sarasov but cmon man. Makes no sense. Keith don’t be a hater.

3/02/2024 8:56 pm  #36

They did what they needed to do to win on the road when things were ugly. This was a great win and consistency is going to be key when the going gets tough. 

3/02/2024 9:41 pm  #37

Good teams find ways to win even when they don’t have their A game, and that’s exactly what we did. We’ll need to play a lot better to have any chance against VCU, but no apologies are necessary for March wins on the road.

3/02/2024 9:42 pm  #38

BluffHunter wrote:

They did what they needed to do to win on the road when things were ugly. This was a great win and consistency is going to be key when the going gets tough. 

Well. yes they did. I hope going forward they beat VCU. I might be a little shocked, mind you if they pull that one off, but I'll take it.  It's a bit more tough at VCU were they have sold out every game since they built that arena. Actually, we don't need that win that game to get our seat at the tourney, but it would be more then just great. Good win today Dukes.

3/02/2024 10:04 pm  #39

I already talked about this in a separate thread... and I'm going to "try" to be nice (sign of the cross)... Savrasov is not an A10 quality player, and that showed as soon as we started A10 play. I vividly remember being at the home Dayton game, now granted we were witnessing one of Holmes better games, but he was physically and mentally out-matched. There was a noticable drop in play everytime be came in, and if you noticed... that was the last game he had significant minutes. And I actually applaud KD for that. I don't understand the desire for him to play more, it's not like he's Shane Battier sitting on the bench. We've won 9 out of the last 12 games, he wasn't a part of that, he was a part of us losing the first 5 A10 games though (not that it was all him, but he sure didn't show up for those games if you look back). He's from Georgia Southern, a Sun Belt team, you think that conference is on equal footing as the A10... the answer is no folks. It's almost like everyone see's him like he's a year 4 kid, he tried to shoot his shot (pun intended) and it didn't work out. I'm sure he's a great kid, and I know we want more from the 4 spot, but we've seen that movie, the ending isn't any better. (Rant over)

I'm sorry, I usually don't like to be negative after a win, but I needed some therapy via my thumbs. This was a great win folks. Even though it's a team where "net wise" we are pretty close, that's a tough place to play, it wasn't pretty, but we got it done. I think a couple posters said this is a game we usually lose, we didn't, and that was because we didn't let the first half get us down, we played defense, and made free throws at a better clip than the other team. If you guys listened to the Dayton/ Loyola game last night, Lunardi actually gave us some shine for teams to watch in the A10 tournament. I know this season is not where we want it to be, but I'd rather get on a hot streak "now" than earlier in the year.

3/02/2024 11:11 pm  #40

StillatShales wrote:

I already talked about this in a separate thread... and I'm going to "try" to be nice (sign of the cross)... Savrasov is not an A10 quality player, and that showed as soon as we started A10 play. I vividly remember being at the home Dayton game, now granted we were witnessing one of Holmes better games, but he was physically and mentally out-matched. There was a noticable drop in play everytime be came in, and if you noticed... that was the last game he had significant minutes. And I actually applaud KD for that. I don't understand the desire for him to play more, it's not like he's Shane Battier sitting on the bench. We've won 9 out of the last 12 games, he wasn't a part of that, he was a part of us losing the first 5 A10 games though (not that it was all him, but he sure didn't show up for those games if you look back). He's from Georgia Southern, a Sun Belt team, you think that conference is on equal footing as the A10... the answer is no folks. It's almost like everyone see's him like he's a year 4 kid, he tried to shoot his shot (pun intended) and it didn't work out. I'm sure he's a great kid, and I know we want more from the 4 spot, but we've seen that movie, the ending isn't any better. (Rant over)

I'm sorry, I usually don't like to be negative after a win, but I needed some therapy via my thumbs. This was a great win folks. Even though it's a team where "net wise" we are pretty close, that's a tough place to play, it wasn't pretty, but we got it done. I think a couple posters said this is a game we usually lose, we didn't, and that was because we didn't let the first half get us down, we played defense, and made free throws at a better clip than the other team. If you guys listened to the Dayton/ Loyola game last night, Lunardi actually gave us some shine for teams to watch in the A10 tournament. I know this season is not where we want it to be, but I'd rather get on a hot streak "now" than earlier in the year.

GM didn't have two starters because of injuries. Good for us, but this is GM's third lose in a row now, before that, healthy, GM beat Dayton. Let's not get too carried away with this win. As far as Savrasov, he started the season when we were most successful, and has played off and on in more games then you mentioned. We struggled today and it might have been wise to get him some minutes.It's anyones guess. But not getting minutes when KD doesn't know who at any moment might get injured or in foul trouble into tourny when you play, likely 4 games in 4 days  is likely, not that wise.

3/02/2024 11:58 pm  #41

During non-conference play, not A10 games. Granted, we played a better non-conference schedule this year, but we didn't exactly play a bevy of power five talent. I go back to a point I usually make, the best teams have a set rotation. I love depth don't get me wrong, but look at Dayton for example. They barely go deeper than 8 guys a game. I'm sure there 9, 10, 11 guys are good too, but not better than who's ahead of them. This isn't high school ball where every tom dick and harry plays. We need some consistency and cohesion before the tournament starts. People get hurt, foul trouble, etc but I like us when we float around 9 guys tops. Today wasn't one of those days, but beggers can't be choosers, especially after a win.

And to close the loop here, "he's" too small to be a 4 and doesn't shoot well enough to be a 3. Plopping him in today against GM, or the next against VCU, wouldn't help anybody or himself. And yes I know some folks are laying goose eggs, but id rather have someone in there with the threat of scoring instead of... whatever the opposite of a threat is. 😁

Also, I do get that two guys didn't play, but ESPN had us at a 36% chance of winning this game, and we were 3.5 point dogs. None of that changed before tip. Probably because our road record is historically bad... but still, here we are taking about the down the liner getting playing time when we beat GM on the road by 8, while not playing our best... clean it up we can beat VCU. And if we can't beat GW at home I'll eat my own hat. Let's celebrate this win and keep the faith. He'll even if we stay at 7, we still play a team that played day one in the tourney.

3/03/2024 9:15 am  #42

StillatShales wrote:

During non-conference play, not A10 games. Granted, we played a better non-conference schedule this year, but we didn't exactly play a bevy of power five talent. I go back to a point I usually make, the best teams have a set rotation. I love depth don't get me wrong, but look at Dayton for example. They barely go deeper than 8 guys a game. I'm sure there 9, 10, 11 guys are good too, but not better than who's ahead of them. This isn't high school ball where every tom dick and harry plays. We need some consistency and cohesion before the tournament starts. People get hurt, foul trouble, etc but I like us when we float around 9 guys tops. Today wasn't one of those days, but beggers can't be choosers, especially after a win.

And to close the loop here, "he's" too small to be a 4 and doesn't shoot well enough to be a 3. Plopping him in today against GM, or the next against VCU, wouldn't help anybody or himself. And yes I know some folks are laying goose eggs, but id rather have someone in there with the threat of scoring instead of... whatever the opposite of a threat is. 😁

Also, I do get that two guys didn't play, but ESPN had us at a 36% chance of winning this game, and we were 3.5 point dogs. None of that changed before tip. Probably because our road record is historically bad... but still, here we are taking about the down the liner getting playing time when we beat GM on the road by 8, while not playing our best... clean it up we can beat VCU. And if we can't beat GW at home I'll eat my own hat. Let's celebrate this win and keep the faith. He'll even if we stay at 7, we still play a team that played day one in the tourney.

Good post.  Dusan looks better every game and if Grant and Clark get hot at VCU, who knows.

3/03/2024 10:55 am  #43

As I pointed out in an earlier post, I totally believe that Dusan's presence on the court and continued contribution is imperative to any success the Dukes will have. I know he has seemed out of place at times and a half step behind the play, but taking all into consideration, I'd like to see 25 minutes a game from him. I don't believe that he was brought here to play 5 -10 minutes. Looked reasonably good yesterday and, again, needs to play as much as possible IMO. Kudos to the Dukes yesterday for a great road win even though GM was shorthanded. A win is a win. GO DUKES!!!

3/03/2024 11:18 am  #44

I respectfully disagree about Mahorcic. His playing time should be determined by matchups & the opponent's style of play.

His contributions have definitely increased in proportion to his liabilities but he still offers little in the way of rim protection & defensive help against straight line drives. Likewise, his rebounding & care of the ball are lacking for a player that would play as much as you have suggested.

Playing him 5 minutes a game is silly. He has earned much more than that but, for my money, he would really have to be in a groove to be playing more than 15 minutes per game.

I prefer more Dixon/Drame/Necas/Hronsky minutes. I  also like Tre Williams at 15-17 minutes if he is scoring.

3/03/2024 11:29 am  #45

Ironduke81 wrote:

The women yes women scorekeeper told the referees that Jimmy Clark had 2 foul shoots with only 9 team fouls. No penalty. Referees tell Dambrot & Duquesne players two. Jimmy clanks front end. GM players last second tell player 1& 1 . Dukes stand around rightfully so. GM. Players rebound release layup referees have to blow the whistle. GM fans go nuts. Even the GM announcers said two shots. Referees on camera confront her & on camera she goes in deny mode. Can you imagine if the great Tim Zugates blew this call at home for Duquesne against the visiting team. If would fire her asap. woke rules unfortunately. God bless Zugates👍

There is a lot of misogyny and right wing rhetoric to unpack here but I’ll just focus on the basketball.  This was a non event for me. Had the scorekeeper got it correct, the Dukes would have been in position to rebound the ball or prevent any fast break so the notion that the mistake caused GM to miss out on a scoring opportunity is nonsense.

IronDuke, you are of the opinion that because the scorekeeper, one time during the game, erroneously believed GM had fouled 10 times instead of 9 that she should be fired?

3/03/2024 11:37 am  #46

phil95 wrote:

I respectfully disagree about Mahorcic. His playing time should be determined by matchups & the opponent's style of play.

His contributions have definitely increased in proportion to his liabilities but he still offers little in the way of rim protection & defensive help against straight line drives. Likewise, his rebounding & care of the ball are lacking for a player that would play as much as you have suggested.

Playing him 5 minutes a game is silly. He has earned much more than that but, for my money, he would really have to be in a groove to be playing more than 15 minutes per game.

I prefer more Dixon/Drame/Necas/Hronsky minutes. I  also like Tre Williams at 15-17 minutes if he is scoring.

I also think Dusan should be a matchup based play. Some days he can move better than others but it’s obvious he labors his leg every single time down the floor. I think the last couple of games his ego is getting in the way too. He needs to go back to fundamentals and doing the right things to win. For him that would be rebounding and boxing out hard and strong post ups.

3/03/2024 11:39 am  #47

StillatShales wrote:

I agree with most of this. Why is everybody clamoring for Savrasov?  And why so down on Trey?  Trey’s value is not congruent to the amount of points he scores. He plays really good defense and really plays well with the other guys, something most of us agreed was necessary.  Playing Savrasov a few minutes before media timeouts or when we get into foul trouble is fine with me but we have been winning at a high rate since his minutes were significantly reduced.  Trey has been doing a nice job taking what the defense gives him. When he has the advantage inside he tries to score and when not he’s been sharing the ball nicely. He’s a big body that gives teams something to deal with. And he has loads of A-10 experience. What do you think you will get from Savrasov that you are not getting from Trey/Necas/Drame/Matus? And what makes you think you will get it?

3/03/2024 11:42 am  #48

DuqLaw95 wrote:

Really surprised this team pulled out a win, but I’ll take it. I think DiMichele needs to see a significant decrease in minutes. 

Jake did not play well.  One of the few times you could say that this season. He does not deserve to lose PT for one bad performance.

3/03/2024 11:43 am  #49

Styles1229 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

There is a lot of misogyny and right wing rhetoric to unpack here but I’ll just focus on the basketball. This was a non event for me. Had the scorekeeper got it correct, the Dukes would have been in position to rebound the ball or prevent any fast break so the notion that the mistake caused GM to miss out on a scoring opportunity is nonsense.

IronDuke, you are of the opinion that because the scorekeeper, one time during the game, erroneously believed GM had fouled 10 times instead of 9 that she should be fired?

I wondered about that too, Styles. It was a pretty cringeworthy post.

3/03/2024 11:54 am  #50

Styles1229 wrote:

DuqLaw95 wrote:

Really surprised this team pulled out a win, but I’ll take it. I think DiMichele needs to see a significant decrease in minutes. 

Jake did not play well. One of the few times you could say that this season. He does not deserve to lose PT for one bad performance.

One thing I like about Jake is when he's on the court, it seems like he's involved in every play, always around the ball. Sometimes that means being in the wrong place at the wrong time with a spotlight on you. He is definitely the opposite of a player who disappears for minutes at a time. 

Board footera