Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2024 9:14 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Virginia Commonwealth University Rams

BluffHunter wrote:

When they say that was Duquesne's second win in the Siegel Center, are they counting the Richmond game in the 2021 A10 tournament? So this is our first win against VCU there? 

No. We won at VCU in 2020. Still this was a big win.

3/05/2024 9:18 pm  #52

Nice work by the coaching staff. All the right buttons were pushed. 

Don't forget the win at VCU at the end of the 19-20 season. That was thrilling.

Dukes must keep their collective foot on the gas pedal by beating GW.

3/05/2024 9:18 pm  #53

Rayrich wrote:

Great win! I think avoiding that 8-9 game (versus St. Joe or GMU) is huge. Beat GW. Williams hitting both ends of that one and one was nice. He stepped up tonight as did all the Dukes. 

Tre and all the Dukes coming up big late in the season is a very good sign. It's something we haven't seen a lot of. Momentum going into the Tourney is great.  

3/05/2024 9:24 pm  #54

Huge win! The game completely changed when we went to the 3-2 zone. They looked all out of sorts. Well coached and well executed win. Another Quad 1 win! Keep going Dukes!

Last edited by CityDuke (3/05/2024 9:25 pm)

3/05/2024 9:25 pm  #55

HUGE WIN !!!!!.....
Can we finally get off Rozier's back.....He moves the ball better than anyone on the team, as a point guard should. He also does a good job on defense. I was critical of him when we went 0-3 and eventually 0-5 at the start of confrence play.....but he has been a steady hand and positive presence ever since......

Last edited by CalDuke (3/06/2024 1:31 am)

3/05/2024 9:30 pm  #56

I would love to know why VCU's coach chose NOT to blitz our guards in the halfcourt offense. So many teams have had success doing that 5hus season.

3/05/2024 9:34 pm  #57

Congratulations Bluffites.Just really happyfor our Dukes and the folks on this board. Really nice win.Just happy.

3/05/2024 9:35 pm  #58

I got no complaints with either the officials or the announcers I think they both were fair to us, Usually don't get some of the calls on the road that we did tonight.

3/05/2024 9:39 pm  #59

This win could shake up the 4th spot. St. B. might get it. They have the tie breaker with VCU. and UMASS. Just think the Dukes beat St.B. twice? We still will finish 7th. So it's getting interesting.

3/05/2024 9:43 pm  #60

NapaDuke wrote:

This win could shake up the 4th spot. St. B. might get it. They have the tie breaker with VCU. and UMASS. Just think the Dukes beat St.B. twice? We still will finish 7th. So it's getting interesting.

I'd like to catch the Bonnies, and we have the tiebreaker.

3/05/2024 9:46 pm  #61

I feel like I could copy/paste my reply from the last game. I don't care who did/didn't play... that was a huge win. In their house to boot (ESPN had us I think at a less than 25% chance to win). Dae Dae getting hot from 3 at the right time too. Fellas, we need to show up in droves Saturday vs GW. What a big game that will be, Senior Day, Chuck Cooper classic, and potentially seal the deal on back to back 20 win seasons (which hasn't been done since 70/71). Let's get it, smash GW, and have some positive momentum going into the A10 tournament. Keep the faith.

3/05/2024 9:46 pm  #62

What seed looks most likely for the Dukes now? 7th seed?

3/05/2024 10:16 pm  #63

Nice.  My power went out when game was 13-12 or so.   Still isnt back on.   But this at least brightens my night!

Last edited by townsonkid (3/05/2024 10:47 pm)

3/05/2024 10:54 pm  #64

Very happy for our  Dukes tonight. Keep it going!

3/06/2024 1:11 am  #65

DuqLaw95 wrote:

6 is still in play, but 7 is more likely. Those are the only possibilities remaining. Even at this late stage, I don't believe any seeds are locked in. The most likely tournament path for the Dukes is Fordham, Loyola, Dayton, and Richmond. That may seem like a bad draw since we wen't 1-5 against those teams, but we've shown we can compete with all of them. We obviously will need to play better, but I like the end of season momentum for a change.

3/06/2024 7:09 am  #66

Unbelievable win! We really needed Grant to have a great game and he came through.  Rozier made a huge contribution, and the coaching staff and the players were focused and are creating momentum heading into the tournament.

Go Dukes!

3/06/2024 9:05 am  #67

Went to the game. Unbelievable atmosphere, fan & student support very impressive. Hopefully, the Cooper Center can consistently in the future pack the house. VCU & Richmond however do not have to compete with the Steelers & Penguins. Also met Jimmy Clark’s dad walking into the game. Total dude👍The fans also were very polite & friendly. Obviously, I toned down any obnoxious Yinzer behavior or worse yet Bonnie or Flyer nation fans behavior. Rams best player was out due to injury. That’s basketball. The referees were fair. Coach Dambrot actually switched to a zone at times. In my opinion he was strategically dictating the game. This is a good sign for the tournament.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (3/06/2024 9:06 am)

3/06/2024 9:12 am  #68

CityDuke wrote:

Huge win! The game completely changed when we went to the 3-2 zone. They looked all out of sorts. Well coached and well executed win. Another Quad 1 win! Keep going Dukes!

That switch to zone was awesome.  The Dukes are on the cusped of a 20 win season and are red hot.  Some of the Jan and Feb comments are not ageing well.  

3/06/2024 9:47 am  #69

11 of 12 from the FT line, nice!!!  

3/06/2024 11:10 am  #70

CLK wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

That switch to zone was awesome.  The Dukes are on the cusped of a 20 win season and are red hot.  Some of the Jan and Feb comments are not ageing well.  

The use of the zone is getting results. We didn't see it earlier in the season, but it's a great addition to the Dukes game. Teams we will face in the tourney didn't see it either when we played them and it's likely going to be an advantage for the Dukes.

3/06/2024 11:13 am  #71

Speaking of FTs, Butler plays Xavier tonight. Dae Dae really needs Butler's DJ Davis to miss some tonight to take have a chance to end the season as the country's best FT shooter.

3/06/2024 12:03 pm  #72

luckymcd wrote:

DuqLaw95 wrote:

6 is still in play, but 7 is more likely. Those are the only possibilities remaining. Even at this late stage, I don't believe any seeds are locked in. The most likely tournament path for the Dukes is Fordham, Loyola, Dayton, and Richmond. That may seem like a bad draw since we wen't 1-5 against those teams, but we've shown we can compete with all of them. We obviously will need to play better, but I like the end of season momentum for a change.

We will know a lot more after tonight and some seeds will start to get locked in; i.e. Richmond win locks in the #1 seed, etc. 
Also, the VCU game is a Quad 2 win for the Dukes (they are now 5-5 in Quad 2, 1-3 in Quad 1 (win at Bonnies, a loss to Nebraska and 2 losses to Dayton).    

3/06/2024 12:17 pm  #73

That was as workmanlike of a Dukes road win that I have seen in a long time. All 11 players contributed and they were rock solid and focused down the stretch.  The bounceback in going 9-3 in their last 12 A-10 games (and 4-2 on the road in this stretch) is pretty strong; momentum is now with the Dukes.

3/06/2024 7:23 pm  #74

I just watched the whole game again, after knowing the end result. Two things on our side that stood out. First that DeMichelle scores in the paint like no one in D-1 basketball. He is extremely rare.  Second, if Dae Dae is on, we win. But I mean we would have won every single game if  Dae Dae was on?  KD's team is too much dependent on one player being hot. I love Dae Dae, but if he doen't show up in any game, we are done?  But, here is a third, this deep bench subbing in  is now working. I am not a fan of KD, but this late in the season, his deep sub is paying off. We won for multiple chances at VCU, but the one that strikes me the most?  Is that deep sub all game and those young players gave us quality minutes. Not a lot of top coaches would put that much faith in these kids. If we beat all the A-10 in the tourney, it will be KD's faith in that subbing in those kids. You, me, and , everyone, will be suprised, but it will be likely that our bench beat their bench.   

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/06/2024 7:33 pm)

3/06/2024 7:58 pm  #75

Totally Agree Nappa Duke.  If you look at the rest of the points we had a lot of people on the board.  A few scattered here and there across the group.  If Clark and Grant are on, and the rest of the team are making contributions we are very competitive.  Curious to see how we do in the A10 tournament.  If you take our first five games out of the mix we’ve done decent in the A10.  Pulling for this team to make a strong finish. I believe in them.

Board footera