Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2024 1:45 pm  #1

highmark Stadium

I see an article in the PG about Highmark Stadium might get expanded to 15K seating.   Would that be something Duquesne could use to advance the program?   I thought I recalled something about X amount of seats in the stadium to move up to a certain conference for football.

3/14/2024 10:26 pm  #2

Re: highmark Stadium

I always thought that the Dukes should play at least some of their hames there.  Rooney is a soccer field.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/16/2024 11:13 am  #3

I really don't see the major expansion happening. Phase 1 probably will happen to add suites and concessions. Phase 2 probably will happen too, but will only add 1,200 seats. Phase 3 is the major expansion to add 8,000 seats, and I just don't see it happening.

They'd have to build over the roadway to put in an upper deck. If they're going as far as to apply for grants for it I'm sure they've worked out the logistics from a safety and architectural standpoint. It just isn't practical though.

The stadium was originally designed to allow expansion if Pittsburgh got an MLS team. It's unlikely Pittsburgh was ever really considered for MLS, but it definitely isn't happening at this point. The league is already at 30 teams. It's possible they go to 32 at some point in the future, but even if they do, Pittsburgh is well behind multiple other cities.

Looking at the league the Riverhounds play in, there doesn't seem to be demand for the type of expansion they are talking about. There are only three stadiums bigger that seat more than 12,000 and they are all either football or baseball stadiums repurposed for soccer. An expensive and complicated expansion to triple the size of a stadium to a level that is unprecedented in their league just doesn't seem likely to happen.

Having said all that, even in the unlikely event the expansion happens, I don't really see it benefitting Dukes football as you asked about. The only conferences I could see us leaving for are the CAA and the Patriot League. Both would require major increases in funding since the NEC caps scholarships at 45. The Patriot League allows 60 and the CAA adheres to the FCS limit of 63.

If we made the decision to move up though, Highmark would be big enough already. 3 of the last 5 additions to the the CAA (Bryant, Campbell, and Monmouth) have stadiums around Highmark's current size of 5,000. The stadiums in the Patriot are bigger for the most part than Highmark would be even after the expansion. Georgetown joined as a football-only member though, and their "stadium" isn't much bigger than Rooney is. So while we likely would need to move our games to Highmark to join either conference, the expansion wouldn't be necessary.

3/16/2024 11:22 am  #4

MLS is exploring adding a true second league with promotion/relegation between the two in the next several years, so there’s more opportunity for the Riverhounds than you might think.

I believe the Riverhounds own the land under that road behind them, and the road itself is redundant.

15k might be overshooting, but it’s not out of the question to expect a meaningful expansion. Especially with their goal of accommodating events like concerts.

Last edited by Face (3/16/2024 11:44 am)

3/16/2024 1:20 pm  #5

Face wrote:

MLS is exploring adding a true second league with promotion/relegation between the two in the next several years, so there’s more opportunity for the Riverhounds than you might think.

I believe the Riverhounds own the land under that road behind them, and the road itself is redundant.

15k might be overshooting, but it’s not out of the question to expect a meaningful expansion. Especially with their goal of accommodating events like concerts.

MLS relegation will never happen. The league did set up a second league a couple years ago, but it is for reserve sides. So there won't be promotion or relegation from it. The league the Riverhounds are in has explored promotion / relegation, but MLS would not be included, as USL Championship would be the highest level in the promotion.

You are correct that the Riverhounds own the land immediately behind the stadium. For reasons I don't understand though, they don't want to close the road. It does seem redundant to me as well, but the team wants to keep it open as a road and build over it.

The bigger concern is Carson St. Building only over the access road would only allow them to double the size of the grandstand, adding about 3-4,000 seats. I believe the type of expansion they are talking about would require building over Carson Street as well. While it is certainly possible, I really don't think it's feasible, especially if the demand for such an addition may not even exist.

3/16/2024 2:01 pm  #6

There have been discussions about this with MLS as recently as last December at least.

Soccer is growing in the US and Riverhounds were at or above capacity most of last season. I don’t think there’s 15k demand overnight either but this is talking about over a period of years.

Even if not, USL also has designs on competing with MLS, which is lofty, but interesting. I’m all for this if done smart. The stadium was built with expansion in mind, so the logistics and practicality - while I don’t know them - should be well understood by the club.

Last edited by Face (3/16/2024 2:26 pm)

Board footera