Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2024 3:13 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Virginia Commonwealth University Rams (A10 Tourney)

I literally had tears coming down my cheek.  I was shaking!!  I was in college when we last went dancing.  All these years in the desert as someone mentioned.  Unbelievable defense when we couldn't hit the back side of a barn the second have, but we never wilted.  So happy for KD, players and DU fan base.  We did it boys!!  OMG, OMG!!  Thanks to Bonnie nation and Richmond poster for the congratulations.

3/17/2024 3:31 pm  #52

My birthday is coming upFriday. Best birthday gift ever, Happy 69th to me and god bless the Dukes.Better than any Steeler superbowl.

3/17/2024 3:37 pm  #53

These are some sweet numbers after our Duquesne name:  24-11 (14-8).

3/17/2024 3:48 pm  #54

MikeR wrote:

These are some sweet numbers after our Duquesne name:  24-11 (14-8).

Apparently it takes a Dambrot to get the job done. In 108 seasons of basketball, the Dukes have won at least 24 games twice. Sid Dambrot was a player the first time, Keith Dambrot was the coach the second time. I'm more excited about the number that's about to be before our name though, even if it might be a 13.

3/17/2024 3:48 pm  #55

3/17/2024 3:59 pm  #56

Dayton grad and fan here, but former Pittsburgher and friend of the late, great Dukes beat writer Phil Axelrod. I just wanted to say I was rooting big time for Duquesne and you long-suffering fans. I’m so happy for you and for the program. Somewhere up there, Phil is smiling! Best of luck in … THE BIG DANCE!

3/17/2024 4:06 pm  #57

The Saint Patrick’s Day Miracle!  🍀

3/17/2024 4:07 pm  #58

Flyer fan wrote:

Dayton grad and fan here, but former Pittsburgher and friend of the late, great Dukes beat writer Phil Axelrod. I just wanted to say I was rooting big time for Duquesne and you long-suffering fans. I’m so happy for you and for the program. Somewhere up there, Phil is smiling! Best of luck in … THE BIG DANCE!

First a Bonaventure fan, now a Dayton fan happy to see the Dukes win. That really tells you all you need to know about how long it's been for the Dukes. I'd say we might see a Pitt fan in here next, but they're probably angry at us for knocking off the Flyers, shrinking the bubble, and maybe sending them to the NIT. I'll say this: I hope to see you in the Big Dance...because it means we've made at least the Elite Eight.

3/17/2024 4:11 pm  #59

I have been KD’s biggest critic the last several years. He finally did not have an end of the year swoon, he finally beat a top twenty five team, his team finally played team basketball and he finally did great in the A 10 tournament. Congratulations to the Coach, the administrators and of course the team. It has been a long wait but it sure does feel great. On the down side of this, is that his father could not witness his son’s great achievement and he had to endure this during his wife’s recovery. Personally I am happy for the coach for what he has gone through the last few years. I hope this eases some of the pain he has gone through. Hats off to everyone involved in getting us to the dance!
  As for the  people calling me out, one moment you want to give coach a lifetime contract the next you want him to be burned at a stake then after a few wins he is better than John Wooden then a couple losses you throw him to the dogs. Just look at some of your post. That’s why I haven’t posted, because you fish out of water have no clue what you’re talking about. You flip flop like a fish out of water.
  I have come to the realization that coaching in today’s world is so much more difficult than it used to be with the NLI and transfer portal as well as Covid years.
  The last 17 games the Dukes have played like I thought they could and that goes to the coaches, the players and administrators for sticking by them. Congratulations and let’s try and get 1 or 2 wins in the tournament!!!

3/17/2024 4:12 pm  #60

3/17/2024 4:12 pm  #61

Great post on YouTube of the net cutting.  Now that brings tears.

3/17/2024 4:13 pm  #62

Duquesne is hosting the games at PPG, correct?

3/17/2024 4:14 pm  #63

3/17/2024 4:15 pm  #64

stew wrote:

My birthday is coming upFriday. Best birthday gift ever, Happy 69th to me and god bless the Dukes.Better than any Steeler superbowl.

Any chance you'll be going to the tournament? Maybe the Dukes can give you an even better birthday gift on your birthday with a tournament win.

On a side note, if you want to see the latest sign of the athletic department's performance, go to goduquesne.com now. I went to see if there was any ticket information for the tournament. I didn't expect there to be since we don't even know where or when we'll be playing, but I figured I'd check to try and get a jump on it. What's the headline now two hours after the win? Duquesne grabs spot in the A-10 final...and the first highlight they show is St. Bonaventure scoring.

3/17/2024 4:19 pm  #65

townsonkid wrote:

Duquesne is hosting the games at PPG, correct?

Correct, but they can't play there. We'll find out who will be and more importantly where the Dukes will be in a couple hours.

3/17/2024 4:27 pm  #66

3/17/2024 4:50 pm  #67

Congratulations to the players and coaches for a great season with more wins to come, and also to the  Duquesne administrators for providing the financial resources to make this possible. I guess I can be considered an "old-timer" since I first started following Duquesne basketball in the early 1950's during the       " glory years"  of Ricketts, Cooper, Johnson, Green, etc. I was a student at DU in the early 1960's and had the privledge of attending Duquesne's NIT appearance at Madison Square Garden. Unfortunately we lost to our old nemisis .....Dayton.  Like many of you, today's victory brought tears to my eyes after many years of false hopes. Go Dukes!!

3/17/2024 5:02 pm  #68

We are watching an actual selection show.    With DU in.   Unbelievable!!!!

3/17/2024 5:06 pm  #69

Wow an 11 seed. In Omaha vs BYU.  Like it.

Last edited by DuqBlue (3/17/2024 5:10 pm)

3/17/2024 5:09 pm  #70

Wow, an 11 seed against BYU in Omaha!!

3/17/2024 5:10 pm  #71

Congrats to Dambrot and the Iron Dukes and all the passionate fans on this board. We finally did it. I'll love Dambrot forever for this. I criticized him relentlessly in the past and was rightfully ridiculed for it in the end. Wanted him to prove me wrong and couldn't be happier that he did. This run isn't over we got some so called power 5 schools to beat yet, and we will. I did not waver before the tourney when I posted numerous times before the A-10 tourney started "its our time" and "we got this". What I meant is we got this Final Four (profanity) down. Go Dukes!

3/17/2024 8:33 pm  #72

This was our Super Bowl today boys. I don't even know where to start...

I do appreciate the "egg on my face" comments on the KD front. That is big of yinz for sure to admit. I for one loved this hire from the start, I know it was rough at times, but how could you not root for this man... and with the added wrinkle of what Donna has gone through recently, I was literally in tears when we won. I'll say it again, no other human being on the planet cares about Duquesne Basketball more than Keith. He left a very comfortable situation in Akron to take on "Mission Impossible" but if you remember when he was first interviewed he said, "I don't understand why no one can win at Duquesne?" The journey was very hard for sure. But he believed. Harper believed. They finally got the building. The players. All we needed was the storybook ending.

I posted a couple days ago saying we have the ability to write our own story, and don't look at anything from the past... just the now. And that is exactly what we did. The moment never was too big, they didn't get rattled, even today when I thought when the confetti fell we were doomed (someone fire that guy...). The defense, the depth, and the Jimmy and Dae Dae displays of greatness was a recipe for disaster for any team playing us. The comeback is greater than the setback right? That 0-5 start actually helped us, KD made the right moves, the players that needed to play, played. And maybe if Dae Dae doesn't get concussed... sure we might have won Richmond or St Joe's... but then we really wouldn't have found out about Jake. I think his increased playing time and numbers was the turning point of the season. We became a complete team. I could keep going about every players contribution, but this truly is a team effort. They were always about the "brotherhood" aspect of a team. Which I feel is dying more and more every year. And... I'll eat some crow here, I didn't like the rotation if 11 - 12 dudes coming in... but the experience helped, and our depth was a catalyst in winning this thing.

I've been on the boards for a minute, not as long as a lot of yinz but enough to enjoy the banter and the outlet to share our opinions. I became a fan of Dukes basketball when my older brother ran track here, and he got me into it around the tail end of the pipkins era. Then I was lucky to attend and play football here in the early 2000s, win a couple MAAC championship, and made some great friends and have some awesome teammates along the way. But my favorite memories were going to all the basketball games with my crew (the quasi original red and blue crew). The Wargo... DeRose, Harrington, Perry (who ended up being Duke the Best) and my now brother in law Joey C. And we would recruit others to join us as well. We would heckle like no other, the opposing coach would hate us by the end. And that St Joe's hawk I know was crying under that suit. But I was always questioning why no one would go... free tickets, A10 basketball, no brainier from me. I played football but loved college basketball, skipping school back in the day to go to Damon's to watch all the games. Nothing better right. That's why I was all-in from the jump. But time, a touch of reality, and the realization that "mission impossible" was hard... building a winner, is hard. Getting people to care, especially when the culture was basically non existent, is hard. But I never waivered... every year... would be the year. I'm one to always look at the positive, and some friends called me nutz (I mean I'm a pirate fan too, very similar) but I knew our day would come. Thank you Keith Dambrot, President Gormley, Mr Harper, Bryan Colonna, and the rest of the athletic department in believing as well. Sid Dambrot is definitely smiling down at us.

My handle StillatShales always had a double meaning. One is obviously about all the times we've being sauced up there. But the other... is that I'll still be there, waiting to have that celebratory drink, when we finally punch our ticket. A toast to you all, to Duquesne, we're still here and we did it...

Now let's shock the world again in the big dance. No one thought we could do this... in my eyes, we are playing with house money. Nobody should want to play us, BYU is about to find out. Go Dukes!

Last edited by StillatShales (3/17/2024 11:13 pm)

3/17/2024 8:38 pm  #73

Wildwood13 wrote:

I have been KD’s biggest critic the last several years. He finally did not have an end of the year swoon, he finally beat a top twenty five team, his team finally played team basketball and he finally did great in the A 10 tournament. Congratulations to the Coach, the administrators and of course the team. It has been a long wait but it sure does feel great. On the down side of this, is that his father could not witness his son’s great achievement and he had to endure this during his wife’s recovery. Personally I am happy for the coach for what he has gone through the last few years. I hope this eases some of the pain he has gone through. Hats off to everyone involved in getting us to the dance!
As for the people calling me out, one moment you want to give coach a lifetime contract the next you want him to be burned at a stake then after a few wins he is better than John Wooden then a couple losses you throw him to the dogs. Just look at some of your post. That’s why I haven’t posted, because you fish out of water have no clue what you’re talking about. You flip flop like a fish out of water.
I have come to the realization that coaching in today’s world is so much more difficult than it used to be with the NLI and transfer portal as well as Covid years.
The last 17 games the Dukes have played like I thought they could and that goes to the coaches, the players and administrators for sticking by them. Congratulations and let’s try and get 1 or 2 wins in the tournament!!!

Don't worry Wildwood13, I have more egg on my face than anyone that had doubts about KD. But, I'd rather be wrong and eating crow on this one than being right. On the very bright side both the coaches and the players are living up to their potential this time and I think they might make some real noise in the NCAA ! I am so happy for KD and Dae Dae and especially Clark for coming here and the whole team. They made some history today, and that's going to stay with them the rest of their lives.

3/17/2024 8:39 pm  #74

Incredible character on this Dukes team to get through some awful minutes of terrible shooting and turnovers and still pull this out. After 47 years, this finally happened. 51 years since I graduated. Never knew if the Dukes would make it. Tears would have come out, but I was at a neighbor's house felt compelled to tune it down. Great day!

Last edited by applecorps (3/17/2024 8:39 pm)

3/17/2024 8:50 pm  #75

applecorps wrote:

Incredible character on this Dukes team to get through some awful minutes of terrible shooting and turnovers and still pull this out. After 47 years, this finally happened. 51 years since I graduated. Never knew if the Dukes would make it. Tears would have come out, but I was at a neighbor's house felt compelled to tune it down. Great day!

We all had tears. I was at my kids house and kept wiping my eyes and looking away so they would not notice.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/17/2024 9:21 pm)

Board footera