Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2024 11:18 am  #26

Re: NCAA: Seeded 11 vs. BYU, game in Omaha

My student attendance at Dukes games goes back to my freshman year in 1959 when George Brown, Bob Slobodnick, Ned Twyman, Paul Benec, Billy Strom were the starters.  While the overall record that year was not good, the 'big triumph' that year was losing to Cincinnati and Oscar Robertson by only 61 -58 at Pitt Field House.  And then we lost two close ones to the Bonnies when they were nationally prominent with the Stith Brothers.  The team played great basketball despite a very tough schedule that year, but ended with a losing record (7-13).  However in 1961-62 with Willie Somerset, Clyde Arnold and Mike Rice… we upset #7 Duke, #6 Bradley, #9 St. Bonaventure, and lost to #3 Cincinnati – then after beating Navy and Bradley in the first two rounds of the NIT, lost to Loyola and St. Johns.  Ended with a 22-7
record!! 

In those years we averaged between 3 and 5,000 attendance per game at the Pitt Fitzgerald Field House and sometimes more at the Civic Auditorium for the bigger games.

Nevertheless I continued to attend the games once I moved back to Pittsburgh, and still buy season tickets to this day.

Have met many of the players and am enthralled with the success we are currently enjoying (IN MY LIFETIME NO LESS!)   Only wish we could get the students and more local fans to attend in the coming years.  GO DUKES!

3/18/2024 3:48 pm  #27

Excited for March Madness and looking forward to playing the Dukes. I thought a few of you might be interested in some thoughts on Duquesne from BYU's head coach, Mark Pope. I think Dukes-specific talk starts about 3:00 min in.

NCAA Tournament Excitement with Mark Pope (youtube.com)

3/18/2024 4:30 pm  #28

MikeR wrote:

CLK wrote:

Think about this, Duquesne is the only team from Pennsylvania to make the NCAA Tournament this year.  Go Dukes!

I declare us to be the PA State Champs. If anyone has a problem with that, schedule a game with us next year. Looking at you Pitt and PSU.

The Dukes and ONLY the Dukes kept the PA tournament streak alive

3/18/2024 4:48 pm  #29

I just bought my first newspaper in probably over 20 years to get the Duke’s front page headlines.  Jerry DiPaola, Dave Mackall and Tim Benz all had good articles on the Dukes.

TRIBUNE REVIEW
MONDAY, MARCH 18, 2024
Duquesne makes NCAA Tourney; Pitt falls short
BY JERRY DIPAOLA

Last edited by coffee (3/18/2024 5:05 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

Board footera