Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2024 9:57 am  #101

Re: When Will the Question of Coach's Status Be Addressed

Seems like an answer is coming soon.

Do we get an immediate announcement of Dru's promotion or the standard "a national search will begin immediately" line?

The search has to go fast with portal-mania already in full swing.

3/18/2024 10:43 am  #102

It appears there will be a noon press conference today to discuss coach Dambrot's coaching future.

Whatever he decides to do is cool.  He will forever hold a special place in DU history for getting the school back to the NCAA tournament after years and years of wandering aimlessly in the college basketball wilderness.

Muchas Gracias Coach and to the players who hung in there, persevered, and got it done in the end !!

3/18/2024 12:57 pm  #103

What a tantalizing set of possibilities & prospects we Dukes fans are faced with this week.

Do some winning on the biggest of stages? Retain & promote a hot but inexperienced young assistant in the hopes of keeping the current players & the obvious positive momentum? Use the new-found respect & exposure that the program has fought so painstakingly to win to swing for the fences on a big-time coaching hire? Select portal recruits from a much higher shelf because the school's rep & NIL coffers will have been significantly upgraded?

3/18/2024 1:50 pm  #104

phil95 wrote:

What a tantalizing set of possibilities & prospects we Dukes fans are faced with this week.

Do some winning on the biggest of stages? Retain & promote a hot but inexperienced young assistant in the hopes of keeping the current players & the obvious positive momentum? Use the new-found respect & exposure that the program has fought so painstakingly to win to swing for the fences on a big-time coaching hire? Select portal recruits from a much higher shelf because the school's rep & NIL coffers will have been significantly upgraded?

Yes, I'm all for Dru. It take a new coach two years just to play on all the A-10 courts, Dru has been there. It take a new coach bring his own players and style of play. Dru knows these players and how they are winners right now. Dru played nine years pro and in HS was the point guard with L. James.  And most important, Dru played for KD. Dru coached with KD. It's a good time to give the guy a chance.

3/18/2024 3:02 pm  #105

I've been a staunch supporter of Keith since he was hired.  I was hoping he would stay for another year or two but with Donna now joining my late mother as a survivor I am certain he's making the right decision for his family.  Best wishes in retirement!

I am hoping that Dru Joyce is named our new head coach shortly after our last game of the season.  He'll keep us on a successful path.  I'll be very surprised and very disappointed if he is not our next head coach. 

Last edited by VBC (3/18/2024 3:02 pm)

3/18/2024 3:25 pm  #106

Is it not just a little tempting for you to use the now much higher quality & profile of the job to land a well regarded known entity with players he might bring with him & a better recruiting staff?

Not arguing your choice; just curious because DU hasn't had the opportunity to hire a coach from a position of strength in such along time.

You can rest assured that yesterday's success is going to take the donations to the program & NIL collective to heights not previously thought possible. That has me licking my chops a bit because the school can't possibly cheap out this time around without embarrassing themselves in a huge way.

I don't think fans should worry too much about player retention or a rebuild. That is happening in any scenario. There will be a minimum of 7 new players & as many as 9 or 10. Even the list of the best players that can come back only has 1-2 that qualify as no doubt starters on a top level A-10 team. I am all for continuity & corporate culture but those are the facts at this moment.

VBC wrote:

I've been a staunch supporter of Keith since he was hired.  I was hoping he would stay for another year or two but with Donna now joining my late mother as a survivor I am certain he's making the right decision for his family.  Best wishes in retirement!

I am hoping that Dru Joyce is named our new head coach shortly after our last game of the season.  He'll keep us on a successful path.  I'll be very surprised and very disappointed if he is not our next head coach. 

3/18/2024 4:19 pm  #107

When Dru Joyce was hired as associate head coach it seemed apparent to me that he was being put in line as Keith's replacement.  So from my seat behind the Dukes bench I've been watching him to gauge how the players interact with him as well as whatever I can observe.  I see him as a coach who is completely engaged with both the offense and defense during the games and who is liked and respected by the players.  Plus he's got KD's endorsement and that goes a long way with me.

As far as hiring a "well regarded known entity with players" just who do you suggest this could be?  Do you mean a veteran coach from a lower conference like 7 years ago when we hired Keith? Or a recently fired retread like Travis Ford?  I certainly hope you don't mean an alcoholic acquaintance of mine who's older than me and of low integrity.  No, give me Dru, I think he's our best bet for continued success. 

With that being said, if they do go another route I'll be very disappointed but my support for the program and for the new coach will not waiver.

3/18/2024 4:25 pm  #108

phil95 wrote:

Seems like an answer is coming soon.

Do we get an immediate announcement of Dru's promotion or the standard "a national search will begin immediately" line?

The search has to go fast with portal-mania already in full swing.

I agree that the successor needs to be identified as soon as possible. I hope it is Dru, if for no other reason that I think it will help prevent out-migration. The returning players (and there is lots of talent there) would not have to worry about who might come in, what totally different schemes to which they might have to adapt. Some degree of stability is needed. 

3/18/2024 4:34 pm  #109

VBC wrote:

When Dru Joyce was hired as associate head coach it seemed apparent to me that he was being put in line as Keith's replacement.  So from my seat behind the Dukes bench I've been watching him to gauge how the players interact with him as well as whatever I can observe.  I see him as a coach who is completely engaged with both the offense and defense during the games and who is liked and respected by the players.  Plus he's got KD's endorsement and that goes a long way with me.

As far as hiring a "well regarded known entity with players" just who do you suggest this could be?  Do you mean a veteran coach from a lower conference like 7 years ago when we hired Keith? Or a recently fired retread like Travis Ford?  I certainly hope you don't mean an alcoholic acquaintance of mine who's older than me and of low integrity.  No, give me Dru, I think he's our best bet for continued success. 

With that being said, if they do go another route I'll be very disappointed but my support for the program and for the new coach will not waiver.

The list is long.  There are many, many up and coming college basketball head coaches who would not have considered Duquesne last week. But, things MAY have changed.  If NIL money rolls in a coach may now see Duquesne as a place to go to get to the NCAA tournament.  I’m not going to name names but just google a list of up and comers. We aren’t hiring someone to resurrect a program anymore. I think DU should consider all options.  Dru would be a great hire. But there may be an exceptional hire out there interested now that wasn’t interested before.

3/18/2024 5:56 pm  #110

Not to try to tell anyone “how it is”, but I don’t think older posters may realize the impact Joyce can have on this program. All of the recruiting draws and interest the Lebron relationship has garnered for Keith (exclusive Nike deal, new arena, credibility etc) will be doubled or tripled with Joyce. This is Lebrons childhood best friend. He is young, was a great player, and ran teams in the ncaa tourney and professionally in Europe. I don’t know if he can coach yet, but I expect the recruiting to take another significant jump under him and with this years success.

Kd loves him and seems to want to give him the platform. I think if Joyce becomes coach, we will see Lebron at a game. His ceiling to me is enormous and he has been here, knows the system and current players. If anyone will get the young guys to stay it’s him. Joyce is the obvious choice for me and I think he gets the job. Leaving Vegas up a lot of money and booking Omaha! Go Dukes!

3/18/2024 6:01 pm  #111

I think Phil is right, next season is an overhaul of much of the roster anyway and Duquesne should look more attractive as a place to stay for the potentially returning talent regardless of who coaches.  And, as Styles also points out, the Duquesne job may suddenly apeal to candidates were not previously intetested.  I don't know who those candidates are, but I bet Dave Harper does.  If the job hasn't already been promised to Coach Joyce, then I submit that the university is in a better position to attract "Mr Right" than it has been for almost 50 years.  If it is determined that Dru Joyce is "Mr. Right" , then i will support that as well. 
Thanks Coach Dambrot and staff  for putting us in this position and happy retirement. Although, I hope, your team causes you to work until eclipse day.

3/18/2024 6:14 pm  #112

VBC wrote:

I agree with this 100 percent.  I have no doubt Dru will be our next coach, and I think he is a great choice.  If you listen to the press conference today President Gormley hinted at that when talking about the Dambrot era continuing.  The decision has been made or they would have announced a coaching search.

3/18/2024 6:24 pm  #113

There is no doubt that the university & Harper have had professionals coach shopping for months. As recently as 6 weeks ago KD would not have had the option to return had he wanted to.

Duques102 is correct on all his points. Those reasons are as important to me as to why I would support the hiring of Dru Joyce with some enthusiasm. 

However, DJ's lack of head coaching experience coupled with the Dukes' recently raised profile as a coaching destination demands that all reasonable options be considered.

Another plus for DJ is that he is now a member of the very impressive KD coaching tree. It is worth considering that there are at least 3 really good coaches from that group that have done as well or better than their mentor.

3/18/2024 6:57 pm  #114

phil95 wrote:

There is no doubt that the university & Harper have had professionals coach shopping for months. As recently as 6 weeks ago KD would not have had the option to return had he wanted to.

Duques102 is correct on all his points. Those reasons are as important to me as to why I would support the hiring of Dru Joyce with some enthusiasm. 

However, DJ's lack of head coaching experience coupled with the Dukes' recently raised profile as a coaching destination demands that all reasonable options be considered.

Another plus for DJ is that he is now a member of the very impressive KD coaching tree. It is worth considering that there are at least 3 really good coaches from that group that have done as well or better than their mentor.

As I pointed out before. It takes two years for a new coach to have ever been on all A-10 courts to know how to compete. . Dru has been there with this team, and with this HC. Dru was, not only, an Asst. at other schools, but a Pro for years and, of course, Lebron's team mate.  Every Head Coach started somewhere. I would be 100 percent behind Dru.

3/18/2024 7:44 pm  #115

In recent years several A-10 schools generally have hired very good coaches that got things rolling early. Some of them are youngsters or first-timers & others had strong careers before ending up at their present jobs. It truly sucked that it took KD 7 years to make any real noise & I am not interested in it taking 4-5 years for more magic in March. Not everybody needs 2 years in the league to get their feet under them.

This isn't an argument against DJ. It is an argument in favor of seeing who else can be hired.

-VCU's Odom just made the A-10 Tournament final & the NIT in his first A-10 year.
-Drew Valentine just won the A-10 regular season title & made the NIT in his 2nd A-10 season.
-Frank Martin at UMass just went 20-11 in his 2nd A-10 season & made the NIT
-Anthony Grant went 21-12 in his second A-10 season & went to the NIT
-Keith Urgo's first year at Fordham saw him win a national first time head coach of the year award, NABC District 4 Coach of the Year & A-10 coach of the year with a 25-8 record 

NapaDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

As I pointed out before. It takes two years for a new coach to have ever been on all A-10 courts to know how to compete. . Dru has been there with this team, and with this HC. Dru was, not only, an Asst. at other schools, but a Pro for years and, of course, Lebron's team mate.  Every Head Coach started somewhere. I would be 100 percent behind Dru.

Last edited by phil95 (3/18/2024 7:45 pm)

3/18/2024 7:48 pm  #116

From just listening to Dru on the post-game shows, he knows what the game plan was and was instrumental in forming it and carrying it out.  He also seemed to have a handle on game time adjustments. 

Don’t make the same mistake we made when we didn’t hire Jarrett Durham as the obvious successor to a newer winning tradition.

This coaching tree now has roots.

Last edited by coffee (3/18/2024 7:49 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/18/2024 7:51 pm  #117

phil95 wrote:

In recent years several A-10 schools generally have hired very good coaches that got things rolling early. Some of them are youngsters or first-timers & others had strong careers before ending up at their present jobs. It truly sucked that it took KD 7 years to make any real noise & I am not interested in it taking 4-5 years for more magic in March. Not everybody needs 2 years in the league to get their feet under them.

This isn't an argument against DJ. It is an argument in favor of seeing who else can be hired.

-VCU's Odom just made the A-10 Tournament final & the NIT in his first A-10 year.
-Drew Valentine just won the A-10 regular season title & made the NIT in his 2nd A-10 season.
-Frank Martin at UMass just went 20-11 in his 2nd A-10 season & made the NIT
-Anthony Grant went 21-12 in his second A-10 season & went to the NIT
-Keith Urgo's first year at Fordham saw him win a national first time head coach of the year award, NABC District 4 Coach of the Year & A-10 coach of the year with a 25-8 record 

NapaDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Good post. DU should take a look, and if there is someone that can not just match, but exceed hiring Dru, then they should consider, but just an observation, none of these other schools had a qualified asst. in waiting like Dru. 

3/18/2024 8:11 pm  #118

Slightly off topic: There are already over 430 players in the portal. Includes SLU's Sincere Parker and Umass's Cohen. It's going to be wild.

3/18/2024 8:51 pm  #119

I believe Dru deserves the chance to prove himself as a head coach.  I would not look anywhere else.  Phil95 referenced KD's coaching tree which includes Shaka Smart and Lamont Paris.  KD never passes up an opportunity to praise Dru.   That's good enough for me.  Go elsewhere for a high profile coach and you most likely will take a step back for a year or two.  Looking for a big name proven winner?  How about Will Wade?  It wouldn't be the first coach we hired from McNeese State.  But, hires like that can bring a lot of risk.  No thanks.  Stick with Dru.

3/18/2024 9:06 pm  #120

indygjm wrote:

I believe Dru deserves the chance to prove himself as a head coach.  I would not look anywhere else.  Phil95 referenced KD's coaching tree which includes Shaka Smart and Lamont Paris.  KD never passes up an opportunity to praise Dru.   That's good enough for me.  Go elsewhere for a high profile coach and you most likely will take a step back for a year or two.  Looking for a big name proven winner?  How about Will Wade?  It wouldn't be the first coach we hired from McNeese State.  But, hires like that can bring a lot of risk.  No thanks.  Stick with Dru.

Why do you believe that there is no/less risk with Dru?  I’m really surprised posters are so gung ho on not entertaining the idea of a higher profile coach. We are in a great spot here. Dru might be a great hire but he’s more risky than a proven commodity that’s for sure. I would contend Jim Feery had a better resume than Dru and we all know how that turned out.

3/19/2024 1:02 am  #121

Tony84 wrote:

I think Phil is right, next season is an overhaul of much of the roster anyway and Duquesne should look more attractive as a place to stay for the potentially returning talent regardless of who coaches.  And, as Styles also points out, the Duquesne job may suddenly apeal to candidates were not previously intetested.  I don't know who those candidates are, but I bet Dave Harper does.  If the job hasn't already been promised to Coach Joyce, then I submit that the university is in a better position to attract "Mr Right" than it has been for almost 50 years.  If it is determined that Dru Joyce is "Mr. Right" , then i will support that as well. .

I agree 100%. I am overjoyed at making the tournament. It’s a great parting gift for Coach D, as I think the players have known this was coming for awhile and were playing for him. We need to take advantage of all this good publicity though.

We can’t recruit without a coach, so we should be going after the best coaches we can. If they are good enough for us to target them, they’re probably still coaching but we can at least gauge their interest. I don’t know who those coaches are, or the process for asking without asking. As you said Dave Harper does though.

If the interest isn’t there from the impact coaches, or if they decide Joyce is the best candidate, I’d support his hire 100%. It shouldn’t be assumed or automatic though. Promoting him truly keeps the “Dambrot era” going. Anyone who has sat near the bench at all during his time here knows how involved he has been, but also how in step he and Dambrot are. His promotion also likely keeps the non-seniors at Duquesne. This is as close knit a team as I have ever seen on the bluff, and he is definitely a big part of that. It also allows us to get back on the recruiting trail, and should keep the recruits we’ve been going after already interested.

I think Harper answered the question perfectly, because today should be about Dambrot and what he has accomplished. While I was certainly critical of him at times, I always recognized how much he advanced the program. Even if they lost to St. Louis in the first game in Brooklyn, the program would be much better off and more attractive than when he came.

I also think he answered that way to be coy though. I don’t think Joyce will just be handed the reigns whenever we lose in the tourney. He doesn’t want to say that publicly though because it would discourage the staff and players who I think all want him to get the job.

Ultimately I think Coach Joyce does get the job. It wasn’t hard to read between the lines at the presser today when Dambrot was asked about his successor and immediately looked right at Dru. I think everyone wants to keep Dambrot involved even after his coaching days are over, and hiring Joyce is the best way to do that.

I expect it will be after at least a cursory search process though, and possibly even bringing in outside candidates to interview. While I’ve been very critical of some of his underlings, Harper is an excellent AD and I’m confident he’ll handle it the right way.

Last edited by luckymcd (3/19/2024 1:12 am)

3/19/2024 8:45 am  #122

I agree we now have some attraction now for coaches, but, I think we have some juice now as far as the portal is concerned too. We should be a buyer and not a seller. The sooner we can hit it with a coach and a system in place, the better. Getting into the coach scramble can only delay things. 

3/23/2024 10:32 am  #123

After conversations with a number of people way  closer to the program than I will ever be, I would say that there is a 99% chance this is Dru's job.

3/23/2024 3:07 pm  #124

Rumor has it another local guy may be available, Coach Calipari may think hard about coming here.  There, I threw my BS rant into the arena, now I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the Dukes TONIGHT, and worry about the future tomorrow.

3/23/2024 5:44 pm  #125

Prince of Pilsner wrote:

Rumor has it another local guy may be available, Coach Calipari may think hard about coming here.  There, I threw my BS rant into the arena, now I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the Dukes TONIGHT, and worry about the future tomorrow.

My vote is Dru. A lot of this late season surge has to be in some way be part Dru. Right now with this National exposure and the players coming back next year and building on this run and it's KD's coaching legacy all depend on Dru taking over.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/23/2024 10:02 pm)

Board footera