Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2024 8:05 pm  #1

Playing BYU......

Hey, at least the bars won't be crowded! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/17/2024 8:52 pm  #2

Re: Playing BYU......

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Hey, at least the bars won't be crowded! 

That's so funny. Good one. LOL.

3/17/2024 9:04 pm  #3

Nor will Starbucks

3/18/2024 9:23 am  #4

You will find us at the local Dairy Queen.

3/18/2024 4:59 pm  #5

BYU Dad wrote:

You will find us at the local Dairy Queen.

Hey, this Catholic likes Dairy Queen, too! See you there!

3/18/2024 5:22 pm  #6

Speaking of ice cream, that Millie's ice cream that is available at Cooper Fieldhouse is delicious!  I'm a lover of rich, high end ice cream and Millie's is the absolute best vanilla ice cream that I've ever had.  I've also had their chocolate and cookies & cream which are also great, but the vanilla is best ever to me. 

3/18/2024 5:24 pm  #7

Since we have some BYU interloping happening, let’s talk strategy.  The Dukes strength is strong guard play and a smothering defense. The Dukes like to make everything you do very hard. The guards are experienced and skilled shooters but are apt to go cold at times. The Dukes don’t score in the paint with the regularity that they like but still try to get it into the post. The guards make this team go. Whether driving and dumping to a big for an easy bucket, driving and kicking to the perimeter, or taking it to the rim.  Teams have been successful against the Dukes when they blitz the guards and frustrate them

Let us know something about BYU!  I haven’t seen them play

Last edited by Styles1229 (3/18/2024 5:24 pm)

3/18/2024 5:26 pm  #8

VBC wrote:

Speaking of ice cream, that Millie's ice cream that is available at Cooper Fieldhouse is delicious!  I'm a lover of rich, high end ice cream and Millie's is the absolute best vanilla ice cream that I've ever had.  I've also had their chocolate and cookies & cream which are also great, but the vanilla is best ever to me. 

Do you own Millie’s, VBC??  😂

3/18/2024 5:27 pm  #9

Styles1229 wrote:

VBC wrote:

Do you own Millie’s, VBC?? 😂

LOL!  No, I don't, it's just good stuff!

3/18/2024 5:35 pm  #10

Styles1229 wrote:

Since we have some BYU interloping happening, let’s talk strategy. The Dukes strength is strong guard play and a smothering defense. The Dukes like to make everything you do very hard. The guards are experienced and skilled shooters but are apt to go cold at times. The Dukes don’t score in the paint with the regularity that they like but still try to get it into the post. The guards make this team go. Whether driving and dumping to a big for an easy bucket, driving and kicking to the perimeter, or taking it to the rim. Teams have been successful against the Dukes when they blitz the guards and frustrate them

Let us know something about BYU! I haven’t seen them play

Our Fousseyni can beat their Fousseyni.

3/18/2024 5:45 pm  #11

They live and die by the three. Not saying we're are equal to Iowa State, but great defense will stop this team in it's tracks. We just can't have 8+ mins of zero points on Thursday or we'll be toast. But I think their lack of defense will help in that regard. Heck I think we have a better D than Texas Tech and that was enough to beat em. A 12 net ranking is nothing to sniff at, and being in the big 12 definitely helps with that, but I think if we play our game and come out like we did against VCU, they'll be shookith. I'm definitely betting us first to 15 though. Dae Dae and Jimmy will come out firing.

3/19/2024 10:19 am  #12

Styles1229 wrote:

Since we have some BYU interloping happening, let’s talk strategy. The Dukes strength is strong guard play and a smothering defense. The Dukes like to make everything you do very hard. The guards are experienced and skilled shooters but are apt to go cold at times. The Dukes don’t score in the paint with the regularity that they like but still try to get it into the post. The guards make this team go. Whether driving and dumping to a big for an easy bucket, driving and kicking to the perimeter, or taking it to the rim. Teams have been successful against the Dukes when they blitz the guards and frustrate them

Hi from Utah, I thought this video explains well what we are trying to do on offense. Good luck to both teams!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yatw8jGCJs

3/19/2024 11:13 am  #13

BYUGuy wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

Hi from Utah, I thought this video explains well what we are trying to do on offense. Good luck to both teams!

Like The Exorcist, I wish I hadn’t watched that.  I will try to pull 2 positives from this:

1. If BYU comes out cold, it does not look like they are prepared to grind out a win - they’ll just keep shooting.

2. Maybe the competitive spirits of Jimmy and Dae Dae will win the day.  They can trade 3s all afternoon.

3/19/2024 12:28 pm  #14

Styles1229 wrote:

BYUGuy wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

Like The Exorcist, I wish I hadn’t watched that. I will try to pull 2 positives from this:

1. If BYU comes out cold, it does not look like they are prepared to grind out a win - they’ll just keep shooting.

2. Maybe the competitive spirits of Jimmy and Dae Dae will win the day. They can trade 3s all afternoon.

During the season, when we have missed, that is when we have lost. I imagine this is true of almost all teams, but certainly of us. I am a season ticket holder and have enjoyed the evolution of this BYU team throughout the season. Everyone knows that we are going to shoot a lot of threes, but I think one thing that has surprised people is how well we rebound. In almost every game, we have outrebounded our opponents, and are very aggressive on the offensive boards. We are also very physical, and that surprises folks. We will be pushing the envelope on D and be up and into your guys throughout the game, making the refs choose pretty quickly how they want to call the game. The games in Provo against Houston and Iowa State and SDSU felt like 20 round boxing matches where each time a shot went up, there was a literal wrestling match. I imagine this game will be very similar with your team's defensive orientation and style. It should be a very fun game.

3/19/2024 1:19 pm  #15

BYUGuy wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

BYUGuy wrote:

Like The Exorcist, I wish I hadn’t watched that. I will try to pull 2 positives from this:

2. Maybe the competitive spirits of Jimmy and Dae Dae will win the day. They can trade 3s all afternoon.

During the season, when we have missed, that is when we have lost. I imagine this is true of almost all teams, but certainly of us. I am a season ticket holder and have enjoyed the evolution of this BYU team throughout the season. Everyone knows that we are going to shoot a lot of threes, but I think one thing that has surprised people is how well we rebound. In almost every game, we have outrebounded our opponents, and are very aggressive on the offensive boards. We are also very physical, and that surprises folks. We will be pushing the envelope on D and be up and into your guys throughout the game, making the refs choose pretty quickly how they want to call the game. The games in Provo against Houston and Iowa State and SDSU felt like 20 round boxing matches where each time a shot went up, there was a literal wrestling match. I imagine this game will be very similar with your team's defensive orientation and style. It should be a very fun game.

Love this.  Exactly the type of analysis I was mining for.  As to the refs, we enjoyed the same light whistles in our tourney. I would love to see that continue.  Call the hard fouls but let some contact go - let the boys play.  And you can expect at least a couple of fouls while shooting the 3. Our guys are prone to do that.  Should be a fun one. Thanks for showing up on the board and giving us something to chew on.

3/19/2024 3:02 pm  #16

BYUGuy wrote:

Everyone knows that we are going to shoot a lot of threes, but I think one thing that has surprised people is how well we rebound. In almost every game, we have outrebounded our opponents, and are very aggressive on the offensive boards. We are also very physical, and that surprises folks. We will be pushing the envelope on D and be up and into your guys throughout the game, making the refs choose pretty quickly how they want to call the game. The games in Provo against Houston and Iowa State and SDSU felt like 20 round boxing matches where each time a shot went up, there was a literal wrestling match. I imagine this game will be very similar with your team's defensive orientation and style. It should be a very fun game.

I only saw the Baylor and UCF games not knowing the Dukes would playing the Cougars, but I came away very impressed with your team. Khalifa was especially impressive, but doesn’t seem to get any attention. You just don’t see big men who can pass like that.

As for the wrestling matches you mentioned, even our coach has come to call the Dukes at their best “mud wrestling.” This game is being billed as the classic matchup of great offense vs. great defense. That overlooks the fact that we can put up points in bunches too; and you guys can play some tough D.

Unfortunately I have to admit I think your defense is better than our offense. So if I was looking at it objectively I’d lean towards the Cougs. If you can pardon the usage though, this Dukes team is on a mission. I’ve learned to stop doubting them.

Last edited by luckymcd (3/19/2024 3:09 pm)

3/19/2024 4:28 pm  #17

Wow, there are a lot of similarities between the two teams.  Looks like they'll be clashing heads.  BYU is a taller, beefier team than the Dukes which could be a problem for us...when we're both going for rebounds.

3/19/2024 6:19 pm  #18

gjgsr wrote:

Wow, there are a lot of similarities between the two teams.  Looks like they'll be clashing heads.  BYU is a taller, beefier team than the Dukes which could be a problem for us...when we're both going for rebounds.

Missed shot from 3's are so far out from the paint, that bigs don't matter. BYU won at home with 3's,  but lost on the road. as when they missed 3's on the road all season, bigs don't get those rebounds, but quicker forwards and guards do. The Drame's and DeMichelle let alone Clark are always in the right place to get those  rebounds and run to transition baskets. This will be a different game then the BYE fans expect. The Dukes will win this one. Just saying. Side note? How did they let this BYU team in the NCAA  and miss Pitt? 

3/19/2024 6:57 pm  #19

NapaDuke wrote:

gjgsr wrote:

Missed shot from 3's are so far out from the paint, that bigs don't matter. BYU won at home with 3's,  but lost on the road. as when they missed 3's on the road all season, bigs don't get those rebounds, but quicker forwards and guards do. The Drame's and DeMichelle let alone Clark are always in the right place to get those  rebounds and run to transition baskets. This will be a different game then the BYE fans expect. The Dukes will win this one. Just saying. Side note? How did they let this BYU team in the NCAA  and miss Pitt? 

Geez Napa, I hope that last comment was a joke.  BYU ended up being underseeded; you can make a strong case that they should have been a 4 seed.  Every metric has them as a solid Top 15/20 team.  ESP.

3/19/2024 9:29 pm  #20

I've been watching the Dukes highlights and a few games and respect your team. This won't be a complete cakewalk for BYU.

BYU has been playing against Big 12 teams for a season now. BYU is a whole new level of basketball than even a year ago. Even most BYU fans were surprised how the team did in it's first season in the new league. We came in and dominated teams like Kansas and Iowa State.

3/20/2024 10:33 am  #21

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

gjgsr wrote:

Geez Napa, I hope that last comment was a joke.  BYU ended up being underseeded; you can make a strong case that they should have been a 4 seed.  Every metric has them as a solid Top 15/20 team.  ESP.

I didn't phrase that right. Yes, BYU deserved to get in, but look at Clemson, NC State and Virginia got in and Pitt finished ahead of Clemson and NC State and 4th in the ACC. BYU lost to Texas tech and they are a 6th too.  Pitt better put DU and WV back on their schedule if the metrics matter more than standings and league results. 

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/20/2024 10:37 am)

3/20/2024 10:46 am  #22

NapaDuke wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

I didn't phrase that right. Yes, BYU deserved to get in, but look at Clemson, NC State and Virginia got in and Pitt finished ahead of Clemson and NC State and 4th in the ACC. BYU lost to Texas tech and they are a 6th too.  Pitt better put DU and WV back on their schedule if the metrics matter more than standings and league results. 

Honestly, BYU was the team that was robbed. We should've been a higher seed playing in Salt Lake. BYU came in and dominated the Big 12 beating teams like Kansas and Iowa State. We should've beat Houston but the refs completely botched a call at the end of the game giving the game away.

3/20/2024 11:28 am  #23

BYU seems to be outstanding,Dukes need to neutralize BYU on boards,keep from getting into foul trouble,
and control tempo of game.

3/20/2024 11:41 pm  #24

stew wrote:

BYU seems to be outstanding,Dukes need to neutralize BYU on boards,keep from getting into foul trouble,

That is just not going to happen.

3/21/2024 10:02 pm  #25

BYU Dad wrote:

stew wrote:

That is just not going to happen.

This aged poorly.

Board footera