Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2024 2:39 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Brigham Young University Cougars (NCAA TOURNAMENT)

luckymcd wrote:

That sounds fantastic! I hope the Panthers heard the sirens in Oakland, rub it in it a bit. Hopefully a lot of those fans are still fans in November too. It is pretty funny how many Duquesne fans have popped up out of nowhere in the past couple days.

On your Dukes fans popping up out of nowhere comment, I hear you.  I saw a comment on Facebook from a class of 1988 alum and my immediate thought was WTF, you M****f*****r!  The last time I saw you at a game was at Consol for the City Game 10 years or so ago and you were dressed in blue and gold and cheering for the lowlifes from up the street.  Some Dukes fan you are!  Crawl back under your rock!

3/19/2024 2:48 pm  #27

VBC wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

That sounds fantastic! I hope the Panthers heard the sirens in Oakland, rub it in it a bit. Hopefully a lot of those fans are still fans in November too. It is pretty funny how many Duquesne fans have popped up out of nowhere in the past couple days.

On your Dukes fans popping up out of nowhere comment, I hear you.  I saw a comment on Facebook from a class of 1988 alum and my immediate thought was WTF, you M****f*****r!  The last time I saw you at a game was at Consol for the City Game 10 years or so ago and you were dressed in blue and gold and cheering for the lowlifes from up the street.  Some Dukes fan you are!  Crawl back under your rock!

We'll see a lot more media and fans next season and they'll stay if we keep up the good work. No reason to gatekeep being a fan of the boys on the Bluff! Unless they are primarily Pitt fans, THEN they can get sh!t-talked. 

3/19/2024 2:50 pm  #28

I can see we are getting pretty revved up!!!!!!
The important thing is that we are in Omaha with a puncher's chance to advance.
Congrats to KD, staff, and players for a great finish to the season!!
Great fun!
I also want to wish KD and Donna all the best and many happy years together!!
Really more significant than the game to me.
Having said that...GO DUKES..BEAT BYU's BRAINS OUT!!!!!!

3/19/2024 2:55 pm  #29

BluffHunter wrote:

VBC wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

We'll see a lot more media and fans next season and they'll stay if we keep up the good work. No reason to gatekeep being a fan of the boys on the Bluff! Unless they are primarily Pitt fans, THEN they can get sh!t-talked. 

When you show up wearing the opponent's colors and actively cheer for them against us I will remember it and hold a grudge forever.

3/19/2024 4:17 pm  #30

For those in Omaha, the Dukes have an open practice tomorrow at 11AM. Don't ask me eastern or central time, iguess I'd assume central, but admission and parking are both free.

Last edited by BluffHunter (3/19/2024 4:17 pm)

3/19/2024 7:06 pm  #31

The Dukes are a different team these last 4 games. They are faster, more offensive and are hitting 3's early and as often as BYU in each first half  to win the A-10. This  team is playing their best of this entire season  in tourney time, when most teams get tight and lock up, this team is running loose. Gormley said as an inside joke that the Drame's on the plane keep everyone entertained. Those two guys made it to the elite eight playing for St. Petes  These Dukes have too much talent to not win. Just saying.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/20/2024 12:58 pm)

3/19/2024 7:31 pm  #32

NapaDuke wrote:

Let me leave you with this. The Dukes are a different team these last 4 games. They are faster, more offensive and are hitting 3's early and as often as BYU in each first half  to win the A-10. This  team is playing their best of this entire season  in tourney time, when most teams get tight and lock up, this team is running loose. Gormley said as an inside joke that the Drame's on the plane keep everyone entertained. Those two guys made it to the elite eight playing for St. Petes  These Dukes have too much talent to not win. Just saying.

KD remarked this week that his whole career he was always trying so hard to get to the tournament and that he never enjoyed himself during the games. He said that this time (A10 tourney) he just let it go and just tried to have fun.  It was clear during the games when he was smiling, giving high fives to the players, and not losing his mind at every little mistake or bad call.  And the team played so much better.  He knows this is the end, he’ll be loose just like he was in Brooklyn and I’m counting on the team also being loose.  They have played so much better with this nice, fun, KD on the sidelines.  No reason to think anything will change on Thursday

3/19/2024 9:18 pm  #33

Styles1229 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Let me leave you with this. The Dukes are a different team these last 4 games. They are faster, more offensive and are hitting 3's early and as often as BYU in each first half  to win the A-10. This  team is playing their best of this entire season  in tourney time, when most teams get tight and lock up, this team is running loose. Gormley said as an inside joke that the Drame's on the plane keep everyone entertained. Those two guys made it to the elite eight playing for St. Petes  These Dukes have too much talent to not win. Just saying.

KD remarked this week that his whole career he was always trying so hard to get to the tournament and that he never enjoyed himself during the games. He said that this time (A10 tourney) he just let it go and just tried to have fun. It was clear during the games when he was smiling, giving high fives to the players, and not losing his mind at every little mistake or bad call. And the team played so much better. He knows this is the end, he’ll be loose just like he was in Brooklyn and I’m counting on the team also being loose. They have played so much better with this nice, fun, KD on the sidelines. No reason to think anything will change on Thursday

Great observation. KD said did say before the A-10 tourney started, he just wanted the kids to have fun, and they did  and won.

3/20/2024 9:06 am  #34

https://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe/_/id/39758928/endcard/false

St Joe Brackets, if he said that about pitt their fans might burn his house down.   

Last edited by townsonkid (3/20/2024 9:10 am)

3/20/2024 9:21 am  #35

Tidbit:  Former Duke Bayley Steele played for Mark Pope (BYU’s coach) at Utah Valley before transferring to Dambrot’s Dukes.

3/20/2024 9:24 am  #36

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Tidbit: Former Duke Bayley Steele played for Mark Pope (BYU’s coach) at Utah Valley before transferring to Dambrot’s Dukes.

Saw on Facebook, his mom is going to Omaha to cheer on the Dukes.

Last edited by MikeR (3/20/2024 9:25 am)

3/20/2024 10:33 am  #37

3/20/2024 10:51 am  #38

Fantastic article. I remember after a game this season, maybe the Davidson loss, Dambrot said that he wished everybody on the team could play with the same intensity as Jake. As he got minutes and Duquesne kept winning his style of play single handedly challenged the rest of the team to play at that level. He is one of the biggest reasons this run was possible.

3/20/2024 12:09 pm  #39

Less than 24 hours until tip!!! 

3/20/2024 12:10 pm  #40

Props to channel 4, WTAE for their coverage of the Dukes.   Lots of nice video on their site, and they are sending Andrew Stockey out to Omaha.   Channel 2 kdka is staring at the Capel cam to see if he sneezes, and Rich Walsh cries on twitter.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/20/2024 12:11 pm)

3/20/2024 1:27 pm  #41

3/20/2024 1:55 pm  #42

https://x.com/mitch_harper/status/1770496639205027872?s=46

BYU Center Atiki Ally Atiki was filmed limping and did not participate in practice today. Khalifa, who is recovering from an injury but was listed probable, did practice. Atiki is 6’10 and averages 4 pts and 3 rbs a game. Shoots 62%.

3/20/2024 6:23 pm  #43

BluffHunter wrote:

BYU Center Atiki Ally Atiki was filmed limping and did not participate in practice today. Khalifa, who is recovering from an injury but was listed probable, did practice. Atiki is 6’10 and averages 4 pts and 3 rbs a game. Shoots 62%.

Dukes could win if this dude is hurt and he plays, it's like most upsets, playing a hurt player makes that happen. But the real X-factor is KD. At the end of this season, his players are going over the top for their coach. We don't have to win to make this season special, but this game is in reach. Go Dukes.

3/20/2024 7:06 pm  #44

NapaDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Dukes could win if this dude is hurt and he plays, it's like most upsets, playing a hurt player makes that happen. But the real X-factor is KD. At the end of this season, his players are going over the top for their coach. We don't have to win to make this season special, but this game is in reach. Go Dukes.

Agree. If the Dukes keep playing that hard nosed defense, close out on the 3 point shooters, box out, hit the open looks, grab the loose balls. The Dukes can blow by them if they want to speed em up. We got this!

3/20/2024 7:23 pm  #45

BluffHunter wrote:

I'm already pacing 

3/20/2024 7:29 pm  #46

Rayrich wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

I'm already pacing 

lol.   Me too.  I legitimately am so happy for the entire school and community and everyone on this board.  We fight and Complain at times.   But this has been great.   

I honestly didn’t believe I would ever see this at age 61.   Go Dukes.

3/20/2024 7:43 pm  #47

DuqBlue wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

I'm already pacing 

lol. Me too. I legitimately am so happy for the entire school and community and everyone on this board. We fight and Complain at times. But this has been great.

I honestly didn’t believe I would ever see this at age 61. Go Dukes.

Me either at age 59. It's been an awesome experience. So happy for everyone on this board as well, even the ones who find me annoying at times, and rightfully so. Go Dukes! 

3/20/2024 7:43 pm  #48

KD's dad Sid played on the 1953 Dukes team that beat BYU, the last time we played them. You can't make this stuff up.

3/20/2024 7:50 pm  #49

3/20/2024 9:58 pm  #50

NapaDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

FYI - Atiki Ally Atiki is BYU's third big man who has been getting only spot minutes during conference play (he already had an injured hand that will require off-season surgery.  Not having Atiki for the game only means less bench rest for Fouss and Ali Khalifa. Ali Khalifa is BYU's starting center, and though he sat out the second half of our second-round conference tournament loss with a sore ankle, he is expected to play against the Dukes.

Board footera