Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2024 11:50 am  #1

The case for Bronny James to Transfer to Duquesne

Let me start by saying that I would not put money on this happening (yet) and I don't mean to falsely get others hopes up, but I do want to layout the case for why Bronny James transferring to Duquesne and why there might be some smoke here

I want to start with yesterday's events because its the first time I actually believed that this could happen.

So yesterday evening a legitimate cbb reporter tweets that Bronny has entered the pool. This story immediately goes viral, gets picked up by aggregators, and becomes the #1 trending topic for the entire night. For the next few hours no other reporter confirms or denies the report. Eventually the reporter deletes the tweet and says it is just his guess and not his report. 

This could be where the story ends. However, LeBron actually does address the story in a post game press conference. You can watch the video here https://x.com/ClutchPoints/status/1775351553374757333?s=20
Some notes on the video:

1) LeBron does not actually deny that Bronny might enter the portal, he just says he doesn't know where that report came from

2) his follow up is that Bronny has to make some tough decisions and that he'll support those decisions

So while Bronny is not yet in the portal, you really don't get the sense that its a final decision. LeBron essentially tells us that Bronny has to and is thinking about his future and where he will play. 

The next part is why I'm starting to consider the possibility that there's smoke to this fire:

So after LeBron 1) Acknowledges this top story of the night (Bronny potentially transferring) and 2) essentially says Bronny has some tough decisions about his future that he needs to make right now, what does he do? He quotes tweets a Duquense BBall tweet that says "Family is Everything" containing a pic of Dru and his family with "IT SURE IS!!!! "

This is important for a couple reasons:
1) As stated above, LeBron has acknowledged the story about Bronny transferring. He knows its the biggest story of the night. 

2) LeBron is a notorious sub-tweeter. There are many examples of him doing this in the past. He is very aware that people are paying attention to what he tweets and looking for deeper meaning. You can see this by checking the quote tweets on LeBron tweets where it's all people taking the tweet as a message of Bronny going to Duquesne...these random people quote tweeting doesn't mean that it will happen, but it just shows how people interpret LeBron's tweets because of his past subtweeting. 

So that's the main reason why I think this might happen. I just don't see LeBron tweeting that with everything going on in the hours before (which again, we know he is aware of) without realizing people are going to make interpretations. Further, I don't see him trolling people at Dru's expense and bringing this false attention to Dru's program.  

Additionally, LeBron's quote tweet of "it sure is" is kind of an odd choice if its just showing support. In the past, his tweets supporting Dru have been very clear in the message of pure support and admiration. The quote tweet last night actually brings LeBron into the fold of the original tweet. Its active engagement. 

So what are the other supporting reasons for why this might happen?

1) Bronny's freshman year was obviously a disappointment and has put the pressure on Bronny. There is no coach in the country that is going to ride with Bronny no matter what the way Dru will.  He can go to a big school like OSU or Oregon or he can go to small CA school at Duquesne level, but no coach is going to have the loyalty and best interest of Bronny the way Dru will. There is without a doubt not a single coach LeBron trusts more with Bronny than Dru.  

2) He could follow Enfeld to SMU but 1) do we actually know good that relationship is? Is it really one where he will follow him no matter what? especially after that disappointing season? 2) Enfeld is a recruiter. SMU is a smaller program but Enfeld could bring in bigger prospects which is not in the best interest of Bronny. He needs somewhere he can play. 

3) LeBron's support and acknowledgement of Duquesne is at an all time high. More tweets than ever, announcing the hire, and he mentioned the Dukes in his most recent JJ Reddick pod about scouting the illinois game to give Dru and KD his notes. LeBron's always shown some support for Duquense with KD being here but not like this. 

So there they are. The reasons why I think there might be smoke here. That or I'm just the Charlie Kelly conspiracy meme. 

Last edited by TheActualDuke (4/03/2024 12:15 pm)

4/03/2024 12:12 pm  #2

Re: The case for Bronny James to Transfer to Duquesne

Dan Le Betard is talking about Bronny to Duquesne on espn today... what a time to be a Dukes fan.

4/03/2024 1:14 pm  #3

Pat MacAfee show today segment about Bronny officially entering portal talking about THE DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY as the potential landing spot. 1 month ago nobody outside of Pittsburgh could pronounce Duquesne. Second question nationally was where the hell is Duquesne located? If this 3rd miracle happens(1) A10 Champs (2) Win vs BYU Duquesne gets 100 million dollars in free publicity. What a month👍🙏

4/03/2024 1:30 pm  #4

I just watched the Joyce press conference and very similar to the way Dambrot reportedly looked right at Dru when talking about his successor, I have no doubt the call referenced by Harper was with Lebron Jr. Who else would constitute a call that Harper would “never forget in his life”? Some random 5 star or previously 5 star guy? The Thiero kid from Kentucky? No way. That said, if Bronny comes here I think you could see a domino effect that leads someone like Thiero to end up here for a year as well.

I also think it will happen. Bronny was at a Power 5, and the experience wasn’t great. Why go to another power 5 where play time and coaching attention is no guarantee. Lebrons kid can come here, be a giant fish in a small pond, still play in a very good league where he can develop and no doubt be the face of the program?

Who is Lebron going to trust more with his kid than Dru? Not to mention Dru played point guard just like Bronny, and if he was a little bigger would likely have been an NBA player too. The kid doesn’t need exposure playing at the highest level, he will get exposure even if he decides to go to cleary. This represents an opportunity for his son to be coached under a guy he trusts more than most, we already have a relationship with Lebron and Nike (which is no doubt about to elevate).

He goes to another USC and they dictate terms to the kid and his dad. He comes here, he’s less than 2 hours from where his dad grew up and they wil basically have free reign in a good way.

I think things are about to get crazy around here.

4/03/2024 1:33 pm  #5

Success builds on success. The whole A-10 would get a shot in the arm. Tickets for Dukes games home and away would be in such demand and the potential TV exposure would upgrade the recruiting for the entire league. DU doesn't need Bronny and Bronny doesn't need DU, but playing here would very likely benefit both. Playing out of LA away from the shadow of his famous Dad would make Bronny make his our way as the center of attention. 

4/03/2024 3:38 pm  #6

How good of a player is he?   IDC if he sold out PPG if we lose games.   4.5ppg at USC doesnt create a warm and fuzzy feeling.   I know he was a freshman, and assume he'll take a big step up, and would love it here.   But for one year, how much could he accomplish, anywhere?   Can he lead us back the NCAAs with Big Dave and Necas?

4/03/2024 4:09 pm  #7

This seems like a fair evaluation of Bronny as a prospect at the end of his senior season. A few weeks later, after some Twitter lobbying by his dad, he shot up the rankings quite a bit and was elevated to 5-star status by a couple of services. This was seen as hype rather than actual player improvement. 

247SPORTS
OVERALL SCORE 95
4 STARS

• NATIONAL PLAYER RANK.=28
  • COMBO GUARD POSITIONAL RANK=16
  • CALIFORNIA PLAYER  RANK=7

• CLASS2023
  • COMMITTED5/6/2023

EVALUATED 04/08/2023
Adam Finkelstein DIRECTOR OF SCOUTING 
Bronny James is a strong-bodied combo-guard with a well-rounded game. As the eldest son of LeBron James, his every move has been under a magnifying glass since before he played his first high school game. To his credit, that has never stopped him from playing the right way. In fact, Bronny’s best attribute may be his understanding of how to impact the game without dominating the ball or forcing bad shots. He’s unselfish, a more than willing passer, and engaged defender. The best part of his individual offense is his ability to shoot the ball from long-range. He has good mechanics and consistently knocks down open rhythm threes. As a playmaker, we still haven’t seen him develop into much of a half-court creator, but he’s capable of being explosive in transition. He can get downhill with the ball, has the strong frame to absorb contact, and is a good vertical athlete at the rim with mid-air body control to match. He can play both with and without the basketball, but is more naturally suited off the ball at this point. Overall, Bronny may not always be the spectacular talent that some assume from the namesake of the NBA’s all-time leading scorer, but he is a well-rounded two-way player with a mature floor-game.

Last edited by phil95 (4/03/2024 4:16 pm)

4/03/2024 4:22 pm  #8

It is extremely likely that he would immediately be the best overall player on the team & one of the 15 best in the conference. Nobody should expect him to average 22-6-6. He is just not that kind of player.

townsonkid wrote:

How good of a player is he?   IDC if he sold out PPG if we lose games.   4.5ppg at USC doesnt create a warm and fuzzy feeling.   I know he was a freshman, and assume he'll take a big step up, and would love it here.   But for one year, how much could he accomplish, anywhere?   Can he lead us back the NCAAs with Big Dave and Necas?

4/03/2024 4:28 pm  #9

Thanks, phil95.  That is a good analysis of Bronny's game coming into college.

I think many of the posters here have forgotten that Bronny had a cardiac arrest episode in late July.  He wasn't cleared to resume full practice until late November.  He really had minimal preparation time for his transition from prep school to USC.  He made his collegiate debut on December 10th, with only a few team prectices under his belt.  He was playing catch up the entire year.

4/03/2024 4:30 pm  #10

townsonkid wrote:

Well he certainly wasn't as good as he was expected to be as a freshman but some things to consider:

1) He did almost die before the season started. How much does that factor into his disappointing season idk but it certainly is worth remembering

2) He might not be freshman lottery pick good but plenty of good college players and A10 players have similar lack of production as freshman. Jimmy Clarke averaged 2ppg his freshman year; Ace Baldwin average 6ppg his FR year; Yuri Collins 5ppg FR; James Bishop 2ppg FR

3) USC has had the 3rd and 7th best recruiting classes the past 2 seasons so he was surrounded by top talent that could be overshadowing and impeding him from playing at his full potential as a freshman 

4) If Bronny comes he isn't coming alone so even if he isn't the guy to lead us back to the NCAAs, that doesn't mean that guy isn't coming with him or because of him or because of the NIL opportunities he brings

4/03/2024 4:49 pm  #11

4/03/2024 9:48 pm  #12

One more thing to consider. The returning players for DU are very talented and are all freshman and sophomores, just like Bonney. This group are mostly his age and also will be with DU for the next two to three seasons. This is a group of young players that have helped win the A-10 and been to the NCAA tourney. If he where to come here, he would likely be coached by a coach that can make young players win.  It's not really a bad move on his part to come here.

Board footera