Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2024 10:06 am  #1

4/05/2024 10:32 am  #2

4/05/2024 10:37 am  #3

Re: Bronny to enter NBA Draft and Transfer Portal

Huge mistake on Bronny's part. He'll get drafted because of who his father is, but he is in no way, shape or form ready for NBA ball. He wasn't even ready for P6 ball. 

4/05/2024 10:59 am  #4

Well, this is less fun than it was 48 hours ago.

4/05/2024 11:07 am  #5

You can enter the draft and withdraw after talking to scouts..its just to get feedback before transfering

4/05/2024 11:14 am  #6

Declaring for the NBA Draft and staying in the NBA Draft are two different things. Probably the most important thing is that Bronny will also enter the transfer portal which keeps open the possibility here.

Many players declare for the NBA Draft in order to get honest feedback about their strengths, weaknesses and possible draft position.  A good example of this was Dayton's DaRon Holmes.  He received feedback last year that he needed to work on his outside shot and gain strength; he did that, setting himself up to be a 1st round pick this year.  The last Dukes player that I remember doing this was Kevin Easley, Jr.

Stay tuned.

4/05/2024 11:28 am  #7

I’ll be up front and admit I haven’t watched the NBA in probably 25 years. Still I don’t see any way he gets drafted. The article says he could be a second round pick because of his upside. If there’s a team out there that just can’t pass him up, why not wait until the draft is over and sign him to a free agent deal with no obligation if he doesn’t work out? So to me the relevant news is that he is entering the portal after all. Even after the past month it’s still kind of crazy to see Duquesne mentioned alongside Ohio State, Oregon, and UCLA as possible destinations.

4/05/2024 12:06 pm  #8

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Declaring for the NBA Draft and staying in the NBA Draft are two different things. Probably the most important thing is that Bronny will also enter the transfer portal which keeps open the possibility here.

Many players declare for the NBA Draft in order to get honest feedback about their strengths, weaknesses and possible draft position.  A good example of this was Dayton's DaRon Holmes.  He received feedback last year that he needed to work on his outside shot and gain strength; he did that, setting himself up to be a 1st round pick this year.  The last Dukes player that I remember doing this was Kevin Easley, Jr.

Stay tuned.

Great summary Phoenix.  My understanding is that as long as Bronny does not hire an agent he has until May 31st to withdraw his name from the Draft to retain his college eligibility.  While it could take a while to become official, but my hope is we will hear "BRONNY COMMITS TO DUQUESNE"

Last edited by CLK (4/05/2024 12:27 pm)

4/05/2024 1:27 pm  #9

This is way better than "As the World Turns"!!
Meanwhile, we do need lots more than Bronny James here. 
Hoping Dru and staff are working overtime to ensure that we get what we need regardless of whatever happens with Bronny Jr. If he does come here, it's undoubtedly a one and done. He may not be all that relevant to our future success other than we can say Bronny was here.
However it goes.... Let's Go Druquesne!!

4/05/2024 2:03 pm  #10

I have heard LA has a late second round pick.  Interesting

4/05/2024 2:06 pm  #11

Dambrot at the Lakers practice today...doesn't necessarily mean anything but doesn't hurt our recruiting pitch. Also saw that Bronny is following Kareem on instagram but not sure if that just happened or they knew each other previously. 

4/05/2024 2:21 pm  #12

As of 1-1-24 the players now can sort of hire an agent, test the draft, & keep their eligibility under a certain set of circumstances.

Those circumstances are slightly less transparent than the Turkish penal code. Have fun figuring that out. I am sure Rich Paul has that all under control.

CLK wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Stay tuned.

Great summary Phoenix.  My understanding is that as long as Bronny does not hire an agent he has until May 31st to withdraw his name from the Draft to retain his college eligibility.  While it could take a while to become official, but my hope is we will hear "BRONNY COMMITS TO DUQUESNE"

4/05/2024 6:55 pm  #13

It's a good move to test the draft, but just to gauge his development.  He's not that ready, but worth the experience. Kids grow a lot at his age in the next two to three years. DU has every part except a Tre Clark, and Bronny is a good fit for DU and a good fit for Bronny. I'd like him on the team, but if not, we will likely fill it with a pretty good transfer. It's a very attractive position on a good team and we will get a lot of lookers.

4/05/2024 8:22 pm  #14

Not holding my breath on Bronny. Would have been nice if he had chosen Duquesne early as it would have attracted some higher end portal players to commit. At this point i'm hoping the staff gets four of five quality transfers. Doesn't have to be at the highest end, but a couple AJ Smith's would be nice for starters. 

4/05/2024 11:00 pm  #15

A little ....Johnny-Come-Lately.....
Stephen A. Smith and Perkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GW81Jj01qk

I can see both sides of the argument....I'm willing to be patient and see where it all goes!!!!

Just the national attention we get for being considered in the equation... is immeasurable !!!!!

GO Dukes !!!!!

Last edited by CalDuke (4/05/2024 11:03 pm)

4/06/2024 6:03 pm  #16

Honestly, If Bronny doesn’t earn enough playing time or if he takes minutes away from a more deserving guard, this could backfire on the Dukes and potentially turn off the support from his papa.

Last edited by coffee (4/06/2024 6:04 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

4/07/2024 8:37 am  #17

4/07/2024 3:36 pm  #18

Great case for coming to DU, but it missed a few key advantages. First is Rozier to set up Bronny to score a lot. Kind of like the leading scorer in the A-10. . Second, this entire team, just short of a combo guard is all ready to challenge for the A-10 again. Third, Dru Joyce comes from a family of coaching winners. Fourth, the remaining team is first and second year players like Bronny. They are a close knit group that he can blend into and feel like a close key part of that team fast. And last, if he would say it's a good fit and come to DU, Coach Dru would be able to get his best picks to follow him in here. Even if he doesn't decide to come here to run this offense, Dixon, DiMichelle, Necas, Hronski, and Rozier are a top A-10 team coming back with Coach Dru having approx. 9 scholarships  to shop the portal. Either way, the Dukes look to compete to win A-10 next year.

4/07/2024 4:18 pm  #19

I think you are underestimating what has been lost from this year's team & overestimating the overall value of what is coming back for next year.

I am very hopeful for the players that DJ will bring in but, make no mistake, a significant infusion of talent & experience will be needed to challenge for the A-10 title in 2025.

NapaDuke wrote:

Great case for coming to DU, but it missed a few key advantages. First is Rozier to set up Bronny to score a lot. Kind of like the leading scorer in the A-10. . Second, this entire team, just short of a combo guard is all ready to challenge for the A-10 again. Third, Dru Joyce comes from a family of coaching winners. Fourth, the remaining team is first and second year players like Bronny. They are a close knit group that he can blend into and feel like a close key part of that team fast. And last, if he would say it's a good fit and come to DU, Coach Dru would be able to get his best picks to follow him in here. Even if he doesn't decide to come here to run this offense, Dixon, DiMichelle, Necas, Hronski, and Rozier are a top A-10 team coming back with Coach Dru having approx. 9 scholarships  to shop the portal. Either way, the Dukes look to compete to win A-10 next year.

4/08/2024 8:20 am  #20

phil95 wrote:

I think you are underestimating what has been lost from this year's team & overestimating the overall value of what is coming back for next year.

I am very hopeful for the players that DJ will bring in but, make no mistake, a significant infusion of talent & experience will be needed to challenge for the A-10 title in 2025.

phil95, spot on. The Dukes have to replace about 65% of the scoring and about 58% of the minutes on the court. I’m very happy that it appears that our key returnees are staying; that helps to anchor the culture and identity of Duquesne basketball. I’m hoping that all of our returning players are healthy going into the offseason (no surgeries) so that they can continue to work and improve their games in the off season where it all happens. But make no mistake about it, the Dukes need a serious infusion of talent from the transfer portal in order to compete in the upper half of the A10 next year.

Board footera