Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2014 5:56 pm  #1

LaSalle

Your chance to scout LaSalle as they play GW at 8:00 tonight on NBC Sports TV.

1/09/2014 9:10 pm  #2

Re: LaSalle

Duquesne has gotten more National Exposure this year than in the last ten years. Every time the #1 team in the nation, Arizona plays the announcers say how good McConnell is and that he is a transfer from Duquesne. In fact, I sincerely believe that the exposure of Duquesne being mentioned at least 3 times every time Arizona plays is more beneficial to Duquesne than at least one of the years that he would have played at DU.  At least folks watching these teams hear our school often.  Heck, they may even think we are average because we had a player who is so good.  I am being serious here.

Last edited by FAM (1/09/2014 9:15 pm)

1/09/2014 9:26 pm  #3

Wouldn't people question why he LEFT Duquesne? Actually, the most beneficial thing that has happened in this age of Twitter and Google News is how the Soko dunk has gone viral.

1/10/2014 12:10 am  #4

I hope we can tamper our expectations this Sunday. La Salle just beat GW who has looked extremely good this season.  It's going to be a very tough game.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/10/2014 6:03 am  #5

Simms, they won at home, so it wasn't that big an upset. Plus after their NCAA run last year, I think expectations were high for the Explorers. You are absolutely correct, though. I don't think we look at that as a game we should win. Our guards are going to have to step up big time because theirs are damned quick and they're very aggressive.

1/10/2014 6:18 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Wouldn't people question why he LEFT Duquesne? Actually, the most beneficial thing that has happened in this age of Twitter and Google News is how the Soko dunk has gone viral.

Uh....No! With all due respect, people are much more likely to ask why he STAYED at Duquesne for 2 years. The average college basketball fan is unaware how much TJ has matured and improved during the year he sat out after his transfer. He would be languishing here in relative obscurity had he stayed.

1/10/2014 10:14 am  #7

Duke2017 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Uh....No! With all due respect, people are much more likely to ask why he STAYED at Duquesne for 2 years. The average college basketball fan is unaware how much TJ has matured and improved during the year he sat out after his transfer. He would be languishing here in relative obscurity had he stayed.

Well, let's recall the history correctly. Ron Everhart offered TJ a scholarship before anyone else knew he had a pair of sneakers. When he did, most fans on the existing message boards blasted RE and said TJ would never amount to anything. TJ turned out to be better than most of his critics wanted to believe. 

I understand why he would want to go someplace where he could have a shot at playing in the NCAAs. He has access to, well, let's call it training methods and devices, that a BCS school can offer at Arizona, and he's surrounded by blue-chip athletes who were recruited by BCS schools when they were in diapers. 

I don't think anyone would have questioned him if he chose to stay here an try to build something. 

Here's a fair question: If Miller doesn't have the Pittsburgh/A-10 background that he has, does TJ end up there? Or does he end up at Virginia, Penn State, or someplace else where the spotlight isn't as bright. That's not a knock against TJ, I think it's a fair question.

Personally, I'm a Duquesne graduate and a Duquesne fan. I don't care about guys who are here, and while I respect the right of others who want to talk about TJ, or anyone else. But I'll say this again: No matter how much success TJ enjoys at Arizona this year, it will not benefit Duquesne in any way. Jimmy Ferry will not be sitting in someone's living room in March telling them proudly that TJ used to be a Duke. If Ron gets a head coaching gig somewhere again, HE can tell people how his sharp eye discovers talent. But that won't help us either.

Ovie Soko being the number one highlight on Sports Center, now THAT is something that will help us.

Apologies for the caps in some places ... used for emphasis, not shouting.

Peace.

1/10/2014 11:16 am  #8

First, TJ is a Pittsburgh Area kid and I always am happy to see them getting success.

He was a very good point guard at a team that was a 500 percent team while he played.

He transferred to a top program in Arizona and plays well at that level.

Some of the circumstances and RE firing, Duquesne's only winning coach since Mike Rice and Red Manning, left a bad taste in many supporters mouths.

So if TJ prospers, great for him, if the Dukes prosper great for them.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/10/2014 11:32 am  #9

Not to bud in on the ever going TJ conversation.... I have watched GW play several times this year and last night against LaSalle they looked like adifferent team (in a bad way).  If the Dukes play like they have been playing I like our chances against LaSalle.  Most of the A10 fans think there is not much different from last year's Dukes.  Sunday could be the first major shocker.  Go Dukes!

1/10/2014 11:55 am  #10

Phildog wrote:

First, TJ is a Pittsburgh Area kid and I always am happy to see them getting success.

He was a very good point guard at a team that was a 500 percent team while he played.

Some of the circumstances and RE firing, Duquesne's only winning coach since Mike Rice and Red Manning, left a bad taste in many supporters mouths.

I believe that TJ and company played a big role in Ron getting fired, and nothing will change my mind about that. As such, I'm not rooting for him at all. Not a fan of the Millers either. Even the Pitt people can't stand them, so that ought to tell you something.

1/10/2014 12:25 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

I believe that TJ and company played a big role in Ron getting fired, and nothing will change my mind about that. As such, I'm not rooting for him at all. Not a fan of the Millers either. Even the Pitt people can't stand them, so that ought to tell you something.

'81 - I'm with you on everything you say - every detail. And I'm not rooting for the McConnell's or Miller's either. Some may think this is just " sour grapes" , and while I respect their knowledge and success in the world of basketball, I also believe they are egotistical and arrogant, believe they know more than anyone else and think they should never lose. Maybe this is too harsh, but that's the impression I have from limited close exposure and plenty of long distance exposure.

1/10/2014 1:04 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

Not to bud in on the ever going TJ conversation.... I have watched GW play several times this year and last night against LaSalle they looked like adifferent team (in a bad way).  If the Dukes play like they have been playing I like our chances against LaSalle.  Most of the A10 fans think there is not much different from last year's Dukes.  Sunday could be the first major shocker.  Go Dukes!

GW and LaSalle were using small lineups against each other last night. The Fordham game might have helped us prepare for this. Getting Soko and McKoy going again will be a key.

1/10/2014 1:40 pm  #13

Some local exposure for Ovie. On Channel 2 in Pittsburgh.

@mikevukkdka: Tonight on @CBSPittsburgh Sports at 6 PM, we'll introduce you to possibly the best hoops player in Pgh Duquesne senior Ovie Soko.

1/10/2014 2:00 pm  #14

TJ going to Arizona is kinda like LeBron James "taking his talents" from Cleveland to Miami a few years ago.

1/10/2014 2:44 pm  #15

Duke2017 wrote:

TJ going to Arizona is kinda like LeBron James "taking his talents" from Cleveland to Miami a few years ago.

No.  Not on any level.

1/10/2014 4:37 pm  #16

ElDuque wrote:

Duke2017 wrote:

No.  Not on any level.

Obviously, I did not mean literally. Only on a "Pittsburgh area talent" symbolic level.

1/10/2014 7:22 pm  #17

Shouldn't this string be about LaSalle and the upcoming Lasalle game since it's titled, LaSalle? Since TJ doesn't play for LaSalle why all the conversation not dealing about LaSalle? I've read two pages and the only thing I know about LaSalle is they beat GW and played small and agressive.

1/10/2014 8:44 pm  #18

Thank you Apluski. I'm guessing we're in for a high-scoring game.

1/11/2014 9:17 am  #19

Board footera