Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2024 9:59 am  #76

Re: Verbal Commits Transfer Portal

Familiar faces continue to show up on the portal. Ethan Morton and Mounir Hima (again) put their names in yesterday.

4/11/2024 11:46 am  #77

luckymcd wrote:

Familiar faces continue to show up on the portal. Ethan Morton and Mounir Hima (again) put their names in yesterday.

It would certainly be nice to see Morton come home for his final year.

4/11/2024 12:54 pm  #78

Primo Spears back in the portal.   Funny seeing teams fans want him.   Kansas, St Johns.   

4/11/2024 2:19 pm  #79

townsonkid wrote:

Primo Spears back in the portal.   Funny seeing teams fans want him.   Kansas, St Johns.   

He's a legit scorer. He averaged 16 per game in the Big East and 11 a game in the ACC. He's scored 15 or more against St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Northwestern, South Carolina, Syracuse, Xavier (twice including 37 in one), Connecticut, Marquette, Villanova (twice), St. John's, Providence (twice), Creighton, North Carolina (twice), Louisville, and Clemson. So I can see why portal-watching fans would want him. As has been discussed here before, highlight videos don't show complete games.  There has to be a reason he's looking for his seventh school in as many years. It's probably because every single one of those high scoring games came in a loss.

Last edited by luckymcd (4/11/2024 3:06 pm)

4/11/2024 4:01 pm  #80

I don't know if Primo was ever a "team player." 

4/11/2024 4:15 pm  #81

I don't he was a team player in any way at DU. He was definitely more team oriented at his 2nd & 3rd stops.

I also thought KD didn't have the balls to glue him to the bench in the attempt to rectify that situation. There was no accountability on that Dukes team as far as Primo was concerned.

4/11/2024 4:19 pm  #82

FAM wrote:

I don't know if Primo was ever a "team player." 

And that helps explain why his college teams have gone 25-61 with him in the lineup. 

4/11/2024 8:08 pm  #83

Really want this the kid from Samford as well as Edwards. That would make us very solid in the backcourt. A piece or two in the frontcourt and we are in business.

4/11/2024 10:08 pm  #84

I want to know why Samford's best players played so few minutes this season.

4/12/2024 9:53 am  #85

phil95 wrote:

I want to know why Samford's best players played so few minutes this season.

10 players average double figure in minutes, and another was at 9.3 mpg.   They were 29-6, so must have worked out for them.

We had 11 avg double figure minutes.   But 2 of ours were over 30 mpg.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/12/2024 9:54 am)

4/12/2024 11:28 am  #86

I saw that. I wonder if they were doing a 40 minutes of hell kind of thing. I didn't see them play.

4/16/2024 10:06 am  #87

4/16/2024 10:32 am  #88

Article mentions how good a fit Thiero would be here.   Cant argue that.   But I did see pitt signed a 6'10'' guy from FSU.   Would that impact Thiero's choices?   I have no idea who he is considering, imagine Big East teams would like him.   But, if he does want to stay near home for a year, we might have a shot.   Would be huge!

Last edited by townsonkid (4/16/2024 10:33 am)

4/16/2024 2:39 pm  #89

Thiero would be the ultimate pickup. Several draft boards have upgraded him to be a 2025 lottery pick.

4/16/2024 4:16 pm  #90

What's the pressure index referring to?

4/16/2024 5:38 pm  #91

WashPaRick wrote:

What's the pressure index referring to?

I think it’s how much pressure is on the team to be successful in the portal. I think I’d put it higher than 5 for the Dukes. Without the portal, next year would definitely be a rebuilding year. With it, we have the opportunity to keep the success of last season going or even build on it.

The next couple years can either be a turning point back towards the glory days (although I don’t know if we’ll ever be a top 10 program again) or the nail in the coffin of Duquesne basketball. If we reach the promised land after 40+ years only to fall back into the abyss that may be the last chance we ever have to bring in more than the spattering of fans we’ve all been used to for so long. It’s a lot to be putting on a first time head coach, but I think Dru is up for the challenge.

4/18/2024 12:49 pm  #92

Lawal and Shulga of VCU in the portal!

4/18/2024 1:55 pm  #93

I would take Shulga over every portal player the Dukes have shown interest in; that includes Bronny & Thiero. He is super skilled, smart, tough, a great shooter, experienced, athletic, he knows the A-10, & has great positional size. Aside from TJ, Duquesne hasn't had a lead guard with as many positive attributes in 30+ years. I feel like he would fill the team's greatest area of need in a damn near perfect way.

Unfortunately, I don't think he is leaving VCU just to go to another A-10 school. I bet he gets a dozen high major offers.

KD deserves much credit for bringing in better, bigger, stronger players. I think the next step for the program is to maintain & improve the quality of the recruits while also aiming for players with significantly higher basketball IQs. Shulga would be a great place to start.

BluffHunter wrote:

4/18/2024 2:09 pm  #94

phil95 wrote:

I would take Shulga over every portal player the Dukes have shown interest in; that includes Bronny & Thiero. He is super skilled, smart, tough, a great shooter, experienced, athletic, he knows the A-10, & has great positional size. Aside from TJ, Duquesne hasn't had a lead guard with as many positive attributes in 30+ years. I feel like he would fill the team's greatest area of need in a damn near perfect way.

Unfortunately, I don't think he is leaving VCU just to go to another A-10 school. I bet he gets a dozen high major offers.

KD deserves much credit for bringing in better, bigger, stronger players. I think the next step for the program is to maintain & improve the quality of the recruits while also aiming for players with significantly higher basketball IQs. Shulga would be a great place to start.

BluffHunter wrote:

I'm guessing Shulga will go pro. Probably back closer to home in Europe.

Last edited by BluffHunter (4/18/2024 2:09 pm)

4/18/2024 2:19 pm  #95

phil95 wrote:

The last guard we got from VCU worked out pretty damn good. That last part sounds like a shot at this year’s team. I remarked many times how smart I thought the team played. It was a big part of the defense Shawn the stretch. Everyone played good positional defense, but the team defense was exceptional.

Last edited by luckymcd (4/18/2024 2:19 pm)

4/18/2024 4:39 pm  #96

Every criticism of or comment about the team and its players is not a shot. What is the point of having a board to discuss the team, players, & program if any comments that aren't positive are deemed to be attacks against a player, coach, or poster?

At no point over the last three decades has this program been known for its high basketball IQ. If you take away Kenya, Micah, TJ, Lewis III, and Ajax, it takes some looking to find players who drew attention from other programs and their coaches because of their savvy play and extraordinary ability to make those around them better players through their on-the-floor intellectual gifts.

Have there been talented, instinctual players like Dae Dae and Jimmy this year? Yes! However, neither those 2 players nor any of the other players on any teams in recent memory have been recognized & feared by their A-10 brethren for their ability to think the game as is so frequently observed when watching Davidson, Richmond, St. Louis, SBU, etc.... Matus, Jake, Rozier, and Necas have shown varying degrees of promise in this area but have a ways to go before serious opponents base their scouting reports on how to counteract this strength. 

By season's end, the Dukes were at least 40 ratings spots better than they have been in a very long time. So many factors & player qualities went into making that happen. My point is that it is now the new coaching regime's job to find ways to make the team/program better still & improving the smarts of the group is one.

It was just three short months ago that many here were apoplectic about the poor defensive execution, clock management, offensive flow, and on-the-court decision-making. How much of that was the coaching? How much was it players in need of a revised mindset?  How much of it was due to players not having the combination of smarts & experience to make things run as intended? Was there much better basketball thinking in evidence during the team's killer closing run? 

We each have to answer those questions for ourselves. I believe the program needs more players who think the game better to maintain the current & reach a yet higher level of success. Expressing this opinion is in no way a "shot" at anyone.

4/18/2024 7:27 pm  #97

The offense was exasperating at times last season, but I focused on defense. Even something as fundamental as using the baseline as a defender or funneling the ball handler where you want them to go they were exceptional at. It’s something really basic, but when most teams don’t do it, there’s a big difference when one does it well.

4/19/2024 10:34 am  #98

townsonkid wrote:

Article mentions how good a fit Thiero would be here.   Cant argue that.   But I did see pitt signed a 6'10'' guy from FSU.   Would that impact Thiero's choices?   I have no idea who he is considering, imagine Big East teams would like him.   But, if he does want to stay near home for a year, we might have a shot.   Would be huge!

Looks like we can scratch him off our wish list

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1781332527120072856?t=KH4K6MgJslQFsEPvIjS1Ag&s=19

4/19/2024 10:47 am  #99

A bummer but not unexpected.

4/19/2024 4:42 pm  #100

Board footera