Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

Current Men's Basketball Roster and Coaches are now up:
Just type in Duquesne University Men's Basketball - Great Read on Everyone!
Go Dukes!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2024 5:00 pm  #1

6/14/2024 5:06 pm  #2

Re: Bracket Busters Review Of Duquesne

6/15/2024 10:48 am  #3

Chingachgook 1826 wrote:

Elliot Crowe of Bracket Busters provided a glowing and objective view of our Duquesne Dukes. His review of the new and existing players and what their potential holds makes me wish the opener is tomorrow. I agree with his enthusiasm for this team.
Of course he points out that the Dukes aren't perfect and who would dispute that. I was not too surprised with his statement, "My largest concern is their front court" since I've expressed the same concern. His notation that we only have two players as tall at 6'9 and that we have two potential frontcourt starters, Dixon and Wilborn (who he projects as our PF) is interesting. He thinks that since our two "rotational players"-Hronsky and Barre "have not played in elevated roles" and have only averaged 7 and 8.3 minutes of game experience may make our frontcourt a potential soft spot. I will say that I agree with his assessment as they are similar to observations and comments that I have mentioned as well. I wish coach could have found an experienced big center to add depth (without losing any of the real talent he did get)
In the past we have all puzzled over how Dambrot seemed to have more players than scholarships and roster spots. Somehow it worked out every year. I wish Coach Dru could pull off that magic hat trick with a big guy this year. Fantasy, I know).
Bracket Busters closed it's analysis of our frontcourt with, "Overall, this is a pretty weak frontcourt" Here I part ways in agreeing with them about our frontcourt--thin? Yes. Weak? That's a ridiculous over statement. We are what we are: a team of exceptional forwards and guards. This team's makeup will give opposing coach's nightmares trying to game plan Duquesne. We are talented, a deep roster, versatile. I think we can play whatever way we want and change up enough ways as to drive teams nuts. Having said that, my fantasy is still the cherry on top.
We will play Dru-ball and we will be a team to be reckoned with.

It struck me that he didn't mention Necas in the mix? As a Freshman, he slowly got more time, and against BYU, he looked pretty darn good, Necas  grew up playing both BB and soccer, so he is much more athletic then most tall players. Also, Necas may be more like 6'9" or come back a bit taller in the fall, so not saying anything about his upside potential here seemed odd in this guys view of our team.

6/15/2024 10:51 am  #4

Chingachgook 1826 wrote:

Elliot Crowe of Bracket Busters provided a glowing and objective view of our Duquesne Dukes. His review of the new and existing players and what their potential holds makes me wish the opener is tomorrow.  I agree with his enthusiasm for this team.
Of course he points out that the Dukes aren't perfect and who would dispute that. I was not too surprised with his statement, "My largest concern is their front court" since I've expressed the same concern. His notation that we only have two players as tall at 6'9 and that we have two potential frontcourt starters, Dixon and Wilborn (who he projects as our PF) is interesting. He thinks that since our two "rotational players"-Hronsky and Barre "have not played in elevated roles" and have only averaged 7 and 8.3 minutes of game experience may make our frontcourt a potential soft spot. I will say that I agree with his assessment as they are similar to observations and comments that I have mentioned as well. I wish coach could have found an experienced big center to add depth (without losing any of the real talent he did get)
In the past we have all puzzled over how Dambrot seemed to have more players than scholarships and roster spots. Somehow it worked out every year. I wish Coach Dru could pull off that magic hat trick with a big guy this year. Fantasy, I know).
Bracket Busters closed it's analysis of our frontcourt with, "Overall, this is a pretty weak frontcourt" Here I part ways in agreeing with them about our frontcourt--thin? Yes. Weak? That's a ridiculous over statement. We are what we are: a team of exceptional forwards and guards. This team's makeup will give opposing coach's nightmares trying to game plan Duquesne. We are talented, a deep roster, versatile. I think we can play whatever way we want  and change up enough ways as to drive teams nuts. Having said that, my fantasy is still the cherry on top.
We will play Dru-ball and we will be a team to be reckoned with.

I’ve made the same observation.  Dixon can’t get into foul trouble or we may have some problems in the second half.  The one thing that makes up for this is the range of guards and “small” forwards with some heft all above 6’4” to rebound and double team a power center by committee. 

Someone like Necas may play offense from just outside the paint but deny the ball inside the paint on defense.

Last edited by coffee (6/15/2024 10:53 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

6/15/2024 1:11 pm  #5

Thank-you “Click”for posting this off-season summary of the Dukes.  It is nice to get some non-partisan opinions on the prognosis for the 2024-25 team. 

He covers a lot of ground in a very efficient manner, but I think anyone evaluating the Dukes needs to spend some time on the potential impact of Necas.  If he continues to work hard on his game, he can help separate the Dukes from a lot of their competitors.  Going into the season with a healthy Dave Dixon will also be a major factor.  I’m hoping Chabi can also contribute more minutes per game than last season.  I understand that having a 7-footer who can play would be a nice addition, but barring serious injury, I think the Dukes can hold their own in the frontcourt next season.

6/15/2024 6:02 pm  #6

Chingachgook 1826 wrote:

You're right, I missed that Bracket Buster didn't mention Necas. I like Necas a lot. I feel he will become a
factor as his game matures. Perhaps it was my imagination but I thought he looked as tall as Dixon (maybe even a tad taller) last year when the team huddled up. I assume the team updates heights and weights each year. Perhaps that will confirm my height perception of Necas from last year. While I feel the frontcourt is a bit thin we can adapt by committee. I look for more consistent scoring and rebounding from in close this year.

You can pull up the BYU game and in the second half, you can see both Dixon and Nacas are in the game and both winning the paint, together. They are, in that game, the same height? They both are very clearly defending in the paint. They both play taller than their size.  I think Necas along with the rest of this very well stocked team are going to be a nightmare for their opponents this fall. He just might be able to help out at center.

Last edited by NapaDuke (6/16/2024 10:37 am)

6/16/2024 11:15 am  #7

Elliot Crowe had some great insight & analysis of the new players. However I am puzzled how he fails to mention Dixon & Necas.If Pistol Pete is correct & Necas & Dixon grew & gained  muscle weight I would put the Dukes 4 or 5   angainst  anyone in the A10. Those 2 did pretty well against BYU.

6/17/2024 8:59 am  #8

Necas is tall, and has skills to shoot 3s, dribble drive.   Hopefully he got a taste of success late last year and will grow more this year.   Dixon is an enforcer and I think he likes that role.   Wants to dunk and block shots.   IDK why they cant play at the same time and be successful.   Add Wilborn into the mix and we have a powerful front court.   If Barre comes along after his issue, then we are rock solid.   
There were some pics of players on campus this weekend, one was Dixon, but couldnt tell if he has gotten any bigger.   He just looks like a cool cat tho.   

6/17/2024 10:03 am  #9

townsonkid wrote:

Necas is tall, and has skills to shoot 3s, dribble drive.   Hopefully he got a taste of success late last year and will grow more this year.   Dixon is an enforcer and I think he likes that role.   Wants to dunk and block shots.   IDK why they cant play at the same time and be successful.   Add Wilborn into the mix and we have a powerful front court.   If Barre comes along after his issue, then we are rock solid.   
There were some pics of players on campus this weekend, one was Dixon, but couldnt tell if he has gotten any bigger.   He just looks like a cool cat tho.   

I don't know if there is a harder worker than Necas. He is in the gym constantly. Below are some pictures of him back home lifting over break. He is going to be a super star.

https://x.com/enzi_sk/status/1793262349928837164?t=cc0b_iL-aRZk6VrM52KZYg&s=19

6/18/2024 9:49 am  #10

New Roster List.  Not sure if I believe some of these heights or weights.  Also, Lucas Prolla, the recent walk-on, not shown on this list.  Probably will be updated later this summer.

2024-25 Men's Basketball Roster - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

6/18/2024 10:04 am  #11

CLK wrote:

New Roster List.  Not sure if I believe some of these heights or weights.  Also, Lucas Prolla, the recent walk-on, not shown on this list.  Probably will be updated later this summer.

2024-25 Men's Basketball Roster - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

I have to agree with your comment. All the returning players heights and weights are same as last year roster!
I can’t help but think no measurement or scales were done yet probably after summer sessions!
Necas for one even late last year stood at least an inch taller than Dixon for example!
Regardless I believe we have a fantastic group of talented players!
Go Dukes!

6/18/2024 11:44 am  #12

Let people sleep on Necas. He will start and be a nightmare matchup for the other members of the league.

6/18/2024 4:23 pm  #13

Joe Greene was 6’4”, 275 for his entire career.

6/19/2024 11:21 am  #14

CLK wrote:

Our guys from last year have the same measurements.   Not sure on the new guys compared to last year.   If Dixon and Necas added any size, its not reflected in this newest roster.

6/21/2024 5:55 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

Lucas Prolla is now on the official roster.

6/22/2024 12:45 pm  #16

Watched the BYU game first time. I was at the game. After knowing the outcome less stress. My observations for next season is kudos that Coach Joyce kept the core group. Necas & Dixon monster game.Jake played like a 5 th year senior. Hronsky & Barre contributed to a couple of big plays.  My second point, if the new transfers play reflect their scoring output against previous power 5 schools this team is loaded. My only concern is can Kareem carry the load for the majority of the season at point guard. Not a criticism of Kareem I love this kid. This team could be even better than last years A-10 Champions. Go Dukes.

Board footera