Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2014 3:11 pm  #1

My bright spot for the weekend

One guy gets it. This quote was picked up by Stephen Nesbitt in the P-G:

“I’m not too worried about hitting 3s,” (Micah) Mason said afterward. “I’m more worried about getting wins.”

Hope it rubs off soon. Here's the rest of the article so I don't violate any copyright laws:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2014/02/08/George-Mason-defeats-Duquesne-for-first-A-10-win/stories/201402080138#ixzz2srDY9zKT

2/10/2014 2:44 pm  #2

Re: My bright spot for the weekend

ElDuque wrote:

One guy gets it. This quote was picked up by Stephen Nesbitt in the P-G:

“I’m not too worried about hitting 3s,” (Micah) Mason said afterward. “I’m more worried about getting wins.”

Hope it rubs off soon. Here's the rest of the article so I don't violate any copyright laws:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2014/02/08/George-Mason-defeats-Duquesne-for-first-A-10-win/stories/201402080138#ixzz2srDY9zKT

You are correct; that Micah certainly does "get it"; but also has the skill set to put the "team" mindset into practice.  I told you guys when I heard Micah was coming to Duquesne that we were getting much more than just a great shooter.  We were getting a well-rounded player with a well -developed skill set and a high basketball IQ.  He is an unselfish player, who sees the court extremely well.  He works hard without the ball on offense, and is working hard on his defense and rebounding as well.  He is a special player and is a joy to watch in a Dukes uniform.  He also give the coaches a blueprint for the type of player they need to recruit to be successful at Duquesne.  I'm speaking of players who are unselfish, put winning above personal goals, have the skill set to deliver at this level, despite the fact that they might not have a high "star" rating. I might never see another guy that can shoot it like Micah in a Dukes uniform  in my lifetime; so I plan to enjoy it.
On the other hand, it would be unfair to characterize the rest of the team as being unconcerned with winning, or having the willingness to put personal goals aside.  I don't think that is true; I believe every player on the team wants to win.I just think its harder for some guys to put that kind of attitude into practice.  Every player at this level may not see the court, or the game the same way.  I recall the old saying that the great ones see the game in slow motion; but make plays in real time.  This is just a gift that not every player posesses. 
I really thought the team was making progress before the last road trip, and the GMason game.  It looked like guys were starting to break some bad habits and play a more team oriented game, but now it looks like its back to square one, and breaking the same bad habits. I hope the team does some soul-searching and finds the inner toughness to pull out of this downturn.

2/10/2014 3:52 pm  #3

I don't disagree with you Levon. I think every ball player wants to win and I think there are some for whom it truly is a passion. Derek Jeter comes to mind.  Micah Mason seems to have that quality. He is also very talented.  I do think some guys aren't willing to sell out on their own stats, or overestimate their ability sometimes. Happy as I was that Colter hit the game winner vs. Bona, it's well documented that the instructions were to look for one of the shooters. He did not even try. That time it worked but think of how many times he passed up a pass in favor of a shot ... It's why our record is where it is. More guys need to buy in. When that happens the results will change.

Great post sir.

2/10/2014 9:40 pm  #4

Despite an off game against G Mason, McCoy is another guy who seems to be putting the team before personal stats.

The biggest problems on offense, to me, are sloppy ball handling and pointless dribbling by our point guards, guys who can't shoot that shoot too much, and Soko, as much as he does bring to the game - needs to pass off the drive once in awhile.

2/11/2014 7:17 am  #5

Amen Apple.

2/11/2014 8:59 am  #6

Good to see someone seeing something positive somewhere

2/11/2014 3:14 pm  #7

applecorps wrote:

Despite an off game against G Mason, McCoy is another guy who seems to be putting the team before personal stats.

The biggest problems on offense, to me, are sloppy ball handling and pointless dribbling by our point guards, guys who can't shoot that shoot too much, and Soko, as much as he does bring to the game - needs to pass off the drive once in awhile.

Agree on McCoy; he makes a lot of winning plays, sacrifices his body to go to the floor for 50/50 balls and is very unselfish.  He may be getting a little frustrated with the lack of reciprocation, at this time; but it goes back to a players ability to see the court, and being able to make the pass out of a double-team. Some guys can do it, and others get tunnel vision when the go to the hoop.  I think they try to make that pass; but just don't have that ability to see their teammates opening up when they take off for the hoop.  I think we sometimes assume that every player at this level can do those things; but the reality is that not all can.  It is a tough game to play at the speed of D-1.

2/11/2014 5:04 pm  #8

Levon, I think if you recruit a kid to be your point guard at this level of play, that's a minimum expectation of what he can do. It wouldn't make sense to give someone control of your team if you have questions about his ballhandling and passing skills. Look at Colter's assist total last year, and his assist total this year. Last year, we supposedly had no one worthy of passing the ball to ... and DC had one of the highest assist totals ever for a Duquesne freshman. This year he has Soko, who likes to take the ball at the top of the key and drive; McKoy, who shoots over 50% from the floor; and Mason, who shoots 60% from three. And his assist totals and average are down. He's had nearly two full seasons of experience in Ferry's system. Mason, who is new to the system and has battled injuries, has improved in every statistical category vs. his freshman year at Drake. At this stage of the game, you have to ask: Is he capable of doing the things we need him to do? This is important because he is the quarterback of this team.

Board footera