Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2014 9:04 pm  #1

Hard to watch

Turned off Internet feed at 17-3' Richmond, maybe some year there will be a winning year, but if don't know.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/12/2014 9:29 pm  #2

Re: Hard to watch

I switched to the Penn State game.  Glad I did.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/12/2014 10:32 pm  #3

I am starting to think unless we hire (which won't happen) a Calapari type Coach who is willing to cheat we are not going anywhere, let's just face it.  I don't care who everyone wants to blame anymore, we just stink and unless this staff recruits a Jabari it isn't going to change much and I suspect all, regardless of views, have had enough - I know I have.  I'll be happy to jump on the bandwagon if by some miralce they actually do turn this around.  I am done with any support and will not buy tickets next year or give another dinero, period, hasta luego.

2/12/2014 10:35 pm  #4

We're bad in every aspect of the game. 

I have all the respect in the world for the kids who walk on and I always enjoy seeing their names in the box scores (they get so little reward for what they invest). I question why Watkins got only three minutes and Lewis didn't budge off the bench, though.

I mean, they're not going to give more meaningful minutes than Gill or the Joneses at this point?

2/12/2014 10:40 pm  #5

MrBrightside wrote:

I am starting to think unless we hire (which won't happen) a Calapari type Coach who is willing to cheat we are not going anywhere, let's just face it.  I don't care who everyone wants to blame anymore, we just stink and unless this staff recruits a Jabari it isn't going to change much and I suspect all, regardless of views, have had enough - I know I have.  I'll be happy to jump on the bandwagon if by some miralce they actually do turn this around.  I am done with any support and will not buy tickets next year or give another dinero, period, hasta luego.

I don't see any blame going on here. Long-time season ticket holders and supporters of the program are frustrated as hell, but no one really gives a crap. I don't care what happens any more with the AD or coach because I've resigned myself to the fact that we're the Cleveland Browns of the A-10.

I told everyone last year that Colter was not going to be good enough to get us to the next level. I didn't need the sample size Ferry needed. I hope he can get someone better in here next year.

2/12/2014 11:31 pm  #6

One good thing about it. Ferry has to know now that his two point guards, along with Jones just aren't going to cut it. Those three, along with White were 4-21. That's beyond awful. He really needs to start giving Watkins and Lewis some more floor time as well. He's got two players he can count on for next year in Mason and McCoy. Quit wasting time with Jerry Jones as well.

2/13/2014 12:15 am  #7

First of all, there is no way in hell we get a Jabari Parker or Calipari type coach.  That's madness.  Still, it would be nice if I saw some sort of offense.  It was absurd how much better Mooney's offense looked than ours.  I stand by my earlier prognosis that I want a coach who preaches defense.  Give me someone from Bo Ryan's coaching pipeline (Greg Gard or Rob Jeter) so I can actually see some freaking defense for a change.  When GA hired Ferry I read all these proclamations about running and gunning.  That sounded exactly like RE's style of play.  If it didn't work for RE, why would it work for Ferry?  I also think it's asanine that Ferry is making 600,000k to coach this squad.  Spring Signing Period better impress me.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/13/2014 1:15 am  #8

Pretty much every coach we've hired since Cinicola was fired (in hindsight probably a mistake) has spouted the same thing about run and gun, and how kids love to play it, and will make it easy to recruit, bla, bla, bla. I'd love to have a team that is defense first. Sure, it can be ugly, but I'll take winning ugly over most of the last 40 years any day. It's probably easier to recruit a strong defensive team, because most coaches are looking for players who can score.

2/13/2014 8:15 am  #9

Pretty obvious this team has quit. Won't win another game.

2/13/2014 8:45 am  #10

rittersdiner wrote:

Pretty obvious this team has quit. Won't win another game.

I could have lived with a lot of observations, bad or good. That one is downright scary. Only two guys graduate, which means the rest are coming back next year. If they've thrown in the towel, it means a lack of mental toughness and it throws a lot on the shoulders of the coaches. What stops these guys from quitting next year?

Ugh.

2/13/2014 9:35 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

One good thing about it. Ferry has to know now that his two point guards, along with Jones just aren't going to cut it. Those three, along with White were 4-21. That's beyond awful. He really needs to start giving Watkins and Lewis some more floor time as well. He's got two players he can count on for next year in Mason and McCoy. Quit wasting time with Jerry Jones as well.

I'm starting to wonder if this coaching staff has a clue on the quality of player required at be an A-10 guard.  With the exception of Mason (who fell into the Dukes' lap almost by default), none of the guards on this team are truly A-10 quality starters right now.  And I'm not sure that any of them can develop into one; projected bench players all.  All of these guys are recruits that this coaching staff has signed.

2/13/2014 10:41 am  #12

Facts:  We are 3rd in the city behind Pitt and Robert Morris
            The men's team has nice kids who aren't very good at  basketball
             Amodio is responsible for this coach and this team who are not good at all - he screwed up hiring this staff, firing RE, and if he ever admits that I'll buy everyone a beer.
             I don't go to any more games (I am a season tix holder), can't even give my tickets away, and again, there are no recruits signed for next year.
             Our record is a joke since the wins (except 1) are vs. terribnle teams
             Ferry recruited these players, no one else.
             I think the Dukes should just get rid of their mens program and use the money for academics.

2/13/2014 11:04 am  #13

Now FAM. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. We need a better point guard and help at the swing position. We have three scholies to give. The kid from St. Anthony's, a marksman to complement Mason, and a tall guard who can slash coupled with Micah and McKoy (and hopefully Robinson) could make us a .500 team. I like Watkins and think Gill will improve. Improving the 1 and 4 moves Colter, Ridenour (should also get better)  and Jones to backup roles. Plus White will be better adjusted next year. I'm not looking through the rose colored glasses or smoking the same silliness I see posted elsewhere, just continuing to state what I think is obvious. Of course if Colter and Jones are in the starting lineup in November, then the Amodio/Ferry combo will start to look like the Colleary/Nee show. Except it will cost 3 times more and be done with far better facilities and amenities.

2/13/2014 11:22 am  #14

Facts:  We are 3rd in the city behind Pitt and Robert Morris
            The men's team has nice kids who aren't very good at  basketball
             Amodio is responsible for this coach and this team who are not good at all - he screwed up hiring this staff, firing RE, and if he ever admits that I'll buy everyone a beer.
             I don't go to any more games (I am a season tix holder), can't even give my tickets away, and again, there are no recruits signed for next year.
             Our record is a joke since the wins (except 1) are vs. terribnle teams
             Ferry recruited these players, no one else.
             I think the Dukes should just get rid of their mens program and use the money for academics.

2/13/2014 5:22 pm  #15

After reading the game story in the Post-Gazette, I was thrilled to see how engaged the coach and the players were in the outcome of the Pitt game, just minutes after they got their butts kicked.

In a way, I was more optimistic during Danny Nee's last year than I am today.  I knew that he was done, and we could look forward to a new coaching staff.  We certainly can't say the same thing today.

So far, I have little confidence in the ability of this staff:  1) to recruit A-10 quality players and players who can play in their system; 2) in their coaching philosophy and their system with minimal emphasis on defense; 3) regarding their game day strategy and adjustments; 4) in having the team ready to play every game; 5) to develop their players and 6) to win. 

At least SHOW ME SOMETHING instead of the garbage that we saw last night and repeatedly over the last 2 years.

2/13/2014 6:53 pm  #16

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

After reading the game story in the Post-Gazette, I was thrilled to see how engaged the coach and the players were in the outcome of the Pitt game, just minutes after they got their butts kicked.

That is pretty much all you need to know about this coach and his players.  More interested in a game on TV than their own.

2/13/2014 6:57 pm  #17

I usually consider it a total waste of time whenever the Dukes play Pitt or Richmond, but I ended up going last night.

We don't play any defense or run any plays for Mason. Micah ended up with a good statistical night, but the game was out of reach when we finally started getting him some good shots from beyond the arc.

I was mildly amused that Ferry resorted to a press & frequent substituting to keep the players' legs fresh.  After he spent all of last season crying about not having good players & needing guys who could play "his way," I found it ironic that he's resorted to playing Everhart's way.

Board footera