Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2014 8:32 am  #1

Playing to get off the Mt. Sucksmore of the A-10

I've been following Stephen Nesbitt's tweets this week about the similarities of DU and URI, which are separated in the standings only by one extra non-con win for the Rams. As bad as our point guards have been - and the struggles truly are reaching epic proportions - RI apparently is also weak at the 1 right now. The difference to me is that they're coached by a guy who played that position at a high level in college, and whose brother is an NCAA legend, and whose Dad is a HS coaching legend. If Danny Hurley has the rocks to coach at this level, he'll get it figured out. I'm certain RI is not the place he wants to make his name. I'm not quite so convinced on our end. I suspect DC does all the right things in practice, then reverts to chaos mode in games. Desmond Ridenour is very streaky, so you really can't trust him full time there. Plus you have Indiana Jones searching for the lost arc on his shot and otherwise playing very poorly, and thus a hot mess of a program right now.

To win today, Derrick Colter needs to get the ball in the hands of Soko, Mason and McKoy for good shots; Ovie Soko needs to finish strong at the hoop (give up on him learning to pass - ain't happenin'); and we need quality minutes from Watkins and Gill and even Lewis to find out if they can help us next year. I also think the freshmen give us a better chance to win than either Jones at this point, and rather than risk losing one of them give them some minutes.

Realistically, I expect another heartbreaking loss today. 78-59, something like that. Colter 1-10, with no assists and two turnovers. Soko 5 for 12 from the FT line. Mason with a line like 2-3 shooting, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 turnover and 2 steals. Watkins with 2 MP. 

I'll watch if it's on locally, but only because I used to be a newspaper reporter and the sight of gore doesn't bother me.

2/15/2014 10:51 am  #2

Re: Playing to get off the Mt. Sucksmore of the A-10

Everybody on the board was excited when Watkins signed on, and concerned when an injury delayed his participation. Now he sits on the pine. Meanwhile, it seems incredible that Jeremiah hasn't played his way out of the starting lineup by now. I really don't get it.

2/15/2014 11:24 am  #3

Speaking of Mt. Sucksmore......enshined right up front is Coach Ferry.
Here he goes AGAIN calling out and degrading one of his players in the daily paper. Is it any wonder this team has no enthusiasm and heart to play for this guy? Can't blame them. He even goes as far as letting them know how great one of his former players was at LIU, compared to what he has at Duquesne. What a D#$%!

"Scorers are scorers," Ferry said. "Guys that are true point guards play with vision."Derrick was a scorer in high school. My thing is: well, play like a scorer now, too, then. He's kind of caught in the middle, not doing either very well right now. You get to the Atlantic 10, and there are bigger guards, and it has affected him a little bit.
"Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2014/02/15/Duquesne-coach-Jim-Ferry-wants-more-of-everything-from-the-point/stories/201402150117#ixzz2tPMt8OZE

Ferry offered Jason Brickman, his former point guard at LIU-Brooklyn, as an example. Brickman leads Division I with 9.9 assists per game as a senior this season and has also seen a jump in his scoring each season."When we needed him to get 16 points per game, he could get it," Ferry said. "A lot of that had to do with decisions. When you're open, shoot it. When you're not, make plays for others."

2/15/2014 12:10 pm  #4

He's not degrading him he's giving him the benefit of the doubt. If you're going to criticize Ferry, do it for recruiting a 5-foot-something "scorer" to be his point guard. That's a case of not understanding the conference.

2/15/2014 12:11 pm  #5

And here we go again ... Three minutes into the game and Soko misses an open layup on a breakaway and Colter is 0-2 from 3, including a RIDICULOUS airball.

2/15/2014 12:20 pm  #6

Micah Mason is the best passer on this team. 

2/15/2014 12:43 pm  #7

Nice rally sparked by Ridenour to give us a big lead. Colter comes in and offensively and defensively the wheels come off. He hits a three but misses another bad one. Lead dwindling from 12 to seven with RI at the FT line (on a Colter foul).

2/15/2014 12:51 pm  #8

URI is so shorthanded. Ferry should be pressing and running as much as possible.

I would let Ridenour start the second half. He is clearly outplaying Colter.

2/15/2014 2:06 pm  #9

LG Gill found his shot today, put up 19 with one miss.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/15/2014 2:09 pm  #10

Big win. LG Gill with a breakout game. Soko great 1st half and McKoy with another solid game. Once again, curious substitutions by Ferry who had the numbers advantage but didn't play Watkins all game. After a great 1st half I don't think I saw Ridenour in the second half. Colter got his points but continues to make some ridiculously bad passes. White looked like he couldn't dribble and made some stupid passes. At least we're out of the basement.

2/15/2014 2:29 pm  #11

Bad weather up there cost me a trip to see the Dukes.  Maybe the Dukes can play there in the campus site round of the A-10 tournament.

2/15/2014 2:31 pm  #12

Nice win for the Dukes ... finally.  Good to see some positive comments on the A10 message board - recent post from a Flyer below:

Congratulations to the Dukes on the win over Rhode Island. Derrick Colter is one guy for the Dukes you don't want to foul at the end of the game. He makes 7 out of 8 for 87.5%.

The A-10 is a grind this season with everybody beating up on each other (with the exception of St. Louis) so far!  

2/15/2014 2:39 pm  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Clearly but who's number two?

2/15/2014 2:42 pm  #14

Great shooting by Gill. Hope this gives him the confidence to carry into the rest of the season.

2/15/2014 3:05 pm  #15

WashPaRick wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Clearly but who's number two?

I think it's Jerry Jones.

2/15/2014 4:56 pm  #16

Rick I have to give that some  thought. May be Jerry. Colter tossed one into  row 7 today, sure as Pitt isn't him.

2/15/2014 5:44 pm  #17

Rene Castro is leaving Butler. Can he play the point?

2/15/2014 6:23 pm  #18

More of a combo. Wouldn't mind getting him.

2/15/2014 7:30 pm  #19

ElDuque wrote:

Rick I have to give that some thought. May be Jerry. Colter tossed one into row 7 today, sure as Pitt isn't him.

I think it says a lot if Neither Colter or Ridenour are considered one of our best two passers.

2/15/2014 7:53 pm  #20

Rick if I were Ray Goss you'd hear calls like "The Dukes have gone into their stand around and watch while Colter dribbles aimlessly for a few seconds before heaving a bad shot offense." He pretty much refuses to share the rock and when he does it's a really, really bad pass.

2/16/2014 8:04 am  #21

The easiest position to recruit in major college basketbalkl is guard, because there are so many to choose from, unlike 7-footers. Why do ours stink? That is a concern to me for this program.

2/16/2014 10:43 am  #22

Two nice, yes, I said nice articles in the PGH. Post-Gazetter today on Arizona Coach Miller as one article and TJ the other article.  I wonder if our AD or President read these?  This is what we don't have - the coach - the team to go to NCAA (why we lost the player) - a winning program.  Do they even read this and understand what is needed or read it and think, "We can't do this because..."  Don't tell me they don't even read it - because they do.

2/16/2014 3:33 pm  #23

FAM wrote:

Two nice, yes, I said nice articles in the PGH. Post-Gazetter today on Arizona Coach Miller as one article and TJ the other article.  I wonder if our AD or President read these?  This is what we don't have - the coach - the team to go to NCAA (why we lost the player) - a winning program.  Do they even read this and understand what is needed or read it and think, "We can't do this because..."  Don't tell me they don't even read it - because they do.

You guys act like it's easy. It's not. URI hired a coach that everyone thought was a grand slam hire. Yet, reading their board after the game, I thought I was reading this board. People questioning if Hurley was in over his head, complaining about the lack of an A10 caliber point guard, wondering about the lack of recruits for next year. Sean Miller is at Arizona, an elite program. Danny Nee could recruit at Arizona. It's a lot tougher at a program that has done next to nothing in the last 40 years, and plays in a league that is very tough, but lacks the glamour that might attract some kids to play for a lesser program, because they want to play in the league. DePaul is a much more well known school that Duquesne, plays in a much higher profile league, and plays in a much more glamorous city, with tons of high level talent, yet they continue to struggle. It's hard raise a program that's been down for decades. I don't know what else to say. Schools like Duquesne have to get lucky, and snag a young coach who is a future star in the game. How do you identify such guys? In 1978, Duquesne could have gone after Mike Krzyzewski instead of hiring Mike Rice. How about maybe hiring Rick Pitino in 1982? You just never know. I'm not ready to give up on Ferry just yet though. The league is going to be softer next year. We'll have a better idea of things by the end of next year.

2/16/2014 4:45 pm  #24

I think that some of the youth and JC transfer White are having a hard time adjusting to the quickness and well coached teams they are running into in conference games.

Two more recruiting classes and having some four year players will help the Dukes be competitive in A-10.

The guards are a disappointment but are young or in the case of Jerry Jones this isn't the system he was recruited for.

Coach Ferry has won in the past and is probably the best guy to have on board now because he isn't a young kid and is being paid well to solidify the mens BB program.

hey, I will always be a fan, but like many posters here are disappointed, but not giving up.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/16/2014 5:46 pm  #25

Phildog wrote:

I think that some of the youth and JC transfer White are having a hard time adjusting to the quickness and well coached teams they are running into in conference games.

Two more recruiting classes and having some four year players will help the Dukes be competitive in A-10.

The guards are a disappointment but are young or in the case of Jerry Jones this isn't the system he was recruited for.

Coach Ferry has won in the past and is probably the best guy to have on board now because he isn't a young kid and is being paid well to solidify the mens BB program.

hey, I will always be a fan, but like many posters here are disappointed, but not giving up.

I think the problem with White is this; in JC, he was quick enough to beat his man, and the inside players were either small, or slow. He's too small to go inside at this level, and there are many guys with more size who can match his quickness. He also doesn't shoot well enough to make the d guard him tightly, where he might be able to get past slower guards.

Board footera