Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2014 6:23 am  #1

Props for the Dukes ... and a great memory

Dickie Vitale was tweeting about Penn State and Arkansas winning last night ... made sure the Dukes got some love as well.

My tweet: No love from @DickieV ... guess the #DUQMBB win over top 20 Detroit in '77 still stings ... ;o) Still the upset of the night. Go #Dukes!

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 7h: Norm Nixon was the star that night - ended our 21 game win streak.

2/28/2014 8:32 am  #2

Re: Props for the Dukes ... and a great memory

Isn't it nice to be recognized for beating a top-10 team rathan than being recognized as the school that TJ McConnell left? These are the wins that get the attention of recruits.

2/28/2014 8:53 am  #3

Congratulations to the staff, the coaches and especially the players.  You earned a big win!  May you enjoy many more.  Let's Go Dukes!

2/28/2014 11:35 am  #4

ElDuque wrote:

Dickie Vitale was tweeting about Penn State and Arkansas winning last night ... made sure the Dukes got some love as well.

My tweet: No love from @DickieV ... guess the #DUQMBB win over top 20 Detroit in '77 still stings ... ;o) Still the upset of the night. Go #Dukes!

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 7h: Norm Nixon was the star that night - ended our 21 game win streak.

Nice job, ED.  You got him to tweet about The Dukes big win and respond directly to you. A nice PR daily double.

2/28/2014 12:18 pm  #5

I slept on this win and woke up still thinking about it. I saw some great moves by Des Ridenour in first half that he didn't finish. He got into foul trouble and didn't really play much if at all in 2nd half and once Jerry got hot he and Jay Jones were pine bound the rest of the night.

Des did some drives and cross overs that with a little confidence he could play the three and help. His leaping ability and rebounding could make him a 10-5 guy.

DC only shot 3 times but played a good floor game, White with two treys helped, McCoy getting lose inside in 2nd half really helped. Okies 12 were great, since he was always a threat but others scored.

Mason, what good fortune he came back to Pgh.to play, I would like to see him continue to get some point play and always get the ball when we are closing out a game.

I have been frustrated this year but with a little more effort Duquesne could be 15-11 at this point, last night is why I have followed this school so long, congrats to all in the Duquesne family.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/28/2014 12:29 pm  #6

I'm out of town and only found out now.  Wow.  Great job Dukes!

2/28/2014 1:33 pm  #7

Derrick Colter had five assists and three shots, and Duquesne won a big game. He played under control, showed better court vision than I've seen from him in other games, and made a lot of passes late in the game that I thought were absolutely brilliant -- right guy, right time. Kudos and big-time props to DC.

Tra'Vaughn White hit some important baskets for us last night. That should not be overlooked.

The formula of Soko and Mason getting most of the shots and the emergence, I hope, of Jerry Jones as a third scoring option could make us very tough down the stretch and into the tournament. McKoy in the paint, and a more selective DC, and some help from Gill and White will also go a long way.

For those old enough to remember, Jerry Jones could be the Don Maser of this team. Mase was the guy who stepped up during the ECAC title run in '77 to take some of the scoring burden off of Nixon's shoulders.

Without sounding like I'm getting too carried away, there's no reason that a combination of luck and matchups couldn't result in a similar type of run if the Dukes get hot. In '77, an upset win by UMass (over Rutgers, I believe), and an injury to Villanova's best player turned into a tournament title for us. We'd have to win, what, four games in a row? Would have to be the right opponenents and maybe some luck would be needed in terms of a sparined wrist, a turned ankle, some foul troubles, etc., but with a shooter like Mason and a scorer like Soko, we'll have a puncher's chance.

But before we dream that dream, we have to get past UMass and G-Mason on the road. Neither game will be easy.

2/28/2014 2:19 pm  #8

It was great to see our guys making the smart plays when STL tried to come out and guard.  We had several back door cuts, and  Domo got open for an easy deuce on a sweet slip screen.  Good vision by the guards, DC, and Micah making some nice passes; and Mr Jones looking like you had a lot of fun out there last night!  MIcah just being Micah!  Ovie, playing hard as usual, hitting free throws and making an insane block of a shot, which was incorrectly called basket interference.  The replay showed it was a good block.  Trey and Jermiah making plays to keep us alive when things were tight. LG and Dez playing with attitude!.  Everyone played a role, thanks guys, and congratulations.

2/28/2014 3:39 pm  #9

The Dukes are currently holders of "The Championship Belt"
http://beanpothoops.com/

2/28/2014 3:48 pm  #10

keep dreaming,,,they beat temple by 1 point or so last year in philly,,i was there,,,you really think the dukes are on there way?,,the way to what ?  stuff happens,,shots dont fall,,and watch out,,colter is going to shoot more next game,,because he thinks he is the man

2/28/2014 4:43 pm  #11

A-10 Fan wrote:

keep dreaming,,,they beat temple by 1 point or so last year in philly,,i was there,,,you really think the dukes are on there way?,,the way to what ? stuff happens,,shots dont fall,,and watch out,,colter is going to shoot more next game,,because he thinks he is the man

I dont know what it means.  But I will enjoy a quality win the day after it happens and you wont piss on my enjoyment of it. 

Last edited by duqkurt (2/28/2014 4:45 pm)

2/28/2014 4:55 pm  #12

enjoy it..and enjoy more losses to come...it`s the coach,,don`t you get it?

2/28/2014 6:51 pm  #13

A-10 Fan wrote:

enjoy it..and enjoy more losses to come...it`s the coach,,don`t you get it?

I get it. 100%.   I understand that you don't support DU.

3/02/2014 10:45 pm  #14

Great win for the Dukes, for sure.

I note that St. Louis has given up more than 70 points only 3 times all year, & 2 of those times were against the Dukes.  The old boxing trainers have a saying, styles make fights.  So is it a case of St. Louis somehow not matching up well with this edition of the Dukes or have the Dukes really turned a corner?  I guess I'll be more convinced if they make a decent showing in the final 2 games.

Meanwhile---yeah, it was a quality win, & I enjoyed it.  I've been getting congrats from friends who couldn't even pronounce Duquesne before last Wednesday.

Board footera