Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2014 8:01 am  #1

St. Louis

I don't think there's any sense in providing a scouting report on St. Louis. This is one of the best teams in the country. It starts five seniors. Jim Crews is a smart coach. The Billikens defend the basket like they're protecting their life savings. St. Louis will probably be a Sweet 16, maybe an Elite 8, maybe better. 

We are going to die.

Or are we?

We've been in this position before. 

March 5, 1958. Six months before I was even born. Dudey Moore, in his last season, had a 9-11 team going up against #20 St. Bonaventure. Dukes won, 77-54.

February 10, 1960. Red Manning's second season, which would end with an 8-15 record. Dukes beat #15 Dayton, 79-66.

March 1, 1961. Dukes would finish 14-7 under Manning. They would also beat #2 St. Bonaventure at home in OT, 79-74.

February 6, 1966. Duquesne again wins 14 games under Manning, Beats #4 Providence in OT at home, 78-76.

January 31, 1974. Red's last season as coach, a 12-12 finish. But a win at home over #9 Providence.

February 19, 1977. John Cinicola was DU's coach. A memorable game for me because I was a freshman. Norm Nixon was a senior. Dukes finished 15-15, but won the A-10 Tournament and made the NCAAs. But when Dickie V.'s Detroit Titans came to the Civic Arena, DU was 11-12 and Detroit was #15 in the country. Nixon punctuated the double overtime 95-88 thriller with a breakaway dunk that brought the house down.

December 15, 1992. Dukes would finish 13-15 in a less-than-memorable year before making the NITs the next year. But John Carroll's Dukes somehow trumped Florida State with Charlie Ward and Bob Sura 91-84 with Effrem Whitehead having the game of his career. I was getting the score every 10 minutes on WINS news radio in NY (my dial up connection would not have supported any internet presentation of the game, even if one had been available). If I remember right, we were down by a lot, when all of a sudden the report was that we were only down by a point or two. I thought the reporter had read it wrong. Curious, I called the media table, where a young lady who was working for the SID picked up. I explained who I was - just an alumni trying to follow the score - and asked if the report was correct. She said it was, there were a couple minutes left (there was a TO at the time). I asked if it would be OK to call back in a couple minutes to check on the score. She offered to keep me on the phone and tell me what was happening. She did a great play-by-play job and I got to hear the thrilling finish. 

February 27, 2009. Ron Everhart's Dukes were in the midst of a 21 win season and a trip to the A-10 finals and NIT, but no one could have expected the 72-68 win over #9 Xavier. Still like to watch the end of that game on YouTube and Billy Clark's reaction with the fans afterwards.

January 15, 2011. I wouldn't have believed it could have happened so quickly since the last home upset of a ranked team, but there we were, in a televised game, bludgeoning #19 Temple 78-66.

Now I realize that this is a small sample, spread out over more than half a century, but the truth is that if you're old enough to read this you've seen it happen in your lifetime. What does it take? Stifling defense? Lights-out shooting? A record-breaking night for someone?

Not that it can't happen that way, but the way I remember most of these upsets was that someone simply stepped up and gave us a memorable if not record-setting performance. And that the crowd, sensing something good was happening, really got into the game.

I can see this happening Wednesday, if ...

For example, Domo McKoy has a ton of offensive rebounds fall into his hands that result in putbacks and FTs, and a 25-12 kind of game.

Or, for example, Tra'vaughn White finds the crack in the St. Louis defense and seems unstoppable while he's on the floor.

Or, Ovie Soko has a game where he reminds us of Damien Saunders, or Bruce Atkins.

Or, or, or. Pick a hero, or let the game pick a hero, but it would be very cool to add another of these upsets to our list.

1/21/2014 9:54 am  #2

Re: St. Louis

Great trip down memory lane, E.D.  Thanks for the post.  And........ the wins were posted by teams no better or worse that what we have now.  It is so nice to see some positive vibes on this board.  And.........yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!  Of course...... there is always the Grinch!!!

1/21/2014 9:59 am  #3

I left out some of the great wins achieved over rankes teams when we were a ranked team, and could go toe-to-toe with anyone. Goes without saying, even if we were ranked lower at the time, they were heavyweight battles and no real surprise when DU came out on top.

Not to be nosy, by how many of these do you remember?

1/21/2014 10:16 am  #4

We will lose by at least 30 unless he tries something else.

1/21/2014 11:02 am  #5

Quite a history of upsets.  This one is in the bag!

1/21/2014 12:51 pm  #6

Let me think for a minute.  First, I was at the Florida State game and had it taped by a neighbor.  Gave the tape to Howie Rupert when he came in with the Carroll regime.  Then there was the upset of Temple at the Civic Arena when Mark Beavers of Sto-Rox had the game of a lifetime.  Don't remember all the details. Then there was Cincy with 6'9" and about 325 lbs Paul Hogue, 6'10" Connie Dierking,etc. and we had 6'3" Mike Rice and and 6'5" John Cegalis and 6'3" Denny Cuff and 6'2" Paul Benec inside and we upset them at the Field House, ..........and then his mind wandered.  Back in a couple of days after Grampap rewinds my memory glands.  Actually my all time favorite was when Alan Watkins stole the show in  New Mexico and we beat a highly favored UAB team coached by the former UCLA coach Gene. "the clean" Bartow.  His one-handed in three of your faces dunk make Ovie Soko's highlight dunk look like a lay-up.  Ah.... for the good times!!!!  Back to reality.

Last edited by grammudder (1/21/2014 12:52 pm)

1/21/2014 2:30 pm  #7

Alan Watkins and Mark Gilbert were men. Watkins, one of my all-time favorites as well, looked like a 30-something Rust Bowl candidate when he was 17, but could he ball. Gilbert was cut down by injury or illness before his time. Now that I think about it, wasn't it a heart condition?

I think Jordan Robinson, if we ever get to see him play, will remind us of a taller, more muscular Watkins, and his tummy won't peek at us when he shoots FTs.

1/21/2014 2:52 pm  #8

A couple of others for your archives: I don't know the dates, but those who saw them or listened on the radio will remember:

Dukes with Norm Nixon in control, won the Oregon Holiday Tourney, by beating a heavily favored Oregon Ducks team that featured future NBA player Greg Ballard. 

In a battle of two real heavyweights the Dukes took on Bob Lanier, Matt Gant and possibly Jim Satalin, (not sure about him) in a Saturday matinee at the Civic Arena, which was carried as the game of the week on ECAC TV.  The Dukes won it over Lanier and the highly ranked Bonnies.

Dukes under Mike Rice with BB Flenory, Bruce Atkins, and Doug Arnold traveled to play a highly regarded Villanove team at the Palestra.  I had the pleasure of making that trip as well.  Bruce got tossed for an elbow after only a few minutes of play, but in a gutty performance the Dukes prevailed and looked like the legitimate better team.

This one goes back to my grade school days, Villanova coached by Jack Kraft and a strong team featuring future pro Howard Porter came to the Civic Arena to face the Dukes with likes of Bill Zopf and Willie Hines and many others.  The Dukes won this one easily, and cleared the bench before the end. 

I did attend the thrilling last second victory over top ten ranked Providence, with Marvin "Bad News" Barnes, and Kevin Stacom; down by a point with only seconds remaining Norm Nixon stole the inbounds pass near mid court  in a flash of speed and anticipation, and found an unguarded Bernie O'Keefe under the basket for the winner.  A memorable party was held after that one, with Marvin Barnes dropping in with Lionel "Big Train" Billingy of the Dukes.  Classes were unofficially cancelled; at least for many of the partygoers the next day!

Last edited by levon1975 (1/21/2014 2:54 pm)

1/21/2014 3:07 pm  #9

The Sunday in 1971 when the Dukes beat Notre Dame in OT.  ND was led by Austin Carr the 1971 national player of the year.  I went to the game with several friends and relatives who were ND fans who were not very happy.  I believe it was two weeks later that ND knocked off UCLA to snap their 88 game win streak.  

Last edited by CLK (1/21/2014 3:11 pm)

1/21/2014 7:10 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

A couple of others for your archives: I don't know the dates, but those who saw them or listened on the radio will remember:

Dukes with Norm Nixon in control, won the Oregon Holiday Tourney, by beating a heavily favored Oregon Ducks team that featured future NBA player Greg Ballard. 

In a battle of two real heavyweights the Dukes took on Bob Lanier, Matt Gant and possibly Jim Satalin, (not sure about him) in a Saturday matinee at the Civic Arena, which was carried as the game of the week on ECAC TV.  The Dukes won it over Lanier and the highly ranked Bonnies.

Dukes under Mike Rice with BB Flenory, Bruce Atkins, and Doug Arnold traveled to play a highly regarded Villanove team at the Palestra.  I had the pleasure of making that trip as well.  Bruce got tossed for an elbow after only a few minutes of play, but in a gutty performance the Dukes prevailed and looked like the legitimate better team.

This one goes back to my grade school days, Villanova coached by Jack Kraft and a strong team featuring future pro Howard Porter came to the Civic Arena to face the Dukes with likes of Bill Zopf and Willie Hines and many others.  The Dukes won this one easily, and cleared the bench before the end. 

I did attend the thrilling last second victory over top ten ranked Providence, with Marvin "Bad News" Barnes, and Kevin Stacom; down by a point with only seconds remaining Norm Nixon stole the inbounds pass near mid court  in a flash of speed and anticipation, and found an unguarded Bernie O'Keefe under the basket for the winner.  A memorable party was held after that one, with Marvin Barnes dropping in with Lionel "Big Train" Billingy of the Dukes.  Classes were unofficially cancelled; at least for many of the partygoers the next day!

was at the Providence game, when the ball went out to O'Keefe, a good shooter with real long arms and about 6-4' we were all screaming , No,No, Yes as he swished a 20 plus footer, good for two and Dukes won another upset. The old Civic Arena was rocking that night.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/21/2014 7:16 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

Alan Watkins and Mark Gilbert were men. Watkins, one of my all-time favorites as well, looked like a 30-something Rust Bowl candidate when he was 17, but could he ball. Gilbert was cut down by injury or illness before his time. Now that I think about it, wasn't it a heart condition?

I think Jordan Robinson, if we ever get to see him play, will remind us of a taller, more muscular Watkins, and his tummy won't peek at us when he shoots FTs.

Watkins was a big guy at 6-5 and at least 280' he was a great guy, I used to set next to him when he sat out Freshman year as a Prop 48, Mark Gilbert had a heart condition that cut short his career, he was mechanical inside but could score and hit the trey also

A diehard fan since 1961

1/21/2014 7:34 pm  #12

Quick

1/21/2014 7:49 pm  #13

The money chick from CNBC?

1/21/2014 9:33 pm  #14

CLK wrote:

The Sunday in 1971 when the Dukes beat Notre Dame in OT.  ND was led by Austin Carr the 1971 national player of the year.  I went to the game with several friends and relatives who were ND fans who were not very happy.  I believe it was two weeks later that ND knocked off UCLA to snap their 88 game win streak.  

Clk my good friend would that ND fan be The Ghost Of Tradition? Aka Johnny...

1/21/2014 9:47 pm  #15

Iron duke II wrote:

CLK wrote:

Yes.  I had to step in between him and my brother after the game as it became a bit heated.  Ask him about it some day. 

1/21/2014 9:53 pm  #16

CLK wrote:

Iron duke II wrote:

CLK wrote:

Yes.  I had to step in between him and my brother after the game as it became a bit heated.  Ask him about it some day. 

I will when I see him @ 800am mass this Sunday. Oh by the way I look @ espn @ PITT up 30 over Clemson wow!

1/22/2014 11:10 am  #17

The party you mention Levon was at my third floor apartment.   You couldn't have gotten another soul in there, and, as such, some were out on the roof (Kip?)   Marvin did arrive, was leery of the scene, then, relaxing, had a grand old time.  Too grand by some standards.  Few made it to class the next day as most were still there.   

1/22/2014 11:10 am  #18

3/04/2014 5:48 pm  #19

December 15, 1992. Dukes would finish 13-15 in a less-than-memorable year before making the NITs the next year. But John Carroll's Dukes somehow trumped Florida State with Charlie Ward and Bob Sura 91-84 with Effrem Whitehead having the game of his career. I was getting the score every 10 minutes on WINS news radio in NY (my dial up connection would not have supported any internet presentation of the game, even if one had been available). If I remember right, we were down by a lot, when all of a sudden the report was that we were only down by a point or two. I thought the reporter had read it wrong. Curious, I called the media table, where a young lady who was working for the SID picked up. I explained who I was - just an alumni trying to follow the score - and asked if the report was correct. She said it was, there were a couple minutes left (there was a TO at the time). I asked if it would be OK to call back in a couple minutes to check on the score. She offered to keep me on the phone and tell me what was happening. She did a great play-by-play job and I got to hear the thrilling finish. 
                                                                                                         ☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀
I was at that game.  A great game for the Dukes!  Charlie Ward was a member of Florida State's basketball roster, but did not play in that game.  Ward was the QB of the football team and Heisman Trophy winner who went on to lead Florida State to win the NCAA football championship in January 1993.

From Wikipedia: "He [Ward] played a shortened season his senior year, joining the basketball team just 15 days after winning the Heisman Trophy. He started 16 games at the point guard position that year, and averaged a college career high of 10.5 points and 4.9 assists for the season."  

In my opinion Bob Sura was the by far the best player on any of the Dukes' opponents played at the Palumbo Center that season.

Last edited by godukes1970 (3/04/2014 11:59 pm)

Board footera