Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2014 9:11 am  #1

Expectations for next season

Where are you setting your expectations for next year? We keep hearing the "brick by brick" and "sustainability" mantras, but is it fair to start sasking the question: When exactly do we expect to see this program emerge as a next level program?

Ferry's success at LIU took a long time to achieve, and by the time he got the Blackbirds to the NCAA Tournament, none of "the bricks" he recruited early were around to enjoy the success.

The key to winning is having players, period. We read a lot about the "bare cupboard" that Ferry inherited from a team that went 16-15 and 7-9 in the A-10. His first recruiting class yielded one player that I really liked, Winters, and he's gone already. Colter is not a top tier PG in the A-10, and he gets eaten alive by better PGs. Jeremiah Jones is a bench player who logs as many minutes as anyone in the program, and brings little to the table.

Mason and McKoy are legitimate A-10 starters, but you need to add players at key positions (e.g., point guard) if you want at least Mason to have a winning season before he graduates. McKoy might come close next season, and then gain, if Colter and Jeremiah Jones are starters, he may not.

For all of the eternal bashing of Everhart, which I've come to accept will never cease, here is what he inherited: 3-24, 1-15 in the A-10. In his first season, with a depleted roster, the shootings, and far less in terms of structure and support that Ferry has, Ron delivered a 10-18 record and 6-10 in the A-10. Year 2 was 17-13/7-9, and Year 3 was 21-13/9-7. 

Ferry's first two are 8-22/1-15 and 13-17/5-11.

I understand that it takes time to bring in his players, establish his offense and defense, coach his guys, what, the whole thing. I get that. I appreciate the 5-game/4 game improvement because that's +50%/+400%. I get that the non-conference schedule was filled with more cupcakes than Muheisen's Bakery, but you still have to beat teams. I appreciate playing so many close games late in the year and the win over St. Louis, which was huge. But many of the games we failed to close, and we lost two games to teams that were missing key players. In January, St. Joe's handed us what might be the most embarrassing loss I've seen since Calipari used to run up the score.

That all brings us back to where we are: What can we expect next season, and when exactly do we produce a winning season, or enter into that "next level?"

I think these are fair questions to ask. Look at what Towson University has done practically overnight. Look at the success other programs have had building sustainable winning programs, less with talk and more with players. Folks keep wanting to compare Ferry to guys who have struggled their first couple of years, and I think if you want to be talking about building a winning program, you should be focusing on the models that work.

When do we get there? Before you can be "sustainable," you have to to it once.

3/15/2014 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Expectations for next season

Well  I'm not sure.  It would just be nice not to suck.  It is painful year after to year to see other teams and fan bases get to experience success.  While we spin our wheels year after year. 

Unless they bring in a Soko like 5th year transfer again, I think we will be at best similar to this year.

3/15/2014 3:03 pm  #3

One thought I had, similar to Kurt's: If there were three guys out there who were impact players looking to transfer, but you didn't get to use them next year, would you do something like that? I think I would, because as Kurt said, short of a miracle showing up we're not looking at another 5 game improvement next year, at least IMHO.

3/15/2014 5:25 pm  #4

We lost our best player from a 13-17 team. So unless Amonia can schedule some Division II teams and pass them off for lower Division I programs, I see 11 wins tops. I see nothing from the returning group that makes me think things will continue to improve. Any recruit will take time to develop. You are looking at another two years of this and then, who knows?

3/15/2014 5:52 pm  #5

Ron inherited AJAX and Achara but not much else. If it weren't for the shootings, he would have had Baldonado and Ashalou on his first team here. With these four and his other recruits, his first year might have been .500 or even better - close to 20 wins. It's tough to suceed though when your boss makes life difficult.

3/15/2014 5:56 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Where are you setting your expectations for next year? We keep hearing the "brick by brick" and "sustainability" mantras, but is it fair to start sasking the question: When exactly do we expect to see this program emerge as a next level program?

Ferry's success at LIU took a long time to achieve, and by the time he got the Blackbirds to the NCAA Tournament, none of "the bricks" he recruited early were around to enjoy the success.

The key to winning is having players, period. We read a lot about the "bare cupboard" that Ferry inherited from a team that went 16-15 and 7-9 in the A-10. His first recruiting class yielded one player that I really liked, Winters, and he's gone already. Colter is not a top tier PG in the A-10, and he gets eaten alive by better PGs. Jeremiah Jones is a bench player who logs as many minutes as anyone in the program, and brings little to the table.

Mason and McKoy are legitimate A-10 starters, but you need to add players at key positions (e.g., point guard) if you want at least Mason to have a winning season before he graduates. McKoy might come close next season, and then gain, if Colter and Jeremiah Jones are starters, he may not.

For all of the eternal bashing of Everhart, which I've come to accept will never cease, here is what he inherited: 3-24, 1-15 in the A-10. In his first season, with a depleted roster, the shootings, and far less in terms of structure and support that Ferry has, Ron delivered a 10-18 record and 6-10 in the A-10. Year 2 was 17-13/7-9, and Year 3 was 21-13/9-7. 

Ferry's first two are 8-22/1-15 and 13-17/5-11.

I understand that it takes time to bring in his players, establish his offense and defense, coach his guys, what, the whole thing. I get that. I appreciate the 5-game/4 game improvement because that's +50%/+400%. I get that the non-conference schedule was filled with more cupcakes than Muheisen's Bakery, but you still have to beat teams. I appreciate playing so many close games late in the year and the win over St. Louis, which was huge. But many of the games we failed to close, and we lost two games to teams that were missing key players. In January, St. Joe's handed us what might be the most embarrassing loss I've seen since Calipari used to run up the score.

That all brings us back to where we are: What can we expect next season, and when exactly do we produce a winning season, or enter into that "next level?"

I think these are fair questions to ask. Look at what Towson University has done practically overnight. Look at the success other programs have had building sustainable winning programs, less with talk and more with players. Folks keep wanting to compare Ferry to guys who have struggled their first couple of years, and I think if you want to be talking about building a winning program, you should be focusing on the models that work.

When do we get there? Before you can be "sustainable," you have to to it once.

I agree with most of this, but let's be fair, Ferry didn't inherit a 16-15 team (with one win vs a D2 team). The two best players by a mile on that team, and the reason they were decent, were BJ and TJ, neither of whom were inherited by Ferry. In fact, you can argue that the next two best players were Eric Evans, and Mike Talley, and neither of them were inherited either. The fact that none of the guys who were run off have done anything, is telling. The cupboard was indeed, pretty bare. That said, it's Ferry's job to replinish the cupboard. So far, the results have been underwhelming, although he gets a small pass because we just don't know what we have in Robinson, which is not really his fault. Robinson and Watkins were his best recruits. One got a very late start, and the other didn't play. How they progress will play a large role in whether Ferry gets the job done or not. If they both flop, he's going to probably fail. If both become good players, we'll return to being a winning team, but we need better play at the 1 and 3 if we want to surpass what Ron did. I'll be watching Gill closely this summer, and next season as well. My expectation from jump has always been that we need to be a 17-19 win team by year 4. That would put us in good shape moving forward, as Ferry has set up the roster in such a way that we will not be killed by graduation as we move forward. McCoy will be the only key loss after year 3, and if the young bigs on the team aren't ready to fill his spot the following year, then we'll be going nowhere anyway. My year 4 lineup might look like this:
Robinson (soph)
Watkins (jr)
Gill (jr)
Mason (sr)
New point guard (soph)
Lewis ought to be capable of contributing off the bench by then
J Jones will play a role similar to what Jerry did this year.
The other players Ferry brings in this spring will need to be effective reserves.
If, and it's a big if, that team can be a 17-19 win team that is .500 in league play, then we will be positioned to seriously contend in year 5, even with the loss of Mason. Other than bringing in a pg, or landing a JC player who can step into the rotation like McCoy did, Ferry is going to have to get it done with the guys who are already on the roster. As for next year, my goal is for us to have a winning record. The OOC schedule has to be better, but still not daunting. The A10 won't be as good next year. Basically, beat Bobby Mo, no New Hampshire type losses, and win one of those heartbreakers we lost late in the year.

This is not a prediction, it's more a statement of what we need to do if Ferry is going to be successful. I'm being fairly conservative with this. There is always the chance that a couple of players could really blow up, and take the team with them, but I'm trying to list things that could more easily happen.
Also, while there is no doubt that Ferry has more to work with than Ron did, Ron had far more to work with than Danny Nee, and especially DAP did. They've been putting more and more into the program over the last decade. Also, while Nee's last team was terrible, he actually didn't leave the cupboard bare. Kieron was injured early in his junior year, which is the main reason (other than Nee's poor coaching) that the team only won 3 games. Ron inherited Kieron, as well as Aaron Jackson, who actually had a nice freshman year under Nee. There was nothing remotely close to that left behind for Ferry. Nee didn't leave many players, but the two he left were very nice pieces.
Also, keep in mind that it's tough to compare records for a school in the A10, to one in the NEC. Ferry went 10-8 in league play in his third year at LIU, and 8-8 in his fourth. These records are comparable to some of RE's records at Duquesne. The difference is the overall record, because NEC schools have to whore themselves out during ooc play, while A10 schools can actually buy a few whores. Conference record is the best indicator of how well a coach is doing. After his first two years, which were very bad, Ferry was only below .500 twice during the next 8 seasons. RE was below .500 4 of his 6 years at Duquesne. The difference was in ooc play, where Ron posted a much better record, as should be expected. The point of this is not to knock Ron, who did a good job in a very tough place to win, but to show that Ferry did more during his early years at LIU than he's given credit for.

3/15/2014 6:00 pm  #7

Jim Ferry has to find ways to get Mason open shots. He has to design plays that get him open - and there have to be enough new plays to get him shots when the opposition adapts to defend existing plays. This is one of the things I would look for next year in assessing the progress he is making in becoming the next level coach he is supposed to be.

3/15/2014 6:24 pm  #8

Westender wrote:

Jim Ferry has to find ways to get Mason open shots. He has to design plays that get him open - and there have to be enough new plays to get him shots when the opposition adapts to defend existing plays. This is one of the things I would look for next year in assessing the progress he is making in becoming the next level coach he is supposed to be.

Agree 100% with this. Mason has to work harder to get open as well. I will cut both of them some slack here though. Mason was a late addition, and wasn't cleared until the season started. Plus, I doubt that Ferry expected him to be such a key player, thus, they likely didn't get as much of a chance to come up with plays for him as they might have liked. With an entire offseason, this should be a no brainer.

Also, can we please stop hitting Ferry over the head with the "next level" thing.  Ferry never declared himself to be next level anything. Greg made those statements. I know you're really taking a swing at Greg, but it comes off as rip on Ferry, which is really not fair to him. Recruits read this board.

3/15/2014 7:06 pm  #9

duq81, the main point I was making was that I don't have a lot of confidence at this point that year 3 of the Ferry era is going to be better than year 2. Without Soko, who despite his flaws was a difference maker, and with talk of moving Mason to PG, and with Watkins and Robinson being unknown quantities, I'm concerned. I agree with you that if Ferry is going to be successful, next year is a good time to show something. Another win season, or even a 10-12 win season, will tell me the following year will be no better, and the earliest we will be able to hope for a shot at .500 will be after Mason graduates.

Really, will anyone be around to care any more?

3/16/2014 7:41 am  #10

It all comes down to recruiting. Ferry either fishes or cut bait with this next class because it will define whether he is here two years from now. I have this strange feeling he only took the job for the money, because it was a boat load for a bad program. Bring in talent and you win. It's on his shoulders now.

3/16/2014 2:51 pm  #11

rittersdiner wrote:

It all comes down to recruiting. Ferry either fishes or cut bait with this next class because it will define whether he is here two years from now. I have this strange feeling he only took the job for the money, because it was a boat load for a bad program. Bring in talent and you win. It's on his shoulders now.

They need two more players, but they better be good. We finally have size, no more 6-5 post players, but the talent level has to improve in the recruits he brings in.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/16/2014 4:06 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

These records are comparable to some of RE's records at Duquesne. The difference is the overall record, because NEC schools have to whore themselves out during ooc play, while A10 schools can actually buy a few whores. Conference record is the best indicator of how well a coach is doing.

Wow, that's a great analytical thought there Duq81!  I never thought of that out of conference thing before.  Coaching in the lesser leagues means your AD is going to schedule you some guaranteed beatdowns in OOC, so its what you do in conference and in our conference tourney that really matters.  Thanks.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/16/2014 4:54 pm  #13

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

These records are comparable to some of RE's records at Duquesne. The difference is the overall record, because NEC schools have to whore themselves out during ooc play, while A10 schools can actually buy a few whores. Conference record is the best indicator of how well a coach is doing.

Wow, that's a great analytical thought there Duq81!  I never thought of that out of conference thing before.  Coaching in the lesser leagues means your AD is going to schedule you some guaranteed beatdowns in OOC, so its what you do in conference and in our conference tourney that really matters.  Thanks.

Unless you are dominating your conference already, like a Gonzaga, the goal of most teams should be to compete well in league play. In the A10, we have an advantage over low and mid major leagues, in that we really don't need to play "buy" games on the road. We can also pad our records by hosting a few cupcakes. Unfortunately, we still have to schedule some tough games, including road games vs tough mid majors, along with a regular game or two against a nearby power conference team. Some schools are lucky enough to have a home and home, or neutral site game with these schools. Others are required to always play on the road. It gets worse as you climb down the D1 ladder. Schools in leagues like the NEC rarely get even a decent mid major to play at their place, and have to play most of their ooc games either against schools from peer leagues, or go on the road as a cupcake. Thus, if you look at records at the end of ooc play, the big leagues will have nearly all of their teams with 10 or more wins, while most low major leagues will have a ton of teams with losing records. At the end of the year, only the elite teams in low major leagues will be well above .500.

3/17/2014 7:15 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Unless you are dominating your conference already, like a Gonzaga, the goal of most teams should be to compete well in league play. In the A10, we have an advantage over low and mid major leagues, in that we really don't need to play "buy" games on the road. We can also pad our records by hosting a few cupcakes. Unfortunately, we still have to schedule some tough games, including road games vs tough mid majors, along with a regular game or two against a nearby power conference team. Some schools are lucky enough to have a home and home, or neutral site game with these schools. Others are required to always play on the road. It gets worse as you climb down the D1 ladder. Schools in leagues like the NEC rarely get even a decent mid major to play at their place, and have to play most of their ooc games either against schools from peer leagues, or go on the road as a cupcake. Thus, if you look at records at the end of ooc play, the big leagues will have nearly all of their teams with 10 or more wins, while most low major leagues will have a ton of teams with losing records. At the end of the year, only the elite teams in low major leagues will be well above .500.

All that is true. But look at it this way. When Duquesne played Duke in 2008 on ESPN, did you watch? Of course you did. So did tens of thousands of possible recruits. I understand you can't fill your OOC schedule with major powers, but those games never hurt. The players are excited. The game was fairly close for a while and Duquesne gets much needed notice.

3/17/2014 9:55 am  #15

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

All that is true. But look at it this way. When Duquesne played Duke in 2008 on ESPN, did you watch? Of course you did. So did tens of thousands of possible recruits. I understand you can't fill your OOC schedule with major powers, but those games never hurt. The players are excited. The game was fairly close for a while and Duquesne gets much needed notice.

I love to see a big name team on the schedule, but overall, the schedule has to be fairly weak. This is mandated by the league, as they want all of the teams to win at least 7-8 games ooc, as not to wreck the rpi of the better teams in the league. This philosophy works, as 6 teams in the NCAA's shows. Pitt, WVU, and a road game vs a big name team is what you want. The rest should be lower level teams, but a bit better than what they played this year, although I like that they played some of the dregs on the road, which at least allowed you to take something from those games.

3/17/2014 3:42 pm  #16

Carlow U. to start a men's basketball program in the fall - [size=200]Well, bad news - soon we will be # 4 in the city.

Did I mention that the women made the NCAA for Robert Morris.[/size]

Last edited by FAM (3/17/2014 3:47 pm)

3/17/2014 4:34 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I love to see a big name team on the schedule, but overall, the schedule has to be fairly weak. This is mandated by the league, as they want all of the teams to win at least 7-8 games ooc, as not to wreck the rpi of the better teams in the league. This philosophy works, as 6 teams in the NCAA's shows. Pitt, WVU, and a road game vs a big name team is what you want. The rest should be lower level teams, but a bit better than what they played this year, although I like that they played some of the dregs on the road, which at least allowed you to take something from those games.

Lower level, not embarrassingly weak.

3/18/2014 6:16 am  #18

long time lurker, first time poster here.
a little about me:
1. I was a big fan of RE as a coach, and also as a person. I dont think he got the credit he did for his coaching. I also thought he was a hell of a good guy. Had several dealings with him outside of the palumbo, and he was truly a standup guy. I wish him nothing but the best.
2. I like ferrys coaching style, however, Im not sold on him yet. He sort of rubs me the wrong way. but i will stand behind him bc at end of day, I support Duq.
3. Could careless about TJ and what arizona does. I think there was alot more to him leaving  and there were some serious player to player problems. In a way, I dont blame him for leaving
4. not concerned with Pitt. I root for them to lose, but end of day, I get more 'up' for the games against st bona and richmond.
5. Bobby Mo has passed us in the here and now, but I dont think that will last. It doesnt have to do with money or facilities, but it has to do with winning. they have beaten us 4 times in a row and go to the post season. we dont. this will change very soon.

next year.
1. I actually think Duq will be much better next year and finish mid pack of a10 with 8-8 record(+ or -1)
2. I think we will be better off without soko. I appreciate all of his hard work and how he helped out this year, but at times, he really cost this team with ill advised shots, missed fts and a plethera of turnovers..imagine mason and mccoy and robinson getting those shots next year..

there are alot of what ifs, but I think if mccoy can continue to develop a 12-15 footer with shot fake and drive, he can be all a10. love his work ethic. love his intensity. he can be a game changer and maybe have an a jackson type senior campaign
I would force micah to watch every st bona game from this past year with a focus on Matt Wright. That guy works harder than anyone to get open and create good looks. with masons deadly accuracy, he could be a second or third team all a10 next year.
Not sure what to think of Jeremiah Jones, before this year, I thought he would be a breakout player. He really looked like he hit the weights hard and really focused on some things. I was let down. Not sure why he is thought of as our lockdown defender, only to suggest that if he really is, it might explain why our defense sucks. If he is truly going to be a lock down defender, he needs to recognize his role and stop shooting so much on offense.
I blame ferry for the wild inconsistancy known as dc.  Kid shows flashes and tons of promise, but then goes on periods of total reckless abandon. ferry needs to make him understand his role, which is to run the offense and get the ball to the scorers. i beleive colter can be the guy, he just needs to be coached up on what is expected and what is not expected of him, and not read in the papers about ferrys love affair with former LIU pg..
the big key to next year will be development of watkins and robison. no need for explanation there.

I would also like to see gill hit the weightroom and develop a quick shot fake with pull up jumper or drive. kid has a ton of potential, but we dont need another kadeem pantophlet just standing around waiting to jack up 3s. he could also become a force inside with his strength

final thought(which will get me banned from this board), but I was willing to give ron 10 years to turn this ship around, so I am more than willing to give JF his 6 years. However, if we are still fighting for the play in game in each of the next four years, i think JF and GA will be given their walking papers and I also think it should be time to re examine our program and consider a jump to a different conference. I know the argument is that we wont get the a10 caliber player if we are in nec or maac, but at same time, if we are finishing 13th every year in a10 and losing to american east and nec teams, we probably dont have a10 talent to begin with...again, this is my last resort/solution. but at end of day, I dont think I can take four more losing seasons.(but i truly believe this wont happen as I think by year 4 of JF, we will be fighting for bye in brooklyn)

3/18/2014 10:06 am  #19

A well-reasoned and intelligent post isn't going to get you banned from anything. Thanks for posting and please continue to do so.

The conference suggestion, if you've been lurking long, isn't new, and if Ferry ends up failing it might certainly become a desireable option for an administration which has seemingly spent decades hoping to throw in the towel (I'm speaking about the leadership of the University here). Certainly the Colleary MCC experiment failed like size 4 bikini on Rosie O'Donnell, and there are options that are not open to us and options that would not seem desirable. A friend and '79 grad suggested the Patriot League yesterday, an option I would support if the time comes. Not sure which conference(s) you might have in mind.

If you don't mind my asking, are you an alum or season ticket holder or both? And how long following the program? Just curious and you're not obliged to answer.

3/22/2014 7:41 am  #20

If you don't mind my asking, are you an alum or season ticket holder or both? And how long following the program? Just curious and you're not obliged to answer.

I am both an alumnus and season ticket holder that falls in between the old guys who remember the glory days and the young bucks...been following for 20+years now...

3/22/2014 8:52 am  #21

ElDuque wrote:

A well-reasoned and intelligent post isn't going to get you banned from anything. Thanks for posting and please continue to do so.

The conference suggestion, if you've been lurking long, isn't new, and if Ferry ends up failing it might certainly become a desireable option for an administration which has seemingly spent decades hoping to throw in the towel (I'm speaking about the leadership of the University here). Certainly the Colleary MCC experiment failed like size 4 bikini on Rosie O'Donnell, and there are options that are not open to us and options that would not seem desirable. A friend and '79 grad suggested the Patriot League yesterday, an option I would support if the time comes. Not sure which conference(s) you might have in mind.

Patriot league please! In 3-4 years It must start with a competent AD who then hires the new coach who buys into the new regime.Unfortunately for coach Ferry he has an uphill climb because of the current toxic environment NOT due to the president & his support. The good 6 year deal the bad assist coach career ended.
Can't beat Pitt RMU bottom 3rd a-10 not one to blame the coach or the kids it is what it is.

3/22/2014 10:45 am  #22

I'm far more optimistic about next season than most of you.

There were times during this past season that I wondered if I'd be renewing my season tickets again.  The complete state of disarray that the team seemed to be in at times was disheartening.  But I've seen reason for hope.

I'll break the season into 4 parts, games 1-8, 9-15, 16-22 and 23-30.

The first 8 games saw us with a record of 3-5 that included a win at home over eventual 2014 NCAA participant Albany and horribly disappointing losses to New Hampshire and Robert Morris.  After the RMU game I was wondering if the coaching staff had the slightest clue as to what they were doing.  Disarray is a kind word for what we were seeing on the court.  There was no cohesion at all among the players and a worse overall record than the previous season seemed possible.  A grade for this segment of the season had to be F.

The next 7 games saw a 5 game winning streak against weak opponents followed by consectutive losses to a pair of teams from the A-10.  The team was working together as a unit and thus able to defeat lesser talented opponents.  That was a step forward.  Not a big step, but a forward step nonetheless.  There was a glimmer of hope to be seen.  I'll give them a B- for this portion of the schedule.

The third quarter brought us a competitive game against SLU, a buzzer beating win over SBU and an OOC comeback win over NJIT followed by more losses.  The higher level of talent in the A-10 sent us back into a state of disarray and disappointment.  D seems like a fair grade to me for these games.

A loss to Richmond at home opened the 4th quarter of the season and there was no good reason for hope at this point.  But the team went on the road and won at URI, then fought the Bonnies until the end in Olean, lost a heartbreaker to UD at Consol, beat #10 SLU on the road and lost to a far superior UMass team in another close battle before falling to Richmond in the A-10 tourney after a competitive first half.  I'll be generous and say B- once again.

My opinion is that if we were able to play at the level of the 4th quarter of the season throughout the entire year we'd have had a winning record for 2013-14.  Wins over New Hampshire, RMU and Penn State could have been achieved out of conference.  Wins over SLU at home, the Bonnies on the road and UD, GMU & UMass were within reach had the team played with a bit more confidence during that final quarter or the season.  We weren't all that far from being above .500 and getting an invite to one of the low level post season tournaments.  We did improve as the season progressed.

I'm looking for a winning record next season.  Maybe only something like 16-14, but maybe, hopefully, something better, even far better.

Yes, a replacement must be found for Ovie Soko's production, but I'm not too worried about that.  He played too softly and too selfishly way too often for my liking.  He turned out to be a pretty good player but not a great one by any means, in my opinion. 

Can we repeat our 5 game improvement next season?  I think so.  Will we?  I hope so.

3/22/2014 12:08 pm  #23

Welcome heels!  Enjoyed your post- glad  you are positive - as at times some of us haven't been due to the beatings.  As far as going to a different conference, if it is one where we can still get to the NCAA by moving to a lesser one, I understand.  But my concern is our recruiting the past few years has been at the lower end for the A10.  My fear is that we move - we then get the lower end of the league we move to since those other schools are established.  I know some disagree, (and the last two years our disagreements have been civil which is great!) but I don't have a problem at all with Mason going to point guard as I said before.  He will be farther away from the hoop but with his shooting he can manage that.  He is also probably the best passer on the team.  Anyhow heels, welcome!

Last edited by FAM (3/22/2014 12:10 pm)

Board footera