Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2014 1:41 pm  #1

Barclays Center negotiates with A-10 & ACC over 2017's site

There's a possibility of A-10 vs ACC double headers.  I wonder how Coach K, the trash talker, would feel about such an arrangement.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10606349/a-10-change-barclays-dates-2017-acc

Last edited by godukes1970 (3/23/2014 2:51 pm)

3/23/2014 2:21 pm  #2

Re: Barclays Center negotiates with A-10 & ACC over 2017's site

The Nassau Coliseum? There's a slap in the face. The ACC doesn't even have a school in NY.

3/23/2014 2:34 pm  #3

Nassau Coliseum is a lot easier to get to, and a lot easier to find parking.  It's a lot like the Spectrum was in Philadelphia.  A-10, take it when you can get it.  The 14,000 empty seats won't look so bad either.

3/23/2014 9:42 pm  #4

I wouldn't touch Nassau...we'd be the #3 tourney in New York playing at the #3 site (perhaps #4 site) in NYC, just way out of the city.  Give me Atlantic City, DC, or Philly first.  I thought the attendance in Atlantic City was respectable, and we have two teams in both DC and Philly now.

3/24/2014 8:57 am  #5

This is driven by Syracuse and Pitt whose recuiting base is in New York and they want the tournament there.   It would just be for 2017-2018 because the traditional ACC schools are not going to want the tournament there on a permanent basis.

It would be wise to work with the ACC in this.  Move the 2017 tournament to another site and go to Brooklyn when the ACC is not there.   The Barclays Center managements wants the A10 tournament but not if they can't get the ACC for a couple of years.  Enforcing the contract means, that 2017 would probably be the last year to have it at Barclays because they wouldnt work with the A10 in the future.

If you could get an ACC - A10 doubleheaders as part of the decision to move, that helps the A10.  So Bernie will do the right thing and move the tournament for 2017-2018.   I agree though that Nassau as a place to move it, is not an option at all.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/24/2014 8:58 am)

3/24/2014 10:46 am  #6

Why would Duke, UNC, Virginia, Wake, etc., let Johnny-come-latelies like Pitt and Syracuse drive the basketball bus for a conference whose southern roots are as much a part of the conference's tradition as anything else? Those schools have had national recruiting for decades without ever having to leave home. I do understand that it's an opportunity for them to get the "big market" exposure for a couple of days, but IMHO, it would be just as much of a stretch for the SEC or Big 10 to want to be in Brooklyn.

3/24/2014 11:04 am  #7

ElDuque wrote:

Why would Duke, UNC, Virginia, Wake, etc., let Johnny-come-latelies like Pitt and Syracuse drive the basketball bus for a conference whose southern roots are as much a part of the conference's tradition as anything else? Those schools have had national recruiting for decades without ever having to leave home. I do understand that it's an opportunity for them to get the "big market" exposure for a couple of days, but IMHO, it would be just as much of a stretch for the SEC or Big 10 to want to be in Brooklyn.

Well they are.  Since joining the ACC, Dixon has talked about having their tourney in NY.

3/24/2014 11:22 am  #8

Was being rhetorical Kurt ...

More Pitt arrogance for everyone but me to admire.

3/24/2014 11:33 am  #9

As I understand it, the use of Barclays Center by the ACC would be for a one-year deal.  So they try it out for one-year test run.  Then they head back to healthy Tobacco Road to return to their traditional venues for several years.  Unless the A-10 Conference is able to secure a multi-year deal for A-10 vs ACC doubleheaders in exchange for loaning the use of Barclays for 2017, I would prefer that the A-10 Commissioner take advantage of the new found TV revenue that has flooded the ACC's coffers and negotiate a cash buyout.   

3/24/2014 11:54 am  #10

godukes1970 wrote:

As I understand it, the use of Barclays Center by the ACC would be for a one-year deal.  So they try it out for one-year test run.  Then they head back to healthy Tobacco Road to return to their traditional venues for several years.  Unless the A-10 Conference is able to secure a multi-year deal for A-10 vs ACC doubleheaders in exchange for loaning the use of Barclays for 2017, I would prefer that the A-10 Commissioner take advantage of the new found TV revenue that has flooded the ACC's coffers and negotiate a cash buyout.   

The article you posted from ESPN says 2017-2018.   The A10 contract runs through 2017.   The decision should be made this week because the ACC wanted an answer. 

Last edited by duqkurt (3/24/2014 11:55 am)

3/24/2014 11:58 am  #11

Duke wants the tournament in NYC as well. The goal is to put the BE to death, so that the ACC can be the undisputed big dog of the east. The SEC would never come to NYC because they have no teams in the region. The Big 10 indeed is interested in putting NYC into the rotation.

3/24/2014 12:11 pm  #12

godukes1970 wrote:

Trying to play hardball will backfire, as the A10 would like to continue playing in NYC, and Barclay's is interested in extending the contract on a rotational basis. Any money we would get from the ACC would be chump change after spitting it 14 ways. At this particular time, when the future staus of the BE as a true major is seriously in question, playing a high profile series against the ACC will say volumes about the status of the A10. If you are rubbing elbows with the big boys, you will be seen as a big boy. One thing, there must be assurances that the best of these matchups will be on television. Either ESPN. or one of the networks.

3/24/2014 12:41 pm  #13

duq81 wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

Trying to play hardball will backfire, as the A10 would like to continue playing in NYC, and Barclay's is interested in extending the contract on a rotational basis. Any money we would get from the ACC would be chump change after spitting it 14 ways. At this particular time, when the future staus of the BE as a true major is seriously in question, playing a high profile series against the ACC will say volumes about the status of the A10. If you are rubbing elbows with the big boys, you will be seen as a big boy. One thing, there must be assurances that the best of these matchups will be on television. Either ESPN. or one of the networks.

Not sure about your concern that the A-10's demands for a cash-buyout will jeoparize the A-10's future use of Barclay's Center.  Given Coach K's recent old man-type bad mouthing of the A-10's seeding in the NCAA tournament and his likely influence on what the ACC does, do you really think that the ACC will want to provide some degree of confirmation of the quality of the A-10 teams by agreeing to the A-10 vs ACC doubleheaders?

3/24/2014 1:35 pm  #14

rogabee wrote:

I wouldn't touch Nassau...we'd be the #3 tourney in New York playing at the #3 site (perhaps #4 site) in NYC, just way out of the city.  Give me Atlantic City, DC, or Philly first.  I thought the attendance in Atlantic City was respectable, and we have two teams in both DC and Philly now.

I think you are on the right track, I agree that the A-10 would be wise to talk with the Verizon Center in DC about hosting the A-10 Tourney.  This would be an ideal location with two teams in the DC area, Richmond, VCU and Davidson within driving distance, a short drive from Philly, and Pittsburgh.

3/25/2014 9:58 am  #15

Appears that ACC will get Barclay's in 2017 & 2018, A-10 goes back in 2019 through 2021. Link here says the A-10 is considering DC or Pittsburgh.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/03/25/acc-basketball-tournament-barclays-center/6862583/?AID=10709313&PID=3176238&SID=j6nfna3tdw9q

I would think DC would get the nod based on proximity of teams plus the size of city. I'd certainly support it if the tourney came here. Not sure how many locals would though. Bona, Dayton and VCU would probably represent the best of all the teams that would have to travel here.

3/25/2014 11:57 am  #16

Pittsburgh bid for the A-10 tournament when it was originally awarded to Barclays.   So it makes sense, they would bid again since it would be open.  And Dayton would probably have a bigger home court advantage at Consol over Duquesne.  

The tournament was played for years at the Palestra where Lasalle, St. Joes and Temple all played home games at.   Temple prior to the Licarous Center.

3/25/2014 12:38 pm  #17

For a dominant team (at the time), Temple never impressed me as far as the size of the crowd it brought to the Palestra.

3/25/2014 12:57 pm  #18

fjhryn wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

rogabee wrote:

I think you are on the right track, I agree that the A-10 would be wise to talk with the Verizon Center in DC about hosting the A-10 Tourney.  This would be an ideal location with two teams in the DC area, Richmond, VCU and Davidson within driving distance, a short drive from Philly, and Pittsburgh.

Having been to every A10 Tournament in AC & Barclays since the league has played in those venues, regardless of whether or not the Dukes were playing, I (& those who have joined me at these games) agree that we will not travel to Nassau, LI, if the Tournament moves there. And we are not the only A10 fans who feel this way. I talked to a number of VCU & Dayton fans at this year's tournament (I had to since so few Dukes fans were there), and every one of them said they are through with the tournament if it moves to Nassau. I understand that venue is 1 1/2 hours further East of Manhattan. Why would the A10 do that unless they receive major compensation from the ACC & Barclays?  Based on what I heard, the A10 will suffer significantly if it takes this offer. Why not DC? The Verizon is a great arena and with the ACC choosing not to play there after 2016, why not move there? It's even a shorter trip from Pgh than Barclays, so MAYBE more Dukes fans would consider going. Of course, the optimal answer would be to move the tournament to Consol, but I've heard that is considered a home court for the Dukes and won't be considered. Don't the Philly teams play some games at that city's major arena? So why would Philly be an option?

As I recall, the NCAA post-season tournament rules prohibit 2nd and 3rd round teams from playing at facilites where they have played more than three regular season games.  If we were to apply this seemingly reasonable rule to the A-10's post season conference tournament, this should not disqualify the Consol as a potential A-10 tournament site as long as the Dukes never play more than three regular season games there.  Of course, the A-10 could set the standard less than the NCAA's 3-game standard. 

3/25/2014 2:31 pm  #19

godukes1970 wrote:

fjhryn wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Having been to every A10 Tournament in AC & Barclays since the league has played in those venues, regardless of whether or not the Dukes were playing, I (& those who have joined me at these games) agree that we will not travel to Nassau, LI, if the Tournament moves there. And we are not the only A10 fans who feel this way. I talked to a number of VCU & Dayton fans at this year's tournament (I had to since so few Dukes fans were there), and every one of them said they are through with the tournament if it moves to Nassau. I understand that venue is 1 1/2 hours further East of Manhattan. Why would the A10 do that unless they receive major compensation from the ACC & Barclays?  Based on what I heard, the A10 will suffer significantly if it takes this offer. Why not DC? The Verizon is a great arena and with the ACC choosing not to play there after 2016, why not move there? It's even a shorter trip from Pgh than Barclays, so MAYBE more Dukes fans would consider going. Of course, the optimal answer would be to move the tournament to Consol, but I've heard that is considered a home court for the Dukes and won't be considered. Don't the Philly teams play some games at that city's major arena? So why would Philly be an option?

As I recall, the NCAA post-season tournament rules prohibit 2nd and 3rd round teams from playing at facilites where they have played more than three regular season games.  If we were to apply this seemingly reasonable rule to the A-10's post season conference tournament, this should not disqualify the Consol as a potential A-10 tournament site as long as the Dukes never play more than three regular season games there.  Of course, the A-10 could set the standard less than the NCAA's 3-game standard. 

That rule has nothing to do with where a conference can hold it's tournament. That is for the NCAA Tournament. The A10 has held it's tournament at the Dayton Arena, where UD plays all of it's home games.

3/25/2014 4:09 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

fjhryn wrote:

That rule has nothing to do with where a conference can hold it's tournament. That is for the NCAA Tournament. The A10 has held it's tournament at the Dayton Arena, where UD plays all of it's home games.

I cited the NCAA's tournament rule only as a reference point to an organization that has a written standard on such matters to those who may believe that there might be some objection to the Consol's selection for the A-10 tournament because the Dukes' play two or three regular games there.  Note that the 2nd sentence of my comment begins with an introdutory adverbial clause in the subjunctive mood, "If we were to apply this seemingly reasonable rule..."   My use of the subjunctive mood expresses the possibility of the A-10 Conference's having such a rule not that the A-10 has to follow the NCAA's rule.

3/25/2014 6:13 pm  #21

godukes1970 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

I cited the NCAA's tournament rule only as a reference point to an organization that has a written standard on such matters to those who may believe that there might be some objection to the Consol's selection for the A-10 tournament because the Dukes' play two or three regular games there.  Note that the 2nd sentence of my comment begins with an introdutory adverbial clause in the subjunctive mood, "If we were to apply this seemingly reasonable rule..."   My use of the subjunctive mood expresses the possibility of the A-10 Conference's having such a rule not that the A-10 has to follow the NCAA's rule.

Well, there is no such rule, so no point in getting grey hairs over it. Although going by the 1970 in your handle, I'm sure you have as many greys as I do, although some on this board would be glad to have any hairs, grey or not.

3/25/2014 9:22 pm  #22

Hey now!

3/26/2014 10:04 am  #23

Here's the announcement from Barclays Center on the deal with the A-10 and ACC.  Doubleheaders between the A-10 and ACC teams will be held in 2015, 2016, and 2017 at the Barclays Center.

[url=​http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032614aac.html]http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032614aac.html[/url]

Last edited by godukes1970 (3/26/2014 10:32 am)

3/26/2014 10:12 am  #24

Smaller conferences (NEC) play tourney at the site of the highest seeds.   RMU never left home.   That is a good compromise between ACC and A10. 

Board footera