Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 11:20 am  #1

Travaghuan White released

From his scholarship and is transferring.  Per Duke Dispatches.

4/10/2014 11:55 am  #2

Re: Travaghuan White released

No surprise here. He's going to need to drop down a level or two if he wants to see much playing time.

4/10/2014 4:02 pm  #3

I thought he could have provided more value. Most JUCOs need that year of adjustment. But I wish him good luck.

4/10/2014 8:59 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

I thought he could have provided more value. Most JUCOs need that year of adjustment. But I wish him good luck.

Once Mason stepped up, that was it for White. He's just too small to play his game at this level.

4/11/2014 6:28 am  #5

Best of luck to the young man.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

4/11/2014 10:06 am  #6

I know it is EXTREMELY unlikely, but is there any chance Ferry would try to recruit Graham Woodward who is transfering from PSU?  He wanted to be the full time point guard, and he can shoot pretty well.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/11/2014 11:10 am  #7

Simms wrote:

I know it is EXTREMELY unlikely, but is there any chance Ferry would try to recruit Graham Woodward who is transfering from PSU?  He wanted to be the full time point guard, and he can shoot pretty well.  

Would Woodward be willing to sit out a year, and then possibly have to sit behind Colter, and Mason for a year? I don't want any transfers unless they are a clear upgrade.
Also, he's from Minnesota. Would he want to play in a league that has no teams anywhere near his home area?

4/11/2014 12:19 pm  #8

First, good luck to this young man.  Now,  what is going through my mind isn't that we have another scholarship, but who will/can the staff get that is very good to come here.  They have not done even an average job in recruiting for next year.  Most of the better players have already made up their mind...I know, there are exceptions but they probably aren't holding out for Duquesne.  

4/11/2014 3:28 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

Simms wrote:

Would Woodward be willing to sit out a year, and then possibly have to sit behind Colter, and Mason for a year? I don't want any transfers unless they are a clear upgrade.
Also, he's from Minnesota. Would he want to play in a league that has no teams anywhere near his home area?

Sit behind Colter? Why? I think this is one of the two easiest positions to upgrade on this team.

4/11/2014 4:03 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Simms wrote:

Sit behind Colter? Why? I think this is one of the two easiest positions to upgrade on this team.

Simple, because despite how we feel, Colter would be a senior, who has started since his freshman year. If not Colter, then Mason, or Ridenhour would be running the point next year. This kid from Penn State, by all accounts, is just an okay player, not a stud by any means. You have to take it with a grain of salt, but most of the comments under the article indicate that the fans don't see him as much more than a role player. Ferry is not going to sit down a kid who has been here for 2 or 3 years unless the new kid is a stud. Unless you think this kid is going to come in and snatch the job, you don't even bring him in. I expect that this kid will end up at a school in a midwestern league.

4/11/2014 4:24 pm  #11

Some guys can be in a program for 10 years, if they ain't got the goods, they ain't got the goods.

I can see Ridenour developing, and I don't see Mason as a PG. I think it would be wasting the best shooter Duquesne has had since who? Rick Suter?

I would see not recruiting a point guard as a message that improvement is going to come more slowly than Heinz ketchup in a glass bottle. I think bringing in a stud PG while Gill, Watkins and Robinson are young and while Mason has two more years would make is competitive.

Otherwise, 10 wins might be a reality next year.

4/11/2014 4:41 pm  #12

ElDuque wrote:

Some guys can be in a program for 10 years, if they ain't got the goods, they ain't got the goods.

I can see Ridenour developing, and I don't see Mason as a PG. I think it would be wasting the best shooter Duquesne has had since who? Rick Suter?

I would see not recruiting a point guard as a message that improvement is going to come more slowly than Heinz ketchup in a glass bottle. I think bringing in a stud PG while Gill, Watkins and Robinson are young and while Mason has two more years would make is competitive.

I agree, but this kid isn't the answer. His numbers look a lot like Colter's. 36% from the field. A 1-1 turnover to assist ratio, which is horrid. A bit better from 3, 39% to 34%, but 41% from the line in limited attempts. I'll pass. Other than TJ, we haven't had a decent pg since AJax, and he was really a combo. Our last really good pg other than TJ was Mike James.

4/11/2014 8:10 pm  #13

Speaking of assist to turnover average Mason was 1 assist away from leading the country in that category.

4/11/2014 9:33 pm  #14

WashPaRick wrote:

Speaking of assist to turnover average Mason was 1 assist away from leading the country in that category.

Mason has a lot of what you look for in a point. My questions about him center on 2 things. Is his handle strong enough, and can he penetrate at all. A pg needs to have a much stronger handle than a 2. If his handle is shaky, he's going to face constant pressure, much more than he would at the two. The second point is related to the first. Is his handle good enough to get in the lane? You can't play the point totally from the perimeter. I guess we may find out, but the fact that he struggles sometimes to create his own space to shoot gives me doubts.

4/12/2014 9:11 am  #15

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I agree, but this kid isn't the answer. His numbers look a lot like Colter's. 36% from the field. A 1-1 turnover to assist ratio, which is horrid. A bit better from 3, 39% to 34%, but 41% from the line in limited attempts. I'll pass. Other than TJ, we haven't had a decent pg since AJax, and he was really a combo. Our last really good pg other than TJ was Mike James.

I hear ya '81. I was speaking more in general terms. I'll get accused of something vile for believing this way, but I have nothing against Colter nor am I suggesting removing him from the team. His lack of court awareness, his inability to control the ball against the press, his focus on taking the shot regardless of where he is or where his teammates are, his inability to penetrate without getting his shot blocked, and the occasional "wild pitch" on a pass, those are real things, and they concern me. I think he's an average to slight minus as an A-10 PG, and you need a plus to be competitive and a stud to win big in this league.

4/12/2014 10:04 am  #16

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I hear ya '81. I was speaking more in general terms. I'll get accused of something vile for believing this way, but I have nothing against Colter nor am I suggesting removing him from the team. His lack of court awareness, his inability to control the ball against the press, his focus on taking the shot regardless of where he is or where his teammates are, his inability to penetrate without getting his shot blocked, and the occasional "wild pitch" on a pass, those are real things, and they concern me. I think he's an average to slight minus as an A-10 PG, and you need a plus to be competitive and a stud to win big in this league.

Would be nice if Ridenhour makes the leap over the summer. He's not a stud, but he has the tools to be a plus in my opinion.

Board footera