Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2014 11:38 am  #1

Ladies and gentlemen, the "Beetles"

In the early 1980s, right after I graduated from DU, I worked at a newspaper with a guy who drove a 1968 Mustang. Now, I say “drove,” but the truth is that the car was a junker that didn’t answer the bell most mornings, and often when it did, it broke down at some point during the day. Naturally the car contributed to a spotty attendance record on the part of this poor guy, and it drove the publisher up the wall. So one day the guy shows up a couple hours late, no call, and when he gets to the office the publisher is waiting for him. He gives the guy one week to trade his rambling wreck for a new car, or he was going to fire him. Two days later the guy comes to work all excited. “Guess what everyone? I finally got a new car.” So naturally, I ask him, “And what did you get?”

His answer?

“I got a ’67 Volkswagen.”

This metaphor will be my last-ever post about Duquesne’s point guard situation. The talk about moving your best pure shooter – maybe the best pure shooter in the country – to the point, and the focus on JUCOs who aren’t going to bring any more to the table than what we already have tells me all I need to know about the state of the program heading into this year.

I’ve been trying to stay positive and I’ve been hoping that Ferry would be able to dig the program out of the self-inflicted hole, but after two years of watching DU PGs get crapped on by better A-10 players hasn’t inspired any new solutions, except for the ol’ Danny Nee line: Help is coming; it’s just sitting out another year.

Unless Ridenour is ready to take the next step, this will be another lost season. And by lost, I mean:
- Under .500
- League bottom feeder
- One and done in the A-10 Tournament
- No hope for postseason

This is the ’67 bug we love to drive.

4/28/2014 2:07 pm  #2

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the "Beetles"

Requiescat in pace!!!  My Lord, E.D.  I never for once thought you'd stoop to the level of a Ritters mentality.  You are way too bright and erudite for that type of mindset.  I generally find it repulsive to attack in a seemingly personal way, but your mindset over D.C. and our point guard situation is more than a fixation.  I always thought you saw the good side of things that were and are going on, but somehow and someway you've managed to poison your own thinking process because of your disdain for D.C.  There ain't no quick fix to your wanting to see D.C. fall of the face of the earth.  There ain't no quick fix for you and the others wanting the PG situation to heal itself.  He is going to be our PG "per omnia saecula saeculorum" at least for the next two years.  Ferry has only three pure guards for next year. (D.C., M.M. and D.R.--to me J.J. is a 3)  He needs at least one more whether it is a Jesus Christ P.G. or a combo guard.  As far as talking about Micah moving to PG, so what?  His numbers say he protects the ball.  So do T.J.'s.  To me it don't make any difference whether you protect the ball from the 1 or 2 spot.  You are either a ball handler or you are not.  Micah's a ball handler.  Before other posters jump all over me about speed at the PG position, it isn't all that relevant except for limited times on D.  Micah has shown he's a smart enough player to play D with the skill set he now has.  For anyone who thinks this is pure b.s., I suggest you come out to Greentree in the summer and watch Micha play against the best guards-PG and SG's- the local area has to offer.   I am going to save your post and you and others who don't like D.C. can save mine.  I'll bet a Jersey Mike sub against the field that the Dukes have a winning season all around-OCC and League schedule with the guards we have and any other one Ferry may bring on board.  I just hate to see so much negativity on this board when so much good is happening.  Man, am I glad I got cataract surgery to I can see the Dukes in a much better light.  Lighten up E.D.!!  Thanks.  Incidentally, I think the guy you talked about bought my 1967 Bug.

Last edited by grammudder (4/28/2014 2:10 pm)

4/28/2014 2:53 pm  #3

It's a fixation because I want to see the team win NOW, now in another five years. Period.

And gimme a break, will you ... you've been here long enough to know I posted the same stuff when Courtney Wallace was here. Watching him dribble balls off his own ankles for four years, I never understood why another PG wasn't brought in.

Don't go betting a Jersey Mike's, or a Jimmy Buff's, or a Hot Grill, or anything on this team just yet because I have doubts it can match last year's win totals.

4/28/2014 3:40 pm  #4

Coulter thanks his lucky stars that he doesn't smell bad!  Then he would really be in trouble.  It's one thing to "stink" at basketball (personally I do not think he does), it's another thing to just plain "stink" (can't judge on that), but I assume he's ok if he is still walking the hallways.

4/28/2014 3:55 pm  #5

I referred to his skills as minus in certain areas, but don't recall using the word "stinks." And I did spell his name (Colter) correctly after the first couple of months -- which was an honest mistake.

4/28/2014 4:13 pm  #6

Thanks for clearing that up.  For a moment I thought u might be letting the little things get to u! 

4/28/2014 4:40 pm  #7

Thanks for the upbeat post E.D.!   Nice seeing you smile.  I agree with you on Courtney, but then again look at who was coach and who was A.D.!  ....and who was in charge of student life!!!!!!  Where would or could the school have gone to get a point guard who didn't get shin splinters due to his own ineptitude.  It's just that in your position as moderator you have the ability and capability of framing and shaping opinions.  At my age, I go to so many darned funeral homes and the last thing I want to look at when I get home and scour social media for information on the Dukes is "crepe-hanging" information.  Everyone is entitled to opinions. The Dukes will succeed in my humble opinion with or without D.C. at the helm.  I just don't see him as bad as he is often depicted.  Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!  I assure you I want wins as much or even more than the most diehard fan.  I'd like them NOW, but then again its been a long time since we've had someone who knows how to develop a long term plan and strategy for success with taking the right steps to implement that strategy. (Like since Red Manning, Dudey Moore and Chick Davies)   I did not like Ferry at first.  I was wrong.  I see him as being on the right path.  Peace, brudder!

4/28/2014 7:54 pm  #8

Colter was recruited by LIU, a NEC school.  He is not a starting A-10 point guard.  Lucky for him Coach Ferry needed bodies at the time and he ended up with us.  That being said, I like Colter as a player.  A guy to come off the bench and play 15-18 minutes a game, throw up a few shots, handle the ball when needed, defend the other teams point and hope he gets hot when he's in there.  He shouldn't be a starter, primary ball handler and expected to be a top player on an A-10 team.   Sure Mason showed he can handle the ball, but that takes him out of his element as a lights out shooter who gets his shots by someone else driving and kicking out to him.  But can he create for himself?  Somewhat.  Can he be the primary ball handler who creates for others as well?  He showed he could.  But we want and need guys to play to their strengths in order to be a better team than we are now.  His strength is his ability to run the floor, get to his spots and be ready for the pass and shoot.  I think these are a few things my fellow Jerseyan is trying to say.  Is no knock on Colter or Ferry for that matter.  It's Mr. Duque explaining why the team may not take a leap forward if certain things don't happen.  I believe he team will show improvement next season with an over .500 record if the coaches continue with their skill development and put the players in the proper positions to succeed now that Ferry will have his players to play his style.

4/28/2014 9:30 pm  #9

du4life wrote:

Colter was recruited by LIU, a NEC school. He is not a starting A-10 point guard. Lucky for him Coach Ferry needed bodies at the time and he ended up with us. That being said, I like Colter as a player. A guy to come off the bench and play 15-18 minutes a game, throw up a few shots, handle the ball when needed, defend the other teams point and hope he gets hot when he's in there. He shouldn't be a starter, primary ball handler and expected to be a top player on an A-10 team. Sure Mason showed he can handle the ball, but that takes him out of his element as a lights out shooter who gets his shots by someone else driving and kicking out to him. But can he create for himself? Somewhat. Can he be the primary ball handler who creates for others as well? He showed he could. But we want and need guys to play to their strengths in order to be a better team than we are now. His strength is his ability to run the floor, get to his spots and be ready for the pass and shoot. I think these are a few things my fellow Jerseyan is trying to say. Is no knock on Colter or Ferry for that matter. It's Mr. Duque explaining why the team may not take a leap forward if certain things don't happen. I believe he team will show improvement next season with an over .500 record if the coaches continue with their skill development and put the players in the proper positions to succeed now that Ferry will have his players to play his style.

We've missed you friend! Welcome back!

4/29/2014 12:34 am  #10

ED, Stevens doesn't look like a bad signing for this late in the game. If Oklahoma and St. Mary's were interested, he has to be a decent player, even if he's not the pure pg we wanted. Ferry may be looking at having a backcourt where both guards have pg skills, and both can score. Could work out for now. Stevens isn't huge, but he's not a shrimp either. TJ did fine at 6'1".  The worst thing Ferry could have done is go out and sign a mediocre freshman. I expect that a 3 star point guard will be priority number 1 for the fall signing period.

4/29/2014 6:22 am  #11

Stevens has the running one hander that White didn't and can get  off the three with his dribble. Does look more like a combo.

4/29/2014 7:34 am  #12

I think this goes very well with Ferry's liking versatile players who can do more than one thing.

4/29/2014 8:45 am  #13

I haven't post in a long while.  I finally took the advice of the former poster A83 who said: "just walk away and it will be a detoxing experience and set you free".  Too many waste years and energy following a team who hasn't been to the Big Dance since the Carter Administration.  After almost a half decade of following the Dukes I can honestly say I reached the point where I don't care.  I like the recruiting class that JF has put together, but too many times I drank the the Kool Aide getting excited about recruits thinking maybe these guys will make a difference.  I hope Jim Ferry can get Duquesne to the NCAA,  if he does I reserve to jump back on the band wagon.  If he doesn't there will probably be more guys like me who decide to just "walk away". Peace.

4/29/2014 9:01 am  #14

Basically I like the recruiting class and am generally optimistic about next year and the point guard situation.  I don't have a good basketball reason for this feeling.  It comes because of time.  There is frequently improvement in players as they move through the system just because of the time element.  Another year older, another year smarter and often developing more skills.  I think Colter among others will show that next year for that reason.

4/29/2014 9:47 am  #15

CLK wrote:

I haven't post in a long while.  I finally took the advice of the former poster A83 who said: "just walk away and it will be a detoxing experience and set you free".  Too many waste years and energy following a team who hasn't been to the Big Dance since the Carter Administration.  After almost a half decade of following the Dukes I can honestly say I reached the point where I don't care.  I like the recruiting class that JF has put together, but too many times I drank the the Kool Aide getting excited about recruits thinking maybe these guys will make a difference.  I hope Jim Ferry can get Duquesne to the NCAA,  if he does I reserve to jump back on the band wagon.  If he doesn't there will probably be more guys like me who decide to just "walk away". Peace.

If anyone has the right to jump back on the bandwagon, it's you. Personally, I don't take sports seriously enough to ever need a break, but if some do, more power to them. I'm cautiously optimistic about the next 2 seasons.

4/29/2014 9:48 am  #16

If Oklahoma offered and St. Mary's was interested, perhaps Stevens is better than expected.  I have high hopes for this recruiting class, but I am being extremely reserved in my expectations.

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/2013-06-20-18-53-28/dukes-dispatches/41333-juco-all-american-guard-jordan-stevens-rounds-out-duquesne-2014-recruiting-class

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/29/2014 11:47 am  #17

"Assistant coach Rich Glesmann was in Ottumwa, Iowa, March 1 for a second look at Stevens."

Surely everyone knows who Ottumwa, IA's most famous resident was?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gm4YJjYMDkc/T7AHk-BbpVI/AAAAAAAAEWU/rJrBaNKxqrk/s640/Radar-O-Reilly-m-a-s-h-14058957-320-240.jpg

4/29/2014 11:51 am  #18

Say what you will about the guard play.  But, before Ferry arrived, were we not having difficulty recruiting bigs who could play inside?  We ended by playing smaller lineups that struggled with rebounding.  If our first shot didn't go in, it was guaranteed to come back down the court against us.  If the other team's first shot missed, they were guaranteed 3 or 4 more attempts to tip it in.  During Ron's final year, we had a pretty decent PG with good passing and court vision.  The trouble was, there was no one to pass it to.  So OK, we still need to work on the guard play.  But, at least the current regime has been successful recruiting some size and I don't believe the future is all that bleak.

4/29/2014 12:40 pm  #19

indygjm wrote:

Say what you will about the guard play.  But, before Ferry arrived, were we not having difficulty recruiting bigs who could play inside?  We ended by playing smaller lineups that struggled with rebounding.  If our first shot didn't go in, it was guaranteed to come back down the court against us.  If the other team's first shot missed, they were guaranteed 3 or 4 more attempts to tip it in.  During Ron's final year, we had a pretty decent PG with good passing and court vision.  The trouble was, there was no one to pass it to.  So OK, we still need to work on the guard play.  But, at least the current regime has been successful recruiting some size and I don't believe the future is all that bleak.

I think it's important to clarify a few things.

1. The point I am making about the point guard play is that if we want to get to the next level - which I've been told is the objective - we need to upgrade at the position because of its importance in the A-10. This is really a whole hell of a lot different than portraying what I said as believeing that the future is bleak. That's not what I said, and it's not what I mean. The teams at the top of the conference all had outstanding point guards.

2. To your point about big men ... Ferry only plays two at a time, tops, and often only one. Years ago, a sportswriter, on the eve of the World Series, mentioned to Babe Ruth that the Pirates had seven good starting pitchers. The Babe's reply: "What good  are seven starting pitchers in a four-game series?" So, yeah, it's nice to have a 6-10 guy and a bunch of guys in the 6-7, 6-8 range, but let's hope they see the court once in a while.

3. We really have only one big man with A-10 experience, and that's McKoy. Gill showed a few flashes and a lot of inconsistency, Watkins was hurt, Robinson had to sit out a year, Lewis was clearly raw. Any disagreement here?

4. As I have said, the other position we need to upgrade is, loosely translated in the Ferry system, the three (wing/SF) spot. Jeremiah Jones is not cutting it there. To improve next year, you have to hope that Gill or one of the new guys can step up. Jones is fine as a backup to the two spot, but if he's playing the three or four this year we are in deep dip.

4/30/2014 7:05 am  #20

grammudder wrote:

Requiescat in pace!!!  My Lord, E.D.  I never for once thought you'd stoop to the level of a Ritters mentality.  You are way too bright and erudite for that type of mindset.  I generally find it repulsive to attack in a seemingly personal way, but your mindset over D.C. and our point guard situation is more than a fixation.  I always thought you saw the good side of things that were and are going on, but somehow and someway you've managed to poison your own thinking process because of your disdain for D.C.  There ain't no quick fix to your wanting to see D.C. fall of the face of the earth.  There ain't no quick fix for you and the others wanting the PG situation to heal itself.  He is going to be our PG "per omnia saecula saeculorum" at least for the next two years.  Ferry has only three pure guards for next year. (D.C., M.M. and D.R.--to me J.J. is a 3)  He needs at least one more whether it is a Jesus Christ P.G. or a combo guard.  As far as talking about Micah moving to PG, so what?  His numbers say he protects the ball.  So do T.J.'s.  To me it don't make any difference whether you protect the ball from the 1 or 2 spot.  You are either a ball handler or you are not.  Micah's a ball handler.  Before other posters jump all over me about speed at the PG position, it isn't all that relevant except for limited times on D.  Micah has shown he's a smart enough player to play D with the skill set he now has.  For anyone who thinks this is pure b.s., I suggest you come out to Greentree in the summer and watch Micha play against the best guards-PG and SG's- the local area has to offer.   I am going to save your post and you and others who don't like D.C. can save mine.  I'll bet a Jersey Mike sub against the field that the Dukes have a winning season all around-OCC and League schedule with the guards we have and any other one Ferry may bring on board.  I just hate to see so much negativity on this board when so much good is happening.  Man, am I glad I got cataract surgery to I can see the Dukes in a much better light.  Lighten up E.D.!!  Thanks.  Incidentally, I think the guy you talked about bought my 1967 Bug.

Let me just say that I understand elduque and I never once felt my lpoint of view was not the realistic view of this program. I understand there are people out there who find the positives in everything and maybe I don't. But the point is that over the last 35 years, I have seen this all before. But you are what your record says you are. 

I would never tell anyone not to be optimistic or hopeful but I think you lose credibility when you look at the talent level of the team, watch them play on the court, and try to make some argument that this is an NCAA  tournament team. 

It might surprise some, but my great wish is that this program does make the tournament and finds consistent success. Nothing is more fun than having a winner once in a while. But I have never considered my criticism to be a lower level of critque. And if someday this team does become a winning program, no one would be more pleased than I.

4/30/2014 7:23 am  #21

At this point in my life I guess I'll stay on the bandwagon. 63 years old and newly retired. After I walk the dogs in the morning and do my daily chore routine (so my wife who is still working, God bless her, doesn't whack me) there is not much else to do. Besides finally reading St. Thomas Aquinas Shorter Summa Theologica that I bought ten years ago, finishing Steven Kings' The Dome that I started to read three years ago (have to finish before the mini-series comes back on), and walking the dogs again, not much else to do. The key to me is Robinson, Watkins and McGill. From McKoy, we know what to expect. Decent hard-working play on both ends of the court. Hopefully, all three and the new recruits will play in the summer league. I'll make a point of attending as many games as I can (being newly retired). So, good luck Mr. Ferry. In my mind, you have two more years to at least make the NIT.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

4/30/2014 9:49 am  #22

Ken, good luck on your retirment, and at such a young age! After The Dome, you should read 1964 if you haven't done so yet, and the two books that King wrote with Peter Straub (The Talisman and The Dark House). I get painted as generally negative, but I'm just a frustrated old guy (you'll know what I mean some day) who wants to see the tea win, and I'm trying to be realistic about what I see. I hope things turn around sooner rather than later, but I'm not yet convinced. Winning will convince me. And sustainability.

4/30/2014 10:02 am  #23

I would read the Talisman "Right Here and Now."

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/30/2014 2:07 pm  #24

ElDuque wrote:

Ken, good luck on your retirment, and at such a young age! After The Dome, you should read 1964 if you haven't done so yet, and the two books that King wrote with Peter Straub (The Talisman and The Dark House). I get painted as generally negative, but I'm just a frustrated old guy (you'll know what I mean some day) who wants to see the tea win, and I'm trying to be realistic about what I see. I hope things turn around sooner rather than later, but I'm not yet convinced. Winning will convince me. And sustainability.

Thanks ED. Will pick up 1964. Already read the Talisman and the Dark House a few years back. You know sometimes while I'm sitting in the Palumbo Center it does seem as if reality is stretched thin.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

4/30/2014 2:24 pm  #25

Moreso on the message boards.

Have you read other Straub books? Blue Rose Trilogy?

Board footera