Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2014 5:48 pm  #1

Prices Raised on Season Tickets

I just received my season ticket bill for the upcoming season.    A letter from Robert Derda arrived along with my bill.  There was no mention of the prices being raised in the letter which smells of trying to be sneaky.  Last year, two tickets, two donations, and handling came to
$ 874.00.  This year it comes to $ 910.  $ 36.00 is not much of a raise...$ 18.00 each.  But they should have stated that in the letter...especially for a team that has lost so often.

5/19/2014 8:30 pm  #2

Re: Prices Raised on Season Tickets

Duquesne has never failed to miss an opportunity to offend its students, alumni and supporters.

5/19/2014 8:43 pm  #3

Perhaps there's an additional home game.

5/20/2014 8:57 am  #4

That would be too simple of an explanation wouldn't give any ammunition to those wishing to demonize Duquesne whenever possible.  Seriously, can we just wait and see before attacking instantly!

5/20/2014 11:16 am  #5

levon1975 wrote:

That would be too simple of an explanation wouldn't give any ammunition to those wishing to demonize Duquesne whenever possible.  Seriously, can we just wait and see before attacking instantly!

Really levon? The message to a long-time, long-suffering season ticket holder who is handing over close to $1,000 per year to support Duquesne basketball who questions an unexplained increase in ticket prices is to what, shut up, open his wallet, and "be a good fan?"

IMHO, a little explanation in the letter to season ticket holders would have been nice. Since Bob Derda signed his name to the correspondence, he could have taken 10 seconds to add this information. Just like he could have taken 10 seconds to respond to my email a few months ago when I asked if anything was going on with the NJIT game or if he could point me in the right direction of getting tickets.

It seems to me that the long-time supporters of the program are, at a minimum, being treated a little absent-mindedly. I say that because I don't want to be dragged into the trash-talking nonsense. I know a whole lot of older fans have walked away from season tickets and support of the program. Continuing to beat on the hands that have fed you for decades doesn't seem like a good strategy to me, but hey, what do I know?

5/20/2014 5:22 pm  #6

I didn't mean to start a battle - my point is they should have told us - and I am going to guess they didn't tell us on purpose. It is not the $$ but as they say, it is the principle of the thing.

5/21/2014 5:46 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

I just received my season ticket bill for the upcoming season.    A letter from Robert Derda arrived along with my bill.  There was no mention of the prices being raised in the letter which smells of trying to be sneaky.  Last year, two tickets, two donations, and handling came to
$ 874.00.  This year it comes to $ 910.  $ 36.00 is not much of a raise...$ 18.00 each.  But they should have stated that in the letter...especially for a team that has lost so often.

FAM, for all that we know (next to nothing), this could be a significant price increase if the Dukes have less home games this year vs. last year (15 home games including 2 Consol games, plus 1 exhibition).  What if they only play 13 or 14 home games (so far, they only have said that the Dukes are playing 9 conference games at home)?  I'm not saying they will, but who knows???  We don't know what we are paying for; the invoice gives us no clue on what per ticket game price is being charged.

ED, agree with your term "absent-mindedly"; my thought was "taken for granted".  I also think that having the NCAA Tourney ticket benefit contributes to this lack of communication.

I also have heard that Jared Kramer has left Duquesne for other opportunities in the ticketing world. 

5/21/2014 9:12 pm  #8

Stub Hub?

5/22/2014 7:08 am  #9

ElDuque wrote:

Stub Hub?

That was funny. 

5/22/2014 12:29 pm  #10

I am not saying this to be smart...if ticket prices were raised I presume they need the money.  If it is true that Jared Kramer left, don't replace him.   Robert Derda can continue to do his job and what Jared did in his.  This is done quite frequently in places and they can also take some of the money that went to Jared and give it to Derda.  He would get a slight raise, they would save money by not replacing the other position entirely, and there would be more money in the program.  Just saying...

5/22/2014 3:14 pm  #11

I've heard there's an additional home game this year compared to last year.

5/22/2014 3:23 pm  #12

Actually, it seems odd that season ticket holders are being asked to ante up before the schedule is even released. Is that how it's always done?

5/23/2014 12:04 pm  #13

A-10 schedule is out and it is expanded to 18 games, so you would have another home game in the A-10.

5/23/2014 12:28 pm  #14

Will it replace a non-con, or are we playing more games, or more home games? I know this is rhetorical until the schedule is released ...

5/23/2014 12:38 pm  #15

FAM wrote:

I am not saying this to be smart...if ticket prices were raised I presume they need the money.  If it is true that Jared Kramer left, don't replace him.   Robert Derda can continue to do his job and what Jared did in his.  This is done quite frequently in places and they can also take some of the money that went to Jared and give it to Derda.  He would get a slight raise, they would save money by not replacing the other position entirely, and there would be more money in the program.  Just saying...

Jared Kramer left the employ of Duquesne to take a job with the World Cup in Brazil.  Sounds like quite a change of pace from working on the Bluff.  Currently the Duquesne website shows Jared's former position as as well as the assistant director of ticket sales and services as "To Be Announced": http://www.goduquesne.com/school-bio/duqu-school-bio-staff.html  I understand that Duquesene hopes to fill Jared's former position by this summer. 

5/23/2014 1:06 pm  #16

I dealt with Jared many times over the past few years and he always went above and beyond the call of duty.  He did his job very well and was a credit to the university.  I will miss him.  I wish him all the best.

5/23/2014 2:50 pm  #17

Jared is a great person and always accommodating to anyone. He was brought in by Derda so I don't believe Derda will be taking up his responsibilities. Jared also saved up his vacation to go to Brasil to help coach a camp and needed to take one week without pay for the total  time off he needed. He was given a choice don't go and you can stay, if you go your are done. He went, he got fired, and GA continues his reign!!

5/23/2014 4:27 pm  #18

Scotchngars wrote:

Jared is a great person and always accommodating to anyone. He was brought in by Derda so I don't believe Derda will be taking up his responsibilities. Jared also saved up his vacation to go to Brasil to help coach a camp and needed to take one week without pay for the total  time off he needed. He was given a choice don't go and you can stay, if you go your are done. He went, he got fired, and GA continues his reign!!

I'm curious as to your sources for your posted account of Jared's dismissal.  My source of info was Bob Derda.  I was told the World Cup position was a great opportunity for Jared.  Of course, reasons for someone's dismissal from a job are considered private and generally not to be discussed outside the employers' personnel (human resouces) department. 

5/23/2014 8:35 pm  #19

godukes1970 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

I'm curious as to your sources for your posted account of Jared's dismissal.  My source of info was Bob Derda.  I was told the World Cup position was a great opportunity for Jared.  Of course, reasons for someone's dismissal from a job are considered private and generally not to be discussed outside the employers' personnel (human resouces) department. 

You mean like the CBS leaked letter that destroyed RE's career as a head coach.c'mon man it's Duquesne. Good luck Jared it will all work out.

5/24/2014 7:07 am  #20

Note to Board monitors, if a message can not be referanced, then it should be removed.  We all are aware of the theory that if it's on the internet, it must be true.  However, some of the messages here are very self serving and smack of personal issues.  If something is true, then by all means post it.  But it is geting to the point where the AD department are the one's that killed Kennedy.  That's why, to this point  in my eyes, this is a second rate board and I always wait for comfirmation elsewhere.  I just think fair is fair, and the truth is the truth.  Should the truth be as told here, I would obviously be upset, but as of now, everything here is to be taken with a grain of salt.  And I am not someone's toady, which will be the next post,  Just have a sense of fairness, right or wrong. 

5/24/2014 9:07 am  #21

Prince, I think we owe it to Scotch to answer the question. I have not seen him on the board since his last post. He's been posting on both boards a long time and regardless of his POV, I think he's done enough to prove that he has some inside connections and is at least getting one side of the story -- which is to acknolwedge that there is always more than one side. But it does not mean that what he posted is not true. 

With all due respect, I think your depiction of the board is unfair. We've let everyone speak their mind here, we try to keep the board free of trolls, and lately in the interest of not letting bad things escalate, I have even ignored a couple personal attacks when I certainly have the power to delete the posts and block those leaving the messages. If you look at the time stamp of many of the true news items, we have actually managed to scoop even our much-liked Post-Gazette reporter. I know the guys on the Yuku board are better connected and have better access to information, but I personally am here only as a fan of the "laundry," if you get my drift. I am a long-time fan, an alumnus, I want to see the program be successful, and I've decided to not care about who the AD is, who is coaching, and what else is going on. I have no control or influence or connection to anyone on the program. Regardless of what happens going forward, that is how it is going to be for me. I'm tired of all the back and forth and I am trying not to contribute to it any longer.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and if along my way I've offended you or any other poster, I offer sincere apologies.

I hope you understand my position. If the post disappears, then likely a different board monitor (there are several of us) elected to do it, or perhaps Scotch chose to delete it himself.

I wish the ticket guy a lot of luck. Again, I have no ponies in this race.

Peace.

5/24/2014 11:03 am  #22

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

But it is geting to the point where the AD department are the one's that killed Kennedy. 

I always thought the 3 tramps looked like Red and his staff. 

5/25/2014 5:18 am  #23

I for one had NOTHING but positive experiences with Jared -  Last fall when I inquired if DU was going to have a version of Midnight Madness (we were a few weeks behind the other schools in announcing it etc) he told me it was still under discussion at the time and would notify me when a decision was made.  He did send an email a few days later with the time/date and details.  When I didn't receive my tickets for the two games at the Consol Center when expected -  sent him another email and two days later I got them.  Towards the end of the season he was sending emails about the upcoming games and the winner of the monthly drawings - while NOT earth shaking it was a nice gesture on his part.  (And Duquesne seems to be the only ones who say "if you can't make game X you can exchange for game Y -  I don't know if this was HIS idea but maybe it was) 

5/25/2014 8:21 pm  #24

I also have nothing but positive words for Jared. I asked in March if I could change my five season tickets from A-3 to anywhere. As I explained to him, I have endured 10+ years listening to the TeaParty babble directly behind me sometimes for an entire game and with an election not far off, I had enough. Within 5 days he moved me to A-8 with better seats. He will be missed at least by me.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

5/27/2014 12:38 pm  #25

Having been a men's basketball season ticket holder since 1973 or 1974, I can not recall getting an invoice for season tickets so early.  Last year's season ticket transmittal letter was dated August 1, 2013.  I note that Bob Derda's letter of May 15, 2014, states:

"The deadline to renew your season tickets is July 30.  Your prompt renewal allows us to assign your seat location for the 2015 NCAA Championship 2nd & 3rd Round in advance of the general public."  

My interpretation of this is that the earlier you pay the invoice for the 2014-2015 men's basketball season tickets, your opportunity to get better seat assignments for the NCAA tournament games is improved over what seats you'd be assigned if you wait to pay until the end of July.  I do not believe that this incentive to promptly pay for men's season tickets was employed the last time Duquesne hosted the NCAA tournament games at the Consol.

Last edited by godukes1970 (5/27/2014 2:30 pm)

Board footera