Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2014 8:34 am  #1

Memorial Day

As the son of a WWII vet I can't let the day pass without remembering the men and women who have served our nation and those who continue to defend the freedoms that so many seem to take for granted.

God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

5/26/2014 1:26 pm  #2

Re: Memorial Day

ElDuque wrote:

As the son of a WWII vet I can't let the day pass without remembering the men and women who have served our nation and those who continue to defend the freedoms that so many seem to take for granted.

God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

ED, this day is even more important than Veterans Day. Much love to the veterans, but every veteran will tell you that they are second string to those who are honored on Memorial Day, because the vets came home, while those honored today made the ultimate sacrifice.

All gave some, but some gave all!

5/26/2014 2:31 pm  #3

True sir. Just don't want to leave any out. Many who serve and have served bore witness to the loss of those who we honor today. My father returned home but carried the scars of what he witnessed until he passed away.

5/26/2014 3:00 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

True sir. Just don't want to leave any out. Many who serve and have served bore witness to the loss of those who we honor today. My father returned home but carried the scars of what he witnessed until he passed away.

This is why it is always incumbent upon leaders to pick their fights carefully. In WWII, there was no doubt about the righteousness of our cause, and the country was 100% behind our boys. In Viet Nam, not so much, as many wondered if young lives were being needlessly squandered.

5/26/2014 3:27 pm  #5

And during Vietnam Nam I lost friends, and a boy with whom I had played football just one year earlier went MIA. A rough era for guys like us.

5/26/2014 6:17 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

And during Vietnam Nam I lost friends, and a boy with whom I had played football just one year earlier went MIA. A rough era for guys like us.

Tell me about it. I lost a cousin who was a football star, and one of the most popular guys in my neighborhood. The older guys still get misty talking about him. The medals weren't much consolation.

5/28/2014 4:31 am  #7

Military service is ingrained in my family. My grandfather served in the Marine Corps in France in WWI. My father was in the Army in the Battle of the Bulge in WWII. My brother and I served in the Marine Corps during the Vietnam era and I have another brother who served in the Army during the same period. The Memorial day services have a special place in our hearts. I am overwhelmed by the bravery shown by other who I met.

Board footera