Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2014 1:17 pm  #1

Phil Axelrod

Mike DeCourcey tweeted about the passing of former Post-Gazette sportswriter Phil Axelrod. Ax covered Duquesne basketball for decades, going back to my days as a student. Although I often disagreed with him, and exchanged over the years letters, emails, and other forms of conversation, there certainly was never a personal issue. I feel like another member of the extended DU basketball family has been lost. Prayers for his family!

7/21/2014 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Phil Axelrod

Very sorry to hear about the passing of Ax.  He loved the game of basketball, and I believe he wanted the best for Duquesne basketball.  I enjoyed reading his work as well as talking basketball with him when I got the chance.

7/21/2014 10:34 pm  #3

Phil was just a great, great, great guy.  Enjoyed his company on the road while he covered the Dukes at a time when the newspapers would pay the expenses of a full time reporter.  Also enjoyed golfing with him at Duquesne Golf Club.  He was as red and blue as any of us who post on these web sites.  May he rest in peace. Shaloam!. 

7/22/2014 5:38 pm  #4

I have known Phil for the past 35 years and I always thought he was one of the nicest people on earth. And don't worry about the debates taking on the wrong meaning. He loved to debate as he did with me on numerous occasions. It gave him great enjoyment to formulate the opinion and back it up with his facts. That's why he was such a good writer. I will miss him a great deal.

Board footera