Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2014 1:38 pm  #1

Dukes Non Conference Schedule

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073014aae.html

Enjoy the cupcakes.

Last edited by CLK (7/30/2014 1:44 pm)

7/30/2014 2:34 pm  #2

Re: Dukes Non Conference Schedule

I figured the schedule would look like this, since they would have to play return games against some of the teams they faced last year. Cupcake schedules aren't bad for a team like the Dukes, provided they gobble the cupcakes down. Only the Pitt game would be a major upset, so we need to win between 8 and 10 of these games. 9-2 would be a very nice record to enter league play with. If we can have a successful season, the A10 will require us to upgrade the schedule for next year.
Next year would be the perfect time for us to do another foreign trip in the summer. It will have been 4 years, so we will be eligible to do this. We will have a veteran team that will return everyone except for McCoy. This will be a perfect situation to get some extra practice and games.

7/30/2014 2:40 pm  #3

I think you have to set the over/under at 19 games with this schedule. A little disappointing I think. No games at any major alumni hubs, and Penn State on a weeknight.

7/30/2014 4:36 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

I think you have to set the over/under at 19 games with this schedule. A little disappointing I think. No games at any major alumni hubs, and Penn State on a weeknight.

I feel what you're saying, but the league wants all of it's teams to enter league play with sparkling records. It paid off last year with 6 bids. The Dukes aren't going to be in the mix for an NCAA at large this year, so SOS isn't that important. What's important is to post a good record. If we end up with a record of 19-10, few are going to look at our schedule with a microscope.The perception will be that we are on the rise. This is important for the program. It's easier to sell a program that posts a pretty record against a suspect schedule, than it is to sell a program that plays an impressive schedule, but gets it's brains beat out. In 1977-78, the Dukes played 12 games vs teams that went to the postseason. They went 1-11 in those games, and the coach got fired.

7/30/2014 4:43 pm  #5

On second thought, this schedule is much worse than I imagined it would be. No WVU? That's one of our oldest rivalries? The best games (PSU, Bobby Mo - only because they're regional rivals - and Pitt) are a pair of road games and a neutral court. Slim pickings for the home schedule. No games I can get to easily, unless LaSalle is a Saturday game.  I'll keep the over/under at 19, but unless we have a big A-10 season, knock off Pitt, and win 3 A-10 Tournament games, my fear is that 21 wins might not get us into the NIT.

7/30/2014 5:17 pm  #6

Forgive me for being skeptical, but it is possible that the Dukes will choak on one or two of the cupcakes.  The second game of the season the Dukes play away at Abilene Christian.  We could be 3-4 to start the season and wind up 7-4 or 6-5 with a horrible RPI and little to prepare us for League play.  I love the upbeat thinking, but sorry I don't see 9-2, and would be suprised if the Duke were 8-3.

7/30/2014 5:27 pm  #7

With all due respect, a lot of guys who are more in-the-know than I am have been pummeling me for not being more confident about the direction in which the program is heading. Ferry now has the players he wants, he couldn't get a more favorable schedule without dropping down to the NAIA. He has four returning starters, who most guys think are very solid.

I'm guessing most people will take the over. I sure am. 

7/30/2014 5:55 pm  #8

Seriously I know we suck, but who would pay to see those teams?

Last edited by duqkurt (7/30/2014 5:56 pm)

7/30/2014 9:27 pm  #9

I have no stats on these teams, but this non-con schedule must be the shittiest schedule ever put together for a Duquesne team. Who are we - Carnegie Mellon? I can't believe Ferry went along with this bunch of - what is worse than cupcakes - shortcakes?? It's embarrassing!! Time for more conspiracy theories??

7/30/2014 10:36 pm  #10

Westender wrote:

I have no stats on these teams, but this non-con schedule must be the shittiest schedule ever put together for a Duquesne team. Who are we - Carnegie Mellon? I can't believe Ferry went along with this bunch of - what is worse than cupcakes - shortcakes?? It's embarrassing!! Time for more conspiracy theories??

You do realize that this is mandated by the A10? The league wants all teams to post winning records ooc, in order to maximize the league's RPI. Teams that are expected to be good, are asked to schedule good teams. Teams that are expected to finish near the bottom are expected to schedule lightly. Last year, this policy helped the league garner a record 6 bids to the NCAA Tournament. You may not like it now, but you'll love it if down the road, this policy helps us get a bid.

7/31/2014 7:36 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

You do realize that this is mandated by the A10? The league wants all teams to post winning records ooc, in order to maximize the league's RPI. Teams that are expected to be good, are asked to schedule good teams. Teams that are expected to finish near the bottom are expected to schedule lightly. Last year, this policy helped the league garner a record 6 bids to the NCAA Tournament. You may not like it now, but you'll love it if down the road, this policy helps us get a bid.

I understand what you are saying duq81, but how does Bluefield State a DII team help in any way?   That is not listed as an exhibition game.  

7/31/2014 8:16 am  #12

The picture above says it all.

7/31/2014 10:40 am  #13

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

Mandated by the A10 or not, it's still embarrassing. What do you think the SOS will be?

7/31/2014 10:45 am  #14

Some observations on OOC schedule:
Like ElDuque - Why no WVU? Who said - "Two great coaches, two great programs - that is bad for college athletics, Shame on both of them." Duquesne coach Jim Ferry on Pitt and West Viriginia for not playing each other this season. Who said - "I want to play Pitt every year, I want to play West Viriginia every year, I want to play Robert Morris, I want to play Penn State. I think it is great for the fan base, I think its great for Western Pennsylvania." - Good Old Jimmy Ferry. There could be scheduling conflicts, but just curious for the reason.
Some say RMU has passed us by as number 2 in the city: RMU OOC schedule this season - (RPI # - last year's final RPI) North Carolina (RPI 19) and Georgetown (RPI 84) in a tournament, @Clemson (RPI 62), @Toledo(RPI 41), Delware (RPI 67), Buffalo (RPI 94)
Duquesne OOC schedule - @Abilene Christian (RPI 348), NJIT (RPI 303), Howard (RPI 331), Saint Francis (RPI 299), UMass Lowell (RPI 290), Maryland Eastern Shore (RPI 344), Texas Pan American (RPI 317), rivalry games Pitt (RPI 32), Penn State (RPI 130), Robert Morriss (RPI 122)
Some on this board say A-10 dictates Duquesne's OOC schedule - not true; from Div I coaches and Div I sources some comments - The A-10 suggests you should not play teams higher than a 150 RPI from previous year, of course you need some cupcakes and winning is key and roads wins are better, playing 300 RPI teams at home kills you, important to make sure you can win games to build an RPI
On the Pitt message boards - the Duquesne game at CONSOL is part of their season ticket plan, Duquesne you have to purchase seperately

7/31/2014 11:12 am  #15

Grands wrote:

Some observations on OOC schedule:
Like ElDuque - Why no WVU? Who said - "Two great coaches, two great programs - that is bad for college athletics, Shame on both of them." Duquesne coach Jim Ferry on Pitt and West Viriginia for not playing each other this season. Who said - "I want to play Pitt every year, I want to play West Viriginia every year, I want to play Robert Morris, I want to play Penn State. I think it is great for the fan base, I think its great for Western Pennsylvania." - Good Old Jimmy Ferry. There could be scheduling conflicts, but just curious for the reason.
Some say RMU has passed us by as number 2 in the city: RMU OOC schedule this season - (RPI # - last year's final RPI) North Carolina (RPI 19) and Georgetown (RPI 84) in a tournament, @Clemson (RPI 62), @Toledo(RPI 41), Delware (RPI 67), Buffalo (RPI 94)
Duquesne OOC schedule - @Abilene Christian (RPI 348), NJIT (RPI 303), Howard (RPI 331), Saint Francis (RPI 299), UMass Lowell (RPI 290), Maryland Eastern Shore (RPI 344), Texas Pan American (RPI 317), rivalry games Pitt (RPI 32), Penn State (RPI 130), Robert Morriss (RPI 122)
Some on this board say A-10 dictates Duquesne's OOC schedule - not true; from Div I coaches and Div I sources some comments - The A-10 suggests you should not play teams higher than a 150 RPI from previous year, of course you need some cupcakes and winning is key and roads wins are better, playing 300 RPI teams at home kills you, important to make sure you can win games to build an RPI
On the Pitt message boards - the Duquesne game at CONSOL is part of their season ticket plan, Duquesne you have to purchase seperately

I don't like playing D2 teams, but Ron played a D2 game his last year here as well. I can't imagine that it was Duquesne who nixed a game with WVU, but you seem quick to blame it on Ferry. Also, does anyone really think fans would come out for Buffalo, Toledo, or Delaware? Do you really think we should have whored ourselves out as a cupcake, basically assuring a losing record this year? The ooc is basically the exhibition season. The Dukes are not expected to contend for an at large berth, or even the NIT this year, so sos is really not that important. That said, next year is a different story. Next year's team should expect to play in the NIT at the least, and to be, a fringe buble team, thus sos will be important, even though none of the teams they add to the home schedule will be attractive draws, despite the fact that they should be decent teams.

7/31/2014 11:29 am  #16

I would say Buffalo, Toledo and Delaware are more like the teams we have played OOC in recent history.

7/31/2014 11:43 am  #17

In Ron's last year they did play a Div II school in DC, but was part of a tournament - no control over it. In 2010-11 season they opened with Bluefield State and then played at RMU and lost - I think they regret opening with Bluefield State now. I never blamed Ferry on WVU game, just curious and I said it could be scheduling conflict. In 2011-12 season WVU had a conflict with their scheduling and could not play Duquesne that year, but they did give up their home game with Duquesne, thus 2010-11 season and 2012-13 season Duquesne played WVU at Consol and Duquesne won, so I can't see WVU not playing Duquesne since they don't play Pitt. It could be a conflict in scheduling, but would be nice if Athletic Department said due to scheduling problems, WVU will not be on the schedule, but will be on next year or two years from now. As far as playing  Buffalo, Toledo or Delaware top 100 programs over AC, NJIT, etc 300 programs - I will leave up to true College basketball fans. 

7/31/2014 11:44 am  #18

I think it would be different if there was some logic to the cupcakes, but I don't see any. No rivalries, no old foes from by-gone days, nothing like that. It's hard to imagine the conference telling us who to play, and allowing us to play schools that have owned us the past couple of years (Pitt and Bobby Mo). This is an awkward schedule. But again, if the idea is to load up on these schools to win, then we need to win this year.

7/31/2014 11:49 am  #19

Thanks Grands for the research on the RPI. I do not believe this is what the League had in mind for scheduling.  This has to be the worst OOC schedule in the League.  Unless we beat Pitt, and/or PSU or RMU even if we win all the rest we will bring a horrible RPI into League play. That can't help the League.  God forbid we lose to the likes of Abilene Christian.  Speaking of  Abilene Christian I believe DU will be the only D1 OOC home game for them.

7/31/2014 2:49 pm  #20

This schedule is terrible. Duquesne can play who they want. They chose these teams. If you thought the attendance was bad last year, just wait!,,

7/31/2014 4:53 pm  #21

After looking at the schedule, 5 of the games are return games from last year. These are all vs crap teams. Obviously, we signed 2 year contracts, and were obligated to play these schools again this year. I wonder if something fell through late (maybe a tournament), and if the D2 school was a last second replacement ( a cheap opponent that wouldn't ask for a return game)? I wonder, is Duquesne seen as such a zero, that we can't get even crap schools to play us here, without requiring a return game? Can we reach a point where we can get decent level teams to come here, without having to play them on the road, or at least make it a 2 for 1 type deal? I'm talking about America East, or Summit League type teams. Road games vs those types of teams are just a no win situation.

Last edited by duq81 (7/31/2014 4:58 pm)

7/31/2014 7:51 pm  #22

You ask a more profound question here than on the other board. You're going to get two answers here.
1. Have faith! Big-time recruits coming in, four returning starters. Let others take us lightly; we're going to feast on this schedule, help the A-10 get a bunch of teams into the Dance, and we'll be dancing soon ourselves.
2. The program is an absolute joke! Losing Soko means we take a step back this year, even with this schedule.

I think the answer is somewhere in between. I think the schedule is a joke, from the presence of the DII to the absence of Thuggins' team. I think the schedule might help us win 9-10 games before January, but I don't think this slate helps us get ready for the A-10, and we could certainly end up with 5 conference wins.

14 wins, I think, would be a great disappointment, but a greater failure on the part of the Amodio-Ferry team. 

It's certainly not the step towards "the next level" that we ought to be taking. 

But I don't want to beat this to death. It's July, at least for a few more hours, and I'll optimistically hope we can win 20 games this year.

8/01/2014 9:05 am  #23

I'm pretty new here and I found this forum when a local kid signed to Duquesne and will be a freshman this year. The question I have for the forum is, who do you want them to play? I agree the non-conf schedule is weak, but you have a pretty young team and granted you have four returning starters, but you have one senior. In my opinion building confindence is key, if you go 9-2 or 8-3 in your first 11 games you start build that confidence going into conf play.

8/01/2014 11:12 am  #24

Neo - the counter to your comment relates to the potential to build false confidence.  If the Dukes beat up on weak programs, they might overestimate their capability and be in for some nasty surprises when they face legitimate A10 caliber programs.  I would prefer they schedule teams in the 100 - 150 RPI range.

8/01/2014 11:42 am  #25

Welcome neoprep! Certainly not a DII. Don't know why WVU is off the schedule. Plenty of "good Catholic schools" around (Seton Hall, DePaul, BC, St. John's). Some old conference rivals (Xavier, Temple). Bottom feeders of bigger conferences looking for "winnable games." There were rumors of Youngstown State ... why not them? Ohio? Bowling Green? Why not a Patriot League game (Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, Holy Cross)? Why not a military academy (Army, Navy, Air Force)?

The other way to look at it, and a few guys have mentioned this: season ticket holders have to be disappointed. Who wants to shell out money before Christmas to see the likes of Howard and NJIT?

Board footera