Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2014 9:54 pm  #1

Dukes at #81 in Top 144 Previews

Joel Welser has the Dukes at #8 in the A-10 and a projected NIT bid in his preseason Top 144 team analysis.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/9666

8/20/2014 12:29 am  #2

Re: Dukes at #81 in Top 144 Previews

Wow! On the A10 board, everyone assumed that the Dukes would be outside of the top 144.

8/20/2014 8:30 am  #3

This is a very insightful and well articulated and balanced analysis of the Dukes.  The man either saw them this summer or got a ton of information from local sources to use in crafting his article. 

8/20/2014 8:48 am  #4

grammudder wrote:

This is a very insightful and well articulated and balanced analysis of the Dukes.  The man either saw them this summer or got a ton of information from local sources to use in crafting his article. 

Can't be true. The Dukes suck. I know, I read it on this board.

8/20/2014 8:48 am  #5

I think this is as good a preseason analysis that we will see. However, I don't think the analysis justifies the conclusion of a NIT bid. Hope I'm wrong. 

8/20/2014 10:59 am  #6

Big improvement.  I hope Duquesne is rewarded by an NIT bid to someplace warm.

8/20/2014 12:38 pm  #7

Listen, much of what's written here -- minus the first-hand accounts -- are the opinions and observations for which I am ripped by both the "koolaid drinkers" and the "talk me off the ledge" gang. I say this tongue-in-cheek, but it's true. Also true is that even if the reporter watched every summer league game, we still have to keep in in perspective. TJ tore up the summer league for two years, and while he played well for us he certainly did not dominate.

I hold to my theory that we may be an 18-win team with some luck this year, although our soft schedule may prevent any kind of postseason bid. A nice run in the A-10 Tournament would certainly help our chances, as would a down year among other conferences. I would be overjoyed with any additional wins, and an NIT bid, but there are still a lot of unknowns, so why not just sit back and watch it develop?

8/20/2014 1:46 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

Listen, much of what's written here -- minus the first-hand accounts -- are the opinions and observations for which I am ripped by both the "koolaid drinkers" and the "talk me off the ledge" gang. I say this tongue-in-cheek, but it's true. Also true is that even if the reporter watched every summer league game, we still have to keep in in perspective. TJ tore up the summer league for two years, and while he played well for us he certainly did not dominate.

I hold to my theory that we may be an 18-win team with some luck this year, although our soft schedule may prevent any kind of postseason bid. A nice run in the A-10 Tournament would certainly help our chances, as would a down year among other conferences. I would be overjoyed with any additional wins, and an NIT bid, but there are still a lot of unknowns, so why not just sit back and watch it develop?

Modest optimism may be in order. The weak schedule won't help us get into the NIT, but I don't think the CBI cares about such, so 18 wins would likely get us in there.

8/20/2014 3:34 pm  #9

I might appreciate a CBI bid, you might appreciate a CBI bid, but you can't please all Duquesne fans all the time, and I wonder if you can please any of them any of the time.

8/20/2014 5:02 pm  #10

ED, expectations rise and fall. A CBI bid would please most at this particular time. That said, we know what the ultimate goal is. Anything less will be a disappointment.  "In the __ o'clock game, in the ____ subregional, being played at_________, the number _ seed, the ________ of ________, out of the _________, will be playing the number _ seed, the Dukes of Duquesne, out of the Atlantic 10."
This is what we want to hear in the next few years.

8/21/2014 7:19 am  #11

The reason I don't read these glowing reports is that they are based on - what? - an outside observance by someone who probably couldn't find Palumbo. The NIT? Really? Based on what? That we lost our best player and two good bench players, and the evaluation of first-time starters? I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone can do that accurately. And don't you have to pay to get into the CBI?

8/21/2014 8:25 am  #12

I believe we'll know by the end of December where this team is headed. However, I was ready to bail two years ago but after watching the summer league games and reading the blurbs, I can say I'm cautiously optimistic. True, the summer games are not a reliable barometer. TJ was mentioned as burning up the summer league, well this summer we had 5 or 6 players burning up the summer league. So, if that results in 5 or 6 solid players for next year (counting our two sit-outs) then we are to something. Wait and hope. 

Last edited by KenOTR73 (8/21/2014 8:26 am)

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/21/2014 9:12 am  #13

KenOTR73 wrote:

I believe we'll know by the end of December where this team is headed. However, I was ready to bail two years ago but after watching the summer league games and reading the blurbs, I can say I'm cautiously optimistic. True, the summer games are not a reliable barometer. TJ was mentioned as burning up the summer league, well this summer we had 5 or 6 players burning up the summer league. So, if that results in 5 or 6 solid players for next year (counting our two sit-outs) then we are to something. Wait and hope. 

This is it. We always had one or two players who shined in the summer league, and they usually did pretty well for us. I can never remember having so many players who made an impression during the summer.

As for the two reserves we lost, gimme a break. Trayvon was glued to the bench after the season's midpoint, and if we can't do better than Jerry Jones, well, it really is hopeless. As for Soko, yes, he was a good player, but most teams lose their best player every year, as most often, your best player will be a senior. We will be losing our best player again this year (McCoy), and again after next year (Mason).

8/21/2014 11:32 am  #14

Ritter, don't forget, when Everhart was fired and Ferry selected to replace him, we were told that the change was made to take us to the next level. Well, it's time. I root for the laundry, I'm not drinking anyone's koolaid, I'm not boldly predicting 29-0 and an easy walk to the Final Four. I'm saying: easy schedule, veteran leaders, influx of young talent, depth up front and in the backcourt. I'd feel most comfortable hearing that Mason, McCoy, Gill and Ridenour will be taking most of the shots next year, and I do worry that we still have some carryover of a lack of discipline in ball movement and shooting that could easily derail us, but I think when you really weigh all of the factors, there's every reason to believe that the record, overall, SHOULD be good. The only thing I can't address is what it will buy us; I think the schedule's too soft to help us unless we tear up the A-10 (not likely).

8/21/2014 1:45 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Ritter, don't forget, when Everhart was fired and Ferry selected to replace him, we were told that the change was made to take us to the next level. Well, it's time. I root for the laundry, I'm not drinking anyone's koolaid, I'm not boldly predicting 29-0 and an easy walk to the Final Four. I'm saying: easy schedule, veteran leaders, influx of young talent, depth up front and in the backcourt. I'd feel most comfortable hearing that Mason, McCoy, Gill and Ridenour will be taking most of the shots next year, and I do worry that we still have some carryover of a lack of discipline in ball movement and shooting that could easily derail us, but I think when you really weigh all of the factors, there's every reason to believe that the record, overall, SHOULD be good. The only thing I can't address is what it will buy us; I think the schedule's too soft to help us unless we tear up the A-10 (not likely).

Don't waste your time. These folks are rooting for the Dukes to lose, so that the AD will be fired. Myself, I'm rooting for the team. If the result is that the AD ends up looking good, so be it. As I have said many times, my problem with the AD was more over the classless way he executed the move, as opposed to the move itself, although I myself would have given RE another year.

8/22/2014 7:55 am  #16

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Don't waste your time. These folks are rooting for the Dukes to lose, so that the AD will be fired. Myself, I'm rooting for the team. If the result is that the AD ends up looking good, so be it. As I have said many times, my problem with the AD was more over the classless way he executed the move, as opposed to the move itself, although I myself would have given RE another year.

I don't root for them to lose. I'm just not going to blindly be positive unless I'm shown a reason to be. Do you think a 17-win season is going to get us an NIT bid with a 270 RPI? Fine. It's just not dealing in reality. Also, I would never tell anyone to be negative for the sake of being negative. 

Board footera