Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2014 12:09 pm  #26

Re: New radio home for the Dukes

CLK wrote:

grammudder wrote:

And so the logical conclusion is that DUKURT should be the A.D. and Rittersdinner should have Bob Derda's job.  Now there's a pair that would beat a full house any day.  Guys, get a life that goes on wthout Complaining.  I get tired of coming to this board and seeing crepe hanging, absolute negativism and just plain childish ranting.  Go to the friggin' games so you wont have to channel surf your way through the radio/website litany of local schools who are ahead of  the Dukes.

Typical Amodio apologist.  You can't attack the argument so you attack the person.  I am sorry to see that Dukurt deleted his post because of your bullying.  It was a good post and tells it like it is.  I am also tired of hearing you Complain about the posters here.  Instead of coming here to Complain about, and bully, the posters who care about the program and tell the truth, stick with the kool aid board and enjoy blaming everthing on Everhart.

C'mon, we can't be running people off of the board because we don't agree with them. If I haven't run Ritter's, and Scotch n Gars, whom I almost never agree with, I can't see Gram, who is just as much a supporter of the program as those two are, being run off of the board. This board has always been a place where we can get a bit more feisty than the other board. Let's keep it that way.

9/02/2014 4:15 pm  #27

I think it's important that the guys with the closest ties to the program post here, because they have all of the access to the information. So I'm not trying to scare Grammy away. He is one of the main reasons why I am optimistic about this season, and why I have predicted 18 wins. I think Kurt raised some excellent points. I think folks like Grammy - who have on-demand access to the AD and Coach - forget that there are little people like me who depend on things like radio coverage, etc. Even local season ticket holders want to hear road games. It's sad that we are currently the #3 team in our market, and have to take what we can get from the radio landscape, but this is where we have fallen. If in my lifetime we can knock off Pitt and Bobby Mo on a regular basis, then maybe better radio stations will be interested.

Meantime, we need guys like Grammy to keep us informed.

9/02/2014 4:51 pm  #28

I wouldn't worry about Grammy.  I went to just about every Pro-Am this summer, and he was always there chatting with the players.  He may get a little ticked off on the troll board, but he'll put up his Dukes (lol).  He's just stating what more than one reader feels, but if you can't stand the trolling, just be a fan in the stands.  Most fans don't sit in the stands and listen to game on a radio anyway.  And the Gang Of Five will always bring the negative vibes anyhow, no matter how succesful or unsuccessful the Dukes are, but then again, do you really care?

9/02/2014 6:03 pm  #29

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

I wouldn't worry about Grammy.  I went to just about every Pro-Am this summer, and he was always there chatting with the players.  He may get a little ticked off on the troll board, but he'll put up his Dukes (lol).  He's just stating what more than one reader feels, but if you can't stand the trolling, just be a fan in the stands.  Most fans don't sit in the stands and listen to game on a radio anyway.  And the Gang Of Five will always bring the negative vibes anyhow, no matter how succesful or unsuccessful the Dukes are, but then again, do you really care?

Who are the Gang of Five?     

I don't think anyone was trolling in this thread actually.  I didn't like the characterization of my posts on the topic as 14 posts of venom.   When It was nothing of the sort.   I think a new radio contract is of note to discuss. Especially after I brought up the topic in another thread when I read rumors of 104.7 changing formats. 

You can follow the time line of when I got angry.  When I couldn't get a reasonable answer to a relatively simple question from the Learfield sports rep.

9/02/2014 6:23 pm  #30

Forget the "Gang" referance, it's old school.  The radio contract should be a point of concern, but there is so much "the sky is falling" posts that legit posts get lost.  You do have a point, though...

9/02/2014 7:37 pm  #31

duqkurt wrote:

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

Who are the Gang of Five?

I don't think anyone was trolling in this thread actually. I didn't like the characterization of my posts on the topic as 14 posts of venom. When It was nothing of the sort. I think a new radio contract is of note to discuss. Especially after I brought up the topic in another thread when I read rumors of 104.7 changing formats.

You can follow the time line of when I got angry. When I couldn't get a reasonable answer to a relatively simple question from the Learfield sports rep.

Honestly, I think what happened is pretty simple. Pitt is the big dog, and is nearly always going to get first crack at any radio station. The Fan is the big dog, and that's where Pitt is. The Dukes were tired of being on weak signal AM stations, and they took a shot with the only FM station that was interested. RMU then took the third option, which was the lesser sports station, am970. Unfortunately, when 104.7 decided to change formats, they no longer wanted DU basketball. This basically has left us with nowhere to go. The sad fact is that outside of some old folks, and a few alums, no one in Pittsburgh really cares about Duquesne hoops anymore, thus no other radio station was really interested in giving us a home. It's not like we could just bump RMU out of their home. In hindsight, we probably should have signed up with 970 in the beginning, but it was nice being on a station with a strong signal.

9/03/2014 8:21 am  #32

CLK wrote:

grammudder wrote:

And so the logical conclusion is that DUKURT should be the A.D. and Rittersdinner should have Bob Derda's job.  Now there's a pair that would beat a full house any day.  Guys, get a life that goes on wthout Complaining.  I get tired of coming to this board and seeing crepe hanging, absolute negativism and just plain childish ranting.  Go to the friggin' games so you wont have to channel surf your way through the radio/website litany of local schools who are ahead of  the Dukes.

Typical Amodio apologist.  You can't attack the argument so you attack the person.  I am sorry to see that Dukurt deleted his post because of your bullying.  It was a good post and tells it like it is.  I am also tired of hearing you Complain about the posters here.  Instead of coming here to Complain about, and bully, the posters who care about the program and tell the truth, stick with the kool aid board and enjoy blaming everthing on Everhart.

First, you aren't going to run me off. I will post when I feel like it.If you think it's too negative, fine. I look at it as being realistic. When there are accomplishments, like beating a top-25 team last year, then I'm happy. But I am not going to predict an 18-win season and NIT bid on this talent or that schedule. I don't think that's negative. I think that's realistic.

9/03/2014 10:28 am  #33

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

I take exception to "the troll board." First, it's an unfair characteristic because we do empty the troll trash bin regularly. We try to allow people to express their opinions, and we do have rules. You, sir, have in fact gotten away with a lot more than others. Second, you're making a personal attack against posters who disagree with your position. The personal attack stuff is the essence of trolling. So if you wish to continue to post here, please behave.

9/03/2014 10:38 am  #34

rittersdiner wrote:

CLK wrote:

grammudder wrote:

First, you aren't going to run me off. I will post when I feel like it.If you think it's too negative, fine. I look at it as being realistic. When there are accomplishments, like beating a top-25 team last year, then I'm happy. But I am not going to predict an 18-win season and NIT bid on this talent or that schedule. I don't think that's negative. I think that's realistic.

I did not predict NIT sir. I don't think a bid is possible because of the schedule. However, because of the schedule and scouting reports from the summer league, I continue to predict 18 wins.  It's year 3, all the players are Ferry's, we have the best shooter in the country, and we've brought in some talented recruits. At some point, we have to expect something better, because we were told that Ferry is the coach to bring us to the next level. Unlike most (younger) people, I don't expect to be around forever. I want to see results now, and based on what I've been reading (and you, sir, have convinced me that this schedule is for <rhymes with Pitt>), I shall stick with 18 wins. Anything better will be icing and a cherry; anything less will disappoint me.

Board footera