Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2014 10:06 pm  #1

Marshall Macheledt

I have never heard of the kid, but there is an April story in a Carolina newspaper saying he signed with Duquesne. I'm guessing "preferred walk on?"

5/13/2014 12:16 am  #2

Re: Marshall Macheledt

ElDuque wrote:

I have never heard of the kid, but there is an April story in a Carolina newspaper saying he signed with Duquesne. I'm guessing "preferred walk on?"

[url=http://www.news-record.com/blogs/hsxtra/article_b2fa6876-c56e-11e3-865b-001a4bcf6878.html​]http://www.news-record.com/blogs/hsxtra/article_b2fa6876-c56e-11e3-865b-001a4bcf6878.html[/url]

5/13/2014 5:13 am  #3

I googled his name he is listed at 6-8/6-9  210 (stats looked kind of low from two of his games) was recently at the Bob Gibbons All Star Camp

5/13/2014 9:23 am  #4

In some instances, a coach may designate an athlete as a "preferred walk-on" during the scouting process. In this situation, the athlete is assured a spot on the team, but the coach is unable or unwilling to offer a scholarship.

Now, I don't know if this young man IS a preferred walk-on, or if he plans to attend DU and walk-on, if Jimmy Ferry knows him, or knows that he has made this announcement. I know the Yuku guys are better connected to the program so they probably know.

5/13/2014 9:58 am  #5

[list=1]
[*]
[list=1]
[*]  Greensboro Day ‏@GreensboroDay[/url] Apr 15 Marshall Macheledt signing his letter of intent this morning to play basketball [url=https://twitter.com/GoDuquesne]@GoDuquesne
According to this post, this kid signed a Letter of Intent on the first day of the signing period.  If he is a walk on why would he sign a NLI?  I am unaware of walk ons signing NLI. 
[/list]
[/list]

Last edited by CLK (5/13/2014 9:58 am)

5/13/2014 10:33 am  #6

Hey all, Marshall Macheledt will be a walk-on, and I think his family/school just got a bit excited and made it a big announcement. It's not really a preferred walk-on, I'm told — the difference being that a preferred walk-on is guaranteed a spot on the roster (but no scholarship) and a regular ol' walk-on has to go through a tryout of some sort.

And despite what that article says, Marshall did not sign a letter of intent, because walk-ons aren't permitted to sign them. It was probably his Duquesne acceptance letter or something like that.

5/13/2014 10:33 am  #7

My friend, unless there is another Duquesne, I do not know. This is a great mystery to me.

5/13/2014 10:38 am  #8

From Stephen Nesbitt's Dukes Dispatches on Twitter: For the curious: 6'8" F Marshall Macheledt (Greensboro, N.C.) will walk on at DUQ. Not preferred walk-on, I'm told, and did not sign LOI.

5/13/2014 3:01 pm  #9

stephenjnesbitt wrote:

Hey all, Marshall Macheledt will be a walk-on, and I think his family/school just got a bit excited and made it a big announcement. It's not really a preferred walk-on, I'm told — the difference being that a preferred walk-on is guaranteed a spot on the roster (but no scholarship) and a regular ol' walk-on has to go through a tryout of some sort.

And despite what that article says, Marshall did not sign a letter of intent, because walk-ons aren't permitted to sign them. It was probably his Duquesne acceptance letter or something like that.

Stephen, I missed seeing your post before I commented on the tweet. Thanks again. We appreciate the coverage, the analysis, and the insights.

5/13/2014 5:14 pm  #10

Hey, no harm here. He's probably no worse than some of the big guys we've wasted scholarships on over the last 40 years, and he's paying his own way. Maybe he'll be a 6'9" Jason Duty.

9/05/2014 10:34 am  #11

There are 16 players in uniform in this photo, but only 15 players listed on the roster. I am guessing that #45 is Marshall Macheledt.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/duqu-m-baskbl-mtt.html

9/05/2014 11:27 am  #12

13 is Jackson and 4 is Castro?

9/05/2014 4:05 pm  #13

Sloppy job by whoever did that page.

9/05/2014 4:14 pm  #14

I found this old article. Apparently, he was at a camp where good old Danny Nee was coaching. Wonder if Nee had anything to do with him coming here?

http://hoopgroup.com/elite-camp-updates/live-blog-academic-elite-session-2-day-two/

9/05/2014 8:54 pm  #15

The men's basketball page is always "off" in some way. Not that I think I can do a better job than Aomdio or Derda.

Board footera