Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2014 12:49 pm  #51

Re: blog future teller

Westender wrote:

Yes, I  read the whole piece. And I stand by my comments about the article. I believe you when you say you meant no malice toward Ron Everhart, but given the circumsatances of his departure, I think you used poor judgement in choosing that topic for your blog and in thinking that it would not get the reaction that it did. Ron was not only fired. He was humiliated in the process. Regardless of your intentions, you added to that humiliation. And I apologize for my comment about ads putting money in your pocket. I'm glad you clarified that.

I'm surprised the conversation spilled over here. I'm not surprised that it ruffled a few feathers. I don't take on much controversy with my topics and for good reason, there usually isn't any. However, I'd bore myself let alone the people who read if I didn't take a risk every so often.

I think at the end of the day, I wasn't the person who humiliated Everhart and I don't necessarily feel that because he was humliated that he's therefore protected subject matter. I think he's has handled what's been thrown his way with grace and I wish him no ill will as a human being or as a professional. I still celebrate him, his accomplishments and I'll give him all the credit due his way. That said, I'll critique him and I won't pile on undeserved credit either.

And thank you for the apology.

9/11/2014 12:57 pm  #52

What exactly are you critiquing? Ron's gone. His players are gone. Ferry's here. His players are here. Including him in any conversation serves what purpose? Especially since you have often suggested that others move on because he's gone?

9/11/2014 5:57 pm  #53

ElDuque wrote:

What exactly are you critiquing? Ron's gone. His players are gone. Ferry's here. His players are here. Including him in any conversation serves what purpose? Especially since you have often suggested that others move on because he's gone?

Good point ED. And Steve - I've said what I've had to say on this topic. Just remember that you are open to criticism just as the subjects of your writing are.

Last edited by Westender (9/11/2014 6:03 pm)

9/11/2014 8:33 pm  #54

Westender wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Good point ED. And Steve - I've said what I've had to say on this topic. Just remember that you are open to criticism just as the subjects of your writing are.

Westerender, Completely agree and I welcome it.

ED, I think I answered that question under my second point of my original post in this thread. I also think it's worth noting that I'm looking at the past to explain the present. You're right these are Ferry's players, but ultimately, there should still be some of Everhart's left. That to me is a problem and a big part of why the team has struggled. You are welcome to disagree with this premise.

Last edited by steve19981 (9/11/2014 8:34 pm)

9/11/2014 9:14 pm  #55

steve19981 wrote:

Westender wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Westerender, Completely agree and I welcome it.

ED, I think I answered that question under my second point of my original post in this thread. I also think it's worth noting that I'm looking at the past to explain the present. You're right these are Ferry's players, but ultimately, there should still be some of Everhart's left. That to me is a problem and a big part of why the team has struggled. You are welcome to disagree with this premise.

Of course you can make the arguement that it was Ferry's choice to ease those guys out the door. Then again, I'm sure that Ferry would have been happy to keep Donovan Jack had he decided to still come.

9/12/2014 12:09 pm  #56

A couple of comments on all of this.
The job of rebuilding Duquesne University basketball -- and all of us should acknowledge that it was a rebuilding project at that point, despite Ron's success -- looked different to Ron than it did to Jim.

Ron knew what he had in his returning players, knew what he expected/hoped for in his recruits, understood the impact of his losses, had to recognize that he needed to fire a couple of coaches, was feeling pressure from Greg and perhaps other sources, had mapped out a recruiting strategy, and was trying to implement a Plan B. Does anyone think the scenario that Ron was facing was his first choice for his current situation? 

The same situation looked much different to Jim. He didn't know the players, all he knew was that on film they didn't fit his system. He hadn't been talking to the same recruits, as far as I could see. He fortunately did not have the McConnell-Talley baggage with which to deal. Unfortunately, the bed-wetting performance that started with Ron's firing and continued through the public humiliation of a leading candidate turning down our job, what, three times publicly, had created  the type of stain that had been lifted from the program when Ron was hired.

The loss of McConnell and Talley, plus the graduation of Eric Evans, left the program without a point guard, without an on-floor leader, and certainly without a couple proven A-10 players. For Ron, who was banking on his latest round of recruits (signed and unsigned), it would probably have been a struggle to finish .500, although as he proved over the course of 5 years, he had the ability to coach a reloaded team successfully.

Despite Greg's assertions that success in the program was not sustainable under those conditions, five years is actually a decent yardstick. Another .500 season, a jump led by a sophomore-dominated team the next year, a trip back to the NIT the year after that -- who knows? I'm not saying it WOULD have happened; I'm giving a guy the benefit of the doubt based on his track record.

Instead, Greg drags the university through the muck, then gives Jim the job of rebuilding. Year 1, he inherits a dinged-up Datt, an Abele who could rebound & push around big bodies but lacked hands, a Panto who was athletic but who played out of position in Jim's system, a couple guys with solid A-10 experience in Johnson and Jones. And some others who were clearly bench players. All had to make an adjustment to Jim's way of doing things, plus he brought in a couple of his own guys around whom he clearly (and rightfully) intended to build.

So all of those guys are gone. And we want to talk about being surprised, or assessing blame, or whatever we think the narrative should be.

So here is my final word.

Great minds talk about ideas. Let's do this, here, on Yuku, anywhere where we talk Duquesne basketball.

Average minds talk about the weather. Basketball is played indoors.

Below average minds talk about people. Please, let's stop. This is not meant to be preachy, or to insult anyone, or provoke any controversies. If we're going to talk about people, let's talk about how players are developing, how DC is beating cancer, how coach is out talking to this kid and that kid, etc. That stuff is cool.

Board footera