Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2014 12:35 pm  #1

First commitment

Tottenville senior forward Nakye Sanders has committed to Duquesne, per his coach, Chris Alesi.

Sanders picks DU over Temple, VCU, La Salle, Drexel, St. John's, Towson, Old Dominion and Seton Hall.

Last edited by ElDuque (10/06/2014 12:42 pm)

10/06/2014 1:35 pm  #2

10/06/2014 2:02 pm  #3

Re: First commitment

Congratulations to coach Ferry & Staff.  This kid was a priority recruit. 

Saw this photo on Twitter.  Welcome to Duquesne Nakye.

Last edited by CLK (10/06/2014 2:04 pm)

10/06/2014 3:00 pm  #4

I'm obviously very pleased with the committment.  We had one spot to give and I think we used it wisely.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

10/06/2014 3:06 pm  #5

10/06/2014 7:16 pm  #6

I liked this quote from Sander's coach in Nesbitt's article:  "He is definitely still growing,” Woodman said. “He could just get huge and nasty. … By the time he shows up at Duquesne he could be 6-10, 240.”

Also here is a blurb from Adam Zagoria
http://zagsblog.com/articles/nakye-sanders-to-duquesne/

Last edited by CLK (10/06/2014 7:19 pm)

10/06/2014 8:03 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

I liked this quote from Sander's coach in Nesbitt's article:  "He is definitely still growing,” Woodman said. “He could just get huge and nasty. … By the time he shows up at Duquesne he could be 6-10, 240.”

Also here is a blurb from Adam Zagoria
http://zagsblog.com/articles/nakye-sanders-to-duquesne/

You know how much I've been calling for more size. I'm very happy about this. The idea of him and Robinson together for 3 years is just awesome. Teams in the A10 don't usually have this kind of size and bulk. When you get to the NCAA's, you need this kind of size to compete with the big boys.

10/06/2014 8:05 pm  #8

Sounds likea GREAT get -  as for all those rebounds am remided of a quote by Moses Malone -  once said "I'd like to thank all those guys ..  for missing all those shots.. and making all those rebounds possible"

Welcome to the Bluff Nakye!!

10/06/2014 8:41 pm  #9

We will be adding 3 very nice pieces to the roster next year. What I like, is that Ferry is not stacking talent in one or two classes. Some coaches like to set things up to have a senior and junior dominated team in their fourth or fifth year. These guys will be 3 and 4 year starters. The team has a big year, the coach gets a better job, and the program crashes the following year. Ferry is trying to set us up for a sustained run. If we can string together 2-3 very good years, we could become a force in this league over a sustained period of time, as winning will allow the coaches to recruit at a higher level. I don't want to assume too much, but this is why I preferred Ferry over Dambrot. Ferry is looking to climb the ladder. There are no guarantees of course, but when you land the right rising coach, he can really lift a program to great heights. An older guy like Dambrot was only going to lift us so high. Ron might well have done this, but for the shooting.

10/07/2014 4:59 am  #10

this is a great 'get.' feels like we finally got the guy that we really went for after all of those misses. I really like what coach is doing. something special is cooking on the bluff!

10/07/2014 6:04 am  #11

heelsdukesfan wrote:

this is a great 'get.' feels like we finally got the guy that we really went for after all of those misses. I really like what coach is doing. something special is cooking on the bluff!

Don't forget that Rene Castro was our main target 2 years ago. We didn't get him then, but he's here now. They probably won't sign anyone else, but they'll keep recruiting, in case someone decides to leave after the season.

10/07/2014 5:05 pm  #12

Nakye is a former football player who has been describe as a rebounding machine. Looking at the video below (Nakye is #20 in blue) I can see why.  A few years ago the Dukes missed out on a tough football guy turned basketball player.  Pitt came in late and stole Chevy Troutman who led to Pitt's basketball resurgency.  Hopefully it is our turn to steal one of these guys.

10/07/2014 6:21 pm  #13

Hey did you see who is coach is?  John Woodman!

Wow, Gabe Kotter's old principal from Buchanan High is still working in public education 4 decades later.

Awesome!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/08/2014 7:32 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

We will be adding 3 very nice pieces to the roster next year. What I like, is that Ferry is not stacking talent in one or two classes. Some coaches like to set things up to have a senior and junior dominated team in their fourth or fifth year. These guys will be 3 and 4 year starters. The team has a big year, the coach gets a better job, and the program crashes the following year. Ferry is trying to set us up for a sustained run. If we can string together 2-3 very good years, we could become a force in this league over a sustained period of time, as winning will allow the coaches to recruit at a higher level. I don't want to assume too much, but this is why I preferred Ferry over Dambrot. Ferry is looking to climb the ladder. There are no guarantees of course, but when you land the right rising coach, he can really lift a program to great heights. An older guy like Dambrot was only going to lift us so high. Ron might well have done this, but for the shooting.

10/08/2014 7:42 am  #15

Well said if not for the shooting Ron would have made a big splash. Dambrot got two raises by threatening to take GA's multiple offers. If you are going to fire your coach with 2 years on contract you have his replacement locked in. Coach Ferry benefited & has an opportunity at Duquesne. I know this is a Duquesne board but WVU is loaded thanks in part to Ron .

10/08/2014 10:45 am  #16

Ironduke81 wrote:

Well said if not for the shooting Ron would have made a big splash. Dambrot got two raises by threatening to take GA's multiple offers. If you are going to fire your coach with 2 years on contract you have his replacement locked in. Coach Ferry benefited & has an opportunity at Duquesne. I know this is a Duquesne board but WVU is loaded thanks in part to Ron .

Actually, GA did have his coach, Dino Gaudio. He just didn't anticipate that we were not going to stand for it. I think he thought that Dino would excite us. He thought wrong. Dambrot did us a favor by not coming here. More and more, I'm thinking that we got the right guy, and that GA got lucky with his first choice. I didn't want a guy who had failed as a head coach. I wanted a rising star, and we may have just that.

10/08/2014 2:44 pm  #17

Dino excites me. Like food poisoning after a bad meal.

10/08/2014 10:32 pm  #18

ElDuque wrote:

Dino excites me. Like food poisoning after a bad meal.

LOL!

10/11/2014 7:59 am  #19

10/11/2014 9:45 am  #20

Another article on Sanders from the NY Post
http://nypost.com/2014/10/11/staten-island-a-hotbed-for-basetball-talent/

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (10/11/2014 10:03 am)

Board footera